• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six-year old boy gets burned when a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes in his hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
How have they not issued an official recall and disabled the phones yet. Ridiculous. I know they're just getting around to attempting to do this but jeeeeeebus.

The Argus

Sad. If Verizon/AT&T/Sprint can alert everyone in my office about a flash flooding warning 200 miles away, why can't they push a recall notice? I only know about this through tech blogs, haven't heard anything otherwise.

Also people asking for disabling phones, that's a whole other issue. Don't open that box.

Lg and Samsung are infamous for releasing untested devices. They want to release their devices as soon as possible to be able to compete. Samsung wanted their note 7 to be out before the new iPhone. Lg released phones that literally just die randomly because of poor connections on the motherboard and now poorly made batteries that explodes randomly from Samsung.

Sad. If Verizon/AT&T/Sprint can alert everyone in my office about a flash flooding warning 200 miles away, why can't they push a recall notice? I only know about this through tech blogs, haven't heard anything otherwise.

I cant vouch for Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint, but T-Mobile and Samsung both sent me multiple emails related to the recall

The Argus

I cant vouch for Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint, but T-Mobile and Samsung both sent me multiple emails related to the recall

Interesting. Out of curiosity are you a member of any Samsung listservs? Or where you contracted out of the blue? Basically did your carrier (T Mobile) share your email account because you have a Note 7 or were you already on a Samsung distro?

Lg and Samsung are infamous for releasing untested devices. They want to release their devices as soon as possible to be able to compete. Samsung wanted their note 7 to be out before the new iPhone. Lg released phones that literally just die randomly because of poor connections on the motherboard and now poorly made batteries that explodes randomly from Samsung.

And I, in my infinite wisdom, bought both phones :/

I'm about to travel for a few weeks so I didn't have time to swap mine but I plan to as soon as I get settled in NY.

Interesting. Out of curiosity are you a member of any Samsung listservs? Or where you contracted out of the blue? Basically did your carrier (T Mobile) share your email account because you have a Note 7 or were you already on a Samsung distro?

I have a Samsung Account and use Samsung Cloud, so thats probably why.

Samsung is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Nah. They're gonna take a hit from this, yeah, but theyre far from fucked.

The Argus

Samsung is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

They're not. This isn't Unsafe At Any Speed, and hell Ford survived that and swept it under a rug.

I have a Samsung Account and use Samsung Cloud, so thats probably why.

Nah. They're gonna take a hit from this, yeah, but theyre far from fucked.

Thanks for this. Good to hear that they're reaching out to registered users. Glad I skipped this release.

numble

What's Samsung supposed to do, bust into people's homes and confiscate the phones?

They've already sent notifications informing people of their options, and all an official recall would do on top of that is prevent more people from buying it, not help those who already have.

Anyone who has used the phone in the past two days should know about the issues. It's up to them whether or not to act on them.

You really think the difference between an official mandatory recall versus an unofficial voluntary recall is prevent more people from buying it?

Yjynx

I truly admired samsung pr and network connection here. Any other phone manufacturer this would have been truly catastrophic event.

I guess they do have gripes on media and some part of the government.

Shiggy

Surprised the China version seems ok. How come none of the Western quality agencies notices anything?

Any compensation for buyers?

I'm personally done with Samsung. They are so fucked. I'm moving on to the OP3 or Nexus/Pixel.

Don't do that if you want timely updates and bug fixes. They are slow and are support rather quickly. Android 6 isn't even out for my OPX after almost a year.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
People that refuse to send them back because they think it won't happen to them...

f3c.gif

Not turning this into Apple vs Samsung thread.

The ridiculous coverage Apple get because their phones were bending or scuffing. I don't see that as much with the Note 7. Where as the above was on the news constantly.

Samsung seem to have got off lightly,

You really think the difference between an official mandatory recall versus an unofficial voluntary recall is prevent more people from buying it?
No, I was saying that's the primary reason for such an escalation: to prevent more of the defective product from finding its way into people's homes.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
If this was Apple the outrage regarding this shit would be million times larger.

And you have stories like this posters:

My wife and I went in to do the recall at the Verizon store on Tuesday and the rep there said the battery problem only occurred within the first few days and since it hadn't happened to the phone yet we didn't have anything to worry about.

This was after he had to check to see if we could even do the recall since we threw the box away already.

He explained that it's not even an official recall, but rather a voluntary one and there was nothing to worry about.

Nothing to worry about...

What a joke Samsung should be forced to recall / deactivate every Note 7 sold no excuse.

The Argus

I truly admired samsung pr and network connection here. Any other phone manufacturer this would have been truly catastrophic event.

I guess they do have gripes on media and some part of the government.

Euh, Apple would have a public facing plan in place after a pattern was obvious. Something like "return at any Apple Store/Best Buy/Walmart, we pay for the days without service". I say this as someone who has never owned an iPhone. Injuries and deaths are not good for PR, unlike some thing like Antennagate which is purely performance. The logistics of recalling a million plus units must be insane. Samsung needs a few whole page ads about the "volunteer" recall.

Yjynx

And also why people made it its their fault for not knowing? Samsung the one that fucked up. they are the one that should do more no matter what the cost are. Some People have other things that occupied their mind.

What if someone lost their life on this.what then? All hail samsung?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, this is certainly getting very scary.

Adaren

They warned us about these when I was boarding my plane last week. If you had one on you, you were supposed to drain the battery beforehand and then leave it off for the entire flight.

I would be completely unaware of the situation if it weren't for the airline, though. Hopefully this gets the publicity needed for people to not get hurt.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
All I could think about when I saw the latest Gear VR commercial. Especially since Samsung's phones tend to overclock and run hotter in VR mode.

Hopefully not many people charge while doing VR due to cable length.. I think the exploding is only while charging

BFIB

My loaner S7 is on its way. It's a damn shame because the Note 7 is an amazing piece of tech otherwise.

chualie

At least for AT&T, they sent me several texts about the recall and advising me to return the phone. I have returned the phone as of last week but family members still receive texts about the recall.

Fox Mulder

Unless Samsung was able to beam recall notification into every owner's head there are going to be many upon many ppl who will never realize there is a recall.

Though Samsung could have at least sent out a phone notification

It's a smartphone. They actually can beam recall notifications to every owner.

Why didn't they just use the S7 Edge battery? S7 Edge battery is 3600 mAh, whilst Note 7 is 3500 mAh.

I'm guessing they'd go back to removable batteries next year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The OP article mentions watching a movie, I don't see a mention of whether it was charging or not.

Yeah, but from reading elsewhere it appears that this issue is exclusively while the battery is charging.

A lot of people dont know as its not an official recall.

Doesn't change the fact that some people who do know are still not returning their phones. That's on them. I bet if their phones do explode they'll feign ignorance and will tell everyone they know about how terrible Samsung is.

Zero2kz

The text Verizon sent out implies it needs to be returned to the store that I purchased it, which is unfortunately back at my hometown, so I can't make a trip until a little bit into the future.

I will try to take it to another Verizon store just to see if I can.

I luckily held onto my old phone, so I will just swap my SIM and keep my Note 7 turned off until I can return it. I will probably get the Note 7 again when it is fixed. Or an LG V20. Not sure yet.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have a patient and his caregiver has one she hasn't returned and said she's not going to because she already sold her old phone.

She should try and see if the carrier will provide a loan phone unit for her to use in the meantime if she return the phone now

Why is there any reason to believe that the batteries in the galaxy 7 and 7 edge weren't made by the same group who manufactures this batch of batteries for the note?

I'm getting really worried here. I let my 7 year old game on my phone but won't be doing so now.

they've been out for six months and haven't been exploding, unlike the Note 7 that's been out 3 weeks and already has near 50 cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom