• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six-year old boy gets burned when a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes in his hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuburt

Unless Samsung was able to beam recall notification into every owner's head there are going to be many upon many ppl who will never realize there is a recall.

Though Samsung could have at least sent out a phone notification

If you've seen any of the other threads on the topic, people will still blatantly ignore it.

Saganator

Supposedly only the Chinese Note 7 phones don't need to recall because the Vietnamese battery didn't pass the China version of FCC so the Chinese Note 7 use battery sourced in Japan. All other Note 7 used exploding battery.

So this is a quality control issue detectable even before the shit hit the fan.

Wait so China's FCC is more strict than NA and EU FCC? That should change.

Javaman

Article says this?

"Some have criticized Samsung for not issuing an official recall for the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. That would force Samsung to file paperwork with various government agencies, and would make it a crime to sell the phone. The manufacturer has determined that defective batteries found in some units are leading the phone to explode."

Are the batteries removable? If so why not just recall the batteries and send out new ones?

Supposedly only the Chinese Note 7 phones don't need to recall because the Vietnamese battery didn't pass the China version of FCC so the Chinese Note 7 use battery sourced in Japan. All other Note 7 used exploding battery.

So this is a quality control issue detectable even before the shit hit the fan.

If this is actually true, Samsung is so fucked. The way that company is run is so hilariously corrupt and the Korean government can't do shit about it because Samsung is literally 30% of that whole country's export GDP

So China's FCC already pointed out at the flawed batteries but Samsung went ahead anyways in different regions?

I'm ignorant of the specific release dates so maybe China's test result was released too late.

I found a English article

http://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung...ll-brings-battery-maker-into-focus-1473082175

The exploding battery were made by a Samsung subsidiary, Samsung SDI. The Chinese Note uses battery supplied by Amperex Technology.

The Samsung SDI battery didn't receive Chinese government verification (this part is only discussed in the Chinese article I read)

Would not be surprised if the owner of said phone knew but just decided to wait it out.

At work i have 2 co-workers who refuse to bring it to give it back. Both say they'll be fine if they only charge it sporadically and only when they can keep an eye on the phone.

There should come a point that if you ignore warnings about a defective product that you lose any right to legal comeback if the product breaks and/or causes an injury.

Future

People's phones are their lives. Unless you get a new working one before sending your old one back I could see people "risking" it and just keeping theirs. Of course the people with exploding phones have weird charging habits that they don't have!

I charge my phone every morning on the way into work. Imagine that thing exploding while mounted to your dash while at the wheel w

Saganator

Oh gosh poor kid. Yeah they need to remotely disable the phones and issue a full recall

And then we'll hear about people who needed to call emergency services and couldn't because Samsung bricked their phone. Really tough situation.

When did Samsung stop using removable batteries? That was one thing I liked about my S3 a while back ago.

I charge my phone every morning on the way into work. Imagine that thing exploding while mounted to your dash while at the wheel w

There was already a thread about an incident like this with the Note 7. Guy left his phone charging in his Cherokee, battery exploded and started a fire. Cherokee went up in flames.
prrx7l8nctobv8f3mjxz.png

SRG01

Would not be surprised if the owner of said phone knew but just decided to wait it out.

At work i have 2 co-workers who refuse to bring it to give it back. Both say they'll be fine if they only charge it sporadically and only when they can keep an eye on the phone.

You should have a serious talk with them. If the actual cell is damaged, no amount of vigilance will keep the battery from exploding.

Oreoleo

With all the different networks and carriers across the globe, is it even possible for Samsung to send a message to every phone without getting involved with the carriers first? I have a hunch it isn't as simple as just sending a text message.

Media

And then we'll hear about people who needed to call emergency services and couldn't because Samsung bricked their phone. Really tough situation.

When did Samsung stop using removable batteries? That was one thing I liked about my S3 a while back ago.

I guess that's true :(

Maybe a countdown to bricking do they can get into the phone store and exchange it? It's dangerous at this point. I was defending them at first, but damn. *hugs her s7* so glad I didn't get a note.

If this is actually true, Samsung is so fucked. The way that company is run is so hilariously corrupt and the Korean government can't do shit about it because Samsung is literally 30% of that whole country's export GDP

I agree. My next question would be, though, how the hell did this get past other FCC equivalents around the world? They should be held to the fire too for what seems to be a relatively "common" issue.

Saganator

If your co-workers worked under me I'd strongly advise them to not charge their phone while in the work place. They can risk their home or vehicle, but they better not risk starting a fire in our office building and risking injury to colleagues.

I almost want to send out a little blurb with links to news articles to my team at work, I don't want to see any Note 7's charging in my office!

I agree. My next question would be, though, how the hell did this get past other FCC equivalents around the world? They should be held to the fire too for what seems to be a relatively "common" issue.

This is kind of where I'm at as well. Isn't our FCC partially at fault here?

rc213

You should have a serious talk with them. If the actual cell is damaged, no amount of vigilance will keep the battery from exploding.

Not sure what more i can say, I showed them the stories about the phone blowing up. I told them T-Mobile will give you any phone as a replacement or as a loaner until the fixed Note 7s are available.

Given how many ads I see Samsung airing today during the NFL games, they should be forced to use that ad space to inform people of the recall.

with the nature of advertising, i wouldn't be surprised if half of those Gear Fit2/Gear IconX ads were supposed to be for the Note 7.

andthebeatgoeson

ITT, people complain a grand ma and a 6 year old didn't know about the Samsung recall.

Samsung probably sent a small font text with instructions on how to download it from face book. Maybe Samsung hid the instructions in the back of the VCR manual or something.

If your co-workers worked under me I'd strongly advise them to not charge their phone while in the work place. They can risk their home or vehicle, but they better not risk starting a fire in our office building and risking injury to colleagues.

I almost want to send out a little blurb with links to news articles to my team at work, I don't want to see any Note 7's charging in my office!

This is kind of where I'm at as well. Isn't our FCC partially at fault here?

Can they charge the phone when its half submerge in a cup of water?

I think all the major carriers have sent out text messages and emails to all owner's of the Note 7. I'm curious if any are still trying to sell it. Seems crazy if so, at&t at least aren't currently selling it and aren't even allowing orders for the replacements at this time.

yep, i got one from Sprint yesterday.

you know shit is real when they send out a notification linking to a press release on a Saturday.

People are stupid, and even if they're aware of the recall, they won't return it because they think it probably won't happen to their phone. Just take these threads for example with Note 7 users.

People's phones are their lives. Unless you get a new working one before sending your old one back I could see people "risking" it and just keeping theirs. Of course the people with exploding phones have weird charging habits that they don't have!

indeed.

MisterR

There should come a point that if you ignore warnings about a defective product that you lose any right to legal comeback if the product breaks and/or causes an injury.

Amazing there is even a defence force for companies making phones so shitty they blow up and burn children.

Amazing there is even a defence force for companies making phones so shitty they blow up and burn children.

I had a gf that bought a computer in the US whose battery got recalled because they could explode (it was about 15 years ago, I don't remember the brand). They moved here to Colombia when the recall happened and thus weren't able to get a replacement.

But hey, fuck you stupid customer, right?

Well, thanks to the american culture of lawsuiting your way to retirement, I can see how people would love to keep their phones.

Or, you know, some people haven't heard their phone could potentially kill them, and thus will get blamed when it happens.
What's Samsung supposed to do, bust into people's homes and confiscate the phones?

They've already sent notifications informing people of their options, and all an official recall would do on top of that is prevent more people from buying it, not help those who already have.

Anyone who has used the phone in the past two days should know about the issues. It's up to them whether or not to act on them.

Samsung should be giving refurbished S7 and S7 edge to all Note 7 owners whilst they waiting for their phone. So they got something to use.

This is why people are risking it. They also capable of putting a notice or even deactivating every phone. They just need to do that.

andthebeatgoeson

What's Samsung supposed to do, bust into people's homes and confiscate the phones?

They've already sent notifications informing people of their options, and all an official recall would do on top of that is prevent more people from buying it, not help those who already have.

Anyone who has used the phone in the past two days should know about the issues. It's up to them whether or not to act on them.
You are still talking about a grandma and a six year old, for all we know.

After 40, your eye sight is shit. And the six year old is probably still scared of bugs.

I don-t know how those notifications have been sent, because my brother in law learnt of the problem when he read of the guy whose car burnt up in flames. Granted, he watches a lot of TV so I-ve no idea how he didn't learn about it before.

This shit is just crazy. Tmobile is giving out loaner phones, so if your on Tmo and want a Notr 7 from the fixed batch, just go in and get a loaner for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom