• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Korigama

I didn't really like
Annie's
appearance that much. IDK, she just felt like Deus Ex Machina: the character, and took the focus off Beo a bit too much. Still, loved the story mode.
This was the highlight of Beowulf's story mode for me. That, and
him mistaking Minette for being part of his camera crew

I gave up on trying to beat Marie as Eliza. The only characters' story modes I haven't beaten are hers, Fukua's, and now Beowulf's.

Shouldn't Eliza and Fukua have a relatively easy time with Marie due to Sekmeth and Fukua's projectile spam? If the issue with Fukua is the Fillia battle then just know that the armored command grab absolutely wrecks her.

TheOGB

Banned
Marie is defintely tough with Beowulf, but I managed to lame her out by Wulf Blitzing all over the place and somehow not getting hit. I did have to bump the difficulty down from Ridiculous to plain Hard, though.

But good god, it feels so good to finally make this happen
baeowulfandbaelizacolfozfu.png
baeowulfandbaelizacolfjlke.png

baeowulfandbaelizacol9vzgq.png
baeowulfandbaelizacolvvx6n.png
Lpvsnlk.gif

I didn't really like
Annie's
appearance that much. IDK, she just felt like Deus Ex Machina: the character, and took the focus off Beo a bit too much. Still, loved the story mode.

And yep, this pretty much confirms she'll be a playable character if Skullgirls 2 happens. After Black Dahlia and Isaac, of couse ;)
That is kind of unfair. She can't help it considering her age and experiences. Not to mention the fact that she is based off of Guts and Sol Badguy. Her entire existence is a Deus Ex Machina by default. At least she is a far more entertaining and likable one *cough*Jinora ex machina*cough*.

VariantX

I am having the damnest time beating marie with beowulf

I literally just hit HP all the time. Just standing and jumping HP all day. Took a total of 3 attempts to do it. I'll say that fighting marie as non projectile characters or characters that lack multi-hitting moves is a bitch because you have to work 10x harder than a peacock or robo-fortune would. They can at least erase some of those skulls with projectiles and don't have to worry about when they can do damage to her as most of the damage they do is risk free until marie's second phase. Your chances of winning depend on how often she decides to do multi skulls or the gigan skulls.

NEO0MJ

I didn't really like
Annie's

Yeah, I didn't like that she stole the spotlight from him, either.

But good god, it feels so good to finally make this happen

Can you explain these to me? I know one is a JoJo reference but not sure about the others.

TheOGB

Banned
Can you explain these to me? I know one is a JoJo reference but not sure about the others.
There's not really a common theme or reference there. Eliza and Beowulf were the two potential characters I wanted the most during the IndieGoGo campaign. Now they're in the game and they're beautiful and I love them.

NEO0MJ

so the only new DLC is Beowulf right - or am I missing something (for this wave)

Yeah, he's the only new character right now. Next(and last) character will be Robo-Fortune, probably after a couple of months.

There's not really a common theme or reference there. Eliza and Beowulf were the two potential characters I wanted the most during the IndieGoGo campaign. Now they're in the game and they're beautiful and I love them.

Oh, I see. One looked like a Kira and Killer Queen reference.

CrossRhythm

Neo Member
Can someone explain beowulf's hype mechanic? I've done the training tutorial but still confused. Which supers are affected by hype? Can you build hype in partitions or only in discrete units?

petran79

Banned
I gave up on trying to beat Marie as Eliza. The only characters' story modes I haven't beaten are hers, Fukua's, and now Beowulf's.

They cheated in Fukua's story. Even if you put difficulty on Sleepwalk, final boss Filia difficulty changes to Nightmare. Impossible to beat her. You have to do advanced stuff.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just had a bizarre battle with a japanese player today.

I decided to join unranked room, and it said casual only please. It ended up it was pretty good player that played Ms. Fortune and I got wrecked pretty bad with Beowulf since I just learned how to play as him.

He handed my ass to myself so badly until second round, at almost end of combo that I was about to lose. He decided to disconnect the match at the end of battle as I was about to lose (I got juggled in the combo for awhile). I wonder if he intend to make me look like I'm rage quitter on stream or youtube?

His username is reo_pon on ps3 version.

They cheated in Fukua's story. Even if you put difficulty on Sleepwalk, final boss Filia difficulty changes to Nightmare. Impossible to beat her. You have to do advanced stuff.

I'm pretty sure that spamming command grabs with armor is the opposite of advanced. Certainly a dick move but easy to get around it when you know what to do

Now, Marie 300% THAT might as well be impossible =.=

petran79

Banned
I'm pretty sure that spamming command grabs with armor is the opposite of advanced. Certainly a dick move but easy to get around it when you know what to do

I'll try that next time...Sleepwalk difficulty made me relaxed and didnt expect what was about to arrive.

TheOGB

Banned
I finally managed to beat her recently (I think by time scam) and I was so excited to check out all the art I just unlocked.

But then I couldn't find the gallery in the menu and remembered it's not on the 360 version
H9E4QVM.png

El Sloth

Banned
Played Skullgirls for the first time in awhile. Forgot how good that netcode feels when things are working.

It's weird coming back to all these little changes:

broken hearts for counterhits (way better than a flash in my opinion)
special music that plays when you kill a character and can still combo their assist
graphic that pops up when you kill someone with a super
etc

Parasoul's fireballs work differently than what I remember. Don't remember them disappearing when she'd get hit. Her motorcycle soldier seems more useful in the Peacock matchup. I still can't do a proper combo with Peacock lol

I could just be imagining things, but it feels like people hit harder.

Is Fortune still a relevant character competitively?

If anyone would like to beat on me on PSN: El--Sloth or XBL: Sloth112

Mr. X

Can someone explain beowulf's hype mechanic? I've done the training tutorial but still confused. Which supers are affected by hype? Can you build hype in partitions or only in discrete units?
360+throw and qcb +kk
Played Skullgirls for the first time in awhile. Forgot how good that netcode feels when things are working.

special music that plays when you kill a character and can still combo their assist
etc

Parasoul's fireballs work differently than what I remember. Don't remember them disappearing when she'd get hit. Her motorcycle soldier seems more useful in the Peacock matchup. I still can't do a proper combo with Peacock lol

I could just be imagining things, but it feels like people hit harder.

Is Fortune still a relevant character competitively?

If anyone would like to beat on me on PSN: El--Sloth or XBL: Sloth112
Parasoul always lost her tears when she got hit
Health got increased, everyone does less
Fortune still good and got improvements during head off
Check Filia new ringlet properties and Vals air bypass

El Sloth

Banned
Parasoul always lost her tears when she got hit
Fortune still good and got improvements during head off
Check Filia new ringlet properties and Vals air bypass
Her placed tears, but surely not her "shot" tears? At least, as long as they were in motion. I specifically remember that being very helpful in the Peacock matchup. Unless you're telling me my mind has fabricated false memories?!
lol welp, that sure as hell confirms that I don't have a bloody idea what I'm talking about!

Mr. X

Her placed tears, but surely not her "shot" tears? At least, as long as they were in motion. I specifically remember that being very helpful in the Peacock matchup. Unless you're telling me my mind has fabricated false memories?!

lol welp, that sure as hell confirms that I don't have a bloody idea what I'm talking about!

Oh that. Hmm, not sure.

Yes, you made those memories up in your head to block out the devastation Peacock rains on Parasoul. Parasoul is FUCKED without MK egret in that matchup. Her tear shots always disappeared if she got hit. The bike soldier did get changed, but I don't remember how.

not impossible per say, her damage resistance is just through the roof in the fight, took me about a handful of tries but I managed through.

Ravidrath

As others noted, Fukua's command grab wrecks her.

I believe they actually specifically broke her AI for that?

Im thinking of buying this game, mainly because I really like Elizas ti... design.
Big Band looks pretty funny too. He has a different appeal to Eliza but a very interesting design nonetheless. I have a few questions...

1. Is the single player any good? No one plays fighting games in Australia (except SF4), so single player matters to me.

2. Do the DLC characters integrate into the single player mode well (by showing up as CPU opponents etc).

3. Steam says there will be 5 DLC characters, but I can only count 4 (Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf and Robo- Fortune). Who is no.5?

4. Is this bikini DLC for real, or just some internet trolling? I hope its real.

75a.png

Gintoki

3. Steam says there will be 5 DLC characters, but I can only count 4 (Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf and Robo- Fortune). Who is no.5?

4. Is this bikini DLC for real, or just some internet trolling? I hope its real.
3- You forgot Squigly, which was the whole reason behind the indiegogo campaign :)

4- Its not real

TheOGB

Banned
1. Is the single player any good? No one plays fighting games in Australia (except SF4), so single player matters to me.

2. Do the DLC characters integrate into the single player mode well (by showing up as CPU opponents etc).
1. It's pretty good, but it's not too extensive. There's an Arcade Mode, which is 8 fights against randomized opponents, then a final boss fight against Bloody Marie. You can go solo or use a team of 2 or 3 fighters in this mode.
There's also Story Mode, which is a 1v1 mode where you play through a character's journey to the Skullheart. In cutscenes you meet and fight other characters along the way, and get some peeks at the greater world and lore. A "canon story mode" was originally planned, but for various reasons did not end up happening; despite this, there is still a lot of potential for this world and these characters.

2. Yes, the DLC characters do show up in Arcade Mode

At the end of the day, Skullgirls is a competitive multiplayer game. That said, it's extremely well made, to the point that going in just to mess around in Training Mode is fun enough for me.

Im thinking of buying this game, mainly because I really like Elizas ti... design.
Big Band looks pretty funny too. He has a different appeal to Eliza but a very interesting design nonetheless. I have a few questions...

Yep gotta love Eliza's de... tits.

The story modes and tutorials are cool, but there's no 'vs CPU' mode which just boggles the mind seeing as you can put on AI in training mode. Arcade mode is a semi-decent alternative but it just sucks that you can't choose who or where you want to fight. Also there's no single-player stats, (unless I've just missed it all this time) so no sense of progression really.

TheOGB

Banned
Yep gotta love Eliza's de... tits.

The story modes and tutorials are cool, but there's no 'vs CPU' mode which just boggles the mind seeing as you can put on AI in training mode. Arcade mode is a semi-decent alternative but it just sucks that you can't choose who or where you want to fight. Also there's no single-player stats, (unless I've just missed it all this time) so no sense of progression really.
Actually, with all the options available now, you can simulate a Versus match in Training.
  • set Health and Meter Level to 'Normal'
  • set Death Allowed to 'Yes'
I'm not sure if these next ones affect anything once you turn on the CPU, but just in case:
  • set Blocking to 'Random'
  • Blocking Type 'All'
  • skip Pushblock After, set Pushblock to 'Random'
  • set Throw and Ground Tech to 'Random'
  • Escape Infinites 'Random'
  • Stagger Recovery 'Off'
  • Force Counter Hit 'No'
  • Drama 'Normal'
  • Skip Superflashes 'No'
Probably want to wait until you're actually in Training mode to turn on the CPU because there's no intros or "Ready? Action!", they'll just come at you instantly, lol.

petran79

Banned

etc

Same here! Though regarding the last change, it was an hommage to Capcom's Jojo Bizarre Adventure

Beowolf using J.Talbain move an hommage to Darkstalkers.

Big Band an hommage to Q from 3S

They went too far, but I like it.

petran79

Banned
not impossible per say, her damage resistance is just through the roof in the fight, took me about a handful of tries but I managed through.

Cant believe it. Beat her on the first try.
Yes, so cheap. I just rushed to her after each knockdown and she stood there waiting for the grab (db + LP,LK, not the df version).

I just want us to take a moment to appreciate the best non-Beowulf or Annie part of Wulf's story

tumblr_nn4dctGOrH1qhhv13o1_400.png

I have no idea what exactly it is about Double wearing shades that is so amazing to me but it is

NEO0MJ

I just want us to take a moment to appreciate the best non-Beowulf or Annie part of Wulf's story

I have no idea what exactly it is about Double wearing shades that is so amazing to me but it is

Yeah, I got a kick out of that as well. I never thought Double would have it in her to work as an agent .

Saikyo

are_you_frustrated.jpg

OT: Really liked Beowulf story mode, now the wait for Robo Fortune begins...

OT: Really liked Beowulf story mode, now the wait for Robo Fortune begins...

I imagine we'll be waiting a fair amount due to needing to test console lobbies, cross plat. play, and the completion of the PS4 and Vita versions of the game. My bet's on Fall!

I imagine we'll be waiting a fair amount due to needing to test console lobbies, cross plat. play, and the completion of the PS4 and Vita versions of the game. My bet's on Fall!

Didn't Ravi say around June or so? I could've sworn he has mentioned that.

Edit: Found it

Aiming for a June release for PS4, and maybe Vita.

PS4/Vita will be cross-buy, include all the characters, and have some new modes and features, as well.

Top Bottom