• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Just ordered the 3DS version off Amazon last night, has shipped so I should have it by next Thursday. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it, looks awesome fun.

I'm kinda shocked they don't have a TV series to go along with this. If they had of made an animated series or something this thing could of damn near hit Pokemon levels of maddness with the kids, wouldn't be surprised if they are working on one for the sequel.

fernoca

Darn, loving the 3DS version!
Taking a break because; well I got up early and haven't slept much.

The game reminds me of the original Spyro games so much, and the music reminds me of Banjo Kazooie. XD

-Currently have Dark Spyro on Level 5.
-Each level has it own sub-levels (so far, 5 per level/chapter).
-Some levels have you collecting artifacts only.
-Others have you collecting artifacts while dealing with traps/enemies
-Other have you from beginning to end looking for an item (gem, crystal, key)
-Usually when you do "the last thing" a timer appears and you have to rush to the end of the level, before time runs out.
-Lots and lots of jumping.
-Enemies get harder (and bigger) too.

Briarios

I caved - I got some reward points at Best Buy and picked up the 3DS version, too. It was 10% off for some reason ...

Anyway, I now have two Stealth Elfs -- she's my fav right now, so I guess that's ok lol

Hawk269

I think the more media this game gets, the more interest in older (adult) gamers this game is going to bring in. It is funny reading the comments on Giantbomb during that video they posted...so many "I wish I was 8, 9, 10, I would be all over this". Personally, I think alot of those folks actually got it but don't want to admit it. I mean, just looking at Jeff during that video and that otehr dude next to him it seemed like Jeff did not want to say he liked it, but then he did.

I am an older gamer myself and although it is geared towards the younger crowd, I am still having alot of fun with it. Almost anyone I show the game too (main people between 30-45) they are interested and so fare 2 of them went out and bought it...especially because of the deal at TRU right now.

fernoca

Hawk269 said:
I think the more media this game gets, the more interest in older (adult) gamers this game is going to bring in. It is funny reading the comments on Giantbomb during that video they posted...so many "I wish I was 8, 9, 10, I would be all over this". Personally, I think alot of those folks actually got it but don't want to admit it. I mean, just looking at Jeff during that video and that otehr dude next to him it seemed like Jeff did not want to say he liked it, but then he did.

I am an older gamer myself and although it is geared towards the younger crowd, I am still having alot of fun with it. Almost anyone I show the game too (main people between 30-45) they are interested and so fare 2 of them went out and bought it...especially because of the deal at TRU right now.
Yeah, I'm not ashamed. Heck, I posted pics of my Nintendo-themed room in another thread; a few days ago. And I'm 29.

But I like colors, I like "that feeling" that takes you back to childhood. I'm still a full grown 29 years old man. I'm open minded, independent (though currently unemployed :().

Heck, I like this stuff. But is not like I go around acting like a kid, or even dressing like one. What sucks about stuff like this, is that some tend to put that aside; and assume that any "older person" that likes it; is not "mature enough". Is like I'm not supposed to enjoy it, because of my age...when maturity is not related to age.

Oh! and if anyone has a spare regular Spyro, willing to part ways with him for (as) cheap (as possible :p); let me know!! :) :O!

highrider

Banned
my son is 8 and he wants it for ps3. i am 44 and i also want it. now to get the wife on board.. i love the ambition of the game concept.

fernoca

Trying the 'Spyro's Universe Online' game.

Looks nice and fun; but don't get one thing: Is the Level of my character in this game, separate from the one in the (console/3DS) game?

My Dark Spyro is Level 1 in here, but Level 5 in the game and I made sure to sync the 3DS game with figure... :/

EDIT:
Nice Angry Birds-clone in there! XD
(and mean it as in well done :p)

EDIT 2:
Oh okay, crisis adverted. Levels are different in the web-game. There's a separate section that shows your in-game stats. :)

YuX1d.png

Overall the online-game, well..so far..is quite surprising the quality of everything for something "free" that is a compliment to the main game.

izakq

Bamelin said:
-360 and Wii version are wired USB (portal), PS3 is wireless
-PS3 portal eats batteries (15 hours from fresh to dead 3 AA batteries needed each time

The Wii version is wireless. And because of that, I can confirm that the Wii portal will also go through batteries pretty quickly. I always seem to be charging them up every other day.

Hawk269

izakq said:
The Wii version is wireless. And because of that, I can confirm that the Wii portal will also go through batteries pretty quickly. I always seem to be charging them up every other day.

Not sure how that got confused in the thread because in the main post, it clearly states that the 360 and PC version are wired and the rest are wireless.

Wife and I just finished a co-op 2hr session. Love it more and more. She's honestly surprised of the quality of the game from the voice actors to the graphics.

I'm gonna go get the rainbow barfing air guy tomorrow and I need a leaf element. We're going to stay at one of each element for now.

We'll see how long that lasts :p

My daughter is 5, she wants to play the game. I'll be trying that tomorrow and see how well it works.

fernoca

Another review posted...

GameTrailers: 7.3
Skylanders does the hack 'n slash thing decently, but at $70 for a starter pack, it isn't cheap, and even less so when you start thinking about buying extra figures. Given that the elements designed around its collectability are the game's biggest hook, though, it's hard to recommend to those who'd play on the cheap. If you aren't willing to shell out for the plastic, then you should reconsider clearing some shelf space for this one.

Video Review

Starting to notice that the "bigger sites" are rating the game in the 7s while the "smaller"" sites in the 8s/9s; so expecting a 7-ish from IGN. :p

Overall, my main disappointment with reviews so far; is the lack of attention to the 3DS version. For smaller sites and console-specific sites I can understand. But for example, GameTrailers is a well known and big site with even a TV program; yet the 3DS version in their review of this game was mentioned just casually; while reviewing the rest of the versions (which are the ones similar).

Hope some more reviews of the 3DS game start popping by in the upcoming days.

Liberty4all

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Not sure how that got confused in the thread because in the main post, it clearly states that the 360 and PC version are wired and the rest are wireless.

My fault I was confused ...

Mr. Robot

fernoca said:
Another review posted...

GameTrailers: 7.3

Starting to notice that the "bigger sites" are rating the game in the 7s while the "smaller"" sites in the 8s/9s; so expecting a 7-ish from IGN. :p

Overall, my main disappointment with reviews so far; is the lack of attention to the 3DS version. For smaller sites and console-specific sites I can understand. But for example, GameTrailers is a well known and big site with even a TV program; yet the 3DS version in their review of this game was mentioned just casually; while reviewing the rest of the versions (which are the ones similar).

Hope some more reviews of the 3DS game start popping by in the upcoming days.

My main concern with reviews, is that they put too much emphasis on the price, even when the game comes with three figures and the Portal, considering that it costs $10 more than a normal game, i don't see it as an expensive game, i see more value, but maybe that is just me.

Hawk269

I am really confused about the amount of levels in the game. I have the PC version and opened up the files. In the Level's folder it lists the following:

Challenge Levels: 0-32 (these are listed as individual folders, with 1 file in each folder for each challenge level.

Then it shows folders for what looks like the regular levels, however, they are missing some. It Starts at level_000 and the highest is level_046...but in-between it skips alot of numbers. Like it shows no level 5 & 7, 11-14, 15-16, 20, 22, 28-31, 33, 35, 41-45. There is also a Level_10b.

It also lists the PVP Level from Level_001-Level_10.

Seems a little weird to me and even more confusing on how many actual levels are in the game.

Hawk269

Mr. Robot said:
My main concern with sites, is that they put too much emphasis on the price, even when the game comes with three figures and the Portal, considering that it costs $10 more than a normal game, i don't see it as an expensive game, but maybe that is just me.

You are correct. I don't think they are factoring in the cost of the 3 figures and the portal. A normal game these days is $59.99, so for $10.00 they added 3 figures and the portal, which is not bad for any add-on. It is interesting that the PC version is $59.99 though!

The figures could be a little cheaper, I mean $14.99 for a 3 pack, $5.99 for individuals is a more reasonable price that the 19.99 3pack & 7.99 for singles. I also think though that the adventure packs should be a bit cheaper as well. But, who knows maybe they will go down in price after a while.

But price point should not be a big factor, I mean I did not remember reading about Guitar Hero and the adding of drums, microphone, more guitars as a complaint against that game in reviews.

Mr. Robot

True about the GH RB thing, im still deceiding to wheter or not wait for a price drop on the figures, i think that it is a gamble since they may go up in price if they somehow end up being collectible, so im probably just going to get the exclusive ones first and wait to see if there's a price drop after christmas.

fernoca

I do wonder what does the figures have inside? Stats/info is stored there so there most me some kind/form of memory inside.

I'm kinda dumb, so I don't know. :p

EDIT:
And agree about the price/complains in reviews.
For $70 you get:
-The game
-3 figurines (each with some mumbo-jumbo like memory card inside)
-Portal (with lights and everything :p)
-USB Cable
-Poster
-3 cards
-9 stickers

Most $60 games out there not even include an instructions booklet and similar "family oriented" games are released at $50 for just the disc, slim booklet and less content.

Hawk269

Mr. Robot said:
True about the GH RB thing, im still deceiding to wheter or not wait for a price drop on the figures, i think that it is a gamble since they may go up in price if they somehow end up being collectible, so im probably just going to get the exclusive ones first and wait to see if there's a price drop after christmas.

Well if I were you, I would decide quick because that Buy 2 get 1 free deal at Toys R Us ends on Saturday, 10/22/2011. If you want to maximize the savings and get the most out it, I would get the game itself, and 2 3packs of figures. The game is $69.99, 3 packs are $19.99 each, but you will get one of the 3 packs free.

Now, it depends on what you want out of the 3 packs. The Legendary Set has 3 Characters, one of them Spyro which you would already have in the started kit. There are 2 other 3 pack with 3 characters each, so if you go that route, you would have a total of 9 characters, 3 from the starter, 3 from each 3 pack.

-OR- you can go for the 3 pack Adventure ones where you get 1 figure, plus the add-on level and trinkets. Those are also 19.99, so you would end up with 2 more figures, but also 2 more levels and 4 unique add-on items to help you out.

Regardless, take advantage of the deal because I don't see another deal that would match this one and you can really maximize the amount of figures you would get.

BooJoh

fernoca said:
I do wonder what does the figures have inside? Stats/info is stored there so there most me some kind/form of memory inside.
I remember reading somewhere that they use RFID chips. They're small, cheap, and don't need batteries. It's the same kind of chip they put in pets.

Famassu

Played this for an hour or two. Surprisingly good. Two things, though:

-the game crashed when I was loading a Challenge, hopefully this doesn't happen often
-my only gameplay complaint so far is that the characters move a bit too slowly. Kind of a bore to backtrack if you notice you've missed something when they move at the pace they do.

Went to ToysRUs and found all the figures I wanted. Picked up Chop Chop, Flameslinger, and Stealth Elf. It hasn't been said enough but the figures are really well done, there is a good amount of detail on them.

Hawk269

darkressurection said:
Went to ToysRUs and found all the figures I wanted. Picked up Chop Chop, Flameslinger, and Stealth Elf. It hasn't been said enough but the figures are really well done, there is a good amount of detail on them.

I am finding that alot of people are getting Stealth Elf as one of the first figures. I personally like the one with the bow and flaming arrows, always been more of a range person versus melee.

I am suprised at the detail as well. For something that is not too expensive, plus the chip or whatever they have in it, they put some work into the details at a resonable price.

I think it was mentioned, but for those that are more "collectors" of stuff, you can still use the Skylander while it is in the packaging. I know most, if not all will open them, but I know some people like to keep figures in the package and the way to portal works it still reads and saves data even if they are still in the package.

SebastianAlexander said:
HELP! My Sonic Boom is at the point where I have to choose one of two abilities to evolve

1) Sonic Roar
2) The Babies

Is there a place where I can look up the information what attacks come after that point? Insticly I would choose the roar, but maybe the babies will get some f*ing cool attack at a later point ... and I really DONT want to buy another sonic boom - level her up again, just to see what would happen if I had chosen the other option ;)

Is it allowed to post a link to a other board. Because i saw a forum post about a couple of upgrade paths. That could be handy.

Edit: Small question do you first need to finish the game before you can play the adventure packs?

NEO0MJ

I feel like I'll snap and pick up the 3DS version soon. The toy collector in me can't resist this. Plus I need a new game for the 3DS.

Edit: Oh, and do the adventure packs work on the 3DS version?

fernoca

NEO0MJ said:
I feel like I'll snap and pick up the 3DS version soon. The toy collector in me can't resist this. Plus I need a new game for the 3DS.

Edit: Oh, and do the adventure packs work on the 3DS version?
Yep, unlock an extra level each.

fernoca

[Meh, double post, so divided it in two :p]

Still loving the heck out of the 3DS version. Don't want to finish it so soon; so I'm forcing myself to play less. :p

More misc. stuff about the 3DS version:

-The more I play it, the more I find is a great mix of classic Spyro and classic Crash.
-Lots of jumping. Whoever said it was a platformer in the same vein as Mario wasn't kidding.
-The Sanctuary is "the hub" were you change skylanders, hats and travel to each world
-Each world has 5 levels inside.
-Each level consists of 3 platforming levels and 2 misc. ones (destroy all enemies, collect all energy, protect the energy, etc.)
-Nearly at the end, all levels start a countdown that forces you to rush through sections/enemies to arrive to the end.
-Each of the levels has different routes to arrive to the end in some cases this routes have hidden items (hats, or just random stuff like a teddy) or the Seeker you have to rescue (you can arrive to the end without rescuing the Seeker; so you'll have to replay that level to rescue him/her)
-The "random items" when you collect them all in that level, appear in the Sanctuary//hub in front of that world-portal as decoration.
-125 crystals to collect
-5 Seekers to rescue (one per world)
-33 hats
-33 scrolls​

Oh! and Dark Spyro (currently Level 8) is a beast! XD

Hawk269

Henk_Glimlach said:
Is it allowed to post a link to a other board. Because i saw a forum post about a couple of upgrade paths. That could be handy.

Edit: Small question do you first need to finish the game before you can play the adventure packs?

No, you can use them during the regular game. I beleive for the Pirate Seas Adventure, you need to have progressed far enough to where you have access to the sea port in the main hub, which I beleive you have to have beaten Chapter 4 or so. As far as the other Adventure Pack, I am not sure where you need to be. But, you definately don't have to have the game finished to use them.

I also have not tested, but the Pirate Seas Adv. Pack came with the "Hidden Treasure" figure and from what I understand, it reveals a "hidden" treasure in all the levels..not sure about that, but will try it out in a little bit.

You can link to another board, there are links everywhere here on Gaf! lol.

Anyone else really addicted to the game? I seem to just want to keep playing it, then going back to beaten levels to get the speed run done. Even after about 6 hours of play, I am only 18% complete with the game. At this pace, it should be about a 30 hour game for me. Does anyone know if hte complete % also includes the Challenge Modes or is it just the story mode it is counting?

Last question...if a Skylander is K.O'd in a level, how long is the "rest period". I lost my fish dude midway through a level, but luckily had another water element character to finish finding everything, but just am curious as the length it takes to recover.

Liberty4all

Banned
Hawk269 said:

I also have not tested, but the Pirate Seas Adv. Pack came with the "Hidden Treasure" figure and from what I understand, it reveals a "hidden" treasure in all the levels..not sure about that, but will try it out in a little bit.

Hidden Treasure spawns an invisible bonus treasure chest hidden randomly somewhere in the level. The chest will always be a money one (coins, jewels, etc). Removing the chest from the portal then placing it back on will cause a new treasure chest to randomly spawn somewhere else in the level. You can identify if a hidden treasure is close by as you will hear the noise the chest makes when active on the portal ... This noise will get louder.

Hidden Treasure is a great way to cheeze extra money for your low levels when used in the first couple of chapters of the game.

fernoca

Takao said:
3DS Stealth Elf doesn't glow in the dark. :(
3DS Stealth Elf...is the only Stealth Elf or is there another one?

EDIT:
Yep...there's a separate Stelath Elf for sale. But 3DS is the same and just tried mine and it glows! :)
(Leave it directly the light for a few seconds, then turn the lights off)

Hawk269

Bamelin said:
Hidden Treasure spawns an invisible bonus treasure chest hidden randomly somewhere in the level. The chest will always be a money one (coins, jewels, etc). Removing the chest from the portal then placing it back on will cause a new treasure chest to randomly spawn somewhere else in the level. You can identify if a hidden treasure is close by as you will hear the noise the chest makes when active on the portal ... This noise will get louder.

Hidden Treasure is a great way to cheeze extra money for your low levels when used in the first couple of chapters of the game.

Thanks. I did some testing and in at least the first level there are 3 hidden. Once you find one, remove the item off of the portal and put it back on. In the first level this worked for 3 times, after that it said it was used up. Going back to the 1st level and trying againt was the same thing, once all 3 are found that is it for the level. Not sure if other levels have more than 3.

chixdiggit

Just bought this for a Christmas gift for a 7 year old. Seems great and kind of want to play it myself. Picked up the 360 version but he also has a 3DS. Right choice?

Also does this have multiplayer? Do you need two starter packs?

Hawk269

chixdiggit said:
Just bought this for a Christmas gift for a 7 year old. Seems great and kind of want to play it myself. Picked up the 360 version but he also has a 3DS. Right choice?

Also does this have multiplayer? Do you need two starter packs?

Multiplayer is on the same console...no need for another starter kit or another portal. The game has co-op for the single player and vs. modes.

chixdiggit

Hawk269 said:
Multiplayer is on the same console...no need for another starter kit or another portal. The game has co-op for the single player and vs. modes.
Great! It's going to be a long wait until Christmas.

Just picked up stealth elf, flame slinger, and some dude with crystals on his arms. I want the pirate seas pack for the shark character but that will wait until next week when i get paid. My girlfriend made a comment on how i want this more for myself than for our daughter for Christmas :p

fernoca

chixdiggit said:
Great! It's going to be a long wait until Christmas.
You could get him the 3DS version too. The game's different and has 3 different figurines too. If you're in the US, just go to Toys R US, get both the 360 and 3DS version and the Legendary pack "for free" (because of the Buy 2 get 3rd free) that ends in a few hours.

:p

I picked up the rest of the characters I didn't have at Toys R Us today before the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale ended. Now I'm only missing Drill Sergeant...

I haven't even started playing the game yet, but that's besides the point... >_>

fernoca

nexen said:
Why do I want this game?

Is it at least a decent ARPG? Seems like it.
Yep. :p
Console = Gauntlet Dark Legacy
3DS = Spyro (PSone) + Crash Bandicoot (PSone)

BUY IT!!!

codhand said:
Still just two reviews for the 3DS version?
Sadly, yep.
Which is why I noted earlier that is disappointing that the big sites are ignoring the 3DS version.

So far, the only mentions of the 3DS version by "big sites":
-IGN: Guy said the 3DS game used AR Cards, so meant that not only he hasn't played the game (at least back then); he even ignored about how it played. (No reviews yet)

-GameTrailers: Their review of the cosnole versions, causally mentioned the 3DS version with:
The cross-platform functionality is neat as well--in a matter of seconds, a character you were using on the Xbox 360 can suddenly pop-up on the Wii, PS3, or even the platform-heavy 3DS version.

-Gamespot: Console review, mentioned:
You can use your figures to play on a friend's game and access all your enhancements. This works across systems, so you can take your Wii character and use it on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, or even 3DS.

Hope this changes this week and it was just them rushing to finish the console versions, t get to play the 3DS one. and hey, I can vouch for the 3DS version!! :p

Liberty4all

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Thanks. I did some testing and in at least the first level there are 3 hidden. Once you find one, remove the item off of the portal and put it back on. In the first level this worked for 3 times, after that it said it was used up. Going back to the 1st level and trying againt was the same thing, once all 3 are found that is it for the level. Not sure if other levels have more than 3.

Ah I didn't know about the 3 times part. Interesting.

Edit: also just found out something "special" happens if u put the pirate ship on the portal in the middle of a regular level. About to find out what.

Hawk269

nexen said:
Why do I want this game?

Is it at least a decent ARPG? Seems like it.

It is a little bit of action game, a little rpg thrown in and that "collect everything" from the games of old. All the characters play a bit differently and the fun factor is trying to find everything in the level, then you get a stat screen on how you did and what you missed, so for many completionist it will make you want to go back and try again.

The individual challenge levels are pretty challenging and they are also alot of fun. They are timed events and some of them you get down to the wire. Challenge has started to pick up (I am in chapter 6) and one of my guys died.

I am not sure what it is, but I am pretty blown away by the game. I think it is because it has been a long time since we had a game of this type, a mario type game with a bit of RPG thrown in. It really is someting that you would think Nintendo or Rare would put out. Visually it looks pretty good, but you can tell the game has roots of the Wii since that was the one it is based off of. But there are some really nice moments in the game and some great times to be had.

Liberty4all

Banned
Hawk269 said:
I think it is because it has been a long time since we had a game of this type, a mario type game with a bit of RPG thrown in. It really is someting that you would think Nintendo or Rare would put out.

Basically that hits it on the nail for me. The game feels like a throwback to alot of the games we grew up on ....

Hawk269

Bamelin said:
Basically that hits it on the nail for me. The game feels like a throwback to alot of the games we grew up on ....

I mentioned it an earlier post, but the game this reminds me the most of is Kameo Elements of Power. That game was also a throwback to the old mario type of game, with upgrading and alt. characters that you transform into. I loved that game and still own it today.

I love games like this, but this gen they are far a few and I think the fact that it uses figures alot of people are throwing it the side because it seems too kiddie for them because of the toy hook, but I am a gamer, old school and new school gamer and this is one great game for all ages. I jsut think too many people will pass on it because it is being marketed to kids and it is a great game for everyone.

I do wish there was a bit more "adult humor" to it, but that is just me. I also think that there should be a "difficulty" select since some people find it a bit too easy early on...I mean it does ramp up, but it would of been nice to have that option to play it on a little higher difficulty.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the Level 10 cap? Is it because if you leveled higher it would be a cake walk or are they treating this like an MMO and the expansions will allow you to level higher? If they do a good thing to make it more for older gamers, but still give it the option is an Level Up process where you can determine where you want to spend your points...for the younger crowd they could have a "auto level up", but give the option to determine if you want the system to do it or manually.

Top Bottom