• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Liberty4all

Banned
Hawk269 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on why the Level 10 cap? .

They want you to buy more minatures. I doubt they will ever rise the lvl cap.

Oh and by the way I discovered tonight that the pirate ship and darklight crypt do more than just open up extra the chapters. You can also use them once per chapter as kill everything on the screen "smart bombs".

codhand

fernoca said:
Sadly, yep.
Which is why I noted earlier that is disappointing that the big sites are ignoring the 3DS version.

For real, it's funny how fickle these sites can be, ignoring the 3DS and this game in particular. Granted the launch titles weren't great, but you could say the same for any system ever released.

The homogeneity of reviews becomes apparent when something different comes along and people are too busy fighting over reviewing the same damn games as everyone else. For example 50 + reviews fawning over Batman, but just two for this game which as someone who hasn't played it, it at least appears to offer something new. I didn't need 50 critics to tell me Batman was good.

It makes me think that once the editors of these bigger publications start to ignore a system or a game, everyone else follows suit. I know Skyrim will be good, I know Uncharted 3 will be good, I too anticipate their reviews, but not if it means a disproportionate number of unique titles get ignored.

If you have for example 2 Gil Grunts minatures. And one dies can you put the other on the portal and play with him. Or will the game still say that Gil Grunt has to rest.

Liberty4all

Banned
Henk_Glimlach said:
If you have for example 2 Gil Grunts minatures. And one dies can you put the other on the portal and play with him. Or will the game still say that Gil Grunt has to rest.

I thInk that would work but don't have 2 to prove it.

NEO0MJ

AniHawk said:
this game isn't trash? what the shit?

I only just beat world one on the 3DS version, but the platforming is a bit weak. Will see how the other levels play.
Have no idea about the console version, though.

BooJoh

AniHawk said:
this game isn't trash? what the shit?
Crazy, isn't it? A game that looked good from the start with the exception of redesigning a well-known character actually turns out to be as good as it looked.

Famassu

codhand said:
For real, it's funny how fickle these sites can be, ignoring the 3DS and this game in particular. Granted the launch titles weren't great, but you could say the same for any system ever released.

The homogeneity of reviews becomes apparent when something different comes along and people are too busy fighting over reviewing the same damn games as everyone else. For example 50 + reviews fawning over Batman, but just two for this game which as someone who hasn't played it, it at least appears to offer something new. I didn't need 50 critics to tell me Batman was good.

It makes me think that once the editors of these bigger publications start to ignore a system or a game, everyone else follows suit. I know Skyrim will be good, I know Uncharted 3 will be good, I too anticipate their reviews, but not if it means a disproportionate number of unique titles get ignored.
I'm just gonna response to this by saying that... it's hard to review anything other than the console versions when publishers don't send us anything but the console versions. I would've loved to test out the 3DS version but, alas, it's not possible.

fernoca

Famassu said:
I'm just gonna response to this by saying that... it's hard to review anything other than the console versions when publishers don't send us anything but the console versions. I would've loved to test out the 3DS version but, alas, it's not possible.
Though as many cases, it depends on the site. I mean, Kotaku got the 3DS version along with the console versions. My main thing was with "big sites"; Kotaku is technically a big site and they confirmed they got one; but no word about a review of it, other than the "Gut Check" which was general more than specific. IGN got them and said that the reviews would be up by the "end of the week"...last week.

Guess it depends on the site, heck Nintendo World Report got both Wii and 3DS versions and they reviewed both and were the first ones to review the games per se; on top of them been a relatively smaller site compared to others. Granted, most of the sites are probably busy with the wave of big games...Battlefield 3 is coming this week, Batman was released last week too.

If anything, it would be nice if the 3DS version was "acknowledged"; even by watching a few videos they could notice (and mention) some of the differences (if they're just going to make one general review like GameTrailers) and see how things works; before just saying things like "the game uses AR cards " (which is false) or "the game's a platformer" (which is true, but doesn't say much -heck many consider the console versions as "action platformers")...and nothing else.

Hawk269

Bamelin said:
They want you to buy more minatures. I doubt they will ever rise the lvl cap.

Oh and by the way I discovered tonight that the pirate ship and darklight crypt do more than just open up extra the chapters. You can also use them once per chapter as kill everything on the screen "smart bombs".

I am sure when they make more adventures or a Skylanders 2 that they dont expect you to buy all new figures just to play the sequel/add-on adventures? I know that they will have new characters in the future, but I highly doubt that if someone buys the first 32 that in the sequel you cant use them.

Takao

Banned
The 3DS version's pretty unfair. If you're good at it, and complete some of the quests, the game will give you 2 minutes to complete the level or else you'll automatically die. That's even if the level is 5 minutes long, and you complete the trigger task in 2 minutes.

I've done things early, and have tried to speed run my way to the end of the level by not getting into any conflict and I still can't make it.

Hawk269

I have been reporting some technical/performance issues to activision in regards to the PC version of the game. For the most part, it runs at 60fps with max settings, there are many parts like the start and 1/4 chapter 2 that the game falls to the 20fps level. In some parts of the "Pirate Seas" adventure level, I drop to 10-15fps. I have a killer rig, like I listed below in a post I made at the DarkSpyro Message forums.

If any has any ideas I can try, I would appreciate it.:

Well, I have sent Activision my DIAG file for them to look at as they requested. They then replied to try 720p vs. 1080p and this did nothing. The only way to sustain 60fps in Chapter 2 and the Pirate Seas Level is to drop the quality level to "Middle" vs. High. For reference, I have a Intel 2600k CPU, GTX-580 3Gb GPU (x2), 8gigs of Ram...basically I can run every game known at 60fps at the highest settings @1080p, but with this game, the only way to sustain 60fps in all areas is to have it set to "Middle" or "Medium" in the game menu. Changing Shadow levels has no impact. The odd thing is that for most of the game, it does play at 60fps, except for Chapter 2 in most areas of the Pirate Seas level. I am sure since I am early that will also dip in other areas as well. The sad thing is that the game is only utilizing 15-20% of the GPU when it drops to these absurd frame rates. Even when running at 60fps in other areas, it is still only using max 40% of the GPU.

Lastly, I find it annoying that I cannot force any AA of AF in the game as the game clearly has some jaggie areas. The funny thing is, when running in Medium or Middle, the game actually looks better. The only thing that I can tell and this is just through some testing is that High add's blades of grass into the visuals, where in medium/middle they are flat grass textures. Because the game does not allow any AA or AF, in high with the grass blades, there is alot more aliasing going on. Ideally, the best scenario is for them to fix the performance issues and then allow the ability to add AA and AF to improve the image quality.

As of right now, I am thinking of just shelving the game for a little until they can fix it..but if they don't I am not sure what I am going to do. I have every character that has been released, I have the 3pack Legenday Set and I have the 2 Adventure Add-on's, so I have invested alot into the game. While I still can play at "medium", ther eis no reason why this game is not running at max frame rate at full setting with the rig I have.

Machine

Takao said:
The 3DS version's pretty unfair. If you're good at it, and complete some of the quests, the game will give you 2 minutes to complete the level or else you'll automatically die. That's even if the level is 5 minutes long, and you complete the trigger task in 2 minutes.

I've done things early, and have tried to speed run my way to the end of the level by not getting into any conflict and I still can't make it.

There are usually little stopwatches scattered around. If you hit those, you get extra time. I have had trouble with my mediocre platforming skills but not with running out of time.

B-Dex

So I caved and got myself the 3DS version as well. Loaded in my lvl 9 trigger happy no problem. Even had the same hat on.

Just have to remember to re-scan them before you stop playing to save their new stats onto the toy.

Dark Spyro didn't unlock a challenge in the console version. Unless I missed the message about.

hitmon

Outtrigger888 said:
Just picked up stealth elf, flame slinger, and some dude with crystals on his arms. I want the pirate seas pack for the shark character but that will wait until next week when i get paid. My girlfriend made a comment on how i want this more for myself than for our daughter for Christmas :p

The shark is one of my favorites. :)

Takao

Banned
Machine said:
There are usually little stopwatches scattered around. If you hit those, you get extra time. I have had trouble with my mediocre platforming skills but not with running out of time.

Where are you in the game? I've never had a problem with the time ticking down until the world I'm in, which I believe is the very last.

BooJoh

Takao said:

I haven't run out of time yet, and I'm on the fourth world now. Sometimes I'll hit a particularly bad spot where I fall repeatedly, but I still haven't run out of time because of the stopwatches.

I think the idea is that by making you rush to the exit, you're pretty much forced to replay levels for alternate goals, since getting multiple goals in one run takes a lot of luck.

I've only unlocked the final challenge for one level, but if they're all the same then anyone who hates the timer might have issues with those.

fernoca

Yeah. Haven't ran out of time on the 3DS version yet. On 5-2 right now.

Awesome game. See myself replaying (some more since I'm already replaying some areas) when I get more characters; I mostly focused on Dark Spyro which is at level 10. Still using him since he's awesome and strong, but starting to use Stealth Elf some more (Level 8).

Picked up the pirate seas pack, whirl wind?, and chop chop today. Having a hard time tracking some figures it seems all the stores have the same 10 or so. This is the first time I've had a toy ich in 14 years or so. Been having fun going into stores and looking behind all the figures for ones I'm looking for.

B-Dex said:
So I caved and got myself the 3DS version as well. Loaded in my lvl 9 trigger happy no problem. Even had the same hat on.

Just have to remember to re-scan them before you stop playing to save their new stats onto the toy.

Dark Spyro didn't unlock a challenge in the console version. Unless I missed the message about.

Dark Spyro does not fit into the 32 list. He's just a Spyro variant.

fernoca

By the way; Toys R Us still has 2 "offers" related to Skylanders figures:

1. Buy any $19.99 (or above) game; get a $7.99 Skylanders figure for free. (started on October 23; ends October 29)
2. Buy $100 in Skylanders purchases (games, accessories, figures), get a Skylanders figure for free. (Ends December 24)

fernoca

B-Dex said:
3DS version lists and shows 37!
Yep.

3DS versions lists:

Magic
1. Voodood
2. Wrecking Ball
3. Double Trouble
4. Spyro
5. Legendary Spyro
6. Dark Spyro​

Water
1. Gill Grunt
2. Slam Bam
3. Zap
4. Wham-Shell​

Wind
1. Warnado
2. Lightning Rod
3. Sonic Boom
4. Whirldwind​

Undead
1. Ghost Roaster
2. Hex
3. Chop Chop
4. Legendary Chop Chop
5. Cynder​

Tech
1. Trigger Happy
2. Legendary Trigger Happy
3. Boomer
4. Drobot
5. Drill Sergeant​

Fire
1. Flameslinger
2. Ignitor
3. Eruptor
4. Sunburn​

Earth
1. Bash
2. Legendary Bash
3. Dino-Rang
4. Prism-Break
5. Terrafin​

Life
1. Stealth Elf
2. Zook
3. Stump Smash
4. Camo​

And 4 Adventure Packs:
1. Pirate Seas
2. Empire of Ice
3. Darklight Crypt
4. Dragon's Peak

BooJoh

fernoca said:
By the way; Toys R Us still has 2 "offers" related to Skylanders figures:

1. Buy any $19.99 (or above) game; get a $7.99 Skylanders figure for free. (started on October 23; ends October 29)
2. Buy $100 in Skylanders purchases (games, accessories, figures), get a Skylanders figure for free. (Ends December 24)
Does it have to be a game, or could I buy a $20 Skylanders level pack or figure 3-pack and get another figure free?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm not embarrassed to say that I've purchased the 3DS and Wii version (at Best Buy for the Volcanic arena exclusive) of this, along with the three pack including Boomer, and the Wal-Mart and Target exclusives. I plan to head to Wal-Mart and grab Sonic Boom and Zap (those are the only two solo pack only, right?) to begin finishing my collection.

This game is a stupid disease...But holy hell is it a LOT more fun than I expected.

E: Is there ANY lead on how to get the Legendary Trigger Happy? I nabbed the Legendary pack at TRU online, but still haven't seen info on him yet.

BooJoh

nicoga3000 said:
I'm not embarrassed to say that I've purchased the 3DS and Wii version (at Best Buy for the Volcanic arena exclusive) of this, along with the three pack including Boomer, and the Wal-Mart and Target exclusives. I plan to head to Wal-Mart and grab Sonic Boom and Zap (those are the only two solo pack only, right?) to begin finishing my collection.

This game is a stupid disease...But holy hell is it a LOT more fun than I expected.

E: Is there ANY lead on how to get the Legendary Trigger Happy? I nabbed the Legendary pack at TRU online, but still haven't seen info on him yet.
I've heard that Legendary Trigger Happy will be given at Toys R Us if you spend over $100, mailed after Christmas.

Source: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/disc...crack-for-kids.-adults-too.-pc-360-ps3-3ds/p7

Pachimari

Oh wow, we just received a whole lot of these figures and games at the retail store, and stands as well so it'll get special attention. People have already asked for this game and it's figures.

BooJoh

B-Dex said:
Can you even do that in Canada? This is gonna be lame if I have to ebay him for a ridiculous price. (Trigger Happy is one of my favs so far)
I really have no idea, I'm not even a TRU Rewards member.

Takao

Banned
B-Dex said:
Can you even do that in Canada? This is gonna be lame if I have to ebay him for a ridiculous price. (Trigger Happy is one of my favs so far)

Someone in that thread said all the retailer exclusive toys will lose their exclusivity once the second wave of figures hit.

I really wish we had that TRU Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale, since I'd buy a console version, and a bunch of the figures (still have just the base figures from the 3DS version).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My thought was that (and from what I was reading) you get a voucher for one free figure. I seriously hope that they don't fuck us over by saying you HAVE to spend $100 at TRU just to get that dude.

Also, did you figure out your answer BooJoh regarding the TRU $19.99 game thing? I might drive down there tonight to finish my collection if I can figure out a way to get a "deal" on things.

BooJoh

nicoga3000 said:
Also, did you figure out your answer BooJoh regarding the TRU $19.99 game thing? I might drive down there tonight to finish my collection if I can figure out a way to get a "deal" on things.
Nope, I still don't know.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Aye - I'll try calling or something and figuring it out.

Another question...Before I crack my Wii version open, should I consider taking it back and switching it for the PS3/PC version? I'm going to end up getting a PS3 soon (between now and Christmas), and I'm worried that the Wii version won't EVER be able to add new content since I don't think it ever receives updates/actual DLC for in game stuff (read: new levels). Unless there are no known plans to ADD this stuff, in which case, I'll just say to hell with it.

oh WOW i just found Whirlwind in Germany, its not available at Amazon nor any big Store here, but today I was at Müller (because of the 20% off) and there it was - a huge stock of whirlwind figures! A-MA-ZING haha

fernoca

BooJoh said:
Does it have to be a game, or could I buy a $20 Skylanders level pack or figure 3-pack and get another figure free?
Late response; but from what I was told...only games. Last week's deal worked because it was Buy 2 Get 3rd on games, accessories and toys. So you could mix between the 3.

Though I do wonder if they allow returns for the game; or only refund part of it (in this case $12.00) like they do with their sales.

nicoga3000 said:
Aye - I'll try calling or something and figuring it out.

Another question...Before I crack my Wii version open, should I consider taking it back and switching it for the PS3/PC version? I'm going to end up getting a PS3 soon (between now and Christmas), and I'm worried that the Wii version won't EVER be able to add new content since I don't think it ever receives updates/actual DLC for in game stuff (read: new levels). Unless there are no known plans to ADD this stuff, in which case, I'll just say to hell with it.
At the moment, there's no confirmation or additional info regarding updates/DLC; so...hard to tell. At the same time, Activision is one of the few (if only) developers that has used the Wii-online related aspects ..with respect (actual DLC, patches, etc.) so..we'll see.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh wow, so Wii CAN get DLC stuff? TOTALLY didn't realize that. In that case, I'll probably crack the game open tonight.

fernoca

nicoga3000 said:
Oh wow, so Wii CAN get DLC stuff? TOTALLY didn't realize that. In that case, I'll probably crack the game open tonight.
Yeah it can. There are a few games with it (like Guitar Hero World Tour/5/Warriors of Rock, Rock Band2/3/Beatles, Band Hero, Final Fantasy: My Life as King and a few others). Call of Duty Black Ops allows for patch/updates. ;)

Doesn't mean this one will though. :p
So in the end; if you have doubts well; get the PS3 version in that case.

Plus the game was made as a Wii game and they haven't said anything about DLC...well, at least not yet. If there's DLC planned, I guess they might have thought about it while making it on the Wii; instead of adding it only on the other versions.

fernoca

Penny-Arcade's still at it: XD

CqNlf.png

cgZOU.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The game is surprisingly good, so I'm happy PA is covering it like they are. But I want to make sure I get MY toys before it catches fire. B-) Ima selfish sonofabitch.

And fernoca, you do make a point. Also, the expansion level toys are SORT of like DLC, right? I haven't bought any yet...But I intend to go buy them tonight. Dear lord this game is hurting my wallet.

I love it.

E: Go find a Whirlwind while you can. Apparently it's getting tough to find? My Target had 3, so I got mine proudly ready to load up later.

And out of curiosity, is it easier to level on the 3DS? I may start playing the Wii version simply to keep my toys level lower for a bit...Although Pokemon Rumble Blast will also share the spotlight here. -_-

fernoca

nicoga3000 said:
The game is surprisingly good, so I'm happy PA is covering it like they are. But I want to make sure I get MY toys before it catches fire. B-) Ima selfish sonofabitch.

And fernoca, you do make a point. Also, the expansion level toys are SORT of like DLC, right? I haven't bought any yet...But I intend to go buy them tonight. Dear lord this game is hurting my wallet.

I love it.

E: Go find a Whirlwind while you can. Apparently it's getting tough to find? My Target had 3, so I got mine proudly ready to load up later.

And out of curiosity, is it easier to level on the 3DS? I may start playing the Wii version simply to keep my toys level lower for a bit...Although Pokemon Rumble Blast will also share the spotlight here. -_-
Kinda, yep. Though the toys unlock content that's already on the disc/cartridge.
Darn, no Target's in here = No Whirlwind. I'll have to check on eBay; when I have money of course. Me getting this game last Friday was a miracle already. XD

And yep, leveling's easier on the 3DS. Well, other's that have both versions (3DS + console) noticed.

I kinda noticed; because not only you earn a ton of experience playing (and replaying) each level and then at the end you earn more depending on the energy you collect and the remaining time; but the second character you have on the game (you can have 2 at any time) also gets experience at the end of each level.

My Dark Spyro made it to Level 10 when I finished into 5-1 (there are 5 worlds/portals with 5 levels each)..and I barely used Stealth Elf (she's the second one I have in-game) and she was already Level 8, when I went to 5-2; so I'm using her now (though I still prefer Dark Spyro) :p [Haven't used Ignitor at all yet, even when I like his design]

Yup. That last panel is me. Hahaha... I love that expression.

I'm still trying to figure out if the rumor is true about the Legendary Trigger Happy coming from the Toys R Us special (buy $100 worth of Skylanders using a rewards card before the end of the year and receive a figure). If it is, and it's exclusive to that promo.... FACKKKK.

I'll end up buying Skylanders as gifts this Christmas. >.>

rukland

hitmon said:
The shark is one of my favorites. :)

The shark is my favorite. I was out in Vegas all last week for a buddies wedding. We happened to be in Best Buy and on a whim he picked up the game. We ended up hitting every store in the area to find as many of the figures as we could. Infact we played it a ton with the wedding party and all the groom's men got a copy. Mine is still sealed as I figure it will make a great Christmas present for my eldest daughter. But that did not stop me from already buying some more figures today.

Somehow this game is just super fun. And I can only imagine what they could do with this system in the future.

Kinda fucked myself, chop chop and fireslinger are in each of the 3 packs a and I bought them individually so now I have to purchase all single figures. Havnt even opened the game and have spent a lot. Im gonna go hunt down drill sergeant, zap, and sonic boom.

Top Bottom