• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Takao

Banned
beje said:
Just 4 hours? waiting for price bomba then D:

Yeah, it probably would've been less if I was interested in a speed run. Though I didn't purposely grind or anything, and only replayed levels when I needed more gems to open the final gate.

From the thoughts online, it really does seem like the 3DS version is a companion piece that needs the console version. Like, I know "lol story in a platformer" and all but I had no clue what was going on. Why wasn't Spyro talking? Who are these Skylanders guys? Why does this Hector guy want to kill me? Apparently those things are explained in the console version.

beje

Banned
Takao said:
Yeah, it probably would've been less if I was interested in a speed run. Though I didn't purposely grind or anything, and only replayed levels when I needed more gems to open the final gate.

From the thoughts online, it really does seem like the 3DS version is a companion piece that needs the console version. Like, I know "lol story in a platformer" and all but I had no clue what was going on. Why wasn't Spyro talking? Who are these Skylanders guys? Why does this Hector guy want to kill me? Apparently those things are explained in the console version.

Doesn't speak well for a game that's almost as much as two 3DS games... yeah, I'll save that money.

fernoca

Yep. 3DS version is short, but it was like made to be replayed over and over. It kinda makes me go want to buy at least one figurine from each element just to tackle all challenges. But no money; so who knows.

At the same time , 3DS games cost $30-$40; each figure costs $8 and this one has 3 so that's $24 (and one that at the moment is exclusive); plus the wireless portal..that's already $70. Excluding the misc. stuff like the USB cable, cards, stickers, batteries and poster.

Yeah, it may not seem like much to some; but the way I saw it..was like buying a collectors edition of a 3DS game. I mean, Star Fox 64 is even shorter than this game and costs $40; and is still worth it (depending on who you ask of course :p). The overall production values are quite nice; really glad that Vicarious is already making games for the Wii U. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Another little spree to get the two solo singles. THIS GAME!!!

I also have the legendary TRU thing coming by the end of the week. The little Best Buy exclusive seems...small...What exactly IS it?

Also, someone on the darkspyro message board posted this:

"I asked my Toysrus...and they said the $100 has to be in a single transaction...and that the free figure is just a figure off the shelves/display! Do they not know what they are talking about? Or is this really how to get the Legendary Trigger Happy? "

So I'm unsure still about Legendary Trigger Happy. I REALLY want him, because he's a blast to use. But I won't spend $100 at TRU anytime soon.

fernoca

Another console review posted (Xbox 360)

Impulse Gamer: 8.0
With Christmas just around corner, Impulse Gamer could happily recommend this to most parents with younger gamers in the house. Not only are the figurines quite cool in appearance but it opens up a whole new gaming gimmick that actually works on all levels. It's a cross between a toy, card game and arcade game which makes Skylander: Spyro's Adventure such a compelling game from start to finish and then several more revisits. The cross platform experience is brilliant but just be warned, that it may end up costing you a little more than anticipated.

...and a new 3DS review! :O!

Game Vortex: 95%
While Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure on the DS is a totally different game, it is perfect for those of us that miss the platforming and jumping characters. Personally, I wish that they would merge that into the easily switchable characters on the other version and have a 110% perfect game! As it is, having both the 3DS game and any of the other versions is wonderful because you've always got a different thing to try when you get tired of one. If you like platformers, you should definitely go pick up Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures for the 3DS today!

Xander51

When I heard that this was a Gauntlet Legends clone and discovered that Patrick Warburton was in it I had to pick it up. Loving it so far. I feel like Activision nailed the perfect sweet spot pricing these figures to get me to pick up a bunch of them. I'm impressed at just how differently the characters play.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Xander51 said:
When I heard that this was a Gauntlet Legends clone and discovered that Patrick Warburton was in it I had to pick it up. Loving it so far. I feel like Activision nailed the perfect sweet spot pricing these figures to get me to pick up a bunch of them. I'm impressed at just how differently the characters play.

And that's exactly why I have 15 of them, haha.

In a burst of awesomeness Walmart decided to give me my Drill Sergeant for free.

The register lady rang him up, I heard the scanner beep, and she kept on going even though no price came up on the register. I asked her to double check (no need to be dishonest and the kids were with me. Gotta set a good example after all) and she says it rang up as a free item. Not sure why but I was happy to oblige her!

So as much as I hate shopping in that cesspool of a store, they gave me free toys.

Can't knock them for that.

WAVE 1 COMPLETE.

Time to play the waiting game for the next batch of figures...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Rad. My only beef with Drill Sergeant is how is X attack is pretty broken. Where did you manage to find the other adventure set? I can only find the set with Terrafin.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So the 3DS version is good ? Wow, didnt expect that.

Is there a video review out there (3DS ?

fernoca

cw_sasuke said:
So the 3DS version is good ? Wow, didnt expect that.

Is there a video review out there (3DS ?
Nope, no video reviews.. :/ ..and only 3 written reviews by sites so far. There are videos in the main post and around YouTube about it (like this unboxing..PAL version; but the same and this one from the same guy, showing gameplay and how it works [the button-prompts only appear in that first/training level]) ; but not much outside there.

NEO0MJ said:
Just noticed that Amazon put the 3DS version under review. Anyone have any idea why?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VQEOHY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Weird.
Around "the net"; I've mostly seen reports of crashes and some of the portals not working properly; but on the console versions.

For the 3DS, mostly I've seen "complaints" about how the game's different (which is not advertised) and that the portal is "harder to use" (because it uses IR, so you have to point directly; and some people don't get that....even when the game-screen says how to do it).

No problems here, neither.

fernoca

Wickwire said:
Reading about this being like Gauntlet Legends has gotten me interested. Could I use an arcade stick to play the game?
Technically you could; if the stick works with other non-fighting games then it should work here. (for example I remember playing TMNT Re-Shelled with the Tekken 6 stick).

Now, I'm not sure if the second analog stick is used prominently through the game; so maybe someone else can share more details in that aspect. :p

fernoca

Finally ran out of time in one level of the 3DS game! XD
5-3!
All, because I decided to go back and grab a gift I saw. :p

But stage's quite...hectic anyway. Lots of tornadoes and lightnings, plus enemies; along moving/rotating platforms. Really nice.

Xander51

fernoca said:
Technically you could; if the stick works with other non-fighting games then it should work here. (for example I remember playing TMNT Re-Shelled with the Tekken 6 stick).

Now, I'm not sure if the second analog stick is used prominently through the game; so maybe someone else can share more details in that aspect. :p

The second analog stick is used to put keys into doors and to open chests, so it's vital.

BooJoh

NEO0MJ said:
Just noticed that Amazon put the 3DS version under review. Anyone have any idea why?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VQEOHY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I've had it freeze once, but I doubt that's it. Maybe there's something wrong with the way they're shipping it and they're breaking in transit, I suspect that may have happened to mine. It shipped, and the tracking showed it go to Charlotte, Winston-Salem, then my town, then suddenly it was in Charlotte again, Winston-Salem again, and then arrived the next day. My only guess is it may have arrived to my local post office severely damaged or something, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: It also says "there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here." Maybe they're getting complaints that the 3DS version is nothing like described, since they use the console description/features/screenshots for the 3DS version.

fernoca

BooJoh said:
EDIT: It also says "there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here." Maybe they're getting complaints that the 3DS version is nothing like described, since they use the console description/features/screenshots for the 3DS version.
Yeah, just noticed.
The pics and information are from the console versions. Which is misleading; since the product description even only talks about the Xbox 360 version, co-op, etc...which aren't in the 3DS version.

Guess it's an Amazon mix-up more than problems with the product per se.

fernoca

Sorry for the bump, but since this is "news":

The soundtrack is now available in iTunes. Click the image to go there.

fernoca

Well, and sorry again... :p

Added a few behind the scenes pic (not that big in size though) and coloring-pages for "Parent Gaf". :p (along the soundtrack info/link)

sRulg.png

wcifm.png

(820 x 1060)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's really cool fernoca - thanks! I love the pic with Trigger Happy and his LOOOONG ass tongue. That's hilarious!

Also, I'm running into a weird issue (cross posted):

"I just want to check...For anyone playing the console versions alongside the 3DS version, how does it work for making sure your playing at the correct level with you Skylander? Example...

I was pretty sure I had some experience (or level 2 even) with Zap on my Wii. But I know I had loaded Zap up once on my 3DS version, just to get him in there and see him. When I loaded him up into my 3DS again (after having used him on my Wii), he had no experience and was level 1.

My question is if anyone knows a) the system precedence and b) how to make sure this isn't an issue."

Any idea what's up with this?

fernoca

nicoga3000 said:
That's really cool fernoca - thanks! I love the pic with Trigger Happy and his LOOOONG ass tongue. That's hilarious!

Also, I'm running into a weird issue (cross posted):

"I just want to check...For anyone playing the console versions alongside the 3DS version, how does it work for making sure your playing at the correct level with you Skylander? Example...

I was pretty sure I had some experience (or level 2 even) with Zap on my Wii. But I know I had loaded Zap up once on my 3DS version, just to get him in there and see him. When I loaded him up into my 3DS again (after having used him on my Wii), he had no experience and was level 1.

My question is if anyone knows a) the system precedence and b) how to make sure this isn't an issue."

Any idea what's up with this?
Hmm..I think someone mentioned something similar earlier; but cant't find it. * Checking around*

On the 3DS version, make sure to always talk to Wendel and transfer the stats over to the figure (i.e. talk to him with the character, put that figure in the portal, stats will be updated and the character will be back into the game). If instead, you put another figure; that new figure will take that place; but the stats of the other will remain on the game until you put that figure.

So if you plan on alternating between versions, always make sure to put that figure again on the portal before turning off the 3DS version.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So basically, when I'm done playing, I need to go to Wendel and "re-summon" my Skylanders before powering down? The stats are saved the figure on IMPORT, right?

BooJoh

My figures definitely kept their xp from the PS3 version to the 3DS version the first time I loaded them.

The only thing I haven't really tested is what happens if you gain xp on 3DS, don't update the figure, gain xp on console, then load the figure on 3DS. I'm assuming it'll just add the xp earned on 3DS since the last load to the figure's total, but I always update back to the figures before going back to PS3.

fernoca

nicoga3000 said:
So basically, when I'm done playing, I need to go to Wendel and "re-summon" my Skylanders before powering down? The stats are saved the figure on IMPORT, right?
Yep, always talk to him when you're one "just in case".

As BooJoh noted, don't know what happened if you forget to do so, continue playing on another version; then go back to the 3DS version.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
codhand said:
Seriously though, 50 reviews telling me Uncharted 3 is great, and still only two reviews for Spyro?

Yes, it's a bit....sad.

Also, boojoh, I think I experienced the situation you outlined. But I want to test it again JUST to make sure I think. It shouldn't be too hard to test since I have them both right here....

I think I'm up to 16-20 guys now. I think the only ones I don't have are in the 3DS starter - I'm really hoping they show up as individuals someday because I don't really want to buy the 3DS game even though I own a 3DS.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sonic Boom. I have REALLY enjoyed playing as him/her, especially with the secondary attack - it's little baby dragons that run and attack in front of you. And I love Sonic Boom's wide attack angle.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Saw a bunch of crypt expansions at TRU today.

And a legendary edition that had been taped up and returned after someone removed Legendary Spyro and replaced it with normal Spyro.

chixdiggit

nicoga3000 said:
Sonic Boom. I have REALLY enjoyed playing as him/her, especially with the secondary attack - it's little baby dragons that run and attack in front of you. And I love Sonic Boom's wide attack angle.
Good enough for me. Thanks.

Also how limited is the store exclusive stuff? I already picked up the TRU exclusive, should I be rushing out to get the Target and Wal-mart exclusives?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
chixdiggit said:
Good enough for me. Thanks.

Also how limited is the store exclusive stuff? I already picked up the TRU exclusive, should I be rushing out to get the Target and Wal-mart exclusives?

I've seen bunch at both. Haven't even decided to get the game yet, but I've been tempted to pick up Whirlwind. Barfing Rainbows is just a great idea.

BooJoh

I wonder if we can expect the second wave before Christmas. The Santa Hat seems to be obtained from one of the adventure pack levels, at least on 3DS, so maybe that's some planning ahead on their part... or poor planning if it's coming after the holidays.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
DrForester said:
I've seen bunch at both. Haven't even decided to get the game yet, but I've been tempted to pick up Whirlwind. Barfing Rainbows is just a great idea.

Whirlwind is fun, but he feels a bit weak at the start. But yes, vomiting infinite rainbows is tons of fun. Toss in the secondary that makes your primary rainbows split and you've got power rainbows.

fernoca said:
Yeah.
Darklight Crypt, is dated November 15 at Walmart.com; so guess that by that time (which is a month after release) guess some of the "store exclusives" will start popping by. (Or at least I hope.. :p ... since there are no Targets around here)

Oh man...May just wait then. Or not. I need both adventure packs and the three pack with Stump Smash, and I think that rounds out my collection. Also, I REALLY want Wrecking Ball. :-X

bodine1231

Just listening to jeffs thoughts about this game on today's Bombcast has got me really excited to try this out. I'm a toy collector (I own a complete Transformers G1 collection) and I love gauntlet style games so this looks right up my alley!

Just got my copy last night, ordered from Amazon Friday night and got delivered yesterday, 3 days international shipping to Australia, my god are Amazon amazing.

Anyway got my copy and have been hooked soo far. Went down to the GAME before work today and picked up Sonic Boom and the Pirate Seas pack and I'm already addicted. I was planning on only getting 1 of each type but after looking through all the Skylanders I've come to the realization I'm going to need to buy all of them, they just look soo awesome. Also thinking about getting the 360 version now just to be able to play through that.

Enjoying the 3DS game, like the platforming and combat, Sonicboom is amazing, love his attacks. Going to try out Terrafin later when I get time as well as Stealth Elf who I didn't really look at much when I opened the box. Activision really has a great idea with this and I kinda hope they do more with it. As I've said before, if they make an animated series to go along with the sequel game I really think they could have something almost on Pokemon levels of massive here. I just hope they don't do what they did with Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk and run it into the ground with yearly updates. If they try and go for one game every 2 years I really do think they could get alot out of this series in the long term.

Oh also there is a review up on Vooks.net for the 3DS version if anyone is interested
http://www.vooks.net/article-1498-Skylanders-Spyros-Adventure-3DS-Review.html

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Regarding the Wal-Mart/Target exclusives...I think they're both sold out online? But it really depends on your location. I'm on the west side of Indianapolis, and it doesn't seem to be TOO huge right now. I got one of the last 3 Whirlwinds, but Wal-Mart had like, 6 Drill Sergeants. I scored the Legendary TRU pack online, but I still need to grab the adventure packs...Trip after work!

BooJoh

In regards to the Toys R Us promotion that supposedly might be for Legendary Trigger Happy; here's the image from their site:
mvi5us.jpg

That's all the info I see about it on their site. Clicking it used to go to their Skylanders section of the store, now it just goes to the store locator.

And here's what my rewards account looks like atm:
TRUrewards.jpg

I'm new to the TRU Rewards program, so I'm unclear on what the "qualifying dollars" is exactly, and I'm not sure why the adventure packs don't have the little Skylanders S by them since they should count.

BTW, if anyone's still wondering, the $20 figure packs do not get you a free $8 figure with the current "buy a $20 game get a figure free" promotion.

Yaceka said:
Are there any differences between the Wii and PS3 versions? I'm having trouble deciding.
I went with PS3 because it runs in HD and doesn't use motion controls. I don't think there's much difference beyond that, but I haven't played the Wii version.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the info BooJoh. That sort of suggests that you get ANY figure...Bah. So hard to decide.

And PS3 vs Wii? I have the Wii version and it seems fine. What I've seen online suggests that there are little to no differences (maybe chest location or enemy placement variants?). Graphically, PS3 > Wii, but that's a gimme.

Top Bottom