• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Swap-Force |OT|

Weenerz

Banned
Picked up the PS4 version from Walmart today for $37, now I just need to figure out what combos I need to unlock everything. Is there a guide to the minimum number of skylanders that I need to own to 100% this game?

i picked up a giant figure off amazon's lightning deal because there's a door that says only giants can go in? i'm waiting tomorrow for the B2G1 on amazon. i'm sure i won't be as quick. its like they only allocate 3 lol.

Weenerz

Banned
Slightly annoying thing happening with my portal and the PS4, if I keep the PS4 in standby mode, the portal is on the entire time, so either I have to unplug the USB cable, or turn the system off. Most likely caused by the ability to charge over USB, just thought it was silly.

i picked up a giant figure off amazon's lightning deal because there's a door that says only giants can go in? i'm waiting tomorrow for the B2G1 on amazon. i'm sure i won't be as quick. its like they only allocate 3 lol.

There is no Giant exclusive doors or areas in the game, just treasure chests.

ViciousDS

Banned
So I couldn't pass this up for $37 at Wal-Mart today. My wife is now obsessed. Oh god what have I done.

Your Wife is obsessed?

I had extra money on my power up card and said hey why the hell not and picked up the PS4 starter pack.....I'm fucking addicted.

I am a huge RPG heavy and Shooter guy but GGGAAAHHHHDDDD damn the platforming and just amount of depth that this game has on each skylander is amazing.

Sucks that I have to shell more money to unlock all the areas....but I don't really feel that forced to, no in fact I want to get more figures, level them up and get new abilities.

I can't believe I got into an activity that requires me to collect shit again, I thought I was done after the whole Yu-Gi-Oh phenomenon.

Blast GAF and the threads on Skylanders the last week or so.

But any deals on the figures and maybe a guide for a minimalist spender who wants all areas while saving the most money.

Jamezeite

Banned
I picked up the PS4 version earlier this week when Walmart started some sale prices early (the $37 deal) and god damn this game is good.

I've loved following the series since conception and always thought it looked brilliant. I love the art style, creative character designs, and the idea of your character's progression and unlocks being stored on a physical/visual representation of the character. Yet somehow, I never bought the starter packs or took the plunge. Well, that's a lie -- I briefly owned the Wii U version of Giants, but that thing was/is a framerate trainwreck, and I quickly realized it was not the way to be introduced to the series. I sold the game/portal and kept the figures for my inevitable return to the franchise.

I had to realllllly resist picking up the PS3 version of Swap Force at launch, but I managed to wait it out, mainly because of other bills + the looming $400 PS4 purchase. But holy hell am I glad I waited - the PS4 version of this game is gorgeous. I am literally in awe sometimes at the colors and crispness of the scenes I'm PLAYING. It's an overused sentiment, but it really is like you're playing a Pixar movie.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up the PS4 version earlier this week when Walmart started some sale prices early (the $37 deal) and god damn this game is good.

I've loved following the series since conception and always thought it looked brilliant. I love the art style, creative character designs, and the idea of your character's progression and unlocks being stored on a physical/visual representation of the character. Yet somehow, I never bought the starter packs or took the plunge. Well, that's a lie -- I briefly owned the Wii U version of Giants, but that thing was/is a framerate trainwreck, and I quickly realized it was not the way to be introduced to the series. I sold the game/portal and kept the figures for my inevitable return to the franchise.

I had to realllllly resist picking up the PS3 version of Swap Force at launch, but I managed to wait it out, mainly because of other bills + the looming $400 PS4 purchase. But holy hell am I glad I waited - the PS4 version of this game is gorgeous. I am literally in awe sometimes at the colors and crispness of the scenes I'm PLAYING. It's an overused sentiment, but it really is like you're playing a Pixar movie.

You had framerate issues with Giants on the Wii U? Our only troubles were crashing a few times during the pre-system update times.

Sobriquet

Your Wife is obsessed?

Oh yeah. I went and picked up six Skylanders for her at Target's B2G1 sale today. It has everything she wants in a game: smashing stuff, cuteness, animation, collecting stuff, stats and upgrades, Patrick Warburton.

I'm enjoying watching her. I'm continually surprised at how great this game is. I'm up next. Although I have to do some of the platforming segments for her. :D

Is this game even available as a digital download on PS4? Guess I'm asking if it can be played without the figures. Have never played Skylanders but I'm liking the art design and need a little break from the killing in BF4 and AC4.

Is this game even available as a digital download on PS4? Guess I'm asking if it can be played without the figures. Have never played Skylanders but I'm liking the art design and need a little break from the killing in BF4 and AC4.

No, you do need the figures but the "starter pack" which retails for around $75, but lots of black friday sales going on, gives you everything you need to experience the core game less a few little side areas.

I managed to pick mine up for $40 in Canada @ a Toys R' Us yesterday.

No, you do need the figures but the "starter pack" which retails for around $75, but lots of black friday sales going on, gives you everything you need to experience the core game less a few little side areas.

I managed to pick mine up for $40 in Canada @ a Toys R' Us yesterday.
Thanks! Damn my whole reason for going all digital was to get rid of all the clutter. This game looks good though. May have to go with Lego Marvel instead.

Sobriquet

Thanks! Damn my whole reason for going all digital was to get rid of all the clutter. This game looks good though. May have to go with Lego Marvel instead.

If you're not interested in collecting figures, it's probably best to go with Lego Marvel. Both games are awesome, though.

I know there is no real multiplayer, but the few GAF PS4 Skylanders 3 players should all exchange PSN for the highscores lists for some fun competition and community.

Please, feel free to add me: jacob_armitage

I know we have lots of PSN exchange info threads, but thought best to post this here.

Orca

I asked Dan Amrich about it on Twitter and found out that you need an all new portal for the next gen versions...again. This 'buy a new starter pack every game' bullshit is getting ridiculous.

I asked Dan Amrich about it on Twitter and found out that you need an all new portal for the next gen versions...again. This 'buy a new starter pack every game' bullshit is getting ridiculous.

That seems daft, i actually had the "dark edition" for 360 that my wife bought me as a birthday present, i double dipped on the ps4 version only due to a black friday sale (though rather glad i did, they put more effort into that i expected) and the portal from the 360 version works just fine with the ps4.

Also i was a bit bummed out that the ps4 portal wasn't wireless as my understanding was the earlier ps3 ones are wireless? i may have incorrect information there.

I'm going to try my skylanders giants portal for 360 on the ps4 and see what happens. will report back.

I will add im not too bummed out about buying the starter kits as they usually come with about $40 of figures and the games are worth a good $50-$60 value. Though online would be nice.

EDIT: The giants portal did not work, i'm sure thats what Dan Amrich was referring too then. Nm. I suppose with the swap force characters working a bit different he could very well be telling the truth.

RobbieNick

Found a Jolly Bumble Blast at Target yesterday. Waited 20 minutes in line only to find out it has a stupid street date of 12/8. Don't have it on the shelves then!

fernoca

The first game and Giants had the same portal. Giants even had a "Portal Owners Pack" because of that.

Only Swap-Force requires a new portal (which works with the previous games). All Swap-Force portal are cross platform. So if you own one from PS3, all you need is the standalone game if you want to continue playing in another console (eBay is the only option for that though; or knowing someone willing to sell only the game).

jacob armitage said:
Also i was a bit bummed out that the ps4 portal wasn't wireless as my understanding was the earlier ps3 ones are wireless? i may have incorrect information there.
Starting with Giants, all portals (aside 3DS) were wired. There were many complaints about batteries dying fast and people/kids losing the wireless dongles (which were tiny and weren't sold by separate; neither replaced by Activision in case of you losing them -unless you complained a lot-).

1391746_10102000761305164_122343380_n.jpg

Frito-Lay Fright Rider. :)

Need to get Jolly Bumble Blast when it comes out soon too. :)

GGGAAAHHHHDDDD damn the platforming

Wow really? Just dropped into the OT for the first time and spotted this and was intrigued. I played the last one through with my kid and the game was fun, but very much not a paltformer. I understand they added a jump button but I figured that would just replace the launch pads, rather than add some serious platforming. This makes me wonder two things

1) IS the platforming *that good* that a platformer fan would really enjoy the gameplay?

and

2) If there is a much increased focus on proper platforming, would you say that would thus be prohibitive for a 5 year old, where giants wasn't?

I've toyed with the thought of getting him this one, so opinions would be great.

1) IS the platforming *that good* that a platformer fan would really enjoy the gameplay?

and

2) If there is a much increased focus on proper platforming, would you say that would thus be prohibitive for a 5 year old, where giants wasn't?

I've toyed with the thought of getting him this one, so opinions would be great.

1. Platforming is well implemented, but it's only a light element of the game, it's not there to provide much of a challenge beyond what the bounce pads did previously. I wouldn't describe the game as a platformer, as it's way more action orientated.

2. It is more challenging for my 4yo to handle jumping instead of using bounce pads.

ReaperXL7

So Im curious for suggestions from Gaf. Im currently playing through Swap Force with my 4yr old daughter, and we are having allot of fun with it.

Im curious as to what some of your favorite Skylanders are though.

Personally far I like Pop Fizz, Thump Back, and Night Shift, I tend to like melee characters much more then ranged. My Daughter only wants to play as the girls (though to selection seems much small) she really likes flashwing but we got her Chill, Roller Brawl, Sprocket, and Ninjini for christmas.

Im curious as to others gaffers favorites both male and female.

fernoca

So Im curious for suggestions from Gaf. Im currently playing through Swap Force with my 4yr old daughter, and we are having allot of fun with it.

Personally far I like Pop Fizz, Thump Back, and Night Shift, I tend to like melee characters much more then ranged. My Daughter only wants to play as the girls (though to selection seems much small) she really likes flashwing but we got her Chill, Roller Brawl, Sprocket, and Ninjini for christmas.

Get her Star Strike and Smolderdash (both have Lightcore variants)! Those are two of my favorites, along Zoo Lou and Pop Thorn.

RobbieNick

Well, you already have stealth Elf if you got the set. For females, I'd also recommend Hex and Cynder.

Out of the new set, I really like Rip Tide, Rattle Shake and Free Ranger.

Dragoshi1

So repaint like this green Rip Tide, will be normal color in game?(can't check, game is for Christmas).

7h7NwSVl.jpg

Things like that are normal color in-game.

Basically, it needs to have a prefix, like "Legendary Spyro", "Dark Slobbertooth", "Jade Flashwing", or "Jolly Bumbleblast"

I picked this game up with my PS4, and am enjoying it more than I probably should.

I took advantage of the buy-two-get-one-free offer, and am now staring at ... seven total figures.

Am I better off leveling one to max, or switching around? All of them have two separate talent lines, does it matter which I take?

Orca

All Swap-Force portal are cross platform. So if you own one from PS3, all you need is the standalone game if you want to continue playing in another console (eBay is the only option for that though; or knowing someone willing to sell only the game).

Sorry to get back to you late, but this is what I was told when I asked about needing to buy the starter pack again or if there'd be a digital download of the game available.

Dan Amrich said:
You need the Xbox One portal, so there's no reason to offer it as a downloadable. Retail starter kit is your only way.

So...does the Xbox 360/PS3 portal work and I just need a copy of the game for Xbox One or PS4? Because that's directly opposite what I was told by someone that should know.

ReaperXL7

I picked this game up with my PS4, and am enjoying it more than I probably should.

I took advantage of the buy-two-get-one-free offer, and am now staring at ... seven total figures.

Am I better off leveling one to max, or switching around? All of them have two separate talent lines, does it matter which I take?

From what I can tell with most of the characters I have is that one tree is usually better for melee, and the other for ranged so its mostly personal preference.

Pop Fizz for instance has a split in his tree for upgrading his potion attacks(ranged) and the other side is for his berzerker mode(melee). So it comes down to your playstyle as to which will be better for you. I tend to prefer melee myself, but lots of people seem to like ranged characters more.

Eusis

So...does the Xbox 360/PS3 portal work and I just need a copy of the game for Xbox One or PS4? Because that's directly opposite what I was told by someone that should know.
Well, the 360 one won't work on PlayStation or Wii, so it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft locked the 360 one out of XB1, let alone others. I'd expect the worst myself when it comes to Xbox.

Possum

Just picked this game up for PS4 about a week ago, and it's fantastic! It's my first Skylanders game, and I'm really loving it. Great "palette cleanser"-type game. :)

I picked up the starter pack (obviously), along with the Target-exclusive Nitro Magna Charge + Rattle Shake bundle. I'm planning on getting Free Ranger and Shadow Trap pretty soon, too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Got the Wii version wrapped as a present for my my step son. I know it's the #1 thing he wants for Xmas. I'm interested to see how much better this actual game is now with the jump button.

taoofjord

I'm new to Skylanders and have been really enjoying Swap Force on PS4 with my wife. But I'm not sure if I understand how the progress and gameplay loop works.

What's the point of having so many Skylanders when there are limited story levels that don't have any randomization in them? Are you encouraged to play again on a harder difficulty or something? I want to collect all the Swap Force and cherry-pick my other favorites but right now( I have about 18ish) that seems like it might be enough.

mrsmr2

Is the Wii version patched and working correctly now?

I know a patch was released at some point but there is very little I can find about its success or lack of.

Hey guys, I just bought a WiiU and I've never played a Skylanders title before.
Is this so cool as the critics say? I really dunno what to expect from it. :O

Playing the WiiU version that game with the bundle. Don't care for any of the characters that came with it. Any characters that are more awesomer?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Can two players on ps4 not earn trophies? I can only get player 1 to get trophies.

I'm playing on XB1, and the second player can earn achievements and even record their own game clips too. But we actually seem to be counted separately, as in P2 could earn a "Kil X amount of enemies" achievement before Player 1. We both seem to get stage clear achievements at the same time, though. Note this has glitched on occasion, though.

This is different than, say, the Wii U Skylanders Giants, which would fail to even admit Player 2 could have their own separate profile. Everything was seen as being player 1's accomplishments, and P2 was just a faceless second controller.

I'm not sure which the PS4 skews towards, but perhaps you could try dropping player 1 out of the game (but not signing out on the system), and letting player 2 complete an arena battle or something, and see if their profile gets credit for it seperately?

How does the Xbox One version hold up? Any frame-rate issues?

I haven't noticed any. It feels pleasantly refined and glitch free. There's the occasional momentary jumps when you earn achievements and record game clips at stage end, but nothing out of the ordinary.

It's been the best Local Co-Op experience I've had on the system this side of KI. Even a bit better, since, as mentioned above, it lets P2 fully get recognition for what they're doing on their profile, which many games seem to overlook (KI.)

Top Bottom