• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Swap-Force |OT|

zebwinz

Just a question, this is a launch game for PS4 isn't it? I have it paid off on amazon but realised that now they are no longer taking orders for it saying its currently unavailable. Any reason why, when you can still pre order the XB One version?

Xbox One version is now showing unavailable on Amazon too. I'm thinking of picking it up Black Friday at GameStop for $50 if I can't hold out for a cheaper deal.

From the Toys R Us Big Wish Finder Book:

10585106863_97ca74690f_c.jpg

11/3: Legendary Zoo Lou
11/10: Legendary Night Shift
11/17: Dino-Rang?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm brand new to this game. After the starter set, what's the best expansion to get?

Deilpo

Neo Member
So just got the 3DS version and liking it so far, one thing I noticed is adding the adventure packs from Spyro's Adventure add bonus upgrades not levels.

satori

Hey guys, I am looking for gifts for my nephew who is age 8. He been asking his parents for sky-lander but they are in a finical bind right now. I gave him my extra ps3, so will be buying skylander for the ps3. A quick question. Should I just get him this swap force version starter pack? Or should I get him the other two versions as well? I am assuming they are backward compatible, and the game itself have different stories for each version correct? I am a complete noob when it comes to skylander.

Also will this be a good game for a 5 year old that kicks butt in LBP?

Thanks in advance.

Swap-force is obviously the hot one now, and a better game. You can get the stater pack from previous games (Spyro's Adventure and Giants) pretty cheap thought. I would buy him the Swap-force starter pack if I could. Each game has a different campaign/story.

All figures are compatible with the last game (minus the first game adventure packs, that only add new levels to Spyro's Adv and Giants). A figure from one game is compatible with the older game only if it is a reposed figured (meaning that the figure was released in the previous game but in a different pose). In the back of each figure pack it should state which games it is compatible.

So if you buy Swap-force your nephew can use any figure. Plus if you give him another starter set from a previous game he can use the figures that come with that game with Swap-force as well. The Giants game also have a cheaper "Portal Owner Pack" that comes with only one Giant figure but no portal, since the portal works across games (Giants and Spyro's adv have the same portal, Swap-force needs a new one but that one can be used for the 3 games).

Obviously you can add more figures to the gift, and the sky is limit. If you can add more, I would recommend you to get the swap characteres from Swap-force and/or a Giant (the game can be played only with the figures that come with the starter pack, but some areas are blocked to specific characters).

And yes, it would also make a great gift for a 5 years old child, my boy is this age and loves to play Skylanders with me.

I hope that helps. You can ask me more if needed.

satori

No you did great in addressing my questions and some. Thank you very much. I got him the skylander swap force and spyro starter pack, and the giants owner pack per your suggestions. Should be a special xmas for him this year.

Thanks again

But be prepared for your nephew to start asking/looking for more characters. All the games are set in a way to encourage the player to swap characters and every game level has areas that just a specific kind of character can enter. The figures are grouped in eight "elements", Giants add the Giant type (with also comes in eight elements) and swap-force introduce the "movement type" which is tied to the botton part of the swap characters (while the top part remains tied to the element).

So maybe instead of getting him the old games an alternative is to give him more characters to play in the last game. But it is up to you, I guess the kid will be very happy either way.

RobbieNick

Just out of curiosity, I tried my Wii U Swap Force Portal of Power on my PS3 copy of giants annnndd..it works! Very cool.

Zing

Banned
I've bought every "swap" figure and every new Skylander so far. They are stored away for Christmas. I am fairly certain that I will not be keeping the Skylanders, and just going for the full swap set. It's too much money for the third game, and we are already overwhelmed with choice with the other 70 figures we have. I figured it didn't hurt to buy everything now, since Walmart has a 90 day return policy. Just in case.

Blizzje

Coming PS4 launch, I may be persuaded to get one more game along with the four games I'm planning to get. This would be my first Skylanders game and I'm worried about the amount of figures you have to buy to be able to get through the game.

Is the starter set enough to get me through the game? Are some sidequests locked to specific figures?

Xpite

Neo Member
How often do you need to use the portal? Thinking about getting this for my niece and nephew but their console is in a separate room than the TV so wondering how annoying using the portal would be.

zebwinz

How often do you need to use the portal? Thinking about getting this for my niece and nephew but their console is in a separate room than the TV so wondering how annoying using the portal would be.

I wouldn't recommend it for that case unless your niece and nephew only want to play as the same character and skip over all the extra sections of levels that require different figures.

RobbieNick

Coming PS4 launch, I may be persuaded to get one more game along with the four games I'm planning to get. This would be my first Skylanders game and I'm worried about the amount of figures you have to buy to be able to get through the game.

Is the starter set enough to get me through the game? Are some sidequests locked to specific figures?

I think the minimal amount of Skylanders you would need are 8 of the Swap Force (You already get 2 in the package) and one Giant. You need one for each element and movement (the icon on the bottom of the figure). Just be careful which ones you buy. For instance, you don't really need Fire Kraken because he's a fire element which you already have with Blast Zone and his spring movement is covered by Rattle Shake who's also an Undead element.

fernoca

Gamestop's Adventure Club turned to be slightly better than I expected. 2 days after buying the 6th figure, I got a coupon on the PowerUp website for $9.99 off any one Skylander character. Plus, since the Adventure Club promo says "buy 6, get 7th figure free"; thought it was only for single packs.

But asked to try the $9.99 discount on the Tower of Time pack..and it worked. Got it for $15 which was really nice since it comes with Pop Thorn (a figure I wanted), the Tower of Time expansion (which is really cool) and two items (the diamond/figure looks really neat for display purposes :p).

Really like Pop Thorn's non-inflated form too. :p

I finally got the game this week, it was coming from US and took almost a month to arrive (that is fine, usually it takes even more due to customs). It was worth because the game will only be officially released here (Brazil) in the beginning of December.

However I am disappointed that the game has only English as the available language (menus, text and audio is only English) while the previous game (Giants) and the recent Disney Infinity both offers several languages, including Brazilian Portuguese. It is not a big deal for me, but to play with my little son (the main intention of this purchase) it is.

I got the 360 version.

I would like to ask if English is the only available language in the other regions releases or it is just a US thing? I do not believe that French and German aren't included either, since they are big markets (I tested my version with different language settings, no change, only English is available).

Could this be like Halo releases, where each region get a different disc with only one language available? In the case of Halo, the audio is different from country to country, but all releases can change the menu and in-game text (subtitles included) which is not the case with Swap Force.

If that is the case maybe the Brazilian official release will have Portuguese language, but that would not be any good for me since I already imported the game (based on my experience with the previous games, which I also imported).

Zing

Banned
After talking with my daughter, I have decided to not keep this game. I'll be returning everything this week. Fortunately, it's all from the same store. The Walmart customer service is going to see me walking in with literally two, large, full boxes of stuff to return. I think it's $350 worth.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
im confused about one thing, the giant sky landers do i need to get one from the giants game or does swap force have a separate batch ? i know u need a giant sky lander for the giant chests, so could someone help me out one what to get please

im confused about one thing, the giant sky landers do i need to get one from the giants game or does swap force have a separate batch ? i know u need a giant sky lander for the giant chests, so could someone help me out one what to get please

The giant skylander is from the Giants game, there is no new giant release on Swap Force.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
After talking with my daughter, I have decided to not keep this game. I'll be returning everything this week. Fortunately, it's all from the same store. The Walmart customer service is going to see me walking in with literally two, large, full boxes of stuff to return. I think it's $350 worth.

Then the holiday rush begins and, changing your mind, you spend every waking moment in front of a TRU, Target, Best Buy...

If only I had kept Scorp
If only I had kept Scorp
IF ONLY I HAD KEPT SCORP

Any reason why you're returning it? It's an incredible game, and you can get through just fine with the game alone.

ghostmind

So did anyone pick this up for PS4? Thoughts?

Yep. I had previously bought the 360 Dark Edition, so my comparison is against that. In all it seems crisper and more colorful, runs very smooth and has additional effects (ie. swaying grass and better water, reflections and colored lighting off some surfaces). Happy with it so far.

I hit the "Share" button and took a pic:

aaMddKO.jpg

Lan_97

I picked this up for PS4. I don't have the PS3/360 version, so I can't comment on the improvements from that. But graphically it's a huge leap from SA/Giants. There is a clear 1080p crispness and all the characters look really nice up close.

As a bonus, with remote play, the Vita takes over as P1, so someone else can grab the controller and hop in as P2.

RobbieNick

Is the Swap Force portal compatible with ALL systems? I noticed it works on both my WiiU and PS3, but I want to upgrade to the PS4 version and some people are selling the PS4 game disc only on E-Bay.

I'm intrigued every time I see this in stores. Can someone please explain this series to me? I've watched videos, read reviews, and still have no idea what it's about.

Why are there different types of characters? Do different types unlock new levels? Or are they used to defeat specific types of enemies.

How many levels are there?

What is the point of the game?

Eusis

Is the Swap Force portal compatible with ALL systems? I noticed it works on both my WiiU and PS3, but I want to upgrade to the PS4 version and some people are selling the PS4 game disc only on E-Bay.
As far as I understand Wii, Wii U, and PS3 are cross compatible (PC too, though only the first game got it and PC's portal doesn't work on those systems), 3DS's will work on the others but not vice versa which is understandable given there's a USB cord you can plug into that portal but it uses IR with the 3DS, and 360 is its own thing entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 shared it with Wii/Wii U/PS3 as well, while XB1's is either its own thing or cross compatible with 360, though with the way Microsoft's been I'd err on no cross compatibility.

The fact the PS4 disc is sold separately DOES imply that you can use the other non-Xbox portals with it, but I wouldn't take it as a guarantee.

The fact the PS4 disc is sold separately DOES imply that you can use the other non-Xbox portals with it, but I wouldn't take it as a guarantee.

Really? Where it is being sold game-only?

I want to know if the 360 and One uses the same portal, because I want to upgrade to the One version but do not want to spend another $75 in a starter pack.

Will the game be available digital in the One store?

I'm intrigued every time I see this in stores. Can someone please explain this series to me? I've watched videos, read reviews, and still have no idea what it's about.

Why are there different types of characters? Do different types unlock new levels? Or are they used to defeat specific types of enemies.

How many levels are there?

What is the point of the game?

It is quite a lot of things to explain in a single post...

Think about the game as a light Diablo clone for kids, with enphasis on caracter level and attributes (powers). There are dozens of characters available, but there are grouped into 8 "elements".

The game uses a "portal" to use a character in the game. You put a figure on it and the character apppears on the screen. You can use two figures for co-op. You can change figures anytime in the game.

The stats, level, money and powers of the characters are saved in the figures, so you can bring your character to a friend's house, no matter which version of the game you choose.

You can play the game from start to finish with only one character, but you won't be able to unlock all areas/treasures/powers in the game levels. For that you will need one character from each element (to access different areas in the levels), one Giant (introduced in the Giants game) and one from each type of movement (introduced in Swap Force game). The movement type is only for the swaper figures which also have elemental types, so to see all areas in Swap Force you only need 8 swapers (carefully choosen to include one of each 8 elements as well) and a Giant.

Any character can beat any enemy but of course you will create your own strategies and be more confortable against certain enemies using determinated characters.

The game puts a great emphasys in character swapping, not only to access all areas, but to continue the game. If you loose your energy, the character needs to rest. Either you change to a different figure or you will have to restart the level. The game constantly reminds you about the other figures and powers they can use.

I want to know if the 360 and One uses the same portal, because I want to upgrade to the One version but do not want to spend another $75 in a starter pack.

Will the game be available digital in the One store?

Answering my own question, the Xbox One webstore went live today, there is a page for Swap Force, but it says that the game is only available on disc. But only in a starter pack or game only?

Eusis

Yeah, sorry for not clarifying: the fact it's sold alone on eBay implies that just getting the game itself IS of value to those that wanted it on PS4 and had a compatible portal and the included figurines, but didn't want to rebuy the whole thing just to play a higher quality version. But they may also just be hoping for that, or just that someone will want that, nevermind what they do with the portal/figurines afterwards.

bodine1231

Got this for the PS4 on Amazon yesterday for $35! Now I just need to wait on a killer sale on some figures and I'll be all set.

Lijik

Got this for the PS4 on Amazon yesterday for $35! Now I just need to wait on a killer sale on some figures and I'll be all set.

Picked it up today at Walmart for the same price on the Wii U.
Need to look into if theres any black friday deal on the figures, the swappable ones are kinda pricey

RobbieNick

Upgraded to the PS4 version for $37. Gonna sell off my WiiU version soon. Some things I can tell you....

It's 1080P and highly detailed, but not 60 FPS like some have been telling me. XP It's a steady 30 FPS.

You can use a portal from a different version of the same game outside of 3DS. I'm using my Wii U portal and it works just fine.

Gonna start streaming soon. http://www.twitch.tv/shigsmadoo

DeVeAn

Wow seems dead here. Got the PS4 version for $37. Game looks really good graphically. Cool how old figures still work. So far even seems like better game overall.

Bond007

Any ideas when Amazon starts the B2G1 deal on characters?
Im also debating if i wanna return the one i got for the kids on 360(for xmas) and get a PS4 or XB1 version instead.

Maybe i should keep their greasy hands off my new consoles. lol

neonglow

I just recently purchased the Swap Force game for PS4 and need advice on getting some characters that are readily available. Are there any specific characters you recommend that are fun or interesting to play with?

Top Bottom