• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

I just finished the game. So happy I decided to purchase it. It was a blast to play, and the plot and characters were good. I hope we see more of Wei Shen in the future.

Damn that sucks I figured each DLC would have 125 GS .... Ill still get it but that's really odd considering its a big DLC. No sense in complaining what's done is done.

So did anyone play The Zodiac Tournament? I kinda liked it, it was short and kind of ridiculous but I take it that is what they were going for anyway. In hindsight the only thing I didn't like with the game was that the minigames were boring. Mahjong and cockfighting doesn't have the same appeal as say poker in RDR. The fightclubs were by far the best sideactivity.

Bladenic

So did anyone play The Zodiac Tournament? I kinda liked it, it was short and kind of ridiculous but I take it that is what they were going for anyway. In hindsight the only thing I didn't like with the game was that the minigames were boring. Mahjong and cockfighting doesn't have the same appeal as say poker in RDR. The fightclubs were by far the best sideactivity.

I did. Way too short but fun otherwise.

I did. Way too short but fun otherwise.

Yeah it could easily have been longer than is was. One thing I thought was pretty funny was how it was supposed to be this secret island when it was viewable from the main land. Also, wasn't there an island in that place before that they just expanded upon or am I confusing it with one of the other small islands surrounding the city?

mileS

I just finished the game. So happy I decided to purchase it. It was a blast to play, and the plot and characters were good. I hope we see more of Wei Shen in the future.

Yea I have to second this (although I haven't finished it yet) but for some reason the TV commercials made me think the game looked silly. Can't really describe it well, but it didn't do a good job selling me. Some of the early buzz about it seemed to be more focused around the fact that people were shocked it actually got released more than anything. Randomly decided to buy it on Steam one night because of all the good things said in this thread and wow... could not be happier. Def one of the best games I've played all year. Amazing amazing job and I can't wait to see what the team does next.

otapnam

would be fun if they had real mahjong

Ultima_5

God I'm so pissed. I'm doing the favor tangs newer toy and it keeps glitching at the end and doesn't allow me to call him. It's my last favor I need to do before I get the trophy which references my 2nd favorite Jackie chan movie :(

Ill check again tomorrow. If it doesn't work then, I'll delete the update stuff and try again.

Anyone else have this problem?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished this fucker! Towards the end, it was a bit of a slog and I just went straight for the story missions.

Can't complain about what I paid for it, but you guys getting it for less than 15 is a steal

edit: I'd still pay full price and play it again if there was a full canto version... :(

MRORANGE

The game will go on sale during the Steam Winter sale, but I really do want to see all the DLC on sale as I've not picked it up yet and wanted to get through it before I go back to uni.

Zodiac Tournament was short and sweet. didn't like the poisoned part (got a bit nauseated).

The fights in this dlc really does show the potential of sequels!

I really do wish you could counter moves when stunned. The final fight against the drunken master was almost infuriating.

I do love how each dlc makes Wei more and more badass as a character.

I just finished the story missions tonight.
It definitely took a dark turn there in the end. It was impactful but may the loose ends were tied up a little too neatly.
Great game, easily in my top 3 games this year.

pa22word

Just got back into this one (and loving it *_*), and I need to know: are there any quest killing routes to take in the game that might ruin a "100%" run? After
finding out Tiffany was cheating on me I, erm may have accidently, um, thrown her into oncoming traffic >.> <.< >.>

Afterwards I got a
straight to voicemail call from not-peng which I think Wei flat out ignored

Getting Kenji flashbacks from GTA III here guys; think I may have killed the quest-line >.>

Just got back into this one (and loving it *_*), and I need to know: are there any quest killing routes to take in the game that might ruin a "100%" run? After
finding out Tiffany was cheating on me I, erm may have accidently, um, thrown her into oncoming traffic >.> <.< >.>

Afterwards I got a
straight to voicemail call from not-peng which I think Wei flat out ignored

Getting Kenji flashbacks from GTA III here guys; think I may have killed the quest-line >.>

Nah that is the last you see/hear from them.

Akai__

I would really like to play the DLC, but it's not available on the Xbox Live marketplace here in Germany, because the game is on the "Index".
When the game came out, I had to buy a PEGI version, because it just disappeared from every shop.
I will probably use a VPN connection to pretend, that I'm from the USA and then download it from the US marketplace...
God knows, when the cut verion of the game, will be released here. -.-

netBuff

I would really like to play the DLC, but it's not available on the Xbox Live marketplace here in Germany, because the game is on the "Index".
When the game came out, I had to buy a PEGI version, because it just disappeared from every shop.
I will probably use a VPN connection to pretend, that I'm from the USA and then download it from the US marketplace...
God knows, when the cut verion of the game, will be released here. -.-

Sleeping Dogs isn't indexed in any way. All games that weren't reviewed by the USK (i.e. versions released outside of Germany) are automatically rated USK 18.

No need for such complications. US DLC most likely won't work on your PEGI copy. Just create an account located in another European region (Austria or UK would both be excellent choices) and buy your DLC there - no VPN required. You can get MS Points for cheap on eBay or at your local store.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wow, I already finished the game, I played it almost nonstop.

It was quite fun but it's lacking in variety and content. I really hope a sequel can address that.

I wanted many more intense melee fights, there were seemingly only the random thug fights (it's a neat touch that if you're using guns the additional enemies arriving also bring guns, while if you fight them in melee they don't) where they guard cameras or loot, and the fight club things, nothing too involving, especially when the main story missions focus more on the guns after a point and a couple melee bosses which were annoying with the added QTE.

I wish melee had some proper non QTE evasion moves instead of the counter which makes it a cakewalk Assassin's Creed style (especially with that red flashing, do higher difficulties disable that at least), but it was still quite satisfying despite that.

Other than that, some missions and cut scenes felt completely unfinished with too abrupt endings and changes too.

Also, the game's engine is lovely since it looks and runs great even on my PC, unlike GTAIV. Kind of like Just Cause 2 but better since Just Cause 2 too run worse in the busier urban areas if I remember correctly.

Anyway, is there anything meaningful left to do after finishing the main story and doing enough side quests to max your cop and triad levels, and go up to level 9 face, or am I more or less done with this? All I could find after wandering a little were leftover racing missions, the occasional crappy yellow missions popping up, the money trucks and leftover cameras. From the phone calls I only have the protection money missions, the scientist's vehicle missions and the car thefts.

Edit: oh yeah, progression isn't balanced either, they should have a more natural and with more impact flow of you growing richer and more powerful. The bonuses I got (uber cars and shit unlocked from the start) for whatever reason broke it further but it was still pretty bad I'm sure, it didn't seem hard at all to buy expensive clothes, cars, etc, from the get go. So pretty much all the progresson I saw was unlocking the melee moves at the dojo and via the Triad and Cop levels.

Akai__

Sleeping Dogs isn't indexed in any way. All games that weren't reviewed by the USK (i.e. versions released outside of Germany) are automatically rated USK 18.

No need for such complications. US DLC most likely won't work on your PEGI copy. Just create an account located in another European region (Austria or UK would both be excellent choices) and buy your DLC there - no VPN required. You can get MS Points for cheap on eBay or at your local store.

It is on the Index, here in germany. To be more specific, it is on list B, which means, it won't be sold to the public, until there is a cut version of the game.

And the method, you are describing, doesn't work. If you sign into an US, UK, Austrian etc. account it won't show the content, because it's still the german IP. Trust me, if this would work, I wouldn't have to download the 1st Gears of War game, years ago.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is decent so far. I've always enjoyed the genre, but I am feeling some open world game fatigue, and Sleeping Dogs feels kind of by the numbers in some ways. The setting is definitely a plus, though, at least it's not another variation of New York. Hopefully it grabs me a bit more as I go on but overall it seems like a good purchase either way.

On a different note, I'm pretty much the worst cop ever. My bad guys to civilians killed ratio is about 1:50.

netBuff

It is on the Index, here in germany. To be more specific, it is on list B, which means, it won't be sold to the public, until there is a cut version of the game.

And the method, you are describing, doesn't work. If you sign into an US, UK, Austrian etc. account it won't show the content, because it's still the german IP. Trust me, if this would work, I wouldn't have to download the 1st Gears of War game, years ago.

Just saw this, must have missed that news (Sleeping Dogs on index).

Are you sure you can't buy DLC content using a foreign account via http://marketplace.xbox.com changing the location selector at the bottom?

I'm sorry for suggesting something that doesn't work for you, I always bought DLC on accounts all around the world this way - but I don't have to deal with any youth protection laws that prevent content from showing up.

Akai__

Just saw this, must have missed that news (Sleeping Dogs on index).

Are you sure you can't buy DLC content using a foreign account via http://marketplace.xbox.com changing the location selector at the bottom?

I'm sorry for suggesting something that doesn't work for you, I always bought DLC on accounts all around the world this way - but I don't have to deal with any youth protection laws that prevent content from showing up.

Don't worry, you just wanted to help me and I appreciate help. :)

However, sadly, this isn't working either. Tested it with a free add-on and the download isn't even starting. Gives me an error code.

Gravijah

why isn't random NPC flavor dialogue subtitled when it's in Cantonese? what the heck? one of the most important parts of an open world game like this (for me) is knowing what random characters are saying.

why isn't random NPC flavor dialogue subtitled when it's in Cantonese? what the heck? one of the most important parts of an open world game like this (for me) is knowing what random characters are saying.
Try and write out the pronunciation of what was said XD; I'll translate for you lol. But they tend to be mainly just random chatter like calling other people on phones; and when you run into some of them they'll say thing like are you trying to molest them (something to that extent).

I just picked it up.

My first impression was extremely positive. I LOVE the atmosphere. I only wish the ratio of English to Cantonese was more like 10:90, I wish the English accents were more typical of Hong Kong, and I wish the Chinese characters correctly pronounced Chinese names when they were speaking in English. Even before 1997, English was nowhere near as prevalant as the game makes it out to be. But this is just a minor annoyance... the language, music, and art all capture the essence of the city. Wandering through the first area of the game brought back a lot of vivid memories... a lot of smells (some good, some bad... all unique).

e: also, I really wish there was an option to change the subtitles to Chinese or change the spoken language to all Chinese.

My biggest annoyance, though, is one I have with other open world games: the lack of choice. If you go to a side mission, Wei will gladly accept it, no matter how ridiculous it might be. I am also a bit disappointed by the cop/triad points. I was hoping you could choose to play as a villain or as a hero and see the story and world unfold in different ways depending on your choices, but it seems those systems only serve as ways for leveling up your character.

What this amounts to is an experience that isn't particularly compelling for me... the high point was probably wandering around the open market or driving through the rainy city, listening to what sounded like Teresa Teng sing mornfully.

Edgeward

Stutter is gone! Wow! I kinda wish I didn't already beat the game so I could've played it without the stutter. Still great though. Maybe I'll pick up the zodiac DLC if the steam sale doesn't pick up and stops sucking.

Dries

Stutter is gone! Wow! I kinda wish I didn't already beat the game so I could've played it without the stutter. Still great though. Maybe I'll pick up the zodiac DLC if the steam sale doesn't pick up and stops sucking.

I have a feeling my stuttering is back? Anyone else's too?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Found a boring efficient ways to take guys out.

Leg Break then go up to them and hit the grapple button twice.

The leg break not only stuns the opponent but more importantly turns them around which leads to the stealth kill.

Obviously only works on dudes you can grapple in the first place, so guys with weapons or those fat guys this won't work on.

I do something similar but instead of breaking their leg I do the roll-over move and then the stealth attack. It is a boring way to fight but it's great for thinning out the herd.

Scapegoat

I thought Nightmare at North Point was pretty average seeing as it was just driving to different spots in the same map and doing a bunch of fights.

The Tournament was better in comparison, enjoyed the style. A whole lot more fighting though, and no vehicle action at all.

Overall disappointed in both the DLC as I really don't think the combat is that great (not that it's bad), and I think the game is best when it mixes up between the melee combat, shooting, and driving.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Aw man, for whatever reason the "Whatever's Handy" trophy won't unlock. I know I've used at least 10 weapons before, I even went out of my way to use the wok, grocery bag, and brief case on civilians.

Aw man, for whatever reason the "Whatever's Handy" trophy won't unlock. I know I've used at least 10 weapons before, I even went out of my way to use the wok, grocery bag, and brief case on civilians.

Not with this achievement but i have another that won't unlock period ("solve a case") but yet the achievement that depends on the same requirement unlocked ("solve all cases") LOL.

Plus after checking it out i realized how the 30/35 bullshit came about. Apparently when the game was patched to 1.7 something fucked up the save file at that point, way to go United Front guys way to go :(

Ken

Is there a way to get the music that's featured in the Zodiac Tournament trailer?

I'd also love recommendations for music that sounds similar to it. Not really knowledgeable on the old Chinese action movies that Zodiac Tournament is based on though so I'm pretty clueless on where to look.

Noticed that most costume dlc is on sale so I bought drunken master and screen legends. Wish they explained shit in the descriptions, the ip man costume has this awesome unblock able rapid punch move replacement for the 4 light 1 heavy move.

The other one has an unbreakable sword, but doesn't have the slick animations of the sword from nightmare dlc.

Really enjoy the drunken master animations though.

Top Bottom