• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

west

Kagari said:
Seems far fetched to me.

I recon there won't be a long time between the announcement and the launch. Fats would just sit on the shelf. It actually makes sense that it would go on sale almost immediately. It does not look like they want two parallel products like with the psp.

Egmont

Neo Member
Kagari said:
Seems far fetched to me.

Yeah, I think if it wasn't just a weird typo, we'd be hearing a lot more about it in other articles---especially since it cites "multiple rumors" even though that's really the only article I've seen that mentions it.

Sure would be nice to hear something about the NA release date one way or the other, though. I do think it's possible that it'll launch before the Europe date, but I'm not really sure that that article I quoted has the inside scoop.

BenjaminG

Banned
west said:
I recon there won't be a long time between the announcement and the launch.

They kind of need to be, to capitalise on the holiday season. I'd expect them no later than early September. Since PSP Go launches 1st October, I would expect this before, rather than after the Go.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I think its pretty safe to say Sept 1/2 is the most likely release day with the announcement coming in for the trade show... Giving them enough time to get the units in store without ruining the surprise and selling leftover PS3s with new price drop.

I cant wait... even though I am not getting one :(

onken

PistolGrip said:
I think its pretty safe to say Sept 1/2 is the most likely release day with the announcement coming in for the trade show... Giving them enough time to get the units in store without ruining the surprise and selling leftover PS3s with new price drop.

I agree.

Carl

Cruzader said:
No signs of the MAG beta point to a 2010 release. They already promised a beta before the release and at this point, it wont come out this fall since no beta is being hinted at soon.(prolly around nov-dec so game releases early '10)

Umm sorry but the beta is going on now. Head of my clan is in it, and he definitely doesn't work for Sony

PistolGrip said:

I cant wait... even though I am not getting one :(

Too late. :/

DMeisterJ

Banned
Carl said:
Umm sorry but the beta is going on now. Head of my clan is in it, and he definitely doesn't work for Sony

Of course it's in beta right now, but it's probably extremely closed... I imagine that a more open beta will be around the corner, but generally, the more open beta is going on right now for a soon release. You've gotta think with 256 players, a more open beta is going to be an absolute must.

Carl

DMeisterJ said:
Of course it's in beta right now, but it's probably extremely closed... I imagine that a more open beta will be around the corner, but generally, the more open beta is going on right now for a soon release. You've gotta think with 256 players, a more open beta is going to be an absolute must.

Point was, the guy said there wa no beta yet, and there is.

Last yeaar at this time, Resistance 2 was still in closed beta (Girl with a Stick), and that came out in November. So they've still got time to do an open beta and do a proper stress test.

Anyway, kinda off topic!

shinshero

D4Danger said:
Just pointing out I never said online play.

My point was there's a lot of money being left on the table. If Microsoft proved anything it's that people are willing to pay for an online service and as much as that pisses some people off it's just a fact. There's millions people paying Microsoft a sizeable chuck of money each year to use their products/services.

I doubt Sony could go back and charge for whatever you get now but that doesn't stop them charging for something in the future. Access to priority servers, exclusive game add-ons, stuff like that.

I for one would be happy if Sony left that money on the table and continued giving me free stuff.

Free stuff is good. <3

tanod

when is my burrito
Prediction:

Price drop all SKUs (the 80GB with two games and the 160GB with one game) next Monday to $299.

Slim announced at Gamescon. Preorders start.

Releases September 2nd.

reKon

Banned
I won't be able to do this as I won't be a member yet, but whoever makes the Official PS3 Slim Thread with all the photos/info and other goodies, the title of that thread should definitely be "Introducing the PS3 Slim! (The worst kept secret since the PSP Go!)"

CHRP718 said:
a_med_IMG_2030.jpg

:lol such a badass pic of him.

Grooski

Banned
CrayzeeCarl said:
Hey, I think Sony deserves some props, guys. At least they didn't leak it in Qore this month, like they did with the Go. :-/

I think that if anyone deserves props its GAF.

If Sony announce a slim at Gamescom and it looks pretty similar to cakefoo's mockup, then this thread beats any other sites rumor investigation. I'm only a junior but I'm impressed that with a couple of grainy shots showing pieces of what look like a PS3, we're where we are now.

Golf claps for all I say.

Grooski said:

If Sony announce a slim at Gamescom and it looks pretty similar to cakefoo's mockup, then this thread beats any other sites rumor investigation. I'm only a junior but I'm impressed that with a couple of grainy shots showing pieces of what look like a PS3, we're where we are now.

Pretty much. The thread has been out in front of all rumors and news on this topic. Every time I've seen the "news" on tech or gaming sites, it's been stuff I already know. :D

RadarScope1 said:
Pretty much. The thread has been out in front of all rumors and news on this topic. Every time I've seen the "news" on tech or gaming sites, it's been stuff I already know. :D

I think it's funny to look @ page 1....

FAKE

FAKE

FAKE

FAKE

RadarScope1 said:

That's because all the "news" sites reports information from this thread :lol

:hugs GAF:

Cruzader

Banned
Carl said:
Point was, the guy said there wa no beta yet, and there is.

Last yeaar at this time, Resistance 2 was still in closed beta (Girl with a Stick), and that came out in November. So they've still got time to do an open beta and do a proper stress test.

Anyway, kinda off topic!
Ok so their is an internal beta. What I meant is that the open/public beta aint here yet and if there is a game that needs tons of "stress testing of servers", its MAG. And rumors of Fall seem not that likely due to that public beta not happening yet.

reKon

Banned
people are going to choke and die with the amount of crow they've ate. It's really sad that still some people are having any kind of doubts (not particularly on GAF) on other gaming forums :lol . They still say shit like, "until Sony announces, I'm not going gobble up any rumors" or "I know a PS3 Slim will eventually come, but probably not this year, Sony still loses money on every PS3 they sell." With the consistent big rumors that have never contradicted, leaked pics, confirmation from two credible moles (one of them has been nearly perfect in his predictions) and current worldwide supply/demand of PS3's, you'd think that these people would just see the obvious.

reKon said:
people are going to choke and die with the amount of crow they've ate. It's really sad that still some people are having any kind of doubts (not particularly on GAF) on other gaming forums :lol . They still say shit like, "until Sony announces, I'm not going gobble up any rumors" or "I know a PS3 Slim will eventually come, but probably not this year, Sony still loses money on every PS3 they sell." With the consistent big rumors that have never contradicted, leaked pics, confirmation from two credible moles (one of them has been nearly perfect in his predictions) and current worldwide supply/demand of PS3's, you'd think that these people would just see the obvious.

The best one is 'it's still too early'

NeoUltima

Well the hardest evidence imo is that Sony has never said its all lies. They just gave the usual "we do not comment on rumors or speculation". This is a rumor that could effect sales, if it was all bs Sony would have made it clear.

Shambles

BlazingDarkness said:
The best one is 'it's still too early'

I like the "they are losing money on every console" one the best. I must be the only one who doesn't have access to Sony's CFO's personal documents. Even the research firms are only guessing at best and any quotes from Sony management about profitability are now far out of date.

Truespeed

Grooski said:

You make it sound like that 'mockup' was pulled out of thin air. That Chinese website, that published those pictures, had a couple of images that clearly displayed the dimensions and overall shape of the slim.

Drame

I have been thinking of getting the Slim, and moving my old 60GB to the bedroom.
If the Slim turns out to be true, of course.

But I have been wondering few things:

First of all, I would have 2 PS3's, so can both of the consoles have my main account activated?

Trophies are stored on some server or something, so they would show up on the Slim too, right?

Game saves, are my game saves locked to one console, or can I move them to the Slims hard drive too?

PSN downloads, I'm pretty sure about this, but just making sure.
I can re-download the PSN games I bought to the Slim, right?

Shambles said:
I like the "they are losing money on every console" one the best. I must be the only one who doesn't have access to Sony's CFO's personal documents. Even the research firms are only guessing at best and any quotes from Sony management about profitability are now far out of date.
It's not really hard to guess at based on their financial results... and of course the fact that they only recently announced that they were still losing 10% on every PS3.

The only wrong figures are the ones that talk about specifically how much the PS3 costs to make (or costed).

Kinan

Drame said:
I have been thinking of getting the Slim, and moving my old 60GB to the bedroom.
If the Slim turns out to be true, of course.

But I have been wondering few things:

First of all, I would have 2 PS3's, so can both of the consoles have my main account activated?

Trophies are stored on some server or something, so they would show up on the Slim too, right?

Game saves, are my game saves locked to one console, or can I move them to the Slims hard drive too?

PSN downloads, I'm pretty sure about this, but just making sure.
I can re-download the PSN games I bought to the Slim, right?

Not sure if you can login simultaneously with the same account on both systems, but you can for sure use your main account on different systems no problem.

Trophies are safe, no problem there.

You can copy most of your saves, but some games have saves locked to a system. Look up in the net about those.

You can redownload everything you bought on PSN to up to 5 machines. So unless you gameshared like crazy, you should be save with this one.

Drame

Kinan said:
Not sure if you can login simultaneously with the same account on both systems, but you can for sure use your main account on different systems no problem.

Trophies are safe, no problem there.

You can copy most of your saves, but some games have saves locked to a system. Look up in the net about those.

You can redownload everything you bought on PSN to up to 5 machines. So unless you gameshared like crazy, you should be save with this one.

Thanks!

I haven't gameshared at all, so I still have all of my activations left.

Also, thanks especially about the game saves, I'll try to look up which ones are locked and which ones are not.

mr_nothin

Banned
NeoUltima said:
Well the hardest evidence imo is that Sony has never said its all lies. They just gave the usual "we do not comment on rumors or speculation". This is a rumor that could effect sales, if it was all bs Sony would have made it clear.
That would be the weakest for me. Even if they came out and said it was false info, then it wouldnt make any difference because they would lie until they announced it. Just like how they said motion controls were last gen...then they release the dual shock 3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the saves thing is messed up. One area where the simpler memory card days were actually better. Take your memory card to whichever machine you're playing on and you're good to go.

If you actually have two PS3s that you play the same games on (but at different times) its a real PITA to move saves between them, and sometimes as mentioned the game won't even let you!

xtop

reKon said:

it is quite amazing how people can't see whats right in front of them. it becomes kind of angering to even talk to these people sometimes.

mrklaw said:
the saves thing is messed up. One area where the simpler memory card days were actually better. Take your memory card to whichever machine you're playing on and you're good to go.

If you actually have two PS3s that you play the same games on (but at different times) its a real PITA to move saves between them, and sometimes as mentioned the game won't even let you!
Hopefully, this rumored PlayStation Cloud thing involves storing saved games on PSN servers, so they're just linked to your PSN ID and you can use them on any system.

MrPliskin

Banned
mr_nothin said:
That would be the weakest for me. Even if they came out and said it was false info, then it wouldnt make any difference because they would lie until they announced it. Just like how they said motion controls were last gen...then they release the dual shock 3.

You mean like how they said rumble was last generation [because of legal restrictions] and they released the Dual Shock 3 [post legal issues]?

Loudninja

I find this comment interesting

SamBishop said:
I do wish people would see the above paragraph. I'm not quite getting the idea that people assume excess inventory wouldn't eventually clear out. Launching at the start of September gives Sony two full quarters of sales to offset any burned cost in getting the system to the very price point that people have been begging them to sell, and roping in more consumers to buy some of the bigger hitters in those next two quarters will do precisely what pushing hardware at lower prices is supposed to do when consoles launched in the past: offset losses early on and give gains of some sort when reporting financials. Oh, and sell games -- something the PS3 hasn't done too well compared to other platform holders.

Less than two weeks, folks.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17017917&postcount=172

mr_nothin said:

So you're saying a business should just tell everyone their 1-3-5-10 year strategic plans?

CrayzeeCarl said:
Hopefully, this rumored PlayStation Cloud thing involves storing saved games on PSN servers, so they're just linked to your PSN ID and you can use them on any system.

Yeah that would be awesome if it was one of the features. Its probably more of a social networking system though thats available on PS3, PC and other Sony products like Bravias (in the future). Kaz has indicated that PSN will be getting an overhaul in the spring, so thats when I'd expect that.

onken

Psychotext said:
It's not really hard to guess at based on their financial results... and of course the fact that they only recently announced that they were still losing 10% on every PS3.

The only wrong figures are the ones that talk about specifically how much the PS3 costs to make (or costed).

Uh no, they just announced they've cut manufacturing costs by "around 70%", so unless the PS3 originally cost over $900, they're now making them for under $300

onken said:
Uh no, they just announced they've cut manufacturing costs by "around 70%", so unless the PS3 originally cost over $900, they're now making them for under $300
Just announced (as in around a week ago)... that would be way after the comments that they were still losing money on the PS3. Those comments were accurate then, they're not now (Read the post I was replying to).

androvsky

Psychotext said:
Just announced (as in around a week ago)... that would be way after the comments that they were still losing money on the PS3. Those comments were accurate then, they're not now (Read the post I was replying to).

Um, if Sony had told stockholders that the PS3 cost $279 to make when the only known model was retailing for $399, that would've been very misleading. Besides, the last comment before the one a week ago about how much they cost to build was in reference to how much Sony is losing on the models that are currently in retail anyway.

onken

CrayzeeCarl said:

I probably have 10 saves for Oblivion each clocking in around 5MB. That means they'd need 50MB of online space for ONE game for EVERY person, not going to happen.

Psychotext said:

If it was way before this new announcement then it's not "just recently" then, is it?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I know 2 people who want to buy a PS3 right now. One is from Germany and one is from the States. Both have said that the current price is way too high and that they need to see 2 things happen before they buy a PS3:

1) a significant price drop and
2) a more structured online system that either gets closer to Live or perhaps similar to Steam.

I don't know about the latter, but I am pretty sure this price cut will make things a lot more tempting for them. I just hope that Sony has realized that price, more than anything, has been deterring people from investing in a PS3, and they don't cock up the Slim's launch with a $399.99 price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom