• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
DeadGzuz said:
No way, My 360 Elite looks like it was primed but never painted. It looks like an unfinished toy.

Since the first unveiling, I've always thought it looked like the jelly nougat candies I hated as a kid...

3307clt.jpg

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
zoku88 said:
There's something called an edit button dude >.>

Figured each post would've been separated by at least 10 more posts with the same Slim image. ;)

Gotta get that auto-merge-recent-posts vBulletin hack on this site... Maybe when they upgrade past 3.6... ;)

cakefoo

Coin Return said:
Yeah, adding a feature that was originally there to begin with would be a huge megaton...
Well, it was a reverse megaton when it was taken out, and when it came back briefly in the MGS4 bundle in the US, stores couldn't restock fast enough and ebayers were bidding well above retail prices.

Also, absence makes the heart grow fonder. :D

Tiduz said:
PS3 Live?

Paid membership?

if so, rofl. i dont have a cc! no moar online play for me? ;p

I understand the slim itself isn't a very big secret anymore, but how much of this paid service BS is just conjecture and theory?

Truespeed said:
Microsoft has a habit of undermining Sony (re)launches. I expect a little bombshell from Microsoft. They have something planned. It would be uncharacteristic of Microsoft not to launch a preemptive attack.

According to Ars, MS will have the same $199 Arcade, phase out the Pro, and drop the Elite to $299 around the same time the slim hits. Given their track record, I'm taking that as 100% confirmation.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Mikey Jr. said:
"Now you can enjoy more value-added services such as online gaming, PlayStation®Home and exclusive membership offers."

I do NOT like the sound of that.

Then again, who the fuck would pay for Home?

Sony should add a subscription service for something.

People will piss and moan about it but look at Microsoft, they easily clear half a billion a year just on Live subscriptions so who cares.

D4Danger said:

People will piss and moan about it but look at Microsoft, they easily clear half a billion a year just on Live subscriptions.

I hate this attitude where people care more about the priorities of some multi-billion dollar corporation over their own.

No, Sony absolutely should NOT follow MS's example and charge for PSN gaming. The free, easy to use online system of the ps3 is probably the only thing makes the system worth it over a ps2.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
H_Prestige said:
I hate this attitude where people care more about the priorities of some multi-billion dollar corporation over their own.

use that money to improve the service, money hat etc.

A means to an end.

xtop

D4Danger said:

People will piss and moan about it but look at Microsoft, they easily clear half a billion a year just on Live subscriptions so who cares.

i'd be interested in seeing them do a music store with a zune pass sort of thing. or a netflix type rental service for their movie store

Wollan

I seriously doubt they will charge for online gaming.
If it happens it will be for extra services (Beta's, demo's on week 1, cloud save game system, custom avatars, exclusive Home space..etc).

D4Danger said:
use that money to improve the service.

a means to an end.

They're already getting money from software, licensing, and accessories. Soon enough they'll get it from hardware too. They don't need any charity.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Wollan said:
I seriously doubt they will charge for online gaming.
If it happens it will be for extra services (Beta's, demo's on week 1, cloud save game system, custom avatars, exclusive Home space..etc).

Just pointing out I never said online play.

H_Prestige said:
They're already getting money from software, licensing, and accessories. Soon enough they'll get it from hardware too. They don't need any charity.

My point was there's a lot of money being left on the table. If Microsoft proved anything it's that people are willing to pay for an online service and as much as that pisses some people off it's just a fact. There's millions people paying Microsoft a sizeable chuck of money each year to use their products/services.

I doubt Sony could go back and charge for whatever you get now but that doesn't stop them charging for something in the future. Access to priority servers, exclusive game add-ons, stuff like that.

D4Danger said:
Just pointing out I never said online play.

My point was there's a lot of money being left on the table. If Microsoft proved anything it's that people are willing to pay for an online service and as much as that pisses some people off it's just a fact. There's millions people paying Microsoft a sizeable chuck of money each year to use their products/services.

I doubt Sony could go back and charge for whatever you get now but that doesn't stop them charging for something in the future. Access to priority servers, exclusive game add-ons, stuff like that.

Yeah, that's the problem. If consumers could actually adopt the idea that these companies work for them, and not the other way around, guys like MS wouldn't be able to get away with the crap they do.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So you want them to rape on accessory prices like Microsoft does? No thanks.

They should make Home decent, and more people will buy more crap for their avatars. It wouldn't be as big a revenue stream as Gold, but would bring in more money.

tirminyl

D4Danger said:
If Microsoft proved anything it's that people are willing to pay for an online service and as much as that pisses some people off it's just a fact. There's millions people paying Microsoft a sizeable chuck of money each year to use their products/services.

The reason people are paying Microsoft is so that they can play online. I doubt they would have anything else to offer subscribers if online multiplayer was free.

Sony would have to tie up a pretty impressive package for a subscription service. I do not think they will start charging for online play as that can remain a tip in the hat for them from an advertising perspective.

KtSlime

I already barely play my games online, if they require me to pay a few bucks a month to do it I would NEVER play online. It's a nice feature to have, but I only play online once or twice every two months as it is.

RTYE said:
$150/€150 pricecut instead of just 100 and a $50/year service ala XBL gold. :eek:
That would just be a complete F U to any existing customers which is never a good business decision whichever way you look at it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
H_Prestige said:
Yeah, that's the problem. If consumers could actually adopt the idea that these companies work for them, and not the other way around, guys like MS wouldn't be able to get away with the crap they do.

what do I care, I play most of my games on the PC.

I don't care either way what Sony (or Microsoft) do or don't do to earn money. I can tell you that they won't stick around if there's no money to be made.

inner-G

Banned
The 'premium subscriptions' bit sounds like it could be referring to Qore or MMO's, not an online service.

I hope they don't charge, as there's no way in hell I'm going to pay for online gaming, regardless of how good the service is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I could see some of the free MMOs coming up like Agency and Free Realms getting free stuff if you are certain "reward" levels...

Egmont

Neo Member
New recap article from ars technica here.

No new info, but a nice summary and analysis..

Also, that link to the PSN story isn't working for me, either.

Forums will go crazy if Sony starts charging for online gaming now. Will be interesting to see how long Sony can offer free online with dedicated servers. For Sony, it is added cost of game development budget.

I am surprised they don't have any ads in that thing, Live is a paid subscription but Gold members still get ads. Why doesn't Sony jump on this thing? Do they need to reinvent the XMB or what?

jsnepo

Rapping Granny said:
I am surprised they don't have any ads in that thing, Live is a paid subscription but Gold members still get ads. Why doesn't Sony jump on this thing? Do they need to reinvent the XMB or what?

Don't give them anymore ideas. It already happened with WipEout HD.

Rapping Granny said:

wut? psn is free and there's no ads. :lol

-x.Red.x-

I wish that "exclusive membership offer" has to do with Qore because i brought the year subscription and would hate to have two yearly things.... :C

caliblue15 said:
So the document has been upgraded more...

calendrier-fin-anne-jeux_09030001F600019491.png

Why is Jack and Daxter spelled wrong?

Google Translate says

"Pré résa PS3 Offre rentrée A partir du 18/08"

means

"Pre booking PS3 Offer From beginning 18/08" (pre-order on Aug. 18)

That pretty much has to be a slim. Why would you pre-order just for a new SKU???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom