• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Boss!

gcubed said:
considering the box says 120GB on it, it'd be hard to believe the other poster

Yeah, forgot about the box:lol

Still, anybody who has owned a PS3 for a few months would know how small 16GB is on that system.

LiK

chubigans said:
Using that pic as reference:

thinps3.jpg

Hmm, not quite as small as I thought it'd be.

yea, but it's sooo much thinner. a big space saver in the vertical position

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
chubigans said:

thinps3.jpg

If you're transposing that on top of the other pic as is, I don't think that's particularly accurate.

The DS3 is slightly smaller in the photo than on the 'slim' box.

Using the DS3 and independently using the width of the disc drive (12cm), it ends up more like this:

4h7h4o.jpg

I'm fairly confident about those dimensions since they work out the same, like I say, if using DS3 dimensions or the drive's dimensions.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gofreak said:
If you're transposing that on top of the other pic as is, I don't think that's particularly accurate.
Im not; I altered the dimensions of the DS3 controller to be perfect with the current PS3 pic, so the box shot is scaled down a bit. Then I just rotated it to match.

Still, it is just from a box screenshot, but that's all we have at the moment...

What's interesting is that once I matched the scale of the controller, the PS3 slim matched near perfect with the PS3 width.

NolbertoS

hmm..interesting..although..I would love BC on the PS3 Slim, but doubt it. Time to start hunting for a 60/80GB BC somewhere on ebay.

LiK

NolbertoS said:
hmm..interesting..although..I would love BC on the PS3 Slim, but doubt it. Time to start hunting for a 60/80GB BC somewhere on ebay.

you can stack the PS2 Slim on top now :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
^Yeah, if this thing even had limited BC ala 360 I would be ok.
There are really only a handful of PS2 games I want to check out (DQ8, GoW2, SotC, etc..)

lupinko

ajvizzgamer101 said:
Its real but I don't think its Sony's I think its a one of the fake china only flash game players. :lol

If it did come from one of Maintek's factories, it's real because Maintek is one of SCE's fabs (also Apple's as well, as Apple uses Maintek to produce Ipods, etc).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
chubigans said:
Im not; I altered the dimensions of the DS3 controller to be perfect with the current PS3 pic, so the box shot is scaled down a bit. Then I just rotated it to match.

Still, it is just from a box screenshot, but that's all we have at the moment...

What's interesting is that once I matched the scale of the controller, the PS3 slim matched near perfect with the PS3 width.

yeah , but even with that ( my photo is not right on top too like what on the box ) PS3 slim is now same as Xbox360 size wise , and that is one damn accomplished for Sony designers.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wollan said:
If BC comes back it won't be exclusively to the new PS3. It will be firmware based.

wasn't there article says that since BC gone PS3 software did better ? I swear I read it somewhere .

Edit : yup it wasn't even in English , on local newspaper , they claim PS3 games are selling better since Sony removed the PS2 BC , dunno about their source .

DieH@rd

Banned
chubigans said:

thinps3.jpg

Its little smaller than that, and I presume height will be much lower. It will also weight around 1/3 less.

All of this for reduction of production/shipping/retail storing cost.

gofreak said:
Do it, make it so.

Goldrusher

The more I look at it, the more I hate it. It looks so silly, cheap and kiddy.

The PS3 font especially. It better have the Spider-Man font. They didn't change it for the slim PS2, so why now ?
Will they change the game boxes too ?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmmm.

Maybe my eyes are failing me, but I'm getting different width to depth ratios for the official PS3 dimensions, the photo posted above, and in official Sony photos :lol

In the photo above, the ratio of width to depth is ~1.25:1. In a Sony Photo it's ~1.22:1. The official spec is ~1.19:1.

I was basing my calcs off the official dimensions.

This could explain the discrepency between the proportions I calced and those we see in the transposition above. In the above pic the photo is taken from an off centre position, off from the front, which may make the console look slightly less deep than it should be. But I don't know how to explain Sony's PR shots :lol

It's hard to say which is the right way to do this :| Maybe we'll just have to wait and see. It's a bit coincidental that taking the DS3 in the box pic to be 1:1 with the unit yields the exact same dimensions as taking the blu-ray opening to be 12cm.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Interesting. Thread goes from "that's a bad fake" to "workstations on the factory are the same color as the background of the pictures"

That's one hell of a "fake" to "confirmed" thread if i've ever seen one.

Good job, Detective Gaf.

lupinko

Goldrusher said:
Will they change the game boxes too ?

I hope not, I'm already trying to adjust to seeing PLAYSTATION NETWORK and ONLY ON PLAYSTATION on my NA box arts. X_x

Anyway they didn't change it for the PSX when the PSone was released, so why should they now?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow this thread exploded since I went to bed :lol

Glad more people believe this is real — that's the direction I was leaning last night while sleuthing that Chinese forum. It's interesting the thread is gone. I remember one of the things the picture-taker said was that he took these secretly and he didn't want to say his location for fear of being found out. He also said he'd delete the photos if shit hit the fan. And sure enough, the thread is gone and the original board where he hosted the photos deleted his thread as well.

HUELEN10

lupinko said:
they didn't change it for the PSX when the PSone was released, so why should they now?
Because in order to bring back the brand, they need to do a complete re-launch. Redesigning boxart would do this.

Vinci

Danish
HUELEN10 said:
Because in order to bring back the brand, they need to do a complete re-launch. Redesigning boxart would do this.

I agree. They really need this to put some energy back into the brand. Right now, it's floundering pretty hard.

HUELEN10 said:

They just recently re-did the boxart. If they're doing it again, sounds like a lot of indecision at the top of SCE or the new slim PS3 + brand is so hush-hush that very very few people know. Although there's been a lot of re-org at SCE relatively recently so this might the first sign of that new management.

Although I hate the current boxes so I'm all for it and I even like this new font.

HUELEN10

KernelPanic said:
They just recently re-did the boxart. If they're doing it again, sounds like a lot of indecision at the top of SCE or the new slim PS3 + brand is so hush-hush that very very few people know. Although there's been a lot of re-org at SCE relatively recently so this might the first sign of that new management.

Although I hate the current boxes so I'm all for it and I even like this new font.
Exactly. It has already been done. this is true, but another refresh will do anything but hurt!

Fresh blood in the playstation!

Also, it needs to NOT be black.
Wollan said:
Boxart (for games) won't change. The change will be for the main system.
They changed once, they will change again.

HUELEN10 said:

They should use blu ray style cases. That would make the ps3/blu ray connection more obvious and it just looks a lot more slick than the current case. Heck, I'd take the standard dvd cases over the ps3 cases.

H_Prestige said:
They should use blu ray style cases. That would make the ps3/blu ray connection more obvious and it just looks a lot more slick than the current case. Heck, I'd take the standard dvd cases over the ps3 cases.

The PS3 game cases are the same as a Blu-ray movie case, only it's not a transparent blue and it's thicker to accommodate a game manual.

I love how impulsive GAF is, having made up their minds about the aesthetics from the grainiest photos ever produced in console forum history.

Just from the shape alone, the new unit looks very nice especially since it has a sleek and contoured profile. I'm sure Sony will make certain that the finish on the case impresses.

Yes Boss!

Wollan said:
They never changed. They added some notifications. They still blend in with PS3 games since day one.

Don't you remember the PS1 fiasco...three complete changes in design? Sony needs everything they can now and a full refresh all the way down the line could (or better yet, should) be considered.

I got excited that maybe someday I would be buying a PS3 when it's slim, but then I saw it and realized it looks like a knock-off console...

billy.sea

Banned
Triforce-of-Hate said:
I love how impulsive GAF is, having made up their minds about the aesthetics from the grainiest photos ever produced in console forum history.

Just from the shape alone, the new unit looks very nice especially since it has a sleek and contoured profile. I'm sure Sony will make certain that the finish on the case impresses.

I love it too. Those people that hated it now will change their mind once they see the final product sitting in a lit case set up nicely at the Sony's E3 booth (I would say TGS more likely time for its reveal).

I can't remember how many times when an iPod, console, or handheld was leaked through crappy pictures people hated the design, but once official images came out they all praised it.

I can't remember how many times when an iPod, console, or handheld was leaked through crappy pictures people hated the design, but once official images came out they all praised it.

Couldn't agree more.

BTW, love the detective work being done by some of the more intelligent posters.

lupinko said:
Oh fuck no, game cases should stay the same, comformity is important dammit.

The case is practically the same, except that the PS3 went on the biggest loser and shed some much needed weight. I personally love the way the original SKU looks, but this new model just complements the evolution of the system. More ergonomic, more sleek, and more efficient...everything you want in a refresh really.

Triforce-of-Hate said:
The case is practically the same, except that the PS3 went on the biggest loser and shed some much needed weight. I personally love the way the original SKU looks, but this new model just complements the evolution of the system. More ergonomic, more sleek, and more efficient...everything you want in a refresh really.

Game case, you know? The cases that hold the Blu-ray disc and manual, not the shell of the system.

Yes Boss!

lupinko said:
Oh fuck no, game cases should stay the same, comformity is important dammit.

No collector wants game cases to change. The PS3 cases are slick as hell but Sony has completely changed game cases in the past so it is a possibility.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Danthrax said:
BTW, good charts and number crunching, Gofreak. You truly are our Bob Woodward. =P

Well Chubigan's pic may discredit the calcs we did earlier..

The ratio of the proportions for the original ps3 in all the different pics are different though, so... :p I hope my last figures are right though, since that would be smaller!

HUELEN10

Machado said:
that's the fucking font os ps2 how can it be real???
At this stage, how can it not? This is one of the few times when things like this have popped up and have added up. The GAF Detective Agency has done damn fine work on the matter.

Vinci

Danish
HUELEN10 said:
At this stage, how can it not? This is one of the few times when things like this have popped up and have added up. The GAF Detective Agency has done damn fine work on the matter.

Besides, if you're going to emulate anything, better to go with the PS2 than fucking Spider-Man.

lupinko

Triforce-of-Hate said:

I said game case, what is it with people who can't read nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom