• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Machado said:
that's the fucking font os ps2 how can it be real???

not the same font

1zv6ayp.jpg

104nfat.png

the new one is more curvy

lupinko

HUELEN10 said:
At this stage, how can it not? This is one of the few times when things like this have popped up and have added up. The GAF Detective Agency has done damn fine work on the matter.

Vinci said:
Besides, if you're going to emulate anything, better to go with the PS2 than fucking Spider-Man.

BACK OFF NINTENBOTS!

Burai

shitonmychest57
_leech_ said:
How is having a slot on the side and letting users replace their own hard drive keeping the price up?

The drive comes in a removable caddy and the slot is just an extra piece to be assembled at manufacturing. Removing that would save money.

And before you say "Hahahaha! That saving isn't worth it!" tell that to Sony who removed 2 USB ports and changed the silver plastic to save a few cents per machine when they came up with the 40GB SKU.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Maaaaaaaaan, I want this to be real so bad.

lupinko

Burai said:
The drive comes in a removable caddy and the slot is just an extra piece to be assembled at manufacturing. Removing that would save money.

And before you say "Hahahaha! That saving isn't worth it!" tell that to Sony who removed 2 USB ports and changed the silver plastic to save a few cents per machine when they came up with the 40GB SKU.

With that said, us OG PS3 owners > new slim PS3 owners.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ad Infinitum said:
Yeah, the box art doesn't look convincing at all.

It's quite convincing IMO.

The picture quality is terrible and has crushed blacks and detail, but don't let that fool you.

(It also ought not to have the same proportions as the current box).

Deft Beck

gofreak said:
It's quite convincing IMO.

The picture quality is terrible and has crushed blacks and detail, but don't let that fool you.

(It also ought not to have the same proportions as the current box).

The logo looks different, though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wheeliedude said:

It does indeed...I think a lot of us have concluded that it's fairly reasonable they'd introduce a new logo for a redesigned model..

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
They can't make it slimmer because of overheating, as the YLOD is caused by that, I doubt a smaller PS3 would actually be in the making.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wheeliedude said:

they put " PSone " logo when they redesigned old good first Playstation , and pushed long " PlayStation " logo away on that lil white box .

see old PS1 box ( DS edition )

PlaystationBox.jpg

PSone box

58%20Sony%20Playstation%20One.jpg

they removed " PlayStation " for "Psone " on that

Yes Boss!

gofreak said:
It does indeed...I think a lot of us have concluded that it's fairly reasonable they'd introduce a new logo for a redesigned model..

Anything is better than the Spider-man mistake.

Kujo

makingmusic476 said:
And when the Cell/RSX both drop to 45nm?
GPUs mostly skipped the 45nm stage (they're now either 55nm or 40nm), but yeah, both chips should be around that mark soon, which would help with the heat. Not to mention that if the internal PSU has been taken out, there's even less heat to worry about.

Click

Banned
JB1981 said:
Wait .... some people really think this is real? Hmmmm

I think it's real... a real prototype.
It's quite obvious Sony has been trying to redesign the PS3 and these are leaked prototype photos.

Brofist

:lol whether it's real or not I love people pulling out the font reasoning for it not being real. They can basically do whatever they want with the box font, and if they want to give the PS3 a smaller look and a new image or reboot of sorts, that would probably be the way to go in fact.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Click said:
I think it's real... a real prototype.
It's quite obvious Sony has been trying to redesign the PS3 and these are leaked prototype photos.

Don't think they'd be making retail boxes for a prototype. I could be wrong on this, but I also doubt they'd send prototypes of maintek to assemble if they're a secondary supplier, chiefly for SCEA.

I'm sure it looks more polished when fully assembled than individual bits of casing do though :p

Click

Banned
gofreak said:
Don't think they'd be making retail boxes for a prototype.

I'm sure it looks more polished when fully assembled than individual bits of casing do though :p

The box could be just a mock-up, if real.
Box images can easily be changed. If the box is a real, official Sony-made image, it's probably just there to see how the prototype would look on a box.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I dunno, I sort of doubt they'd involve more teams with super-secret prototypes than necessary, before they were really needed (e.g. box designers). Seems needless to do that before you've decided to go ahead with one. I really don't think how the box looks would figure into their decision making :p

Assuming the photos are genuine I think it's improbable, though not impossible, that they're just of a prototype.

edit - re the above, it's been pointed out before that on some trailers they've switched to prioritising a short-form of the logo, the 'ps3' logo. Which sort of makes sense because it stands out better than the full (thin) version. But if this stuff is true they'll also be changing the font of that logo later..

Shins

Banned
PS3_Slim_7.jpg

Holding firm on fake after noticing that the "PlayStation family" font beneath the new "PS3" logo is in the older style (you can tell from the "a"s). Why would they bother to slightly tweak the PS family font a while back, only to revert to the slightly different older version? Just doesn't make any sense.

thaOwner

Musashi Wins! said:
After the NPD I really believe in this. They need one month of good sales and a hardware launch does that.
Why ? Its not like its the first Sony have done poorly on the NPD.

spwolf

Mojo said:
GPUs mostly skipped the 45nm stage (they're now either 55nm or 40nm), but yeah, both chips should be around that mark soon, which would help with the heat. Not to mention that if the internal PSU has been taken out, there's even less heat to worry about.

yeah, psu was probably biggest offender in original PS3 - lots of power needed inside relativly slim box. Now it needs a lot less power + it is taken outside, a lot less heating problems after 2-3 years when the dust settles in.

Shins said:
PS3_Slim_7.jpg

Holding firm on fake after noticing that the "PlayStation family" font beneath the new "PS3" logo is in the older style (you can tell from the "a"s). Why would they bother to slightly tweak the PS family font a while back, only to revert to the slightly different older version? Just doesn't make any sense.

They never tweaked the PlayStation family font. The shot of the box is skewed in perspective so it'll look kinda distorted.

Shins

Banned
Yeah they did.

161i4ht.jpg

Near the bottom, you see the slightly tweaked new PS family font. The box art is using the older one.

Shins said:
Yeah they did.

161i4ht.jpg

Near the bottom, you see the slightly tweaked new PS family font. The box art is using the older one.

We're talking about the bit under the new PS3 logo, right? Then I get that it's not the same font as the one of the PS1/2 games', kinda looks like the PlayStation Portable or PlayStation Network one.

Edit: Exactly, thanks Chittagong. It's Helvetica-like.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Shins said:
PS3_Slim_7.jpg

That's not the PlayStation family type treatment, that's Helvetica. As in the PSP logo. Might be Helvetica Regular.

PSP_Logo.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shins said:
Yeah they did.

They went back to this lettering in the latest PSN logo though.

global_header.jpg

The one on the box looks (exactly) the same as that, and it's not unreasonable to think they would harmonise the lettering between the psn and ps3 logos.

Shins

Banned
Ah shit, you guys are right. I was too focused in on the "a," and as I can see, Helvetica and the old PS Family font share the same shape as far as that goes.

Now I'm not sure what to think.

edit: Helvetica is boring as fuck either way though; why must Sony run away from iconic typography?

Click

Banned
Shins said:
Ah shit, you guys are right. I was too focused in on the "a," and as I can see, Helvetica and the old PS Family font share the same shape as far as that goes.

Now I'm not sure what to think.

I'm not sure why so many people are focusing on the box image.
Again, the box image/design can easily be made and changed.
The photos of the faceplate and backplate are what needs to be focused on and critiqued, not the box.

spwolf

guys, there is no other confirmation needed than NPD results and Sony's estimates for 2009 FY. Based on those, PS3 will have to have double sales for Q3/Q4 (compared to 2008) in order to reach close to those goals, and only way they can double the sales is new SKU at considerably reduced price. Compared to how they are doing now, maybe even tripple the sales...

at the same time, almost flat PSP sales means new SKU is coming later on this FY with similar price (as 2007 and 2008 PSP already had good sales due to new models).

TwIsTeD

honestly this all comes together nicely, new hardware that they know hardcore sony fans will pick up + a possible price drop (to welcome newcomers)= epic sony relaunch before holiday and considering the fact they were down 1 billion Sony needs a way to put the PS3 on top of the 360 at least

hell if nintendo can get sales spikes off a 3rd generation DS then sony should be able to pull it together and bring in that PS2 base that has'nt upgraded yet due to the price

spwolf

TwIsTeD said:
honestly this all comes together nicely, new hardware that they know hardcore sony fans will pick up + a possible price drop (to welcome newcomers)= epic sony relaunch before holiday and considering the fact they were down 1 billion Sony needs a way to put the PS3 on top of the 360 at least

hell if nintendo can get sales spikes off a 3rd generation DS then sony should be able to pull it together and bring in that PS2 base that has'nt upgraded yet due to the price

keep in mind that Sony knows and has already accounting for losses on new PS3 sku as wel (predictions on losses are same as this FY, which doesnt make sense at similar price of hardware). It should be priced well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom