• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shins said:
Holding firm on fake after noticing that the "PlayStation family" font beneath the new "PS3" logo is in the older style (you can tell from the "a"s). Why would they bother to slightly tweak the PS family font a while back, only to revert to the slightly different older version? Just doesn't make any sense.

So you're saying that's actually the same logo as the one on the PS1 box further up the page? ...really?

Machado

relaunch a ps3 is necessary but if it doesn't have BC it'll be much harder to attract ps2-still owners with somewhat large game collections

kittel

Kadey said:
China. All I needed to know.

Yup. Almost everything is made in China/Taiwan, especially those re-branded OEM products. It's even more so if you're talking PCBs, reflow soldering, plastic mold injection, and component assembly. Almost all Apple products are made in China.

kittel said:
Yup. Almost everything is made in China/Taiwan, especially those re-branded OEM products. It's even more so if you're talking PCBs, reflow soldering, plastic mold injection, and component assembly. Almost all Apple products are made in China.

Some launch PS3s were manufactured in Japan, so I wonder if that was just due to demand and not a permanent move.

Click

Banned
Machado said:
relaunch a ps3 is necessary but if it doesn't have BC it'll be much harder to attract ps2-still owners with somewhat large game collections

Because it's a requisite for PS2 owners to throw away their PS2s when they buy a PS3?

Backward compatibility is a very good feature to have because it reduces clutter and multiple inputs into TVs. But certain fanboys/trolls are ridiculous for trying to make it a defining (missing) feature that causes people to not buy PS3s.

kittel

Valkyr Junkie said:
Some launch PS3s were manufactured in Japan, so I wonder if that was just due to demand and not a permanent move.

Sony needs to cut costs. Manufacturing in Japan, while better than most Chinese factories in quality, is still costly. The fact that some products in China are of low caliber doesn't apply to all products from China. Of course, this fact doesn't increase the likelihood of these shots being true (there are other factors). I'm simply reminding people that almost all electronics and plastics have their manufacturing origins in China.

Click said:
Because it's a requisite for PS2 owners to throw away their PS2s when they buy a PS3?
No, but if the $50 you can get for your used PS2 helps you get a PS3 and you can still play your old games... all the better.

Click said:

Backward compatibility is a very good feature to have because it reduces clutter and multiple inputs into TVs. But certain fanboys/trolls are ridiculous for trying to make it a defining (missing) feature that causes people to not buy PS3s.

Its ridiculous the way its bandied about on forums - thats true. But the absence of BC is a massive, massive factor at retail around the world and its been proven, checked, measured, and measured again in loads of countries - NeoGaf has had, what, two dozen threads on this?. I think its very arrogant for us to say "well just don't throw out your PS2" - people are far more likely to naturally come down on the side of "well I just won't buy a PS3". Its not like explaining to somebody that they need to keep a VCR.

Anyway, I really like the redesign should it happen to be real. They have a great game library offline and on, solid support, interesting exclusives - but I still don't have one because of three factors: BC, price and size. If they deal with at least two of these issues and I run out of excuses and I wager a lot of ordinary mild-game-nut consumers will see a cheap redesign as the excuse they've been waiting for.

JoJo13

Banned
This looks like the real deal. Looks absolutely slick. Like someone said, resembles a macbook air.

Now for the magic price point....120 GB doesn't have me very confident that it will be cheap.

Are 120 GB HDDs just as cheap as 80 GBs these days, though? If so, then maybe the bump in GB won't preclude a price drop to $299....but $299 is necessary. And I think Sony has to drop the price to $299 levels to reach their 13 million units shipped this year.

Also, the controller is the standard DS3. Doesn't this debunk the PS3 waggle rumor? If they were making a big push for a new controller interface, wouldn't it be packed in?

Also, since these guys are already being manufactured and boxed, realistically how long are we going to have to wait for these to hit store shelves?

Sin said September, but it looks like they're already good to go. Perhaps they're just manufacturing lots of units now in anticipation of larger demand.

JoJo13 said:
This looks like the real deal. Looks absolutely slick. Like someone said, resembles a macbook air.

Now for the magic price point....120 GB doesn't have me very confident that it will be cheap.

Are 120 GB HDDs just as cheap as 80 GBs these days, though? If so, then maybe the bump in GB won't preclude a price drop to $299....but $299 is necessary. And I think Sony has to drop the price to $299 levels to reach their 13 million units shipped this year.

Also, the controller is the standard DS3. Doesn't this debunk the PS3 waggle rumor? If they were making a big push for a new controller interface, wouldn't it be packed in?

Also, since these guys are already being manufactured and boxed, realistically how long are we going to have to wait for these to hit store shelves?

Sin said September, but it looks like they're already good to go. Perhaps they're just manufacturing lots of units now in anticipation of larger demand.

The last thing we need is a unit that is guaranteed to splinter the market with a different controller. They're still selling a PS3 here, it's not like with Wii where it's fundamentally the same guts but a brand new philosophy. And I don't think anybody was taking the PS3 Waggle Edition rumors that seriously, right?

By the time I nabbed the 250GB I'm using now, it was at the same price point as 150 or so GB drives were the year before. There's that.

Gattsu25

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
It is matte plastic. That alone makes it better & prettier than the current PS3.
No...no...it really doesn't.

And the material is hardly the thing that stands out the most, as far as horrible design is concerned.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You know what this is?

It's like those Vii.

It's a Chinese counterfeit product I bet.

Or maybe not.

Ether_Snake said:
You know what this is?

It's like those Vii.

It's a Chinese counterfeit product I bet.

Or maybe not.

They already had one of those.

Reposting from page 1.

e0r0n5.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
They already had one of those.

Reposting from page 1.

e0r0n5.jpg

Wow, that guy even looks like a counterfeit Kutaragi.

spwolf

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
The last thing we need is a unit that is guaranteed to splinter the market with a different controller. They're still selling a PS3 here, it's not like with Wii where it's fundamentally the same guts but a brand new philosophy. And I don't think anybody was taking the PS3 Waggle Edition rumors that seriously, right?

By the time I nabbed the 250GB I'm using now, it was at the same price point as 150 or so GB drives were the year before. There's that.

sony always had different controllers, addition to eye camera only makes sense.

it will be sold like eye camera is right now + additional controler and thats it... it is not that complicated to imagine really... all they need is a game to bundle it with and thats pretty much it.

Zaptruder

Banned
This new PS3 seems to do a pretty good job in holding onto the good looking genes of the fat PS3, while still iterating the design. It's really not unlike the transition from previous PS to their PS-smaller models.

Indeed, it looks better than latter iterations of the PS3 which replaced the chrome with a tacky silver paint that gave it a much more plastic feeling. And the flap door, been replaced with a solid sealed door also made it feel that much more off.

And while I don't think it would happen... launching a new PS3 design along with the long rumoured and often referenced motion controllers would be a highly reinvigorating plan for the struggling platform.

Problem is getting it to all coincide together.

Would be awesome to see Sony release the PS3 short + GT5 package as well... My PS2 was from the PS2+GT3 package. Such great times.

LegoDad

419bnlif6llss500.jpg
PS3_Slim_2.jpg

Ok guys, tell me where the TM is on that box for the PS3 slim like the PS2 above???

Surprised no one jumped on this.

Josh7289

Burai said:
And before you say "Hahahaha! That saving isn't worth it!" tell that to Sony who removed 2 USB ports and changed the silver plastic to save a few cents per machine when they came up with the 40GB SKU.
I was just going to ask about that, since I only have a 60 GB North American PS3, and am interested in the crap Sony has done to the newest ones to reduce cost, but...

Zaptruder said:
Indeed, it looks better than latter iterations of the PS3 which replaced the chrome with a tacky silver paint that gave it a much more plastic feeling. And the flap door, been replaced with a solid sealed door also made it feel that much more off.
answered for me.

So did those two changes occur at the same time, with the introduction of the 40 GB PS3, and have they been on every PS3 since?

Also, what kind of texture does the tacky silver paint have? Is it the same plastic as the rest of the case, just painted silver (and glossy)?

caliblue15 said:
Ok guys, tell me where the TM is on that box for the PS3 slim like the PS2 above???

Because I can barely make out a horizontal line where the TM would be.

xintin

after the Y in Sony
after the n in PlayStation Network
after the 3 in both PS3
inbetween the n&3 in PlayStation 3

they look like dots but with quality that bad what can you expect.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
caliblue15 said:

In exactly the same spot.

These are shitty, shitty pics, which do not give a good representation of the final packaging, the material finish, or even the structure of the hardware. But they certainly look more legit than they do fake, in my opinion.

Gattsu25

Banned
caliblue15 said:
419bnlif6llss500.jpg
PS3_Slim_2.jpg

I personally think this is bullshit beyond bullshit...but there is a darker spot where the TM would be, hinting that the TM might be there. Pic (and design) is uber shit quality, though

The box pic in particular looks pretty damn nice.

This was bound to happen eventually, so not too surprised if it's true.

I don't know about people making claims about how this would "win E3" though. Sounds like there might be some heavy bombs droped all round. To think that a hardware revision and price cut would automatically slay anything else that happens just seems... a little silly.

Oh dear. It seems that my "NO PS3 PRICE DROP IN '09 AND EVEN IF THERE IS, IT WOULD BE $50" prediction is in jeopardy. It wouldn't have been possible with the older models, but these slimline ones definitely put a $100 drop within reach.

Ether_Snake said:
I don't think it's fake. It's too elaborate.

2872af8.jpg

Correct, the only group that would be able to create such a fake would be a manufacturer. If microsoft wanted to spoil next months sales of PS3 this kind of doubt would make people think twice, backwards compatability and cheaper? I'll hold off on that purchase.

I think this is real.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I would probably do that if I was running MS's 360 division:lol Spark price drop rumors, even make false adverts and all.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I will re ask here:

What do you think will change if this is real?

- i would like to see some rear USBs.
- HDMI-CEC
- HDMI chip updated to bitstream new audio formats.
- IR chip.
- wireless N.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
JoJo13 said:

Or they're manufacturing units to show off at E3 in a couple weeks.

On the subject of announcing the PS3slim at E3, I'm not sure it would win the conference for Sony just because we know about it now. It won't be a surprise. Even selling it for $300 won't be huge because many of us are predicting it already.

If Sony wins E3, it'll be because of a combination of big game announcements, PS2 BC, a price point even lower than $300, new firmware upgrades and new PSN stuff.

[edit]
dreamcastmaster said:
Correct, the only group that would be able to create such a fake would be a manufacturer. If microsoft wanted to spoil next months sales of PS3 this kind of doubt would make people think twice, backwards compatability and cheaper? I'll hold off on that purchase.

I think this is real.

:lol I didn't even think of a conspiracy theory that convoluted. Wow :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
Danthrax said:
Or they're manufacturing units to show off at E3 in a couple weeks.

On the subject of announcing the PS3slim at E3, I'm not sure it would win the conference for Sony just because we know about it now. It won't be a surprise. Even selling it for $300 won't be huge because many of us are predicting it already.

If Sony wins E3, it'll be because of a combination of big game announcements, PS2 BC, a price point even lower than $300, new firmware upgrades and new PSN stuff.

Nah. I disagree. Slim PS3 at 299 plus a good amount of excellent games is huge. If GT5 or FF13 makes it this fall then either one would be enough.

All the stuff you list is the biggest wish list ever, but all know realistically we may get 1-3 of those at most.

lupinko

AndyD said:
I will re ask here:

- HDMI-CEC

- IR chip.
- wireless N.

If they do that, I'll be really pissed, and will probably buy another one.

AndyD said:
I will re ask here:

- HDMI-CEC
- IR chip.
- wireless N.

What I'd like most.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I thought the HDMI was spec 1.3a? It can be upgraded via firmware, unlike the 1.2 HDMI that's in most products.

AndyD said:
I will re ask here:

- HDMI-CEC
- IR chip.
- wireless N.

Thinking about it, I would like rear-USB ports for stuff like PS Eye that I want plugged in but not having to coil it around the system n stuff.

The HDMI advanced stuff might screw customers over unless it didn't require a brand new standard or variant.

802.11n please.

dolemite

AndyD said:
I will re ask here:

- HDMI-CEC
- IR chip.
- wireless N.
They appear to bump the hard drive size up to 120 gigs.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Thinking about it, I would like rear-USB ports for stuff like PS Eye that I want plugged in but not having to coil it around the system n stuff.

The HDMI advanced stuff might screw customers over unless it didn't require a brand new standard or variant.

802.11n please.

HDMI would not change in the slightest. They are all compatible. It would simply have more features.

I remember when the PS2 changed after about 2-3 years and they added progressive scan DVD play and IR to it for the same price. I imagine this would be similar to that. I bought a second one then, and I would do the same here.

lupinko

chubigans said:
I thought the HDMI was spec 1.3a? It can be upgraded via firmware, unlike the 1.2 HDMI that's in most products.

PS3 can't bitstream DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD, it can only decode them to LPCM. And iirc it's the HDMI chip that Sony had put in the PS3 that doesn't allow said bitstreaming.

Not that it matters to me anyway (I have a LPCM receiver, so the PS3's current abilities are more than pleasant for me), it's all the same at the end of the day, but for people who have neat receivers which can accept the two lossless formats, it would be a big plus for them.

AndyD said:
HDMI would not change in the slightest. They are all compatible. It would simply have more features.

I remember when the PS2 changed after about 2-3 years and they added progressive scan DVD play and IR to it for the same price. I imagine this would be similar to that. I bought a second one then, and I would do the same here.

There you go. I've already been burned with HDMI since the LCD we've got here has an older version that makes everything look grotesque with artifacting and all. Thank goodness they refined it since.

Probably asking a bit much for a bit faster Blu-ray drive, ey? Would it even be effective or would game discs still spin at 2X speed?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
viciouskillersquirrel said:
It wouldn't have been possible with the older models, but these slimline ones definitely put a $100 drop within reach.
You make it sound like the plastic adds 300$ to the cost of PS3. You do realize that majority of cost-revisions are going to be internal - whether or not there's a slimdown.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
There you go. I've already been burned with HDMI since the LCD we've got here has an older version that makes everything look grotesque with artifacting and all. Thank goodness they refined it since.

Probably asking a bit much for a bit faster Blu-ray drive, ey? Would it even be effective or would game discs still spin at 2X speed?

Same speed. The current engines are designed to stream at a certain speed, so it would not make a difference in games.

Plus it would create a two tier system (new are faster, older are slower) which is not a good idea at all.

It may be good because it could be beneficial for movies? Although I don't see how. They could change the drive to be quieter/cheaper although its dead silent now.

It's clearly fake, and for one MAIN reason:

PS1 -> PSOne

PS2 -> PSTwo

PS3 -> PS3? lol.

Should be PSThree

But that's just the obvious one. There are other reasons this is clearly fake. I'm sure there IS a redesign coming, this just isn't it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Fafalada said:
You make it sound like the plastic adds 300$ to the cost of PS3. You do realize that majority of cost-revisions are going to be internal - whether or not there's a slimdown.
It could make it much lighter and smaller, which saves in shipping costs. They have said before shipping these things around is not cheap, especially millions of them. And every dollar counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom