• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ether_Snake said:
ZOMG MAYBE BECAUSE THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE PICTURES DIDN'T MANAGE TO TAKE ANY FURTHER UP AHEAD WHERE THEY ARE COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED! IDONNO!

edit: imagine if the new PS3 model was disc-tray-less like the UMD-less PSP:p

The current ps3 is disc-tray-less... do you mean disc-less?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Just realised this won't have the power brick built in, i love that about my PS3. I absolutely hate having a brick connected to my console, goddamn Wii and 360.

i'd just like to go on record that i have maintained publicly sony should re-brand the entire console (packaging, logo, etc) a la sega genesis when it changed up its packaging and logo in america. so if this turns out to be true, another barkley "told you so" moment. kthxbai.

NinjaFridge said:
Just realised this won't have the power brick built in, i love that about my PS3. I absolutely hate having a brick connected to my console, goddamn Wii and 360.
No proof of that yet, but likely. Although it does seem to have the wide power plug, which would imply an internal PSU.

Neil said:
So basically it's slimmer... but still pretty much the same length and width as the Playstation 3.
Or have I just not seen my Playstation 3 in a long time?

Height should be considerable reduced and length could be visibly shorter too. The depth seems about the same.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Neil said:
So basically it's slimmer... but still pretty much the same length and width as the Playstation 3.
Or have I just not seen my Playstation 3 in a long time?

I reckon it should be 5-6cm smaller on width (down to 26-27cm from 32.5cm).

We've seen more variation in estimates on depth..chubigans reckons it's probably the same depth as the current ps3. But other estimates suggest it'll be 22cm deep (vs the current 27cm).

Height (thickness) is much harder to tell, but the base portion looks to be 3cm high at the back. The base portion on the current PS3 is twice as high as that at the back. But that doesn't necessarily mean the whole thing is only half as high..

Click

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
i'd just like to go on record that i have maintained publicly sony should re-brand the entire console (packaging, logo, etc) a la sega genesis when it changed up its packaging and logo in america. so if this turns out to be true, another barkley "told you so" moment. kthxbai.

Nobody remembers or cares.

Oh and FYI, Sony's been re-branding / redesigning their consoles since original PlayStation days.
You're not special for suggesting they should do the same thing again with the PS3.
Everyone knew it was coming. It was just a matter of when it would happen.

kthxbai

Click said:
Nobody remembers or cares.

Oh and FYI, Sony's been re-branding / redesigning this consoles since original PlayStation days.
You're not special for suggesting they do the same thing again with the PS3.
Everyone knew it was coming. It was just a matter of when it would happen.

kthxbai

Re-branding and redesigning something are two different things - neither is necessarily connected to the other. The shift for the original PS2 to the slim wasn't a rebrand, but it was a redesign.

'Course, I disagree with the need to rebrand. Sony's problem this gen, aside from the obvious price issue, has always been marketing. LBP, KZ2, Uncharted etc. all sold less than they could have because of poor marketing.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
wollan said:
PS3_Slim_4.jpg

so what is the other big slot on the other side next to USB ones ? did they moved the HDD to the front now instead of the side ?

spwolf

Ether_Snake said:
ZOMG MAYBE BECAUSE THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE PICTURES DIDN'T MANAGE TO TAKE ANY FURTHER UP AHEAD WHERE THEY ARE COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED! IDONNO!

edit: imagine if the new PS3 model was disc-tray-less like the UMD-less PSP:p

yeah, maybe they have dummy BD slot with dummy BD sign in front of it :D

spwolf

somuchwater said:
Re-branding and redesigning something are two different things - neither is necessarily connected to the other. The shift for the original PS2 to the slim wasn't a rebrand, but it was a redesign.

'Course, I disagree with the need to rebrand. Sony's problem this gen, aside from the obvious price issue, has always been marketing. LBP, KZ2, Uncharted etc. all sold less than they could have because of poor marketing.

it is still PS3, they are not rebranding it... they are just trying to make big splash with it my doing both redesign and price drop together. It is strategy that worked really well for Sony before so it only makes sense.

I see no big difference between this and what they did with PS2 slim, in fact, PS2 slim was probably bigger difference compared to original PS2.

Machado

slider said:
You're never happy. : (

look...I'm willing to take that SONY shit, I'm willing to take the price, I'm even willing to take a $500 price, all I ask for is BC

AND NO...I DON'T WANT TO BUY A PS2

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Totobeni said:
so what is the other big slot on the other side next to USB ones ? did they moved the HDD to the front now instead of the side ?

edit - nevermind..the perspective in the shot is likely screwing up any measurements. Can't really extrapolate measurements without a head-on shot I don't think. But that slot probably is for the HDD..maybe..

What a great thread

. Page 1:

Shins said:
fake, and not a good fake

MoogPaul said:
It doesn't even look like it could house a blu-ray and a laptop hard drive let alone a motherboard.

KilgoreTrout said:
:lol :lol :lol

I was expecting a good fake not something that looks like a mini-toolbox.

Rez said:

Page 25:
Gantz said:
I'm glad they got rid of the lame Spiderman font :lol
Wollan said:
It's being packaged. It's final.

Of course, you will see the whole thing then and not just lids and pieces.

Page 30:
Release date announced?

Anyway, I wonder what features will be dropped this time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Machado said:
look...I'm willing to take that SONY shit, I'm willing to take the price, I'm even willing to take a $500 price, all I ask for is BC

Well buy a PS2, geez.

Click

Banned
somuchwater said:

I know what the difference between re-branding and redesign is.
You obviously do not know what the symbol "/" means.

I only use the term "re-branding" because that poster used it. If you want to get all technical, Sony never truly re-branded ANY PlayStation console, and still wouldn't even with a PS3 Slim coming out. Because if they really did re-brand the PS3, the words "Sony" and "PlayStation" would not be anywhere on the box or console. Just because they took out the "Playstation 3" logo on the console and replaced it with "PS3," doesn't mean they're re-branding it.

spwolf

Machado said:

well you can buy one with bc for $500... so whats the problem again?

Click said:
I know what the difference between re-branding and redesign is.
You obviously do not know what the symbol "/" means.

I only use the term "re-branding" because that poster used it. If you want to get all technical, Sony never truly re-branded ANY PlayStation console, and still wouldn't even with a PS3 Slim coming out. Because if they really did re-brand the PS3, the words "Sony" and "PlayStation" would not be anywhere on the box or console. Just because they took out the "Playstation 3" logo on the console and replaced it with "PS3," doesn't mean they're re-branding it.

Right, I never said they re-branded anything. The previous poster was saying they should, and I was disagreeing. They just need to fire their marketing company because they are clearly not producing results.

AndyD

aka andydumi
somuchwater said:
Right, I never said they re-branded anything. The previous poster was saying they should, and I was disagreeing. They just need to fire their marketing company because they are clearly not producing results.

its not that easy. maybe they have kept them on a leash since marketing is so expensive, and financially they are not at their peak.

Rolf NB

gofreak said:
Measuring it up based on the usb ports, it's 170mm on its longer end, 145mm on its shorter end, and 17.5mm high.

The current SATA opening is 112mm x 20mm high. Internally the height needed for the tray is smaller.

So I think that could well be your HDD slot..it would be large enough certainly.
Typical dimensions of 2.5" HDD: 69mm width x 100mm depth x 9mm height
A naked Fujitsu MHU2100AT is my witness.

Nizz

H_Prestige said:
Yup. It looks like the same material the ps2 is made out of, which is good. Cheap and clean. The 60gb ps3 certainly looks impressive, but it's a hassle to take care of.
I'm hopping in late here, but I agree. So this new slim PS3 looks to be the same type of outer shell as the PS2? I kinda wish they had gone with this finish in the first place.

My PS2 was so easy to clean, and I never had to worry about scratching the shell. This new slim really has me interested. I still love my 60g cause of backwards compatibility and probably being the most feature rich version, but I wouldn't mind getting one of these..

And like someone else said, if this one runs super quiet, that's another plus. My PS3 now can get pretty loud once it gets going.

Click

Banned
fps fanatic said:
I'm hopping in late here, but I agree. So this new slim PS3 looks to be the same type of outer shell as the PS2? I kinda wish they had gone with this finish in the first place.

My PS2 was so easy to clean, and I never had to worry about scratching the shell. This new slim really has me interested. I still love my 60g cause of backwards compatibility and probably being the most feature rich version, but I wouldn't mind getting one of these..

And like someone else said, if this one runs super quiet, that's another plus. My PS3 now can get pretty loud once it gets going.

Yup. These are my only complaints with the design of the current PS3.

The "piano," shiny black material is too easily scratched, get smudged, and attracts dust like crazy. It looks great if it's been pampered and constantly cleaned, but most gamers don't treat their consoles like it's a $40,000+ luxury/sports car.

My launch PS3 also runs really loud and hot if playing graphically/processor intensive games. There's probably tons of dust inside but I'm afraid to use compressed air to blow that shit out, since it might clog up other components inside or even screw with the Blu-ray laser.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Click said:
but I'm afraid to use compressed air to blow that shit out, since it might clog up other components inside or even screw with the Blu-ray laser.

don't do it ...you will sink that sucker with rain of oil , and don't use oil-free compressed air too , both will hurt your PS3 .

the only safe way is to send it to some videogame store with workshop that fix systems , they will open it and suck the dust out of it safely with a tool look like the saliva ejector .

Click

Banned
Totobeni said:
don't do it ...you will sink that sucker with rain of oil , and don't use oil-free compressed air too , both will hurt your PS3 .

the only safe way is to send it to some videogame store with workshop that fix systems , they will open it and suck the dust out of it safely with a tool look like the saliva ejector .

Yeah, I don't know of any video game console repair show anywhere and if there were some around, I wouldn't trust them, lol.

I wonder how much Sony charges to clean a PS3 out. Probably way too much to be worth it and just shipping/handling alone would cost an arm and a leg.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
bcn-ron said:
Typical dimensions of 2.5" HDD: 69mm width x 100mm depth x 9mm height
A naked Fujitsu MHU2100AT is my witness.

I would guess that slot is big enough to accomodate a 2.5" drive, BUT, as I edited, I wouldn't trust the measurements I made there..the perspective in the shot totally screws that up. When I went to measure the length of the base, based off the USB width, you find it's like over 40cm, far bigger than the current model :lol The perspective, the angle of the shot, I guess does that..so..

In an angled shot like this you can only really measure things near to your 'control' so that perspective doesn't mess things up too much.

Machado

Click said:
You're obviously just bullshitting because if you really were "willing" to "take" all that from Sony and wanted a PS3, you would've already bought one.

yeah...like they'd just ship to venezuela...

look I live in this shithole and AMAZON doesn't ship here i whish they did I'd buy one in a second I've never had aPS· and it's the console I'd love the most to have only if it had BC, the only ps3 I've seen here are non BC and are from $1000 to 2000 search for yourselves

LINK

Banned
CrushDance said:
If you have an Xbox already, what is the advantage of buying another one with a new chipset? (Epic lulz)

They do more than play games, especially the PS3. I'd keep my old one and buy the slim to do co-op with siblings etc or put it in another room for BluRay playback or whatever. Not to mention quieter, less electricity, etc.

Epic lulz? There is an advantage to a more reliable chipset. The PS3 is already reliable and dead quite. So, my question stands. What is the advantage of a slimmer PS3?

Truespeed

Machado said:

Do you recall that PS2 Emulation position offered by Sony some time ago? Well, the qualified applicant committed suicide.

Click

Banned
Machado said:
yeah...like they'd just ship to venezuela...

look I live in this shithole and AMAZON doesn't ship here i whish they did I'd buy one in a second I've never had aPS· and it's the console I'd love the most to have only if it had BC, the only ps3 I've seen here are non BC and are from $1000 to 2000 search for yourselves

LINK

Oh boy, you're back.

So now you're blaming Amazon and/or Sony because they don't ship to where you live? LMFAO! Man, your posts are getting better and better. It's amazing how you have electricity, running water, an Internet connection, and a PC/laptop to type on GAF with, seeing as how you live in a "shithole."

IF you really do live in a "shithole," then I'm sorry to hear that. But please, stop making dumb posts around here because it doesn't matter where you live. A dumb post is a dumb post.

P.S. Hugo Chavez sucks.

Click

Banned
Karma said:
Epic lulz? There is an advantage to a more reliable chipset. The PS3 is already reliable and dead quite. So, my question stands. What is the advantage of a slimmer PS3?

Lighter and smaller (costs less to ship worldwide). Easier to carry around / more portable, saves shelf space (both for retailers and consumers), no more scratch/swirl marks everywhere, and most importantly, generates more/new interest, hype, and marketing opportunities due to redesign.

And we still haven't seen details and specs to what will be added, changed, taken out, or remain the same, in regard to the components of the Slim. So there could be more advantages nobody really knows about yet.

Machado

Click said:
Oh boy, you're back.

So now you're blaming Amazon and/or Sony because they don't ship to where you live? LMFAO! Man, your posts are getting better and better. It's amazing how you have electricity, running water, an Internet connection, and a PC/laptop to type on GAF with, seeing as how you live in a "shithole."

IF you really do live in a "shithole," then I'm sorry to hear that. But please, stop making dumb posts around here because it doesn't matter where you live. A dumb post is a dumb post.

P.S. Hugo Chavez sucks.

sure...I'll shut up now...

and to be honest I didn't know amazon had those...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Click said:
Lighter and smaller (costs less to ship worldwide). Easier to carry around / more portable, saves shelf space (both for retailers and consumers), no more scratch/swirl marks everywhere, and most importantly, generates more/new interest, hype, and marketing opportunities due to redesign.

And we still haven't seen details and specs to what will be added, changed, taken out, or remain the same, in regard to the components of the Slim. So there could be more advantages nobody really knows about yet.

It should also be much more silent. Less heat > Smaller fan.

Hope the AC stays inside the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom