• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karma said:
I understand the advantages for Sony. I am talking about why a consumer would care.

Easier to carry around? More portable? That makes no sense for a console. Saves shelf space? Really? No way that is a selling point. Just trying to understand the excitement over a slimmer console.

cause the one out now is a big heavy brick of a muthafucka. it dominates the living room. some people may like that, whatever. it doesnt matter. what matters are the cost savings of a slimmer unit: for the consumer AND for sony. so just accept it, daddy-o.

laserbeam

Banned
Loudninja said:
Sony always did the slim modes for all their systems.

Best way to increase installbase just off of half the responses in this thread sony will claim millions of new PS3 owners while they are just repeat buyers.

Goldrusher said:
2rny2af.jpg

Don't panic. Nothing more than the elements from the photos pasted together... Quick'n'dirty.

One thing about the current PS3 is that it's sexy as hell. When that puppy is standing up it looks like it's an added piece of decor to your house more than a console. Here's to hoping the new model keeps that eye candy appeal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AndyD said:
Not if its not heavy. Without an internal power brick like the current model, it may be so light its prone to tip over.

It's meant to be a third lighter..so..if that's true, it may be 3.5kg. Which I think would be enough (?)

I'm gonna see if I can work out thickness any better from the pics. The perspective in some of the shots makes it hard, but if I can find a 'control' near to the edge I'm measuring it should be reasonably accurate.

plus -- and more importantly -- if this slimmer re-branded model is in fact real, it will re-introduce the console with a more focused, experienced vibe and trajectory.

most of you glossed over it because you are rabid gaming monkeys, but the devil is in the details: using that spiderman font? what a confusing signal for sony to send out. it summed up how misguided the ps3 became, dictated more-so by its movie stduio's intentions than perhaps kutargui's original vision. and what was it besides a $600-400 monolith of shiny hardware? you'd be hard-pressed to understand with those wack, artsy tv commercials sony prodcued.

with a re-branded unit, complete with fresh/updated look and a more refined "classic" logo (certainly in line with the 'PS' family of legacy logos) the consumer will will go, "oh. it's a fucking game console. just like the ps2. and it's cheaper. cool. i want one."

not, "uh...whats this, hdmi? why is this thing so fucking big and heavy and cost so much uhhh...how much did you say?"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Spiderman font was great, foo. It was familiar, it was an idea of genius. It's like a subliminal trick.

Click

Banned
painey said:
EVERY Playstation has had text reading for vertical standing since PS2, even the PS2 Slim which probably the absolute minority has standing. They would break tradition for this? Really?

w810tu.png

The "Sony" logo is horizontal. So are all the "features" logos (same with the "fatty" PS2). Only "PS2" and "PlayStation 2" are vertical.

And what "tradition" does Sony have to follow? Their designs are based on whatever makes practical and engineering sense, as well as what they think looks good. There's no "tradition," lol.

Epcott

I actually like that slimline design.

However, I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but I think more people are still more interested in a BC PS3 than a slimmer model.

This is pretty much "meh-ville" here

Edit: lolz @ slimline I meant streamlined (less bulky)

jamesinclair said:
What a great thread

. Page 1:

Page 25:

Page 30:
Release date announced?

Anyway, I wonder what features will be dropped this time.

Meh! If I wasn't banned, I would've been ALL OVER THIS SHIT! I still am! (My first post was in this thread after my unbanning and I only read the first 4 or so pages) Fuck the naysayers, this shit is as legit as it gets!

Oh and nothing will be dropped this time. Whatever they could remove, they did.

WinFonda

laserbeam said:
Best way to increase installbase just off of half the responses in this thread sony will claim millions of new PS3 owners while they are just repeat buyers.
Just think of the repeat business Sony could have if they also introduced some hardware issues that crop up 6-12 months down the line after people have already invested heavily into software. Lure them in with a cheap price tag of the new model, then wait for their investment in the games to be greater than the console itself. A genius plan if I do say so myself.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I will buy another PS3 if a slim comes out. So, you know...money on the trouble Sony.

Edit: Just make sure the HDD is still upgradable.

DieH@rd

Banned
Jaruru said:
any info about other changes are made for the slim?
except for the hdd size and the CPU nm.

We only have pictures of the case. But numbers of "holes" are still the same [well, ON/OFF button for the power supply is missing] :D

Click said:
Way too much.

$250 (if you're lucky) and up.

I'm feeling lucky!

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom/PressReleases/PressRelease.aspx?ID=4478

Designed as drop-in replacements for hard-disk drives (HDDs) in notebook PCs, the initial members in the SanDisk G3 family are SSD C25-G3 and SSD C18-G3 in the standard 2.5” and 1.8” form factors respectively, each available with a SATA-II interface. Available in capacities of 60, 120 and 240GB*, the unit MSRPs are $149, $249 and $499, respectively.

The G3 SSDs are more than five times faster than the fastest 7,200 RPM HDDs and more than twice as fast as SSDs shipping in 2008, clocking in at 40,000 vRPM1 and anticipated sequential performance of 200MB/s read and 140MB/s write3. The G3 SSDs provide a Longterm Data Endurance (LDE) of 160 terabytes written (TBW) for the 240GB version, sufficient for over 100 years of typical user usage. (2,3)

Ofcourse, they are suppose to release mid 2009 (JUST IN TIME FOR PSTHREE-SLIMS!)

By the way, why the heck are we talking about SSD? :p

Jeseus

DieH@rd said:
We only have pictures of the case. But numbers of "holes" are still the same [well, ON/OFF button for the power supply is missing] :D

if its real there will be external power supply like in all SLIMs ...

DieH@rd

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Ofcourse, they are suppose to release mid 2009 (JUST IN TIME FOR PSTHREE-SLIMS!)

Even 60GB ones are too expensive. But who knows how much cheaper they will be when you order few million of those... :)

Goldrusher

Barkley's Justice said:
using that spiderman font? it summed up how misguided the ps3 became, dictated more-so by its movie stduio's intentions than perhaps kutargui's original vision.
Not really. Kutaragi pretty much designed the PS3 around the Spider-Man font. :lol
The creative force behind the design of PS3, Teiyu Goto, has revealed how the Spider-Man font came to be used on PS3 in an interview with the Official PlayStation Magazine.

Goto explained, "Take the PS2 logo - we created it to blend in with the rectangular shape of the console. Personally, I feel very strongly that the logo would not have looked right on PS3.

"If you really look at the PS3 contour carefully, it is rounded when viewing the console in profile. Rather than creating a typography with all the risks that entails, it was wiser to use the one from Spider-Man, for which Sony has the rights.

"It was also the wish of President Kutaragi, who insisted that I use this typography. In fact, the logo was one of the first elements he decided on and the logo may have been the motivating force behind the shape of PS3."

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think this is the best I can do on guesstimating thickness.

The bottom part:

16lla1f.jpg

I modified this to 'extend' the part around the av multi-out slot to the height of the base at its highest point at the back.

The line here for the total height is 3 times the length of the opening itself.

In real life on the current model, the AV multi-out is 10mm high.

That means the base here at the back is 30mm high. (lets assume the base is of even height also, so 30mm high at the front).

Then the top part (closest we have to a head-on shot):

2zywv7k.jpg

Measured at two points the height seems to be ~2.5x the height of the blu-ray lip. On the current model the lip is 5mm high. So that would suggest a height of 12.5mm.

That's at its shortest point. The top part curves. So let's generously assume that at its thickest it's 2x its thinnest point, or 25mm. Perhaps based on the other pics someone might be able to work out a more accurate ratio of thinnest to thickest..but I'm assuming it's 2:1 which I think is generous.

If these two bits are sandwiched together, if there's no intermediate bit, that suggests a total height or 'thickness', at its thickest point, of perhaps 55mm. At its thinnest, perhaps 42.5mm.

The current model is 98mm at its thickest. So perhaps a nearly 50% reduction, which would be a much bigger reduction than seems apparent on the other dimensions!

Let me know if 'i'm doing it wrong'..

Click

Banned
gofreak said:
I think this is the best I can do on guesstimating thickness.

*Stuff*

Mind boggled.

Oh, there will be "intermediate bits" (material) in between the faceplate and backplate.
Just a matter of how much material there will be...

Click

Banned
Jeseus said:

Yeah, the thing is a heavy brick.
It also gets quite hot.
Really annoying to have to find a place to put it and because it's so large, it'd always get dirty/dusty very quick.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Click said:
Mind boggled.

Oh, there will be "intermediate bits" (material) in between the faceplate and backplate.
Just a matter of how much material there will be...
I think on the current model they just sandwich together without a third 'middle bit'.

If there is a middle bit I can't imagine it being more than few mm high..

Also wondering where the lights are on this..maybe if that ps logo is actually backlit as someone suggested earlier, it is used to indicate on/off/blu-ray status. I don't see the leds on the pic of the front bit, but the picture quality isn't very good..

CurlySaysX said:
Not enough Vents.

Not really. When you consider my Macbook has a 45nm CPU and a 65NM GPU with essentially no vents, a slim PS3 might not need many visible ones. Especially if the RSX is shrunk to 45nm as well.

If they do go with an external power supply on this model (hard to tell since in the mold shots it looks like the power cord opening is as large as the current one) it could be very small due to the low power consumption of the device.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Not really. When you consider my Macbook has a 45nm CPU and a 65NM GPU with essentially no vents, a slim PS3 might not need many visible ones. Especially if the RSX is shrunk to 45nm as well.

If they do go with an external power supply on this model (hard to tell since in the mold shots it looks like the power cord opening is as large as the current one) it could be very small due to the low power consumption of the device.

The vents comment is probably in reference to the people who would constantly comment on the amount of vents that the PS3 had when it was first unveiled.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Jeseus said:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x204/RDK333/PS3_Slim_4.png

HDD under BD drive?? ... it will be stupid idea

IIRC , some rumors (also Xun) mentioned something about solid-state drive ( SSD ) solution instead of SATA for PS3 slim

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's practically mocking with the lack of vents.

There's a thin strip around the bottom of it:

PS3_Slim_5.jpg

And then this on the back (the ten little holes on the right are the vents):

PS3_Slim_6.jpg

None on the sides (or this side at least):

PS3_Slim_3.jpg

Must be VERY confident about its thermals.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Goldrusher said:
What's the problem with an hdd under the BD drive ? Vibration ?

I wouldn't think so much vibration as it would make the area hotter. But they're probably using lower speed hdds, and the tray for the hdd and the enclosure for the bd drive are probably designed to isolate them from each other..without knowing what the cooling system looks like also it's hard to say if it's a good or bad idea. It certainly needn't necessarily be a bad idea if they're reasonably isolated from each other and are each sufficiently cooled. (I'd have figured also one would be more concerned for the fooling of the mobo chips than the bd-drive, to a certain extent..).

Goldrusher

gofreak said:
I wouldn't think so much vibration as it would make the area hotter.
Heat is the problem ?

The current PS3 - in vertical position - has the drive above a blazingly hot trio consisting of RSX, Cell and power supply.
In comparison, the hdd is an ice cube.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
gofreak said:
It's practically mocking with the lack of vents.

There's a thin strip around the bottom of it:

Must be VERY confident about its thermals.

prototype PS3 (2005 to GDC 2006 ) also has few vents only on the lower side .

t557x4.jpg

^ see here
playstation_3_rear_full.jpg

^ nothing here

XTERC

From an interview with Kutaragi on PC Impress Watch (June 2006):

It's no secret that the PlayStation 3 is going to cost Sony a fortune to mass produce, but Kutaragi is hopeful that costs can be reduced. To begin with, he said that he expects the Cell chip to adopt a 65-nanometer process sometime next year, allowing it to be reduced in size. Also, the Cell processor will utilize Tranmeta's LongRun power-management technology to keep power consumption as low as possible. Power consumption is of utmost importance to keeping costs down, Kutaragi noted. "If we can't reduce [power consumption]," he stated, "we will never be able to make the PS3 cheap and small."

Finally, Kutaragi talked about how to cool the Cell processor, and judging by his comments, one might think that Sony would make the power supply external for the PlayStation 3, similar to the Xbox 360's infamous power brick, which is almost as tall as the Microsoft console itself.

"We'll use heat pipes and a custom cooling solution, but the methods used will be common," he said. "We definitely aren't using any proprietary methods... We certainly couldn't fit a liquid cooling system [inside the PS3]... We're spending a lot on heat and electromagnetic interference [management]. The power supply could almost be sold separately."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom