• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
HUELEN10 said:
How can you guarantee it? Have connections?

I believe in Sin and he has always been right in the past. Guaranteeing might be a bit too big of a word but it was more of a "DAMN THIS IS DEFINITELY REAL! THIS CANNOT BE FAKE! WHO WANTS A BAN BET" without me asking for a ban bet :lol

JoJo13

Banned
shagg_187 said:
I believe in Sin and he has always been right in the past. Guaranteeing might be a bit too big of a word but it was more of a "DAMN THIS IS DEFINITELY REAL! THIS CANNOT BE FAKE! WHO WANTS A BAN BET" without me asking for a ban bet :lol

Wrong. Sin said this last year before E3.

He's got a good track history, but some of it is bumpy.

Sin said:
This is some of the stuff I have heard recently:

God of War III realtime teaser.

Solid State Drive PS3s.

Plans on PS3 Slim for release as early as Killzone 2 release.

Don't expect much on Final Fantasy XIII but there will be a blowout at TGS, realtime demonstration, and I've been told you better free a LOT of space off your HDD for the install. I've been told a number but I'm afraid to mention it and I want to get a confirmation first because I'm having a hard time believing it myself.

I'll post more rumors as I get them.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
shagg_187 said:
GODDAMN IM BACK! :D feels so good!

In regards of the rumor of the slim, I can guarantee that this isn't fake. This can't be fake and this will definitely be unveiled at E3. Sin's September release makes alot of sense since thats the tentative release month for Uncharted 2. If this model is getting a $50 price drop then the older model will have a $100 price-drop to move the units from the shelves. To add a little spice to it, It'll be released with a PSN game as well (my guess would be Wipeout HD).

In short, BELIEVE! :D
the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-20080528072713396_640w.jpg

Crisis

Banned
shagg_187 said:
No he hasn't. Still want to make a ban bet?

if this shit is real, expect it to be on shelves shortly. not in september. what would heappen then is everyone would just wait. if it's real then they are hitting shelves mad soon. nahmeen??

Sin

JoJo13 said:
This is some of the stuff I have heard recently:

1. God of War III realtime teaser.

2. Solid State Drive PS3s.

3. Plans on PS3 Slim for release as early as Killzone 2 release.

Don't expect much on Final Fantasy XIII but there will be a blowout at TGS, realtime demonstration, and I've been told you better free a LOT of space off your HDD for the install. I've been told a number but I'm afraid to mention it and I want to get a confirmation first because I'm having a hard time believing it myself.

I'll post more rumors as I get them.

1. God of War III realtime trailer was in circulation internally before the CG teaser was shown.

2. Solid State Drives were being researched, and still are, as an alternative storage medium for PS3 at Samsung.

3. As I have already stated, release schedules for the Slim PS3 were all over the place, they changed many many times.

Edit. My E3'07 predictions in comparison:

Sony

10 - PSP - Redesign revealed for a September '07 release.
10 - PSP - Official cable for connection with TV is revealed.
10 - PS3 - Pricedrop + 40GB SKU plans revealed, for release in October.
10 - PS3 - Rumble controller is revealed.
10 - PSP - Online Store to begin operation to coincide with new PSP release.

As I said, plans change all the time. I just reveal what I know.

pakkit

Banned
If this has PS2 BC, a waffle iron, Halo 4 and is $199 I'll buy it.

You have the great library now, Sony. It'd be a perfect time to reveal this new SKU with a more attractive price point.

Gaf needs to stop hoping for BC. It's gone and it will never come back as hardware feature inside a PS3. It's not like Sony has found a magical way to put the PS2 guts inside a PS3 at no cost. People, they dropped it because to drive down cost. Get over it.

So I popped my head in close to the start of the thread to see people saying "lolz what a crappy fake" to now talking about whether they'll buy a second ps3 for the slim? When did GAF realize (or at least strongly start to believe) this is the real deal?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
starchild excalibur said:
So I popped my head in close to the start of the thread to see people saying "lolz what a crappy fake" to now talking about whether they'll buy a second ps3 for the slim? When did GAF realize (or at least strongly start to believe) this is the real deal?

voltron said:
why are people talking like this is real now? Any links to prove this or is just some self proclaimed insider?

I think the sequence of increased plausibility happened like this:

1) People started looking at it more closely
2) The realisation that making boxes and case moulds etc. seems a lot of work for a fake
3) The realisation that the context of the pictures - the environment - matches in detail that which we've seen of PS3 assembly environments before (see earlier in the thread for comparisons)
4) Prior recent history of leaks like this from chinese plants (one of the recent psp revisions, ipod/iphone leaks etc.)
5) The sudden removal of the thread on the original chinese message boards once western and japanese sites picked up on it (some say because of a cease and desist from maintek, a scea supplier, but I don't know if that's confirmed)
6) A comment in english and in chinese on another chinese blog concerning these pictures, claimed to be from Maintek, asking them to remove the photos as they were property of Maintek.
7) General closer examination of the casing and its dimensions, which show everything to be 'in place' and to fit, and the apparent new dimensions to be realistic, rather than overly slim (something a faker might be inclined to do..make the thing too small, as we've seen in previous ps3 slim fakes)
8) And then, to a lesser extent, Sony's response which went from "there are currently no plans for a redesign" the day before to "we do not comment on rumours and speculation, thanks for asking" when asked about these photos.

In short I think what's lending it credibility is that there isn't any obvious giveaway here that it's a fake, as normally is the case, and that if it were a fake, someone went to an awful lot of trouble.

If this is true I would expect corroboration to appear in one of the trademark/patent/fcc databases reasonably soon.. that would seal the deal.

voltron

Ok, so my only concern was that it was one of those cheap 50 games in 1 knock off things form Taiwan. Thats obviously been proved as not the case?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
voltron said:
Ok, so my only concern was that it was one of those cheap 50 games in 1 knock off things form Taiwan. Thats obviously been proved as not the case?

Well, I always figured knock-offs like that tend not to use actual official branding and logos (and controllers). In other words they tend to look more like this:

e0r0n5.jpg

Than this:

PS3_Slim_2.jpg

It's reasonable to be sceptical. I'm taking a bit of a leap in thinking this is true, but I just have a feeling it is.

Zaptruder

Banned
JoJo13 said:
Wrong. Sin said this last year before E3.

He's got a good track history, but some of it is bumpy.

(It seems to me as though) he's as insider as insiders get. Even the top brass can come up with ideas and be serious about them, but for whatever reason never see them come to fruition.

gofreak said:

2) The realisation that making boxes and case moulds etc. seems a lot of work for a fake
3) The realisation that the context of the pictures - the environment - matches in detail that which we've seen of PS3 assembly environments before (see earlier in the thread for comparisons)
4) Prior recent history of leaks like this from chinese plants (one of the recent psp revisions, ipod/iphone leaks etc.)
5) The sudden removal of the thread on the original chinese message boards once western and japanese sites picked up on it (some say because of a cease and desist from maintek, a scea supplier, but I don't know if that's confirmed)
6) A comment in english and in chinese on another chinese blog concerning these pictures, claimed to be from Maintek, asking them to remove the photos as they were property of Maintek.
7) General closer examination of the casing and its dimensions, which show everything to be 'in place' and to fit, and the apparent new dimensions to be realistic, rather than overly slim (something a faker might be inclined to do..make the thing too small, as we've seen in previous ps3 slim fakes)
8) And then, to a lesser extent, Sony's response which went from "there are currently no plans for a redesign" the day before to "we do not comment on rumours and speculation, thanks for asking" when asked about these photos.

In short I think what's lending it credibility is that there isn't any obvious giveaway here that it's a fake, as normally is the case, and that if it were a fake, someone went to an awful lot of trouble.

If this is true I would expect corroboration to appear in one of the trademark/patent/fcc databases reasonably soon.. that would seal the deal.
gofreak said:
Well, I always figured knock-offs like that tend not to use actual official branding and logos (and controllers). In other words they tend to look more like this:

http://i42.tinypic.com/e0r0n5.jpg[IMG]

Than this:

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/Wollan/PS3_Slim_2.jpg[IMG]

It's reasonable to be sceptical. I'm taking a bit of a leap in thinking this is true, but I just have a feeling it is.[/QUOTE]

Ditto for every word you said.

We've seen mockups but we have never seen a mockup this believable with packaging and everything. If this indeed is fake then bravo, Sony should hire whoever created this mockup cause he certain knows his circuits boards, models, molding, photoshop, packaging and whatnot.

Also, when a company tries to give a much detailed or different explanation than "We don't comment on rumors and speculations" then it's mostly true.

voltron

good point re the cheap knock offs.

And holy shit that box really is convincing. The more you look at it. Not impossible that someone mocked up a hoax, but it looks pretty good to me.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
gofreak said:

Thanks for the wrap up, it certainly sounds plausible when you put it that way. I guess I was hoping for it to be fake because I'm not too thrilled about how it looks.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I think the more interesting bit about this whole thing is that the new waggle controller ain't coming anytime soon. Or at least Sony doesn't plan to bundle it with the PS3.

TTP said:
I think the more interesting bit about this whole thing is that the new waggle controller ain't coming anytime soon. Or at least Sony doesn't plan to bundle it with the PS3.

I'd say that's the best part of it.

Machado

Sin said:
1. God of War III realtime trailer was in circulation internally before the CG teaser was shown.

2. Solid State Drives were being researched, and still are, as an alternative storage medium for PS3 at Samsung.

3. As I have already stated, release schedules for the Slim PS3 were all over the place, they changed many many times.

Edit. My E3'07 predictions in comparison:

Sony

10 - PSP - Redesign revealed for a September '07 release.
10 - PSP - Official cable for connection with TV is revealed.
10 - PS3 - Pricedrop + 40GB SKU plans revealed, for release in October.
10 - PS3 - Rumble controller is revealed.
10 - PSP - Online Store to begin operation to coincide with new PSP release.

As I said, plans change all the time. I just reveal what I know.

what have you heard about BC on slim?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SolidSnakex said:
I'd say that's the best part of it.

:lol

I wouldn't have expected any new controller to be 'enforced' as the standard, like the transition to dualshock. It's a bit late in the generation for that.

A peripheral is still possible of course. Although I have increasing doubts about that. I think that last rumour was probably just an echo from the patent that last popped up.

slider

I know it won't happen but I'd love a PSEye in there. Infact maybe intergrated into the HW itself (although it's not a laptop so... yeah).

Blueblur1

DieH@rd said:
I just listened to 1up podcast, and everyone exept Garnett laughed and called it an uber fake.
I would think that they already know whether its fake or not. And if it isn't I think some of them sort of have to act like its fake so they don't piss off Sony. At the end of the day, these guys all have to abide by NDAs and even if this isn't covered they wouldn't like to piss off Sony. I'm sure they want to be able to cover everything Sony shows at e3 and junk.

Of course, everything I just typed just popped into my mind second ago. I could be way off base.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
voltron said:

And holy shit that box really is convincing. The more you look at it. Not impossible that someone mocked up a hoax, but it looks pretty good to me.

Plus, if it is real it can't be too far away if they are already printing the boxes.

hirokazu

voltron said:

Yeah, that's one of the most convincing evidence of it being real for me. It looks completely believable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom