• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The lawyer brigade letters should confirm those pics' legitimacy for all the remaining naysayers. Shit's as good as confirmed.

I have no idea how anyone is still in denial over the existence of a PS3slim :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
JeFfRey said:
Which I wonder, if they wanted to make money, why they never offered a PS BC module, a USB hub, a memory stick adapter. A lot of people like official accessories, but they never made them available.

Its not that easy. A PS2 "module" may not work. For one it may be more expensive than paying 100 bucks for a brand new PS2. Or 30-50 for a used one. Also, I am not sure if a Sata or USB 2 interface would even have enough bandwidth or be fast enough.

A memory stick adapter? You mean a memory stick? You plug them straight into USB ports, there is no adapter.

USB hub, here is a SOny one for 8 bucks.
http://www.cellularfactory.com/laptop/SONY/4/33682/95425/

Just because its not branded Playstation it does not mean Sony doesn't sell it.

On the other hand, the point is that the console is pretty much all inclusive. Otherwise, its very universal, which is the way it should be. Any USB stick works, any USB drive, any hub, bluetooth or US headset, steering wheel.... you get the point. I would hate to be locked into proprietary crap.

Oni Jazar said:
They cannot raise the price again with the Slim. PS3 @ $399 days are numbered. Whether they want to admit it or not.
Look at it this way: the Slim costs less to make (that would be the whole point of the redesign), so it could be priced lower than the current models. But from the pictures it seems to have all the features they do--wifi, same video/audio jacks--and a larger HDD. So the PS3 fat has to be cheaper at all times. Due to manufacturing costs, $100 is probably the biggest cut they can do. This leaves them with two basic options:

1. Drop the price of the fat $100 and the Slim by $50. This achieves your "never $399 again" ideal, but loses money pretty badly. Each fat sold costs them $140 and each Slim would probably about break even.
2. Drop the price of the fat $100 and introduce the Slim as a bundle at the current price. Those bundled items justify the price, but would cost Sony little. So then they lose $140 on each fat sold, but make about $50 on each Slim, which helps defray the costs. Then when the fats are gone you unbundle the Slim and drop it $50 or $100 to continue sales impetus.

AndyD said:
A memory stick adapter? You mean a memory stick? You plug them straight into USB ports, there is no adapter.

Memory stick= the proprietary flash memory format for Sony's portable hardware like the PSP, their version of SD cards basically. You're talking about a USB flash drive.

Raistlin

TTP said:
If anything, Sony might be forced to drop price and announce PS3 slim sooner than initially planned. :D

I wonder how many people will hold on buying a PS3 now that they know a slim is in the making.

The mass market isn't going to know anything about this. The only people that know are hardcore gamers hanging out in forums like these, and they have either already bought a PS3, or have already made a decision at what price-point they plan to buy in.

spwolf

Liabe Brave said:
Look at it this way: the Slim costs less to make (that would be the whole point of the redesign), so it could be priced lower than the current models. But from the pictures it seems to have all the features they do--wifi, same video/audio jacks--and a larger HDD. So the PS3 fat has to be cheaper at all times. Due to manufacturing costs, $100 is probably the biggest cut they can do. This leaves them with two basic options:

1. Drop the price of the fat $100 and the Slim by $50. This achieves your "never $399 again" ideal, but loses money pretty badly. Each fat sold costs them $140 and each Slim would probably about break even.
2. Drop the price of the fat $100 and introduce the Slim as a bundle at the current price. Those bundled items justify the price, but would cost Sony little. So then they lose $140 on each fat sold, but make about $50 on each Slim, which helps defray the costs. Then when the fats are gone you unbundle the Slim and drop it $50 or $100 to continue sales impetus.

3. Wait until you have sold most of your PS3 stock and until you have built enough of PS3's slims to satisfy dmeand...

duk

Banned
I just don't see how Sony can drop PS3 price more than $50 in their current situation. They are so stick between rock n hard place.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Memory stick= the proprietary flash memory format for Sony's portable hardware like the PSP, their version of SD cards basically. You're talking about a USB flash drive.

You are right. Then again there are Sony memory stick adapters. And Sony flash drives. My point was that not everything needs to be Playstation branded to sell.

That is the point of universality of open formats. And if they brand stuff Playstation and overprice it and product place it next to the PS3 on the game isle, people will bitch they are getting misled into purchasing that stuff when non branded stuff works the same.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What we can all agree on is they realllllly should put a cable in there that can carry an HD signal. I'd bet half of the users hook it up like MrHicks.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I just don't see how Sony can drop PS3 price more than $50 in their current situation. They are so stick between rock n hard place.

They can. If they almost break even on today's PS3 and the slim is a 50-75 price reduction. Then they can pass than 50-75 directly to the consumer.

Their goal is millions of sales in the short run, because it results in tons of profit later on games and accessories and PSN sales.

spwolf said:
3. Wait until you have sold most of your PS3 stock and until you have built enough of PS3's slims to satisfy dmeand...
This would absolutely minimize Sony's financial hit, but without a price cut it could take several months before the fat would be gone and Sony could start selling the Slim at a lower price. That would put them rather far through their fiscal year to get a sufficient sales ramp to match the 13m target they've set.

Also, it's just plain hard as hell to empty shelves evenly across regions, much less across stores. If there's no continuous transition to the Slim, Sony could incur high shipping charges keeping stock balanced, which cuts into the money-saving aspect that might make this third option desirable.

spwolf

Liabe Brave said:
This would absolutely minimize Sony's financial hit, but without a price cut it could take several months before the fat would be gone and Sony could start selling the Slim at a lower price. That would put them rather far through their fiscal year to get a sufficient sales ramp to match the 13m target they've set.

Also, it's just plain hard as hell to empty shelves evenly across regions, much less across stores. If there's no continuous transition to the Slim, Sony could incur high shipping charges keeping stock balanced, which cuts into the money-saving aspect that might make this third option desirable.

as we heard, Slim isnt coming until September... plenty of time. And we saw in their financial report, they reduced inventory compared to year before...

dolemite

I don't see why Sony has to follow that 13 million projection. They are famous for not meeting their projections almost all the time and they had to revise their first year PS3 projection twice.

JoJo13

Banned
dolemite said:
I don't see why Sony has to follow that 13 million projection. They are famous for not meeting their projections almost all the time and they had to revise their first year PS3 projection twice.

They exceeded their projection last year.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
duk said:

The PS3 Slim should be profitable since smaller means less stuff to produce. I could see them dropping the current models down $50 to clear up stock, then release this slim model (which is profit) in October for $350.

When FF13 or GT5 comes out, just price drop it again.

JoJo13

Banned
dolemite said:
By how much? 90k or something.

And? The point was, that they were pretty close to their forecast last year.

The first year of any console is the hardest to predict. After that, it becomes much more predictable.

AndyD

aka andydumi
dolemite said:
By how much? 90k or something.

The point is its roughly spot on. A few percent (.5 million or so) up/down is nothing. That's why its a projection. If they were up/down by millions, 10-30% that's a problem.

dolemite

JoJo13 said:
And? The point was, that they were pretty close to their forecast last year.

The first year of any console is the hardest to predict. After that, it becomes much more predictable.
It's predictable if the price remains the same, which is why they nailed the last one. Once you introduce a price cut/new model, the expectations can be all over the place.

PS3 photos result in Cease and Desist ORders from Taiwanese Manufacturing Company:

"Late last week, we posted what appeared to be the first pictures of the PLAYSTATION 3 "Slim". Taiwan-based attorney Li Mo & Associates contacted us, potentially giving credence to the validity of the pictures.

In their email, the firm stated that these "trade secrets" had been posted online and demanded that the images be taken down "immediately" in a cease-and-desist. However, this legal notice did not come from Sony, who still has yet to comment on the images."

EDIT: nvm. beaten.

spwolf

dolemite said:

well they dont have to follow anything, but if they do, their stock goes up, if they dont, their stock goes down and someone gets fired... :lol

Billy Fookchops

Neo Member
Liabe Brave said:
Each fat sold costs them $140 and each Slim would probably about break even.
Wasn't it last week that SCEI said that the current loss was 10% of the unit price? Unless you're being taken dry & sideways by your local GameStop (you *didn't* pay $1400 for your PS3, did you?!), this would seem to be around $40 to me.

Gives them lots of opportunity to reduce the price a bit ($50->$75), and either break even or continue to make a small loss in order to increase sales

thuway

I just don't understand GAF sometimes. Well-known PS3 trollers jump into this thread and instead of applauding Sony for trying to cut the price, throw the "I just don't see how Sony can afford to do this," curveball. Do people really hate the console that much? :lol

As for sales-age Sony fans, this is the move they have been waiting for. Obviously Microsoft will cut price / bundle up to counter this, but lets be realistic, $299 is pretty close to a 2009 mainstream price, and even my most diehard Xbox 360 friends have said they would bite at this price.

The only thing I worry about is if Sony will fix the firmware in time. To me, that has been the biggest hindrance of all. The clock, the lack of voice messaging / cross game chat, and the super buggy in-game XMB is what has led me to play my multiplat games on the Xbox 360.

DrXym

JeFfRey said:
Which I wonder, if they wanted to make money, why they never offered a PS BC module, a USB hub, a memory stick adapter. A lot of people like official accessories, but they never made them available.

I doubt hardware BC will ever come back. More likely if it does re-appear it will be software only and I wouldn't put it past Sony to either:

a) Make it available on a game by game basis so they can sell PS2 titles through PSN
b) Charge $20 to non-BC PS3 owners for the privilege of enabling emulation
c) Both

They already have the firmware / CPU emulation nailed for a long time. The software assisted BC is generally excellent. I expect the major challenge is emulating the GS. It almost certainly requires profiling games to see how they hit the hardware and then producing various rendering strategies to cope.

At best it means emulation is going to be spotty. At worst it may mean only PSN games are supported with emulation bundled into the game much like PS1 titles on the PSP were done. I recall a God of War 3 poll asking if people would like 1 & 2 as bonus content in the collectors edition so maybe Sony are pretty close to a solution.

As for other peripherals, yes I don't understand it either. Personally I'm happy that the console uses USB and other standards meaning I can pick and choose within reason.

Dina

As someone who's interest in the PS3 is slowly increasing, I'll be gladly waiting to see what will happen with the pricepoint of the console.

In any case, ~380€ for the console when compared to the X360 is too much. I wonder how much it'll drop.

thuway said:
I just don't understand GAF sometimes. Well-known PS3 trollers jump into this thread and instead of applauding Sony for trying to cut the price, throw the "I just don't see how Sony can afford to do this," curveball. Do people really hate the console that much? :lol

As for sales-age Sony fans, this is the move they have been waiting for. Obviously Microsoft will cut price / bundle up to counter this, but lets be realistic, $299 is pretty close to a 2009 mainstream price, and even my most diehard Xbox 360 friends have said they would bite at this price.

The only thing I worry about is if Sony will fix the firmware in time. To me, that has been the biggest hindrance of all. The clock, the lack of voice messaging / cross game chat, and the super buggy in-game XMB is what has led me to play my multiplat games on the Xbox 360.

Are your in game XMB and mine the same?

acm2000

Billy Fookchops said:
Wasn't it last week that SCEI said that the current loss was 10% of the unit price? Unless you're being taken dry & sideways by your local GameStop (you *didn't* pay $1400 for your PS3, did you?!), this would seem to be around $40 to me.

Gives them lots of opportunity to reduce the price a bit ($50->$75), and either break even or continue to make a small loss in order to increase sales

he said after $100 price drop on old ps3 model, which would be $140

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
1-D_FTW said:
I think it's overstated. Are the hardcore really planning to buy systems in the middle of the summer without a price decrease? If they really wanted one, they would probably have bough one already.

June-ish sales, I bet, are mostly birthday presents bought by parents. They're gonna be totally in the dark about this. And even if they weren't, wouldn't care.

Late reply but here u go:

The point is there are people out there (and here on GAF) that have been reached by this PS3 slim news. And some of them might hold on on the purchase of the system because of this. Even if it's just 1 guy every 1000, this is still a problem for Sony.

dreamcastmaster said:
Correct, the only group that would be able to create such a fake would be a manufacturer. If microsoft wanted to spoil next months sales of PS3 this kind of doubt would make people think twice, backwards compatability and cheaper? I'll hold off on that purchase.

I think this is real.

Yup, this is why Sony want to silence it.

DrXym

dreamcastmaster said:
Yup, this is why Sony want to silence it.

Besides if it were a fake, its gained so much traction that Sony would immediately come out and deny it strongly, loudly and categorically. Even if they were making their own slim model they'd still come out with a strong statement on the matter. After all, phony rumours of a slim still have the potential to hurt their sales.

C&Ds or not, the fact that they're not denying it more or less says everything you need to know. What would be interesting is to know when they're going to be announced and when they'll actually turn up in stores.

bizatch

Ponn01 said:
How is this thread still going? Inconceivable!

wallace-shawn-vizzini.jpg

jett said:
If it doesn't then there's something fucked with either your PS3 or your FF7 discs.

It wasn't listed as a working title on the list of BC titles at the SCEE website. Not sure if that page still exists since they dropped PS2 BC.

I think people are looking at the pic of the top half of the casing and think its fake based on the fact it looks ridiculous. However, the pic on the box looks pretty sharp.

Anyone else notice it says 120GB/GO? So are they going to market this as the PS3 GO?

As for PS2 BC through emulation... usually the rule of thumb is you need 10x more processing power to do accurate emulation. And looking at the hardware the PS3 CPU/SPEs are about 10x more powerful, but it would still be difficult to do unless you have great emulation authors.

On the other hand, Microsoft did hire one of the best emulation authors out there (MAME, Connectix VGS) in Aaron Giles and they were able to get a 733 MHz CPU emulated pretty well on a 3.2 GHz CPU which is insane. People don't realize what a technical feat the 360 backwards compatibility is.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
infinityBCRT said:
I think people are looking at the pic of the top half of the casing and think its fake based on the fact it looks ridiculous. However, the pic on the box looks pretty sharp.

Anyone else notice it says 120GB/GO? So are they going to market this as the PS3 GO?

GO is french for GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom