• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
Totobeni said:
hell what are you ? the ultimate Super Lazy ? that post only two pages ago ( p 33 if you uses 50 posts per page option )

Damn, i thought it was some other thread [infamous demo thread maybe], and not this one. :D

Thanks.

androvsky

pseudocaesar said:
Yeh it is pretty obvious that the 30% sales increase yet forecast of a loss is indicative of a price drop. I guess thats just anticipation for the low price and clearing out of old ps3 stock, I hope they have hardware profitability from the get go for the new slim.

Pretty sure they do, even after the price drop.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
androvsky said:
Pretty sure they do, even after the price drop.

Applying that Sony's comment about Sony taking a 10% loss on hardware currently to US figures, and assuming they achieved a 30% cost reduction on the new model (purely plucking that out out of thin air - basing it on the supposed one third weight reduction on this unit), then they'd almost be breaking even at $299 on this model (30% reduction over the current cost would be $308).

I dunno if 30% is a reasonable expectation though. 20% would mean a cost of ~$350... and perhaps a retail price of $349..

Mindlog

Slim PS3 update: mysterious Chinese firm issues a cease and desist... to Engadget

:eek:

Am I the only one that finds it amusing which way the 'IP protection' protection claims are flying in this particular case :]

Barakov

Mindlog said:
Slim PS3 update: mysterious Chinese firm issues a cease and desist... to Engadget

Am I the only one that finds it amusing which way the 'IP protection' protection claims are flying in this particular case :]

Well that settles that. It looks more and more likely at this point. As Wollan pointed out earlier in the thread we probably won't be hearing about this at E3 unfortunately. :/

DMeisterJ

Banned
Mindlog said:

This is getting more and more real as the days progress. Like I said earlier, unless this is the biggest hoax in the history of the internet, or a really big coup for the internet as a whole.

garrickk

Why a cease & desist order on fuzzy "spy" shots that more people than not think are fake?

It's either still fake, these companies have no clue how the internet works, big design changes are still planned, or this is orchestrated viral marketing.

3rdman

From Engadget...
ps3-leak-box-1.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well, with Engadget getting one, we can at least rule out the (however slim) possibility of ***** making theirs up :p

And the firm in question is a real firm, so if someone were pretending to be that firm..it would be kind of risky.

One of these reporters should have asked the firm some questions before publishing their letters.. like, at least, who their client is. Even small bits of info like that could help us put the pieces together.

skybaby

gofreak said:
Well, with Engadget getting one, we can at least rule out the (however slim) possibility of ***** making theirs up :p

And the firm in question is a real firm, so if someone were pretending to be that firm..it would be kind of risky.

One of these reporters should have asked the firm some questions before publishing their letters.. like, at least, who their client is. Even small bits of info like that could help us put the pieces together.
is ***** s.p0ng? Damn Stefan must be laughing maniacally

[Nintex]

gofreak said:
Here's another site that got a c&d:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/05/ps3_slim_weve_got_a_cease_and_decease.html

I'm curious if 1up recieved one :p

Whoever these lawyers are are incredibly naive. I'd say Sony is furious with the contracted manufacturer for sending their lawyers out like this.
I think Sony asked them to deal with this situation and these leaks, and the press decided to go pubilc with it. It pretty much confirms all the rumors and it's quite a messy situation, maybe Sony is going to pull a Saturn at E3. "PS3 Slim, in stores right now for $399!".

Click

Banned
WTF? Why isn't NeoGAF getting a C&D request / letter?
This thread needs to be locked or deleted ASAP! :lol

The funniest part about those letters is the fact that they requested for the C&D letter to be confidential, lol.
Yeah, I'm sure these websites give a rat's ass about your letter or the C&D request if they've already posted those photos and 30 other sites also have them posted.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Click said:
WTF? Why isn't NeoGAF getting a C&D request / letter?
This thread needs to be locked or deleted ASAP! :lol

The funniest part about those letters is the fact that they requested for the C&D letter to be confidential, lol.
Yeah, I'm sure these websites give a rat's ass about your letter or the C&D request if they've already posted those photos and 30 other sites also have them posted.

well because this is just "forum" and I guess ..

or maybe Evilore still playing that funky Uwe Boll game and forgot to read his mailbox ?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm getting the feeling Sony didn't plan to announce the slim at E3. They probably wanted to use the E3 hype to sell the current models and then release the new one. Now people will just wait for the new model and the current one will stay on the shelves.

Tideas

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I'm getting the feeling Sony didn't plan to announce the slim at E3. They probably wanted to use the E3 hype to sell the current models and then release the new one. Now people will just wait for the new model and the current one will stay on the shelves.

no they won't. 90% of the game buying population probably don't even know such "leak" exists. They will continue to buy their PS3s happily.

They should call this PS3 the PS3 RE.

Then they can use the RE tagline as like a marketing campaign.

REimagine. REvisit. REmember.

Like, do a commercial that says, "Remember how much you love your old PS1 games (show like, Gran Turismo or something). Remember how much fun it was? Now, it's time to Revisit them again (Show Gran Turismo 5: Prologue). REimagine everything.

Man, I hsould work in the marketing department.

Mrbob

If this thing is real (looking more and more likely) I'm sure sony didn't plan to announce it at E3. A price drop would be incoming to move current inventory, and then they would want to announce the slim. They don't want to be stockpiled with 80GB systems.

Speaking of the slim, I notice it has a 120gb hdd. Which will be fine for practical purposes. I'm still looking at a new hdd right now, and I might just sell my current 60gb on ebay (still going for a decent amount and I don't really play ps2 anymore) and grab the new slim with its bigger hdd.

neptunes

Ether_Snake said:
That's probably the case

They're in for a long summer (100k redux?)

If any of the big websites catch on (Washington post, cnn etc..) Sony will probably be pissed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Machado said:
what have I missed since about 10 hours ago???

is it confirmed? is it denied? is it almost there?

I guess what might be new for you is that various western sites have now received cease-and-desist letters regarding their publication of the photos from a law firm in Taiwan, representing an unnamed company. Many assume that company is the manufacturer where the leak was.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Tideas said:
no they won't. 90% of the game buying population probably don't even know such "leak" exists. They will continue to buy their PS3s happily.

Like, do a commercial that says, "Remember how much you love your old PS1 games (show like, Gran Turismo or something). Remember how much fun it was? Now, it's time to Revisit them again (Show Gran Turismo 5: Prologue). REimagine everything.

But people who loved GT1 probably have PS3s anyway.

I think it should be more like "Remember when the PS3 was selling for $499? Well now it's selling for $299! And it's smaller, but with a bigger hard drive!!!"

Machado

Tideas said:

remember??? WTF is this shit??? reember what?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JasonMCG said:
Wonder what kind of trade-in program the GameCrazy's and GameStop's will offer.

Probably something similar to trade in your old system get an extra $50 if you put it toward the slim PS3.

Mrbob

Tideas said:

office-space-pic.jpg

"That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom."

"Yes, this is horrible, this idea."

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You know what, why doesn't Sony market its PS3 like a Dell PC?

"Dude! You got the new PS3! And look at that! It has a Blu-Ray player so you can play your Blu-Ray movies AND regular DVDs and enjoy a huge selection of awesome games, it can connect the internet so you can browse your favorite websites, and it even has a bigger hard drive! 120 gigabytes! That's like, 100 movies, or 40000 songs! And you know you can download high definition movies, TV shows, movie trailers, games and all sorts of other cool stuff directly from the Playstation Network, even while you're playing your favorite online game with your buddies!

Maaaaaan, you're lucky you got a P-S-3!"

BAM! Millions of sales.

edgefusion

Tideas said:

If your marketing campaign means it'll have PS1/2 BC then I'm in.

[Nintex] said:
I think Sony asked them to deal with this situation and these leaks, and the press decided to go pubilc with it. It pretty much confirms all the rumors and it's quite a messy situation, maybe Sony is going to pull a Saturn at E3. "PS3 Slim, in stores right now for $399!".
No, apparently most people outside of this thread still think the leak is of a PS3 knockoff or a Photoshop and Sony will never drop the price of the PS3 no matter. So Sony is safe for now.

obaidr

Banned
this is all a big mega pre E3 PR campaign by sony. They told you they gonna be bug on E3 press conference this year and now the started the hype-train.

Tideas said:

lol

Ether_Snake said:
You know what, why doesn't Sony market its PS3 like a Dell PC?

"Dude! You got the new PS3! And look at that! It has a Blu-Ray player so you can play your Blu-Ray movies AND regular DVDs and enjoy a huge selection of awesome games, it can connect the internet so you can browse your favorite websites, and it even has a bigger hard drive! 120 gigabytes! That's like, 100 movies, or 40000 songs! And you know you can download high definition movies, TV shows, movie trailers, games and all sorts of other cool stuff directly from the Playstation Network, even while you're playing your favorite online game with your buddies!

Maaaaaan, you're lucky you got a P-S-3!"

BAM! Millions of sales.

They should allow you to build your own custom ps3 with plenty of options. Bigger HDD, WiFi, EE+GS chip, etc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
H_Prestige said:
They should allow you to build your own custom ps3 with plenty of options. Bigger HDD, WiFi, EE+GS chip, etc.

Too expensive. A PC is made of removeable/interchangeable parts, a console is not.

Remember when we were on top of the industry? So do we! Man, that seems like a generation ago. Buy the new slim PS3! Please, please, please, please, please, pleeeeeaaase. If you do, we'll remember you always.

Love,
Sony

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
AndyD said:
Too expensive. A PC is made of removeable/interchangeable parts, a console is not.

Which I wonder, if they wanted to make money, why they never offered a PS BC module, a USB hub, a memory stick adapter. A lot of people like official accessories, but they never made them available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom