• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh my goodness gracious guys wow never though that it would come that i by obligation needed to change my avatar holy god well i did it, hopefully you guys can please stop calling me names and stop discriminating.

hesis

Neo Member
ajcastillo said:
oh my goodness gracious guys wow never though that it would come that i by obligation needed to change my avatar holy god well i did it, hopefully you guys can please stop calling me names and stop discriminating.

lolwut.

ajcastillo said:

lolwut + 1

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
vicissitudes said:
:lol :lol

Even though I also have 100 posts per page, I still sometimes convert it into 50 posts per page in my head.

weird =P

pseudocaesar said:
64 you nut.

sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

ajcastillo said:

wow thx

cakefoo

ajcastillo said:
you've got a point...

ajcastillo said:

Good. Now fade into obscurity as the only reason anyone responded to you was because of that avatar.

Shins

Banned
So when is the Gamescom three hour conference extravaganza scheduled for?

Sentry said:
False, but qhatever you say junior.
I hope you're attempting to pull an AstroLad here, but I think that'd give you an undue amount of credit. As such, I'd really, really like to just call you a moron and move on, but that'd me an "ass hole" and that just won't do!

Shins said:

I hope you're attempting to pull an AstroLad here, but I think that'd give you an undue amount of credit. As such, I'd really, really like to just call you a moron and move on, but that'd me an "ass hole" and that just won't do!
:lol

VegaShinra

Shins said:

The conf for Sony is August 18th.

noah111

Still Alive
makingmusic476 said:
You were a junior until yesterday! You only started posting on the 15th!

Nice spelling, btw. :p
makingmusic476 said:
Looks like there's a grammar/typo flu going around true :lol

Anyway, he could be a member for all I care, post was pure hilarity is all.. Thankfully most of the juniors seem to be good members, though there are still some dumbass_ ones that get through :p probably get banned sooner or later.

Anyone want to make some (NON BAN!) bets on when this is going to be announced/release?

thejared

I see this new PS3 and a feller named Drake sharing a birth, entering this world hands clasped for that when they arrive, they'll know that they didn't get here alone, and that they shall always have each other.

it'll be a November to remember.

thejared said:
I see this new PS3 and a feller named Drake sharing a birth, entering this world hands clasped for that when they arrive, they'll know that they didn't get here alone, and that they shall always have each other.

it'll be a November to remember.

Man you really like to ham it up everywhere you go.

Hypecube

Banned
Well, Back on the topic of the PS3 slim.

What are the chances of seeing improvements other in size and weight?

Faster Bluray drive?
Back to 4 USB ports?
New firmware to launch with the Slim?

Also: will Cell and RSX ever be fab'ed on a single die together? Is it even possible?

spwolf

makingmusic476 said:
You were a junior until yesterday! You only started posting on the 15th!

Nice spelling, btw. :p

stop mocking juniors and lets go on with serious business here... so PS3 slim... hmm.... ehm...hm... juniors!

Hypecube said:

Faster Bluray drive?
Back to 4 USB ports?

Also: will Cell and RSX ever be fab'ed on a single die together? Is it even possible?
you mean bigger ps3

cakefoo

spwolf said:
stop mocking juniors and lets go on with serious business here... so PS3 slim... hmm.... ehm...hm... juniors!
Ugh, it's like they think that if they're a big enough ASS, they can appear intelligent.

noah111

Still Alive
Hypecube said:

Faster Bluray drive?
Back to 4 USB ports?

Probably no to the first two (2 USB ports only), but a FW launch prior is likely, perhaps announced at GC and available shortly after their conference.

As for the Cell/RSX probably smaller, not sure what specific sizes though.

SniperWolf said:
what happend with ign thing...is it true
It was a joke, confirmed..

jsnepo

I hope the slim PS3's PSU is still autovolt just like old ones. I have a feeling it won't be. Two USB ports is fine with me as I only use one port for my PS Eye.

Hypecube

Banned
Sentry said:
Probably no to the first two (2 USB ports only), but a FW launch prior is likely, perhaps announced at GC and available shortly after their conference.

As for the Cell/RSX probably smaller, not sure what specific sizes though.

Yeah Most likely it'll just be a Smaller lighter PS3,

But each new PSP iteration was improved over the previous model, better screen, more ram ect... It would be a nice surprise if Sony pulled something like that with the PS3.

jsnepo

Hypecube said:
Yeah Most likely it'll just be a Smaller lighter PS3,

But each new PSP iteration was improved over the previous model, better screen, more ram ect... It would be a nice surprise if Sony pulled something like that with the PS3.

They have been doing that with the PS3 aside from the USB ports, card readers, and PS2 backward compatibility.

40GB = 90nm RSX / 65nm Cell
80GB (current) = 65nm RSX / 65nm Cell
160GB = 65nm RSX / 65nm Cell

It's not much but at least the PS3 should run cooler now. The slim PS3 might probably consume less power compared to its predecessors.

Hypecube

Banned
jsnepo said:
They have been doing that with the PS3 aside from the USB ports, card readers, and PS2 backward compatibility.

40GB = 90nm RSX / 65nm Cell
80GB (current) = 65nm RSX / 65nm Cell
160GB = 65nm RSX / 65nm Cell

It's not much but at least the PS3 should run cooler now. The slim PS3 might probably consume less power compared to its predecessors.

Sure, All of those things make the PS3 a better device, but that don't mean more to the end user. But then again, having a HD game console that not prone to braking means a lot too.:D

Also: I'm kinda amazed at how fast Sony's got Cell down to 45 Nanometers. I wonder if Cell and RSX will hit 22 nanometers in the PS3's lifetime? And if so how fast? I hope the Microprocessor manufactures can work out the voltage leakage issues out of the 32nm process soon.

jsnepo

Hypecube said:
Sure, All of those things make the PS3 a better device, but that don't mean more to the end user. But then again, having a HD game console that not prone to braking means a lot too.

Also: I'm kinda amazed at how fast Sony's got Cell down to 45 Nanometers. I wonder if Cell and RSX will hit 22 nanometers in the PS3's lifetime? And if so how fast? I hope the Microprocessor manufactures can work out the voltage leakage issues out of the 32nm process soon.

True. At least Sony should compensate for the lack of features of the newer models by adding a heatset or a PS Eye. But that will just add to the price so I doubt that will happen.

Cell is now 45nm? Wow! That's news to me. What about the RSX?

Hypecube

Banned
jsnepo said:
True. At least Sony should compensate for the lack of features of the newer models by adding a heatset or a PS Eye. But that will just add to the price so I doubt that will happen.

Cell is now 45nm? Wow! That's news to me. What about the RSX?

The word is that Sony started Fabing 45nm cell around march. No word on RSX but I hope to see both 45nm cell and RSX in the PS3 slim. That why I'm more excited about the inevitable PS3 slim "teardown" then about the PS3 slim it's self. I can't wait to see under the hood of one of those babies.

jsnepo

Hypecube said:
The word is that Sony started Fabing 45nm cell around march. No word on RSX but I hope to see both 45nm cell and RSX in the PS3 slim. That why I'm more excited about the inevitable PS3 slim "teardown" then about the PS3 slim it's self. I can't wait to see under the hood of one of those babies.

Same here. A friend of mine was actually ready to buy the rumored unit that showed up in the Philippines. But we were too late. It sucks.

pswii60 said:
Ah, the irony.

Is it because you are inferring I am the actual nut? Or because I said 64 on the 65th page? I was well aware of that, but he said 32, on the 64th page, and if I said 65 I would have been lambasted for poor maths.

Egmont

Neo Member
jsnepo said:
Same here. A friend of mine was actually ready to buy the rumored unit that showed up in the Philippines. But we were too late. It sucks.

Was there ever any follow-up about that? Has anyone heard from the guy who bought it, or been to his shop, or anything?

jsnepo

Egmont said:
Was there ever any follow-up about that? Has anyone heard from the guy who bought it, or been to his shop, or anything?

According to doy and T'wolf of PinoyPS.com, the indian who bought the unit already shipped it to Dubai and sold it for 40K PhP. That's about US$800.

JMC

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
Seriously... do people still doubt this will be out before the end of this year and announced very soon?

Seriously...?

The majority if not all of the doubt surrounds the issue of it being cheaper that the "fat" PS3.

Kogepan

i hope they put at least 1 usb port on the BACK of the ps3 slim...i hate how the cable for hte PS3eye sticks out the front.

Egmont

Neo Member
jsnepo said:
According to doy and T'wolf of PinoyPS.com, the indian who bought the unit already shipped it to Dubai and sold it for 40K PhP. That's about US$800.

Damn... no more pics or anything, huh? I guess it'll probably just drop off the radar now.

Still, this Dubai guy bought it at a pretty damn high price, it'd be a pity if he didn't show it off somehow... Don't have my hopes up, though.

Edit: Actually, there might be some sliver of hope; if he knew about it and was willing to pay so much for it, then he presumably found out via the internet, in which case he knows the amount of intrigue surrounding it. I mean, the fact that it was sold to some Indian guy is pretty esoteric information. And I can't imagine someone paying that much simply because he wanted a functioning PS3 Slim, so he must value it for more than its material worth, and know how much other people (like us) would value that information. . .

Maybe we'll hear some more about it once it ships after all.

But probably not.

D-d-double edit: Wow, this post is basically the definition of "cautious optimism."

dagundam

well I also say it is ugly. I hope that the slim ps3 is real and is coming soon at a lower price. But i really hope that THIS slim ps3 is fake. Because it is

UGLY. Look at it. It looks like some cheap knockoff and I would literally cry if Sony is really that blind to design the slim ps3 loooking like that.

I wouldn't say it's ugly, but it definitely is very plain looking and the matte black makes it look kind of plastic-y. Maybe it looks better in person.

When the phat finally gets phased out I wonder if they'll start selling for a premium on e-bay, for one because they're much sexier than the slim.

Busty

Banned
I realise that this question is the equivalent of me throwing a lit match onto a pool of petrol....but what is the current thinking/informed speculation on the potential price of this PS3 SLim?

Dra-Q

Banned
Busty said:
I realise that this question is the equivalent of me throwing a lit match onto a pool of petrol....but what is the current thinking/informed speculation on the potential price of this PS3 SLim?

$399 with Madden 10.

onken

jsnepo said:
The early 80GBs did (Motorstorm, MGS4 bundles). The 80GBs now don't.

JP units never have partial b/c, they went from full hardware to nothing, ouch!

Busty said:

Weeeeeelll common sense says 349 for slim, 299 to clear the inventory of fatties, then slim down to 299 before the holiday season.

However it wouldn't surprise me if they just released the slim right away at 299 and let retailers clear the fatties at whatever they can get for them.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dra-Q said:
$399 with Madden 10.

Don't fall into the trap of misinterpreting David Ellis's comments on 1up.

Slim will be either $299 or $399 and 160GB fat (with a game or two perhaps) will be either $399 or $499. You won't see an official slim bundle. 80GBs will hopefully/probably be pretty much gone by then (I reckon Sony has retooled a large proportion of its remaining 80GB inventory to be 160GB units, which is why we're seeing 'uncertain' 80GB supply rumblings at retail).

onken said:
JP units never have partial b/c, they went from full hardware to nothing, ouch!

Weeeeeelll common sense says 349 for slim, 299 to clear the inventory of fatties, then slim down to 299 before the holiday season.

However it wouldn't surprise me if they just released the slim right away at 299 and let retailers clear the fatties at whatever they can get for them.
Is that informed speculation/common sense or wishful thinking?

onken

Fistwell said:
Is that informed speculation/common sense or wishful thinking?

Common sense. You have to remember that the whole point of the slim is to make it cheaper; reduced form factor is just a beneficial side effect. Some argue that Sony would want to keep the price at 400 to make profit on the hardware but this is really madness because 1) the money is made on software and 2) it's always better to have 10 consoles with 4 pieces of software than 4 consoles with 10 pieces of software because it's free, viral advertising. It's in any companies interest to get as many consoles under TVs as possible, even if that means taking a loss on hardware.

Regarding the price point specifically, the target was to be breaking even on fat PS3 production by the end of 08, we have to assume that was met or close enough. The slim will be produced cheaper, so we're looking at an absolutely maximum price of 350 (assuming they're not going for stupid prices like 325 or something).

Though at the rate the PS3 is losing ground many armchair analysts (including myself) believe only a price point of 300 is enough to make a significant impact, and for all we know the slim may well be manufactured for that price anyway so they can still sell them at cost.

Regarding the fat price, it depends on how many are floating around in the supply line (there are conflicting reports on this). If there's a lot, then the price will simply have to be $50 less than the slim and no two ways about it. If there's not that many, they may not bother and just let retailers charge whatever it takes to shift them.

alternade

After reading the entire thread I believe this is real. But you guys are delusional if you think this is going to be a penny below $399

smaller and new != cheap

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
alternade said:
After reading the entire thread I believe this is real. But you guys are delusional if you think this is going to be a penny below $399

smaller and new != cheap

They've had three years and plenty of incentive to shrink and reduce costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom