• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

The Lamp

Adam's review was great. I don't know if I'll agree with him or not, but it's interesting that he likes the HD Collection better. His criticisms seemed valid but I'm not sure if the things he disliked so much will bother me as much, as I'm used to many of those things just being pleasantries of the Sly franchise.

We'll see!

Duffyside

Banned
Wow, this is reviewing better (and weirder) than I expected. All over the map. I actually think that's an exciting sign.

jd78

Neo Member
Put the disc in the ps3 and choose 'disc benefits' under the Game menu on the XMB.
Its broken right now though. Both versions are on PSN but someone forget about yopo.

So, I got the PS3 version but will probably only play the Vita version... I assume I will still have access to the Vita version (after I download it) if I trade in the PS3 disc?

jwk94

It's actually really good; That platforming is great, hubs are expansive and encourage exploration, and it probably has the least offensive touchscreen mechanics of any Vita game.
That's good to hear. Hubs though...not sure how I feel about that. I hated the hubs in Sly 2, and Sly 3 was ok with its hubs. I guess I'll see in a second, it's done!

Eh, I'll worry about this last clue bottle later; I'll just move onto the next job.

It's always where you least expect it.

jwk94

So, I got the PS3 version but will probably only play the Vita version... I assume I will still have access to the Vita version (after I download it) if I trade in the PS3 disc?

Yep. It's your forever. Granted PSN doesnt go away anytime soon.

EDIT:
Crap, double post. Sorry about that. How do I delete this post?

Holy shit, that sarsaparilla minigame made might blood for a second; thankfully I got the trophy for not missing a glass on my first try.

That's good to hear. Hubs though...not sure how I feel about that. I hated the hubs in Sly 2, and Sly 3 was ok with its hubs. I guess I'll see in a second, it's done!

The problem with the hubs in 2 were that thy were rather small and you could see everything in a matter of minutes, and there;s not really much to do in them except for the Clue Bottles. While 3 didn't have Clue Bottles, it did a much better job of intergrating the actual jobs into the hubs.

In this game, they're much bigger and there's more to do/collect, not to mention the Costumes, which can unlock different things in different hubs.

TELL ME ABOUT IT. I was looking for the last clue bottle in the first episode and gave up, saying I would go back to it later. I started the final job of the level, and right when I leave the hub to the boss fight, I see it RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME in the cutscene. I ended up quitting the job, grabbing it, and cracking the safe (on that subject, the safe-cracking is really weird in this game).

jwk94

You can't. It's yours. Forever.
no!!!

Holy shit, that sarsaparilla minigame made might blood for a second; thankfully I got the trophy for not missing a glass on my first try.

The problem with the hubs in 2 were that thy were rather small and you could see everything in a matter of minutes, and there;s not really much to do in them except for the Clue Bottles. While 3 didn't have Clue Bottles, it did a much better job of intergrating the actual jobs into the hubs.
In this game, they're much bigger and there's more to do/collect, not to mention the Costumes, which can unlock different things in different hubs.

I like the way that sounds. What'd they do to my boy's double jump though!? It's useless now. Poor Sly.

TELL ME ABOUT IT. I was looking for the last clue bottle in the first episode and gave up, saying I would go back to it later. I started the final job of the level, and right when I leave the hub to the boss fight, I see it RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME in the cutscene. I ended up quitting the job, grabbing it, and cracking the safe (on that subject, the safe-cracking is really weird in this game).

Clue bottles were a love/hate type thing with me. They were fun in sly 1 but once everything went hubby, i hated them. I was glad they weren't present in Sly 3, but it made the game feel a little empty. I'm still on the demo part, but please tell me they brought back the Master Sprints! Even though I kinda hated those in Sly 1, they gave you a feeling of accomplishment once you beat them.

Oh and speaking of things I hate. The coin collecting is messed up in this game. In the previous games, the coins would just jump out of the box or whatever, you'd touch them, and they'd scurry to your counter. In this game, they float out of the box, then float into you?! Not only does this make the process longer, bu it's incredibly annoying because it's somewhat hard to tell which coins you did or didn't get when you're just trying to rush through a part.

Morgan just tweeted that they're aware of the disc benefits issue and they're on it.

http://community.us.playstation.com...-Benefits-Issues-PS-Vita-Access/td-p/39473007

In this game, they float out of the box, then float into you?! Not only does this make the process longer, bu it's incredibly annoying because it's somewhat hard to tell which coins you did or didn't get when you're just trying to rush through a part

Don't worry, there's an upgrade for that.

EDIT: Ohai Carmelita. 'bout time you showed up.

How will mentioning cheaper price boost the review ?=P You mean sales right?

same reviews acts like shopping guide, or sometime the price is taken into concideration for the review score so it's less harsh etc. didn't sound like the cheaper price is gonna help the review scores this time.

Salaadin

I love the game. First hub world is a lot fun. Platforming is great.
Any word from Sony on why cross buy isnt working? Id really like to get this Vita version started.

VanWinkle

I stopped playing on PS3 after about an hour today so I could continue on the Vita for a bit, and I've been waiting all day to be able to do that. And I STILL can't. If I knew that Cross-Buy was this much of a pain in the butt I probably would have just got the Vita version :/

On the second hub, playing as Murray for the third time (I think this may be the last job). This game really does focus mostly on Sly and his ancestors, while having the other characters as variety.

Drago

On the second hub, playing as Murray for the third time (I think this may be the last job). This game really does focus mostly on Sly and his ancestors, while having the other characters as variety.
This pleases me. I like Sly's gameplay the best (and Bentley is good too). The more Sly, the better. :)

VanWinkle

STILL? It's been less than 24 hrs!

? It should have available at midnight, or at least in the morning. It didn't even show up when the store update went up, and now they're acting like this is the first they've heard of the problem, like they forgot they had a cross-buy game coming out today.

jwk94

My god, these levels are HUGE!!!! I didn't think the hub would be so large. I'm definitely saving the collecting for when my ps3 version is done.

Loudninja

They know guys

+ Kristine Steimer on February 5th, 2013 at 4:29 pm said:

Hey there,

Thanks for making us aware of this issue. We’re looking into how quickly it can be fixed now! Sorry for the inconvenience!

For those wondering — this is only applicable to the disc based version of Sly Cooper.
+ Kristine Steimer on February 5th, 2013 at 4:30 pm said:

Please see response to #1 – -We’re on the case. More info soon.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/05/playstation-store-update-277/#comments

Salaadin

There's a bottle on a ledge that looks like i need to glide to but i can't get it no matter what i do. This is infuriating! Ahhh!

Just beat the first tutorial stage in Paris. Having fun with it so far and look forward to spending some more time with it throughout the week.

A couple of odd design choices (playing on Vita):

Even with subtitles turned on, they don't appear in the fully animated cut scenes and during some of radio contacts. If subtitles are on, I wish it would apply universally, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
The map screen only lets you choose between "Status" and "Map" using the d-pad, even though the buttons look like they would work with touch and you use touch controls on the map to pan and zoom. I must have tapped the status button 5 times the first time I accessed the menu before I caught on.

Salaadin

Are there upgrades later on that let me glide further, etc. Some of these objects feel so out of reach. I see two masks now that i just cant get to

Ridley327

There's something deeply funny about all the people trying to game the cross-buy feature for just a little bit more trade-in value and these entitlement errors that are occurring for them right now.

jwk94

There's a bottle on a ledge that looks like i need to glide to but i can't get it no matter what i do. This is infuriating! Ahhh!
I know exactly where you are. I can't get to it either. I think there might be a super jump somewhere down the line. Just gotta wait for it.

Unlocked the third episode, but I'm gonna go back to Japan real quick and unlock one of the costume gates I saw.

Say what now?

VanWinkle

There's something deeply funny about all the people trying to game the cross-buy feature for just a little bit more trade-in value and these entitlement errors that are occurring for them right now.

Like who? I haven't seen anybody that's overtly doing that, but then again, I've been sticking mainly to this thread.

Are there upgrades later on that let me glide further, etc. Some of these objects feel so out of reach. I see two masks now that i just cant get to

That most likely means you're either trying from the wrong place or you need a costume that you don't have yet (most likely the latter).

Salaadin

I know exactly where you are. I can't get to it either. I think there might be a super jump somewhere down the line. Just gotta wait for it.
I gave up. Its actually a mask back there and not a bottle. Still, I cant get it.

I only did two jobs so far but put in close to 3 hours just searching and exploring. I love it.
I hope cross buy is up by tomorrow since I want to play this in bed.

WTF @ the "Ultimate Sly" unlock; looks some sorta Ninja Deadpool cosplay gone wrong, LOL.

Say what now?

Costume Gates are special doors that can only be opened by certain costumes. IIRC there are two in Japan; one with the Samurai armour, and the other with the Jailbird outfit.

Camjo-Z

holy shit

I can't play Sly 4 until tomorrow so I bought Bentley's Hackpack to keep me occupied... I didn't realize it in the demo, but the tank minigame is HARDCORE YO

See, at first it seems pretty easy - you just go around blasting all the enemies to get to the end, Geometry Wars-style. Then you notice that there's a leaderboard for high scores, so you go for that. But how do you get high scores? Basically, when you shoot enough stuff you get a points multiplier (2x, 3x, 4x, etc.). So to get the highest score possible, you have to shoot the things worth the least points first to get your multiplier up, then go for the things worth more points.

After about Level 4 you start seeing why this is easier said than done. The lower scoring items/enemies and higher scoring item/enemies start getting further and further apart, with more and more hazards between them - and getting hit ONCE makes you lose your multiplier entirely. Hackpack is way deeper than I expected, and well worth the $3 IMO. Plus it is Cross-Buy, which is also awesome.

that motion control minigame can go fuck itself though

I have a question for anyone familiar with cross-buy. So I have a Vita and my friend has the Sly Thieves in Time game. He said I could have the Vita version since I have one he doesn't (he's giving it to me free of charge because were friends and all). Anyways, here's my question.

If I do cross-buy on my friends Sly disc on my PS3 for my Vita, will it under no circumstances mess up his game except just removing the Vita game off the disc? Just making sure since I did it b4 with PSASBR but since it was mine I didn't care. Just want to make sure his game will be 100% safe when I get the Vita game off of it.

I was watching a stream of this game earlier and I noticed that it was unusually quiet running around the world. Was it like this in the other games? I honestly don't remember, but I feel like there should be at least a little music. Unless its not like this all the time, if that's the case then never mind.

VanWinkle

Well, went ahead and started playing the PS3 version again. This isn't really a spoiler since it's so close to the beginning, but that cave fishing level with Murray is really beautiful, and the section as a whole reminded me nothing of the terrible part in the demo. It was fun.

Top Bottom