• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So basically everyone is saying that it's a very safe and familiar entry in the franchise; pretty much what I expected. A little disappointing, to be sure, but since I've played through the other three games dozens of times each and it's been 7 years since the last one, I don't necessarily think that a lack of innovation is going to bother me much. I mean, it is a new Sly game after all. I'm sure I'll still really like it.

Hopefully though, if Sanzaru gets to make another Sly game at some point, they'll decide to take it in a new and fresh direction.

Salaadin

Are the preorder skins at all retailers? Gamestop has them, Amazon has them, but I got nothing from newegg. Do they not get stuff like that?

Drago

Are the preorder skins at all retailers? Gamestop has them, Amazon has them, but I got nothing from newegg. Do they not get stuff like that?

NewEgg doesn't seem to get many preorder bonuses, but I'm not fully sure how often it happens. I do know that they didn't get the PSASBR bonuses last year.

Grisby

Picked mine up from the GS. Lady had to look around for it but at least it wasn't gutted like Vita games usually are.

Think I had the only copy from the looks of it. Gonna hop on tonight or tomorrow because I want to get into Dead Space as well. I'm excited though, this being my first Sly game and all.

Salaadin

NewEgg doesn't seem to get many preorder bonuses, but I'm not fully sure how often it happens. I do know that they didn't get the PSASBR bonuses last year.

Damn. I guess its not a big deal since theyre only paraglider skins but I want them :(
EDIT: I did get the game for only 28 bucks. Ill stop complaining.

Thanks for listing the pricing in the OP. Saved myself $20 earlier after the retailer I went to initially charged $60 for it.

Salaadin

My plan was to get the game, go home to activate it and start the Vita version download. Then I would work out and shower and, by the time Im done, Sly Cooper will be finished downloading and I could play it the rest of the night.

Unless the PS Store upates in the next 15 mins, this wont be happening :\

How does the vita version redemption work? I am currently without a PS3, but would love to have this on my Vita while still having the ability to play it on my PS3 later.

Berordn

So, the pre-order bonus... from the looks of it, it's just stuff you unlock in normal gameplay with the masks, at least based on the toggles in the unlockables menu. Weren't these things supposed to be exclusive?

Really pleasantly surprised when I got home today and saw the 26.99 price on the Vita PSN store. Wish I would have known that before adding a 50 dollar card to my account, but now I have a future game more than half paid off at least!

feli

Really pleasantly surprised when I got home today and saw the 26.99 price on the Vita PSN store. Wish I would have known that before adding a 50 dollar card to my account, but now I have a future game more than half paid off at least!

It's out on the PSN?

Gamespawn

For all those who've done "Disc Benefits" before:

Is there some special label for the Vita version or is it just the game they sale normally on PSN?

I'm asking because I really want to get the game for Vita, but I don't know if paying 13 dollars more is worth it.

rCIZZLE

Is there any need to play the previous games to understand this one? Interested in the series but don't really feel like adding 3 more games to my backlog before even playing this one.

joe2187

Banned
I bought the PS3 version, but it looks like I'll have to start on the with the vita version first...

My TV just up and died yesterday, the screen now displays nothing but vertical multicolored bars.

I guess all my gaming from now is regulated towards the vita now

Gamespawn

Is there any need to play the previous games to understand this one? Interested in the series but don't really feel like adding 3 more games to my backlog before even playing this one.

From the demo, it explains the backstory pretty well so you should be caught up enough to enjoy the game and then turn around and buy the collection.

jwk94

zDSFrLj.jpg

Carmelita looks.....interesting....

VanWinkle

The game is on the Vita store but the disc benefits option is still not up. Do they have to publish the update on the PS Blog or something first? I don't get it.

Salaadin

Fuck it. Ill start on PS3. Not waiting any longer for that disc benefits stuff.

Bentleys Hackpack looks good. At 3 bucks, i might have to pick that up.

Berordn

They've made a few passing references to characters but nothing important that you'd miss out on.

jwk94

The Bentley's Hackpack is pretty fun so far, but this minigame i'm on has tilt controls, i really don't like it. It has challenges and a good amount of trophies (no plat) though, so you should be busy for a while.

Salaadin

Just got back wanted to play the Vita version first, but can't seem to figure out how I redeem it.
Put the disc in the ps3 and choose 'disc benefits' under the Game menu on the XMB.
Its broken right now though. Both versions are on PSN but someone forget about yopo.

The Lamp

So basically everyone is saying that it's a very safe and familiar entry in the franchise; pretty much what I expected. A little disappointing, to be sure, but since I've played through the other three games dozens of times each and it's been 7 years since the last one, I don't necessarily think that a lack of innovation is going to bother me much. I mean, it is a new Sly game after all. I'm sure I'll still really like it.

Hopefully though, if Sanzaru gets to make another Sly game at some point, they'll decide to take it in a new and fresh direction.

I haven't played my copy yet but I've gotta say that in my opinion this game is definitely a case where "better safe than sorry" applies. If they didn't guarantee sales from their established fanbase by scaring them away with a weird new gameplay direction, they wouldn't get sales probably anywhere else.

If this does well hopefully with a new sequel maybe they'll be able to take the franchise to some interesting new lengths while staying very true to the Sly formula we all know and love. But for now, I really just wanted a familiar new Sly game to play.

How do you disable that annoying arrow that comes up every new objective?
Turning the radar off doesn't do anything.

Click the analog stick.

But in the demo it was a temporary toggle, so hopefully in the full game they made it a permanent toggle. Otherwise I'm gonna be upset :l

How do you disable that annoying arrow that comes up every new objective?
Turning the radar off doesn't do anything.

It is the radar; apparently they made it so that every time you get a new objective, it pops up. Turning the radar off just makes it so that it isn't there 100% of the time.

jwk94

For those of you that are having trouble with the disc benefits, is your ps3 on the latest firmware? I know many people had the same problem when All-Stars was released and all they needed to do was update their PS3.

Just need 3 more clue bottles to unlock the safe in Episode 2.

Use the Vita!!!!

VanWinkle

For those of you that are having trouble with the disc benefits, is your ps3 on the latest firmware? I know many people had the same problem when All-Stars was released and all they needed to do was update their PS3.

Use the Vita!!!!

Yeah, it had to be updated to the latest firmware just to play the game on PS3.

My bad, lol. How is it? I'm waiting for my copies to download. Figured I'd download the Vita version first then cross save into the PS3 version once that's done tomorrow ;_;

It's actually really good; That platforming is great, hubs are expansive and encourage exploration, and it probably has the least offensive touchscreen mechanics of any Vita game.

Top Bottom