• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

Berordn

So...this one is like Sly 1 or like Sly 2&3?. I'm not interested if it's like the two last games.

It's got way more platforming segments than 2 & 3 did, but it's structured like them with the overworld hub and missions.

Minigames are at an all-time low, and it honestly feels like the most balanced of the games... so far, anyway. It still has plenty of time to fall apart like Sly 3 did in the last few hours.

Salaadin

Really hard to tell. I know at one point yesterday I spent around 3 hours in Feudal Japan not only doing missions but collecting all the clue bottles. Japan is the only level which I've actually gotten the clue bottles and opened the safe. Went back once to unlock a Costume Gate with the Jailbird costume.

Stopped hunting clue bottles after beating the second episode (still only missing one) and went to the third, which I actually found to be the longest of the first three episodes.

Im probably 2-3 hours in myself and I only did 2 jobs. The rest of that time was spent exploring the hub and collection bottles.

Are all the hubs as large-ish as that first one? Because I love that.

wouwie

I decided to keep my pre-order. Reviews are decent and i think i will have at least some fun with this. I'm actually looking forward to this game so it's going to be a long 2 month wait. I still have some other games to finish in the meantime.

Also, i feel i should support this game because i love the genre (3D platformer) and would like to see more of these games being made.

Only got up to the Rioichi mission of sneaking into the Geisha house last night and then stopped it.

That sequence with Murray was... interesting. To say the least.

Still liking the game so far, even if I'm not so used to how loose Murray feels to control at times compared to what I remember from Sly 2.

VanWinkle

Awesome.

I was having a blast last night just bouncing around the area and stealing coins.

For those on Vita, hows the draw distance? PS3 version has pretty good draw distance and that was handy when searching for bottles. I hope Vita is similar.

Very good draw distance. There's some pop-in unfortunately on the hub worlds, but not much. Doesn't seem to detract from the experience.

8450288268_fa684aa4ef_z.jpg

8449202977_03a6ba7572_z.jpg

Salaadin

Very good draw distance. There's some pop-in unfortunately on the hub worlds, but not much. Doesn't seem to detract from the experience.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8213/8450288268_fa684aa4ef_z.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8469/8449202977_03a6ba7572_z.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Wow, better than I thought. Thanks for posting pictures!

Ridley327

Did Sanzaru decide to do separate trophy lists after all? Both versions have their own lists, and using cross-save has been upping my percentages pretty quickly. That's a pleasant surprise, to say the least.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
]Very good draw distance[/B]. There's some pop-in unfortunately on the hub worlds, but not much. Doesn't seem to detract from the experience.

8450288268_fa684aa4ef_z.jpg

8449202977_03a6ba7572_z.jpg

It's bad,and honestly game look bad on Vita.

I ordered the PS3 version,now I have to wait for almost two weeks to get it :(

VanWinkle

It's bad,and honestly game look bad on Vita.

I ordered the PS3 version,now I have to wait for almost two weeks.

Oh, the draw distance is bad? Man, I can't believe I've been duped. And Sanzaru tricked me into thinking the graphics look great when I'm now learning from the best source of all - the one who doesn't have the game - that, in actuality, the game looks bad.

I wonder if I should just return it now and cut my losses.

Oh, the draw distance is bad? Man, I can't believe I've been duped. And Sanzaru tricked me into thinking the graphics look great when I'm now learning from the best source of all - the one who doesn't have the game - that, in actuality, the game looks bad.

I wonder if I should just return it now and cut my losses.

iyNKhjCPJLQQO.gif

Stone cold.

Ridley327

The Vita version absolutely pales in comparison to the PS3 version; it's significantly pared down in every aspect, and even the videos have some nasty compression artifacts riddled throughout.

That said, the AR Treasure finder is actually really fucking useful, so it's got that going for it.

VanWinkle

The Vita version absolutely pales in comparison to the PS3 version; it's significantly pared down in every aspect, and even the videos have some nasty compression artifacts riddled throughout.

Textures look the same. The Vita version lacks cel-shading and self-shadowing, however. Looks great, still. The compression in the animated videos is due to the fact that the game is 3.5GB compared to 20GB on PS3.

reson8or

That said, the AR Treasure finder is actually really fucking useful, so it's got that going for it.

I can't seem to get mine to connect, would love to be able to try this out, took me an hour to get the last bottle in the first stage :(

Tagg9

So apparently there's a secret ending.

It would be pretty awesome if Sanzaru immediately started on Sly Cooper 5 after they finished dev on TiT. I've always thought that there should be an Egyptian world so Sly can rob tombs and shit.

The Lamp

Just started up the game. Collect-a-thon warning to those who don't like things to collect, in previous games there were clue bottles, in here there's clue bottles + 4 other things to collect....but I have no context for how much they are in the game or what they do.

Just started up the game. Collect-a-thon warning to those who don't like things to collect, in previous games there were clue bottles, in here there's clue bottles + 4 other things to collect....but I have no context for how much they are in the game or what they do.

They're in every level, but they're completely optional.

NBtoaster

So apparently there's a secret ending.

It would be pretty awesome if Sanzaru immediately started on Sly Cooper 5 after they finished dev on TiT. I've always thought that there should be an Egyptian world so Sly can rob tombs and shit.

Unlikely considering they had to lay off most of their staff to finish this game.

The Lamp

They're in every level, but they're completely optional.

I know but someone earlier mentioned they didn't like having collectibles or whatever (I can't imagine why not).

They really need to patch in the ability to turn this stupid compass OFF. When I click L3 I want it to GO AWAY not just hide until the next cutscene or random action that brings it back up again.

Camjo-Z

They really need to patch in the ability to turn this stupid compass OFF. When I click L3 I want it to GO AWAY not just hide until the next cutscene or random action that brings it back up again.

I don't even notice it's there most of the time, but easily I can see why it might bug people. You'd think if they were going to include a toggle option they'd make the toggle permanent.

Also, Murray segments are surprisingly not as bad as I thought they would be from the demo.

The game was finished by then. They laid off some of their staff like many other studios do once they're finished developing a game, this is just regular fare.

EDIT: Basically beaten.

I just got to Tennessee Kid Cooper and I'm having lots of fun with this game.

The game was finished by then. They laid off some of their staff like many other studios do once they're finished developing a game, this is just regular fare.

EDIT: Basically beaten.

I just got to Tennessee Kid Cooper and I'm having lots of fun with this game.

Ain't it badass, though? It's like a cross between Ratchet & Clank's rail grinding and Red Dead Redemption's dead-eye

Do I have to play as Sly's stupid friends in this game? and if you do (which im sure you do) whats the split 70/30 sly/dumb friends? or is it more like 50/50 ?

VanWinkle

Do I have to play as Sly's stupid friends in this game? and if you do (which im sure you do) whats the split 70/30 sly/dumb friends? or is it more like 50/50 ?
So far the balance has definitely been more on Sly or his ancestors (which are basically Sly). I'm only in the second world though.

So far the balance has definitely been more on Sly or his ancestors (which are basically Sly). I'm only in the second world though.

Yes, I'm curious to hear impressions about the later areas, because Sly 3 started out with a decent balance of Sly/Friends, but the last world seemed 80% friends, 20% Sly.....I started to miss the little guy.

jwk94

Yeah, right now it seems like it's more Sly and his ancestors than his friends. I'm also only in the second world though. Tennessee Cooper is so much fun to play. I hate how much backtracked I'm going to have to do later in the game though.

Thats good to hear. I might actually pick this game up then, haha.

Ive got no problem playing as different sly ancestors, since they look like they play pretty much the same. I just dont want to play completely different types of characters. The little turtle guy shooter sequence in the GiantBomb quick look is fine too.

Top Bottom