• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

Gigglepoo

From EGM:"THE BAD: Timed missions revolving around getting treasure back to the hideout don’t work in a stealth game."

Really stupid to put that in the game, now sure how big part of the game it takes. Gamespot review didn't mention it.

I did mention it, albeit in a factual rather than an evaluatory way, "Racing back to your hideout with a valuable urn adds more coins to your bank"

But the point of that paragraph was that collecting everything is really fun, both because there are tangible rewards and the act of discovery itself. So, I really enjoyed the timed missions.

SuperPac

But Sessler's review could pretty much describe any of the previous Sly games as well. Especially when it comes to the boss battle comment (memorization, timing, yep), lack of deep emotional exploration of the characters, the minigames or the platforming.

I'm not sure if swerving far off the path would've been better - a lot of the goodwill the game's gotten in the past two years has been for its return to the formula of the first game.

KalBalboa

Banned
He also makes a point of saying he really liked the PS2 games, and he thinks this is a step backwards for the franchise.

The game seems to be getting a wide variety of scores. Adam seems to have given it the lowest score but for some very honest reasons that others seem ok with. I played the demo and thought it played a great deal like the originals and didn't step backwards, so I don't think I'd dislike it for the same reasons he did.

I also think Colin on IGN docked the Vita version a bit much. While the PS3 version obviously looks better, I didn't find the Vita one to feel compromised.

Takao

Banned
someone, make a review thread

"SLY COOPER: BOMBAS ANY TIME REVIEW THREAD ($39.99/PS3, $29.99/VITA, RETAIL CROSSBUY ON PS3) PLEASE BUY THIS GAME"

eznark

Banned
From EGM:"THE BAD: Timed missions revolving around getting treasure back to the hideout don’t work in a stealth game."

Really stupid to put that in the game, now sure how big part of the game it takes. Gamespot review didn't mention it.

That's not new

LuchaShaq

Banned
All the negativity stems from people who haven't played the first three or didn't like them, so I'm not going to feel bad unless someone who liked them says it sucks (which I highly doubt will happen).

First of all I haven't played the game or the demo so it might be the best/worst game of all time for all I know.

This is still a load of horse shit. If it hasn't advanced mechanically past the ps2 days it deserves bad reviews. (I have no idea if it has/hasn't).

You clearly don't care what reviewers say so don't read them if they are going to hurt your feelings so much? If you love the game and it gets bad reviews, oh well enjoy the game! If you love it and the reviews are great? Yay as well!

Ridley327

The game seems to be getting a wide variety of scores. Adam seems to have given it the lowest score but for some very honest reasons that others seem ok with. I played the demo and thought it played a great deal like the originals and didn't step backwards, so I don't think I'd dislike it for the same reasons he did.

I also think Colin on IGN docked the Vita version a bit much. While the PS3 version obviously looks better, I didn't find the Vita one to feel compromised.

I dunno; I think the lack of cel-shading in the Vita version gives it a far less attractive aesthetic. I really think that it should have been a priority to have maintained that aspect of the visuals.

Salaadin

That sessler guy sounds like the guy from the big bang theory with the speech impediment.

I dont hear that at all.

I dunno; I think the lack of cel-shading in the Vita version gives it a far less attractive aesthetic. I really think that it should have been a priority to have maintained that aspect of the visuals.

I guess Im the opposite. Its not as appealing as the PS3 version but Id rather the crisp, native res, no cel shading look.
Now, if they could have added cel shading while keeping it native res, Id gladly take it :p

I've never listened to reviews before, so I'm not going to start now. My second favorite series of games is Dynasty/Samurai Warriors. I'm definitely a fan of sticking to what works. So if that's what this game does I'm fine with it.

VanWinkle

The reviews are all over the board, as expected, but at least not teetering on the bad side, so that's good. Regardless, I now have the game! Just went out and bought it.

This is still a load of horse shit. If it hasn't advanced mechanically past the ps2 days it deserves bad reviews. (I have no idea if it has/hasn't).

You clearly don't care what reviewers say so don't read them if they are going to hurt your feelings so much? If you love the game and it gets bad reviews, oh well enjoy the game! If you love it and the reviews are great? Yay as well!
So the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" just doesn't apply to video games anymore? But yes, before you ask, the game has advanced from the PS2 days, just not as much as some might have hoped. And with the steady decline of the quality of R&C games (which did in fact change their styles up) its not surprising that Sanzaru kept the core gameplay the same.

Hurt my feelings? What? I just made a statement (which by all accounts, was true at the time) and then gave my opinion. What are you even.... Never mind, I'm not getting into this.

Just have to survive this last class before I'm on my way to go get this bad boy ^_^

Reviews are essentially like a I expected; Sessler and GameInformer reviews I actually didn't.

As far as gameplay goes, I'm perfectly fine with Sanzaru not trying anything very risky, since this is their first shot at the franchise and want to keep that same feel of the old games. Now that they've essentially done that with passing marks, if they get the chance to make another Sly game, I'd like to see them experiment with a lot of things.

It's really weird, considering that the collectible treasures are cel-shaded but everything else isn't.

Mesoian

So after playing the demo, I picked up The HD collection and played through Sly 1. Sessler's review sounds like a review of that game.

So I think we'll be alright.

Sly 1 is polarizing because it's one of those games that didn't quite know how to get steath down. I played through that game like a normal platformer, It never felt like I actually had to do any sneaking. If I remember correctly (because it's been like...a fuckin' decade), Sly 2 and 3 are more stealthy, but still have those timed elements and such.

I've never played a Sly before and am getting this, although, I am worried about all these "shitty Murray" sections

How bad can they be?
Can you tolerate playing as a slow lumbering hippopotamus that's basically a tank that can beat down, body slam and throw enemies and objects around easily? If you can, then you'll be fine.

So all the complaints about the game seems to come from the fact that it plays like a PS2 game. I'm fine with that. I think it's a fair reason to knock a few points for playing it safe, but making it below average seems dumb.

It's easy to say, "they should move the franchise forward!" but never actually say any concrete idea of how to do it. All they say is "They should take advantage of the hardware and make it free roaming something something".

kadotsu

Banned
Reading some of the reviews the game sounds like a decent but not great 3D platformer. I'll take it since I'm starved for one. The lower price helps, too.

Found the safe in the first level; just need to find the last five clue bottles to open it.

One thing I like about the treasures in this one is that if you decide to take it back to the hideout, it doesn't cancel you out of the current job.

Also, I'm keeping the compass on; I turned it off and found it much easier to see where I am. These hubs are really big.

VanWinkle

I picked up the game today but there is no manual inside. Is the game suppose to come like this or did I get a defective copy?

Digital manual. You'll see an option when you put the disc in.

I'm loving this game. Just a couple of jobs into Japan (the first world) but it's awesome.

Digital manual. You'll see an option when you put the disc in.

I'm loving this game. Just a couple of jobs into Japan (the first world) but it's awesome.

Thank you for answering my question, you saved me a trip to the store. I'm going to have to re-buy the HD collection because I can't not have the full series. I'm OCD like that.

VanWinkle

I'm done for now. I don't want to play too far without starting the Vita version, but I apparently can't download the Vita version until it's up on the PS Store. Stupid.

Orion Pax

Neo Member
Picked my copy up earlier and really looking forward to playing, but must hold off til I finish Sly 3. Getting excited due to reviews and can't wait to play it. I am sure it is worth the wait.

Salaadin

Hi guys! Is it confirmed that PS3 digital version is YOPO? I could import this game but want to play it now.

I dont see why it wouldnt be but I guess we wont know for sure until the PS Store updates.

I picked up the game today but there is no manual inside. Is the game suppose to come like this or did I get a defective copy?

Man, you just made me open my copy to check. Not only is there no manual...but they just took the control scheme and plastered it on the other side of the cover. Instead of a cool reversible cover, we get....the game controls. LOL

Mzo

Sly 3 was on par with cancer. I doubt this is a step down for the franchise unless it's just terrible.

Globox_82

Banned
reasons adam mentions are a bit silly. He is reviewing it like it is a AAA budget game trying to reinvent itself. Clearly TIT doesn't try to do that and I doubt this game had more then 5 million dollar budget. we always talk about the need of B budget titles, that would not only be cheaper to buy (like Sly 4 is) but it would have worse graphics and what not. But when such title gets released it gets bashed by the likes of Adam.

Ok I haven't played the game, but the reasons he mentions in his vid are silly.

Salaadin

reasons adam mentions are a bit silly. He is reviewing it like it is a AAA budget game trying to reinvent itself. Clearly TIT doesn't try to do that and I doubt this game had more then 5 million dollar budget. we always talk about the need of B budget titles, that would not only be cheaper to buy (like Sly 4 is) but it would have worse graphics and what not. But when such title gets released it gets bashed by the likes of Adam.

Ok I haven't played the game, but the reasons he mentions in his vid are silly.

TIT? I didnt even realize that. Certainly explains why they sexed up Carmlelita :p

I like Adams review style and like what he says but his reasons arent enough to sway me. The most alarming thing for me is that hes a fan of games like this and hes not all that crazy about it...which was weird considering that most reviews Ive seen, even the ones that lean negative, all mention how Sly fans would probably like it.

To be honest, Im perfectly fine with unchanged, unevolved Sly Cooper. I could do without minigames and side characters but if the game at its core is Sly Cooper, then Im happy. The demo felt like I wanted it to.

Adam Sessler review: 2/5 Stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IXp8TBrf38

I really enjoyed his review.

Am I the only one watching the gameplay footage and thinking to myself that it looked great and had some good variety in gameplay? I'm not arguing that it's perfect, but the score seems a bit low.

Maybe it's a case of overblown expectations and the end product not meeting them.

On a side note, I learned a new word from the review - pastiche... I intend to use that word with every future conversation or post I make.

TripOpt55

About halfway through Episode 1 and it's a blast so far. I actually thought the first Murray mission was pretty fun. More of a light platforming level than a beat em up type one. It's definitely not reinventing the series but it's not like we've been playing these every year and they are stale. It's been 7 years so being like the old games is fine to me.

Just got home with my copy. Once I get a few things straightened out, I'll be able to experience what I've been waiting for for seven long years.

Sorian

Banned
First to quote can have my gamestop pre-order skins (paraglider and seal team murray). I don't really care much about skins. I would have thrown it in the free to a good home thread but I know this title isn't getting a lot of people so I decided to find a concentrated camp :D

Just got home with my copy. Once I get a few things straightened out, I'll be able to experience what I've been waiting for for seven long years.

And I feel you, today is such a long day at work.

VanWinkle

First to quote can have my gamestop pre-order skins (paraglider and seal team murray). I don't really care much about skins. I would have thrown it in the free to a good home thread but I know this title isn't getting a lot of people so I decided to find a concentrated camp :D

And I feel you, today is such a long day at work.

YES!

I didn't preorder it because I was going to buy it at Walmart with my discount. Turned out my Walmart didn't get it in and I had to go buy it at Gamestop :(

Top Bottom