• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

Tagg9

The mostly-Sly-and-Ancestors ratio. IIRC I've only played as Murray around 5-6 times throughout the whole game thus far; Carmelita even less than that.

Yeah, you don't really play as Murray much in the game (although there are several minigames that involve him). This can only be a good thing, haha.

Order

Holy shit
in the mission where Kid has to save Carmelita, you can see Clockwerk just watching you from a distance

VanWinkle

vita impressions please, honest impressions please

Its so fun. Doesn't feel like I'm playing a dumbed down version of the PS3 game. It feels like I'm playing Sly 4, just on a different platform. Long load times though if that really bothers you, and there's some occasional pop-in in the hub worlds.

Jhriad

Just went to Best Buy to pick up a copy and they were sold out. Asked the guy and apparently they only got 4 copies in. Really hoping they get some more in soon.

Grisby

Just finished the opening/prologue first level. Decent stuff. The audio seems a bit low on the Vita version.

The Lamp

Do I have to play as Sly's stupid friends in this game? and if you do (which im sure you do) whats the split 70/30 sly/dumb friends? or is it more like 50/50 ?

Well I'm about 2-3 hours in and I've been playing as Sly most of the time.

I think the other characters are handled way better here than in Sly 3. I never understood the complaints about Murray though; he controlled just fine in the demo and here. So far everything's been smooth and any sections where I'm not platforming with Sly are a welcome change of pace and something neat and different to do.

I really really like this game so far. Sanzaru has done a great job; even the writing is up to par with past games.

It's all like a familiar bag of potato chips.

jwk94

Guys, I'm having trouble. I'm in the second area and I can't access my last clue bottle. It's the one really high up on one of the edges of the map. It's next to a mask and close to where
Tennessee starts the "save Carmelita" mission

The Lamp

I just got done with the second major Murray gameplay part and...I'm sorry...the minigames in this game are....fun. At least I think so. There was a short minigame that used the sixaxis and I thought it was fun actually.

Ridley327

Guys, I'm having trouble. I'm in the second area and I can't access my last clue bottle. It's the one really high up on one of the edges of the map. It's next to a mask and close to where
Tennessee starts the "save Carmelita" mission

You can actually ride on top of the train, which is the only thing high enough to reach that platform. Grab onto it with Circle and get off when you reach that point. The rest should be self-explanatory.

Gadirok

I just got done with the second major Murray gameplay part and...I'm sorry...the minigames in this game are....fun. At least I think so. There was a short minigame that used the sixaxis and I thought it was fun actually.

Augh... I buy the full game now. I was playing Bentelys hackpack, and boy is it amazing.

Ridley327

How do you actually do the AR thing?

Toggle the AR server option in the Game menu in the PS3 version and go into the hub of whatever world you're on. Next, you'll select AR Treasures on the Vita version, which will look for a valid AR server. Once it finds one, it will connect to it. From this point, you have a couple of options you can do:

-The default view is a true AR mode, where it will scan an icon on the TV screen and create its own overlay on top of it, giving you the treasure locations
-The second view, which is accessed by pressing L, will simply double up what's going on the screen on your Vita, which means you can have it in your lap and not pointing at the TV screen

Tagg9

Can anyone figure out how to get the trophy for gliding 10 seconds straight? I tried from the tallest building in
the Arabian world
but it still didn't unlock.

Played through most of the first world, and my initial impression is that this is an improvement on the Sly 2/Sly 3 formula. The missions in those games too often required you to do that thing you just did, but 7 more times. In this one so far, they seem to design actual stages for everything, even fishing! In Sly 2, it would have been 6 obnoxiously placed fishing holes in the hub with a minigame at each one lol. In this one, go through a level, play a mildly entertaining minigame for 30 seconds, go back through the level with a new wrinkle. I guess I feel the minigames aren't overpowering the platforming this time.

The Lamp

Played through most of the first world, and my initial impression is that this is an improvement on the Sly 2/Sly 3 formula. The missions in those games too often required you to do that thing you just did, but 7 more times. In this one so far, they seem to design actual stages for everything, even fishing! In Sly 2, it would have been 6 obnoxiously placed fishing holes in the hub with a minigame at each one lol. In this one, go through a level, play a mildly entertaining minigame for 30 seconds, go back through the level with a new wrinkle. I guess I feel the minigames aren't overpowering the platforming this time.

That's exactly how I feel. I'll see if the game holds up this great balance all the way to the end.

Oh my god, they did it.They actually did it. They actually brought back
Sly's horrible Italian accent

...this game man. This friggin' game.

Can anyone figure out how to get the trophy for gliding 10 seconds straight? I tried from the tallest building in
the Arabian world
but it still didn't unlock.

Weird, I was able to get it in episode 3.

Drago

Anybody know how long this game clocks at?
I hear over 20 hours if you want to do everything.

All the positive impressions in the thread are making me want this more and more. Friday can't come soon enough! I'd like to finish my playthrough of Ratchet & Clank before I start this though, but I'm only about 40%ish through the game, and I don't think I could finish it before I get this. Ah well, it'll have to wait :D

Derrick01

Banned
Just started playing and first thing I notice is something that seems to happen with most of the games I play. I don't know if it's my TV/speakers or the PS3 but physical games always seem to have much lower sound than digital. I had to turn my TV up 5 notches to get it to the level it was at for the demo. It's not just this game either, I'm usually turning it down for PS+ games.

VanWinkle

Just started playing and first thing I notice is something that seems to happen with most of the games I play. I don't know if it's my TV/speakers or the PS3 but physical games always seem to have much lower sound than digital. I had to turn my TV up 5 notches to get it to the level it was at for the demo. It's not just this game either, I'm usually turning it down for PS+ games.

Huh. That's odd. :/

But yeah, I'm really loving the balance the game has struck in gameplay.

kadotsu

Banned

Does your TV do 5.1 passthrough? Maybe the game sends a 5.1 signal to your TV, which is often more quiet. Try disabling 5.1 codecs.

The Lamp

Speaking of sound, does anyone else occasionally have the sound cut out for a second or two and come back? Also the game has frozen for like a split second a few times while playing. My PS3 can't be dying because I had it repaired and pampered just a few months ago and all other games have worked fine... Hmm.

Ridley327

LMFAO @ the
training montage for Bob
in episode 3;
they even did a Sly-themed theme song for it.
Good luck getting the trophy for that one, though; a couple of those are absolutely brutal at the speed they ask you to do them at.

Bob is pretty much the best Cooper.

So the quote I posted from the gaming age review earlier in the thread is total horseshit:
"the missions in each Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time chapter are set up around what looks like an open world hub. I say "looks like" because the game progression is totally linear. There is never a point in the game where you need to choose between more than one job at a time, so you are always pushed forward."

The first frigging world gives you mission choices after the first few missions. Gaming Journalism.

Agent X

I played the game only briefly yesterday--basically the portion from the demo. Earlier tonight, I started the feudal Japan area, and the visuals are quite striking! It's quite a step up from the initial area, with lots of detail and color, and plenty of interaction with the level as well.

MarkusRJR

I've never played a Sly game before but I enjoyed the Vita demo. Should I buy the PS3 collection or should I be fine with just getting the new game?

KalBalboa

Banned
So the quote I posted from the gaming age review earlier in the thread is total horseshit:
"the missions in each Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time chapter are set up around what looks like an open world hub. I say "looks like" because the game progression is totally linear. There is never a point in the game where you need to choose between more than one job at a time, so you are always pushed forward."

The first frigging world gives you mission choices after the first few missions. Gaming Journalism.

Yeah, I played for about 45 minutes and got to the first hub world. I'm digging the open nature and how free-form the levels and objectives feel. This is my second Sly game after the original, so it feels really fresh and developed to me.

I've never played a Sly game before but I enjoyed the Vita demo. Should I buy the PS3 collection or should I be fine with just getting the new game?

In my opinion, you should get the collection first. That way you will be familiar with the characters and humor.

KalBalboa

Banned

I'd play Sly 1, at the very least. It's simple and the HD version on the PSN is cheap. You'll learn enough about the franchise and still have plenty to appreciate when it comes to the improvements Sly 4 brings to the table.

Tizoc

Well I started dling yesterday and am now almost 50% done. Left my ps3 to finish the dl and install it so hopefully by the time I get home the game's already installed and I can start playing it before bed XO

Yeah, okay I dont know what Sessler is talking about. I thought he was a big Sly fan and this feels just like Sly. Its not a huge step in the series but Im okay with that, its been years since we've had a new game. I wanted to go back into that world. Dont know what his problem is.

PS3 version looks fantastic, they nailed the cartoony look while still adding more detail to character designs and environments.

Vita version looks great even with the lack of post processing but the load times are super bad.

VanWinkle

Oh my goodness Cross-save just works magnificently. I was playing the Vita version at my fiancee's house, and then uploaded the save to the cloud from the start menu before I left. Then I came home, booted up the game on my PS3, downloaded that save and I was right back where I left off. Amazing.

Finished the first world, this game is still strong. The El Jefe boss fight was surprisingly good too, as well as everything leading up to it.

The first world felt a little shorter than, say, the first world in Sly 2, but it's still quality.

And with the first two jobs I've done in the second world, I still have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this game a lot.

OmegaZero

All these impressions are making consider buying this.
Especially the "more Sly, less shitty friends and minigames" gameplay ratio.

How long are the load times compared to pre-patch WipEout 2048?

The load times in the PS3 version are quite bad, very jarring after just finishing Sly 2 and 3 HD with their smoother transitions. There's even a 2 second load when you get to a mission marker "loading mission" lol

But I'll give them props for fixing my biggest gripe with Sly 2/3.......when I finish a Murray mission, I no longer have to lumber halfway across the map to the safehouse to change back to Sly.....you automatically start at the safehouse after the mission complete screen. Good game design. Finally! Was so tedious.

Duffyside

Banned
Oh my goodness Cross-play just works magnificently. I was playing the Vita version at my fiancee's house, and then uploaded the save to the cloud from the start menu before I left. Then I came home, booted up the game, downloaded that save and I was right back where I left off. Amazing.

Yeah, the Cross-Save stuff is absolutely perfect. I posted something in a related thread asking how it works, but it couldn't be more straight-forward.

Top Bottom