• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

...and that's a wrap! I've beaten the game. I'll post my full impressions later to tell what a I liked, didn't like, and what can be improved tomorrow.

So they do have a purpose! I couldn't figure out if the
treasures
were actually doing anything.

Only the ones from with the safes do it.

krae_man

Playing with headphones also helps with the bottles. You'll hear even the faintest bottle sounds.

That's how I grabbed them all in Sly 1 and 2.

Anyway I've played this for a couple hours. Right up to saving
rioichi cooper

Game glitched out on me right before I saved him and all the sound effects stopped completely. Everything went back to normal after I finished the job thankfully but it still sucked. I hope this isn't a glitchy pile of crap.

Anyway apart from the prologue it's been all Sly so far, hope it stays that way as long as possible. Playing as Sly never gets old.

In the IGN review Moriarty seemed to really push that the game just wasn't as good on Vita as it was on PS3. I was planning on probably going Vita only with this. Not a good move? Player opinions?

Duffyside

Banned
Boy am I glad I got this game. I posted some mixed impressions from the demo, but decided I just had to buy the game to support it at $40 and YOPO. And much to my delight, much of my issues are absent in the full game - the music has a much bigger range than annoying trumpets (and I like the music other than that); the game might not be open-world, but the hubs are big enough with a ton of stuff to do, which addresses my fear of a too-linear game; the Sly gameplay isn't quite as hand-holding as I feared, though it is a fairly easy game (which is somehow a breath of fresh air); and I barely ever waste time smashing boxes and stuff, as coins are plentiful (and given mercifully even after death).

Yeah, I really like it, and I couldn't even get past a few hours in the first Sly in the collection as I got bored. The world is just so beautiful and the gameplay so varied. It's a joy to look at and experience, pretty much all the time. I'm constantly stunned at how much love is poured into every section; even an area which will take literally less than two seconds to tear through has plants and flowers and lightning bugs... to me, even the one little section looks better than the entirety of most games these days.

Man, I hope those layoffs at Sanzaru weren't true (but probably are). I've become a big Sony fan during this generation, but their treatment of 2nd party studios has been pretty shameful, and this might be the worst offender; Sanzaru proved themselves to me here to be able to make one hell of a game. If Sony is too dumb to keep them around, maybe MS can pick them up and have them make a new Kameo or something. They deserve it.

TripOpt55

I am in World 4 and loving this. I'd actually say its my favorite Sly game unless it takes a nosedive or something. There are more linear levels I think than in 2/3 and it also has bigger hubs with more stuff to explore for. So it is kind of the best of both worlds in terms of structure. The balance between Sly/ancestors and other characters has been good. Generally leaning towards the Coopers for a good majority. Even the other characters have some good missions though. The ancestors are fun as is seeing them interact with Sly. And I think time travel allows for some really cool levels. The third one caught me off guard in a good way and they have all been very fun. The fourth has been my favorite so far (though I'm not finished it yet). The bosses are good. I don't know. I am just loving this game.

wouwie

I still do not understand why Europe is getting a release date 2 months later than US. Has any reason been given for this? Doesn't make any sense to me. The popularity of this game isn't big to begin with (judging by how slow this thread moves, it's even less than i'd imagined) but releasing it with two months delay and during a busy game period means that this game will not sell at all in Europe.

Sometimes, i really do wonder about Sony, marketing and common sense. You'd start to think they want certain games to bomb.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In the IGN review Moriarty seemed to really push that the game just wasn't as good on Vita as it was on PS3. I was planning on probably going Vita only with this. Not a good move? Player opinions?
Well...it looks nearly as good but runs at half the framerate (30 fps instead of 60) but it feels great on Vita. Load times are indeed lengthy but they aren't short on PS3 either.

There are some minor visual changes but, all in all, it looks remarkably good and plays well.

jwk94

...and that's a wrap! I've beaten the game. I'll post my full impressions later to tell what a I liked, didn't like, and what can be improved tomorrow.

Only the ones from with the safes do it.
Interested to see what you have to say. At the moment, I haven't found anything that's too bad about the game. Obviously the framerate bothers me on he Vita version, but else that major.

It's good, but possibly not as good as it could have been. There are visual downgrades due to lack of cell-shading which makes the game look worse than the PS3 versino but not by such a large margin that it's bothersome. Framerate, like an earlier poster said, is running at 30 FPS on the Vita version versus 60 FPS on the PS3 version.

I've also noticed that the Vita version's framrate tends to take a hit whenever there's a lot going on-screen. For example, compared to the previous titles, this game drowns you in coins to the point where you'll hit a box and get close to 10 coins a piece. This means if you stumble across a load of boxes or breakable objects (which happens a lot) you'll be showered in coins which makes the framerate dip quite a bit. I'm not much of a framerate person, so when I can see it, it's bothersome.

Otherwise, you'll be getting the same experience as you would with the PS3 version with the added convenience of portability and the ability to take a break and resume wherever you left off whenever you please.

I found myself playing the Vita version more than the PS3 version in the first 12 hours or so, then I started to switch between the versions to get a generally idea of how both are (i also love using cross save). Having a Vita also makes treasure finding soooo much easier. Thank you Sanzaru for implementing AR functionality. Hopefully more devs follow suit.

VanWinkle

The visuals do indeed look very nice on Vita, but I feel like, with more optimizations they could have got all of the visual effects in being at 30fps. I think there are more visual shortcuts than there needed to be (especially no cel shading, but also the lack of self-shadowing and some of the lighting effects). Regardless, I don't feel like switching between the PS3 and Vita versions is jarring at all. In fact I was playing the same are on both at the same time and it still wasn't jarring; they both felt great. I do appreciate that the texture quality seems to be the same.

Salaadin

Maybe Im being overly easy to please but I dont mind the other graphical issues since the game is native res. We have too few native res games on Vita and Im really liking the overall crispness of it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've only played Sly 1 (not sly 2 or 3), but the hub stuff works pretty well. Is this how Sly 2 and 3 were designed? I like linear platformers but this game kinda reminds me of BK.

I've only played Sly 1 (not sly 2 or 3), but the hub stuff works pretty well. Is this how Sly 2 and 3 were designed? I like linear platformers but this game kinda reminds me of BK.

It's really similar in structure to 2 and 3.

And when I stop to look at it, the game-world is really lush and pretty overall, yet the areas just outside the safe-houses look particularly good. Just compare a random spot to the area just outside the safe-house in world 1.

Salaadin

Thieves in Time is designed better than Sly 2 and 3, imo.
Im only on Act 2 right now but Im having more fun with this one than I did with Sly 2 or 3. Assuming theres nothing coing up thats going to make me hate it, Id rank it right behind Sly 1 which says a lot considering this wasnt even made by Sucker Punch. Sanzaru knows Sly.

wgwP2Z7.jpg
JVm76Gu.jpg

Best. Operation. Ever.

I'm pretty disappointed that winning the table tennis minigame didn't net me anything :/

I think there are trophies for the table tennis minigame.

Derrick01

Banned

Sly 2 and 3 were designed like that with the hubs but weren't very well done IMO. I'm only on the first level in this game but I think the level design here is much stronger and more creative than those games. I like how the collectibles are placed too, some of these treasure runs are pretty challenging already.

VanWinkle

Sly 2 and 3 were designed like that with the hubs but weren't very well done IMO. I'm only on the first level in this game but I think the level design here is much stronger and more creative than those games. I like how the collectibles are placed too, some of these treasure runs are pretty challenging already.

Yeah, some of the collectibles in the hub worlds are pretty difficult to get.

OwlyKnees

I, for one, am glad that we have access to multiple characters and play-styles. Playing as Sly for the entire game could (as evidenced by my experience with Sly 1) get real old, real fast.

Camjo-Z

oh snap

Was hunting around in the third world for treasures... and I found the "Lutrela Nivadensis"!
a.k.a. Daxter!

This game just gets better and better.

OwlyKnees

Yeah, I always appreciated the nods and winks between Jak, Ratchet and Sly in their respective games. Some nice Easter eggs to be found.

Maybe it'll be revealed that Sly Cooper is the past of Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter is an alt. dimension

Also, World 5 is awesome. You can ride
the magic carpet! :D

Jeels

Still on World 1 but loving this game. I am a little frustrated with the collect-a-thon. One of the little Sly logos was in a crate of all places within a job. That's horrible. I hope there isn't a lot of stuff like that.

VanWinkle

Why did people complain about that boxing section? It took like 30 seconds lol.

Seriously loving this game. Third world is so awesome visually. While looking at the second world side by side on Vita and PS3 showed a pretty big difference, it doesn't seem to be nearly the same disparity between the two on the third world.

Control-wise, the Murray mechanics aren't as solid as they were in the past two games since his regular punches don't knock most enemies out in one hit; his new moves are varied and pretty useful though. Also, swinging on a hook while playing as the Coopers isn't as smooth as before, as if there's no momentum taken into account.

Other than that, everything else feels okay.

VanWinkle

I'm playing a little Sly 3 right now on the HD Collection, and my goodness, the difference in visuals is INSANE, even looking at the Vita version in comparison. Can't believe some people have said it looks like the HD Collection visually.

usctrojan

I wanna do the same thing. Something about owning the actual cart that attracts me.

Berordn

I can't be the only one who hates this term.

The other characters show up soon enough. There aren't a bunch like in 3 though.

Well, in 2 and 3 they were remarkably shitty, so it isn't without warrant.

But yeah, Sly 4 focuses on Sly's gameplay and introduces the other characters to diversify the game a bit after long stretches of Cooper gameplay. Murray and Bentley are pretty lame still, but their segments are few and far between. They're not even that bad, especially compared to how they played in Sly 2 and 3, they're just awkward.

I'm actually surprised at how much fun Carmelita's gameplay is. She was awful in 3, but I really like her here. I can't pinpoint what's different either, it might just be how she controls.

I haven't gotten the change to buy it yet. Does it play like a combination of all three level wise?

It does, but with a bigger emphasis on platforming and Sly's gameplay. Even the hub worlds, perhaps because of how gigantic they are, have a lot of precarious platforming challenges for some of the clue bottles and treasures.

Y2Kev

This game is hella fun but holy shit at the Geisha bit. The framerate was dropping while playing...disastre!

oh also the game a little racist

Ridley327

The Geisha bit is the only minigame that goes on longer than it should have; the rest of them don't overstay their welcome and, to be honest, some of them are a lot shorter than I was expecting them to be.

I guess they really wanted to show off those hilarious warthog animations during that bit, because they are great, especially when Rioichi is getting more and more annoyed by their behavior.

Y2Kev

I hope Sly 5 is a Murray FPS about Murray's dark torture and PTSD after having to give up his virginity to el jefe

Top Bottom