• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

TripOpt55

Loving this game so far. In the middle of the third world. I think they have done a good job with both the ratio of Sly/ancestors to other characters and linear missions to hub missions. Meaning lots of good Cooper action and linear levels. The worlds feel big too.

Salaadin

Beat the first stage last night. Really fun all the way through and I didnt mind playing as the other characters that much. The boss fight was fun too.
Kid Cooper looks cool in the cutscenes but I didnt get to see much of him yet.

This is a really great game. Im glad I bought it.

Hanmik

remember guys,. if you want to collect all Clue bottles.. do world 3 (
ice age
) first.. then the rest are a piece of cake.. untill you reach the very last one on top of an elephant staue.. good luck with that bottle.. took me like 3 hours to figure out how to get it.. (I know I´m old)

I've got to hear it from GAF - what sort of game is this similar to? Is it like Okami or Castlevania SoTN or Assassin's Creed? The game looks gorgeous and I'd like to play something on the Vita, so I'm just wondering. Thanks.

Hanmik

I've got to hear it from GAF - what sort of game is this similar to? Is it like Okami or Castlevania SoTN or Assassin's Creed? The game looks gorgeous and I'd like to play something on the Vita, so I'm just wondering. Thanks.

it´s an easy platformer with lots of minigames and a decent story.. nothing like the games you mentioned..

jamsy

Tried the Vita demo.

I really wanted to love this. But it all just felt so...kiddy and simple? There was so many pointless story/cartoon bits. And the turtle's voice was just so grating and irritating...

Sad to say, but think I'll try it when it inevitably comes to Plus.

The Lamp

Gameplay wise? It's like a cartoon, streamlined and less serious mish mash of maybe Thief and Assassins Creed, but on very loose terms, and mostly a platformer with some fun mini games strewn every once in a while. It's really it's own thing, as the first Sly game came out way before AC. It's got hub world's that you navigate and do missions in, which are played by different characters if needed or whatever, in order to set up the big heist or objective for the world. I've never played Castlevania or finished Thief or Okami, though. It's also pretty easy, but just fun to play through.

And I think the full game is much better than the demo. The demo literally covers the first basic 20 minutes of the game. It gets more interesting as you play. The story I wouldn't say was pointless though because it ties in a lot of stuff that happened since Sly 3 that we should know.

glaurung

After watching the GB quick look, I have decided against buying this.

I was hoping a HD Sly to have proper HD graphics, but this is just as boring and lifeless as the HD renditions of the classic games. The animations also feel very clunky. Some of the cutscenes look fine, but the game itself? Please.

Disappointed.

The Lamp

After watching the GB quick look, I have decided against buying this.

I was hoping a HD Sly to have proper HD graphics, but this is just as boring and lifeless as the HD renditions of the classic games. The animations also feel very clunky. Some of the cutscenes look fine, but the game itself? Please.

Disappointed.

Well I disagree. The visuals are gorgeous and I'm playing it on an HD TV. Lush, full of color, and bold cel shaded graphics. Some of the scenes are just luscious and something they simply couldn't do on the pS2. The animations frequently impress me, like Slys wavering tail and the animations in the hideout, along with little things like Murrays idle animation with Broccoli lol. I like little touches how Slys paragliding detaches and falls away when he disengages it, it doesn't just disappear. Sly himself has way more animations now, like he will almost do a back hand spring to he side when you double jumps in the air and moves to the side. He also skids when he turns sharply now. Clunky animation is the farthest thing from what I would describe this game.

The Lamp

The more I watch the game play videos and guys on twitch.tv, I tend to realize just how dead the world looks in that game.

Maybe it's my fault for expecting too much.

No it isn't.

Not sure what you were expecting. It's not like grand theft auto with civilians everywhere. It just has guards because the heists are at night or in remote locations. It's pretty much like every other Sly game except i'd say much more beautiful.

Salaadin

It feels like the game was ripped straight from the PS2. I understand thats not what some people wanted but I love it.

The Lamp

It feels like the game was ripped straight from the PS2. I understand thats not what some people wanted but I love it.

That's why I'm enjoying it. I don't want screw-ups to my Sly franchise :>
It feels like a safe step in the right direction. Sure, Sanzaru could have tried more different ideas, but they opted to refine what was there instead because if they pissed off the Sly customers (the only ones probably keeping up with the fact that this game even released), they wouldn't have anyone to sell to lol.

Bladenic

I've never played a Sly game before but I enjoyed the Vita demo. Should I buy the PS3 collection or should I be fine with just getting the new game?

Absolutely get the collection. It's cheap, and you get 3 good games in one. Also, it's cool to see the characters develop over the 3 games, and the stories build upon each other. You'd be fine with getting this game I suppose, but there's no reason to skip the collection.

reson8or

Absolutely get the collection. It's cheap, and you get 3 good games in one. Also, it's cool to see the characters develop over the 3 games, and the stories build upon each other. You'd be fine with getting this game I suppose, but there's no reason to skip the collection.

Completely agree, especially since the characters do grow and have their own story arcs throughout the course of the 3 first games. Its quite the charming series, and TiT is turing out to be a great addition.

SuperPac

The more I watch the game play videos and guys on twitch.tv, I tend to realize just how dead the world looks in that game.

Maybe it's my fault for expecting too much.

No it isn't.

I had the opposite reaction when I exited the hideout in the Japan area I thought there was too much to look at and distract the eye. The clue bottles definitely don't stand out as much as they used to.

Loving the game - as someone who was way into Sly 1 this game is exactly what I wanted to see. Lots of good platforming, light stealth, fun minigames (man that second Bentley side-scroller was awesome) - it's a great little package, especially w/the Vita cross-play and AR stuff. Sanzaru has done such a great job reviving this after 7 years. Kinda irks me to see it getting shit on. :\

Bah, I know where the last treasure is in episode 2, but I can't find the arrow bucket that can reach the distance to get it.

EDIT: ...found it; I was looking too hard. :I

EDIT X2: ..turns out that wasn't the last treasure. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

jwk94

Oh god,
Caveman's
execution move caught me off guard
KuGsj.gif

Drago

Got this today instead of tomorrow. :D

Played for an hour and a half today, just saved
Riochi
. Game is pretty good so far, it looks great and it's really fun. Will dig more into it over the weekend, I wanna try to get through Ratchet and Clank first. :d

jwk94

I'm in the fourth area and for some reason, I can't use he rings properly? Am I doing something wrong? I was springing from them just fine earlier in the game.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Finally played the demo - did anyone notice the hippo wasn't wearing any pants? - his punches also made no sound. Could have done without him.

The Sly bits were actually really fun, gave me really nice early 2000's platformer vibes without seeming dated. Didn't mind the minigame stuff either. Is the PS3 'PSN' version crossbuy too?

Derrick01

Banned
Is there some thing I'm supposed to do with the save file to get it to download on to the Vita version? I hit cross save in the menu but it keeps throwing errors at me, I guess it can't connect to the server. I know the save is uploaded from PS3 since I manually did it last night just to make sure.

VanWinkle

Finally played the demo - did anyone notice the hippo wasn't wearing any pants? - his punches also made no sound. Could have done without him.

The Sly bits were actually really fun, gave me really nice early 2000's platformer vibes without seeming dated. Didn't mind the minigame stuff either. Is the PS3 'PSN' version crossbuy too?

Yup.

Is there some thing I'm supposed to do with the save file to get it to download on to the Vita version? I hit cross save in the menu but it keeps throwing errors at me, I guess it can't connect to the server. I know the save is uploaded from PS3 since I manually did it last night just to make sure.

I've never had that problem. I haven't heard from anyone about it either, so I don't know what to tell you. :( Hopefully it starts working.

jwk94

Try rebooting your PS3 and make sure you're signed into PSN.

nOoblet16

Dear God I HATE Murray's mini games (fuck the boxing game), in fact most of the mini games regardless of character are shit and filler stuff.
I'd have wanted just sly and his ancestors in gameplay...and would've liked if there was no Murray mini games or bently's stupid hacking games (which aren't too terrible but very monotonous)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So it's not possible to turn off the arrow telling me where to go?

Is Bentley actually disabled or just a slow turtle so he sits in a wheelchair?

Camjo-Z

You can click L3 to turn it off temporarily. Also IIRC Bentley got his legs crushed in Sly 2, and he's been wheelchair-bound ever since.

Tagg9

Bentley walked around in Sly 2, but he suffered an injury at the end of the game and has been in a wheelchair ever since.

Derrick01

Banned
Try rebooting your PS3 and make sure you're signed into PSN.

Doesn't work still. On vita it tries to sign in before collecting the data anyway but I just keep getting an error message. Oh well guess I'll just delete the Vita version.

This game feels just like the PS2 games, which is awesome and what I wanted. Started on the vita, and switched to the PS3 version in less than a minute it seemed. Great job Sanzaru!

Arrow only turns on after every autosave and will automatically disappear after few moments. It can only be toggled in-game, no menu setting that turns it off permanently.

And play the previous games!

jwk94

So I have one more treasure to go in the first world but I'm not sure how to get it. It's behind a yellow door that has a lever that I need to stand on to open it. I stand on the lever, but can't get back to the door in time to grab the treasure. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Oh, and did anybody else unlock
Paris
immediately after getting
Sir galleth
?

Tagg9

So I have one more treasure to go in the first world but I'm not sure how to get it. It's behind a yellow door that has a lever that I need to stand on to open it. I stand on the lever, but can't get back to the door in time to grab the treasure. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Oh, and did anybody else unlock
Paris
immediately after getting
Sir galleth
?

You need the costume from the fifth world.
Then you slow down time and can get inside before the door closes.

Tizoc

Game got installed, so I should start playing it today X3.
When I got back from work the PS3 had been incorrectly shut down which casued to do a system restore. Thankfully it seems the downloaded data was not affected \m/

jwk94

Darn Clue bottles, I love/hate you so much. I'm at 29/30 and I'm running around in circles listening for that dang chime.

Use the Vita!

Actually, I sudenly was able to
track clue bottles with the map
is that a powerup or something? I don't remember getting it.

Top Bottom