• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

I'm actually surprised at how much fun Carmelita's gameplay is. She was awful in 3, but I really like her here. I can't pinpoint what's different either, it might just be how she controls.

Most likely the strafing and the lock-on that make it better; it's similair to Tennessee's and he's pretty much everyone's favourite ancestor, at least gameplay-wise.

Ridley327

Most likely the strafing and the lock-on that make it better; it's similair to Tennessee's and he's pretty much everyone's favourite ancestor, at least gameplay-wise.

I'd say it's a toss-up between him and Galeth for gameplay, although my heart belongs to
Bob Cooper
just for the humor they get out of him.

It will be a while before we'll know if it's a hit or not. Due to it not releasing in Europe for another month and a half.

I'm actually shocked that on the UK Amazon preorder charts, it's at rank 37. Which is high for a game with little/no exposure over here.

OwlyKnees

I'm playing a little Sly 3 right now on the HD Collection, and my goodness, the difference in visuals is INSANE, even looking at the Vita version in comparison. Can't believe some people have said it looks like the HD Collection visually.

You're absolutely right. Memory is a reconstructive process, and the people who claim it's not improved over the HD collection need to reevaluate the collection.

On a related note, we're far past the stage of many current gen games having muted colours and washed-out filters, but it's rare to get a game this colourful.

You gonna predict near a million or more sold for this game?

No, what he is saying that you should not make snap judgments on a game's sales based on how many replies it has on a gaming forum. That's just stupid.

PSASBR has nearly 10,000 posts, and you don't see it flying off the shelves, alternatively, AC:L has a mere 2,500 posts yet it's sold around 600,000 units.

So, no, page numbers mean nothing at all.

On Topic: Just got to the 3rd world. I really want to pace myself so I don't blow through it too fast, but it's just so damn good...

Duffyside

Banned
You're absolutely right. Memory is a reconstructive process, and the people who claim it's not improved over the HD collection need to reevaluate the collection.

On a related note, we're far past the stage of many current gen games having muted colours and washed-out filters, but it's rare to get a game this colourful.

Yeah, totally. One of the most enjoyable titles to look at this entire generation. When a game even makes
desert locations
colorful and vibrant, you know the developers are doing something special artistically.

It will be a while before we'll know if it's a hit or not. Due to it not releasing in Europe for another month and a half.

I'm actually shocked that on the UK Amazon preorder charts, it's at rank 37. Which is high for a game with little/no exposure over here.

IMO I'm pretty confident that a good portion of people in EU wanting to play the game impotred it, mostly not wanting to wait for the EU release date.

EDIT: It's currently 21 on Amazon's Best Sellers (NA).

Loudninja

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time coming March 29th for EU
Hey there PS Blog. With Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time’s 29th March release date rapidly approaching; we’ve got a few things to update you on.

First and foremost, we’re happy to announce that from 20th February you’ll be able to play the full demo on PlayStation 3 and PS Vita.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013...ime-demo-release-date-and-brand-new-trailers/

No, what he is saying that you should not make snap judgments on a game's sales based on how many replies it has on a gaming forum. That's just stupid.

PSASBR has nearly 10,000 posts, and you don't see it flying off the shelves, alternatively, AC:L has a mere 2,500 posts yet it's sold around 600,000 units.

On Topic: Just got to the 3rd world. I really want to pace myself so I don't blow through it too fast, but it's just so damn good...
Yeah I just dont see the logic in page counts.

OwlyKnees

IMO I'm pretty confident that a good portion of people in EU wanting to play the game impotred it, mostly not wanting to wait for the EU release date.

EDIT: It's currently 21 on Amazon's Best Sellers (NA).

Can't comment on the others, but yeah, I imported it. Bought through PSN, as I wouldn't be using the Vita version.

Did they ever state a reason for the gap in release dates?

Duffyside

Banned

If a once-beloved, first-party exclusive can't even garner much interest on a forum dedicated to gaming, it probably won't light the sales charts on fire.

Derrick01

Banned
If a once-beloved, first-party exclusive can't even garner much interest on a forum dedicated to gaming, it probably won't light the sales charts on fire.

This series was beloved? I always got the feeling it was the third wheel to jak and ratchet back in the day.

StuBurns

Banned
I always got the feeling it was the third wheel to jak and ratchet back in the day.
Yeah, it certainly was. Sly was is pretty rad, but these games were never a big deal.

I've been thinking about those three trilogies lately, the first of each was by far the best, very strange. Not that games always get better, but it's an odd thing.

Yeah, it certainly was. Sly was is pretty rad, but these games were never a big deal.

I've been thinking about those three trilogies lately, the first of each was by far the best, very strange. Not that games always get better, but it's an odd thing.

Almost no matter how you slice it, R&C2 is better than 1. I can understand how someone could enjoy 1 more than 2 or 3, but objectively speaking, there's almost no argument to support that 1 is the best.

OwlyKnees

All for opinions and whatnot, but the first Ratchet was nowhere near considered the best in the trilogy. Sly and Jak is debatable, but certainly the first Ratchet is considered baby-steps for how the series progressed.

I think having the opinion that the first Ratchet is the best is an unusual one, most people seem to like either Going Commando or UYA much much more,

StuBurns

Banned
Almost no matter how you slice it, R&C2 is better than 1. I can understand how someone could enjoy 1 more than 2 or 3, but objectively speaking, there's almost no argument to support that 1 is the best.
Well, you could say that about the other two, but I would agree that 'by far' is really only applicable to the other two. I loved the first Sly and Jak, and barely enjoyed the sequels. R&C was more reliable, although I think it started much lower. But yeah, I guess that was extreme.

EDIT: A couple more comments, maybe I should take another look at them, I've not touched them since then, unlike Jak or Sly.

No, they were pretty bad then too.

They were just worse in 3 because you spent less than half the game playing as Sly.
Nah, they werent. They play pretty much the same as they do now as they did then. Mission distribution is similar as well, aside from world 4 when Bentley is stuck on his own for a while.

Derrick01

Banned

I prefer Up your arsenal by a lot over the other 2. I played those for the first time a few months back in the HD collection and they do not hold up well to UYA and the PS3 games. They're missing so many features/gameplay mechanics and 1 has horrible platforming control. It's like Ratchet is running on ice the entire time, he slides for a half second after letting go of the stick.

I prefer Up your arsenal by a lot over the other 2. I played those for the first time a few months back in the HD collection and they do not hold up well to UYA and the PS3 games. They're missing so many features/gameplay mechanics and 1 has horrible platforming control. It's like Ratchet is running on ice the entire time, he slides for a half second after letting go of the stick.
He actually has a skid animation after youre done running, so that is intentional.

Derrick01

Banned
He actually has a skid animation after youre done running, so that is intentional.

Intentional or not it's horrible in a platforming game where you have to make relatively precise jumps at times. Getting rid of that in the following games was a great decision, even if it was a no brainer.

Intentional or not it's horrible in a platforming game where you have to make relatively precise jumps at times. Getting rid of that in the following games was a great decision, even if it was a no brainer.
I dont know, man, Ratchet's platforming is not really that difficult. I guess I just never found it as an issue.

Now the lack of strafing, yeah, that is hard to go back to.

Salaadin

Of the three, i always preferred Ratchet and Sly over Jak. Not that Jak is bad...its just not my cup of tea.
The characters and style of Sly beat Ratchet for me. I just love Sly, Bentley, and Murry so much.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The trophy whore in me couldn't resist =3

Cross-Buy + add Sly to my ever expanding library

Will look cool having the Holy Sextology on my Trophy List

(Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sly Mini Games, Sly 4 [PS3], Sly 4 [Vita])

Ridley327

This series was beloved? I always got the feeling it was the third wheel to jak and ratchet back in the day.

Well, it's not so much a "beloved series" as it is a "beloved Sly 1."

Sony definitely put their weight more into Jak and R&C, but I feel that Sly 1 held up better than the other respective first entries of those series.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well, it's not so much a "beloved series" as it is a "beloved Sly 1."

Sony definitely put their weight more into Jak and R&C, but I feel that Sly 1 held up better than the other respective first entries of those series.

Now if Sony somehow can get back the Crash Bandicoot license ; ;

So much HD Remasters and a new entry, hell do HD² for PS4

So it's a safe bet that if I enjoyed the original trilogy I'll enjoy this one? The first game is definitely my favourite and this seems to have more in common with the later entries but I still thought those were totally decent and likeable games so if this is more of that I'm on board.

Ridley327

Now if Sony somehow can get back the Crash Bandicoot license ; ;

So much HD Remasters and a new entry, hell do HD² for PS4

It was never their license to begin with. There seems to be some signs of life of the series over at Activision, but who knows if and when that will surface.

Loudninja

So it's a safe bet that if I enjoyed the original trilogy I'll enjoy this one? The first game is definitely my favourite and this seems to have more in common with the later entries but I still thought those were totally decent and likeable games so if this is more of that I'm on board.
From the impressions this sound like the second best in the series.

VanWinkle

Yup, definitely. Has more platforming than the later two, which is nice.

Grisby

Just got done with the Geisha bit. Some light funny humor. Game continues to look beastly on the Vita.

Question: If I just want to mess around on the world can I just choose a character that has no job? Like Sly doesn't seem to have one and I just want to go collect bottles.

Question: If I just want to mess around on the world can I just choose a character that has no job? Like Sly doesn't seem to have one and I just want to go collect bottles.

Yes, you can. The only characters you need for bottles and Cooper emblems are Sly and his ancestor for that world. I think all of the bottles can be acquired by Sly using disguises and I think at least one emblem for each world needs the ancestor.

Top Bottom