• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Bently is the most fun part of the Sly 4 demo... he controls amazingly well and it's fun as hell to tear around in his wheelchair.

Also... major props to the devs for having a character with a disability in their game, and not making them some weak, drag on the group.

It's the opposite. Very cool. Very cool for kids in general, and for kids who might have a disability.

A rare thing in gaming.

Always been a fan of the Sly games so it's definitely a must buy for me when it releases.

Downloaded and installed the demo but still need to give it a try.

SykoTech

- way way way to many minigames. They get boring fast
- Sly is a better character than the rest, so the rest of the people fell off when you play as them, which you do alot.

If you can answer this, is it more like Sly 2 or 3? I go through that stuff pretty well in Sly 2, but Sly 3 went way too far for me. Especially when it came to Sly's friends (that Dimitri segment...yikes).

I'm curious to see what the reviews says and how the demo plays, but the negative comments about the vita version are depressing

If they couldn't get it right by the PS3 version's launch they should have just delayed it. It's not like a month or two from now vita owners are going to be swamped with games :( Sony clearly isn’t pushing quanity, at least focus on quality

I'll wait for the demo and reviews, but seriously, fuck long load times

is there going to be local co-op mode?
Not to my knowledge. I think it is a single player experience. Even the last game only had a few multiplayer modes, but no type of co-op.
Should I play this if I've never done a Sly game before? Or should I play 1-3 first?
Check the FAQ section in the OP. ^_^ but my personal opinion is "yes". It'll be more enjoyable since the game has been described as a "love letter" to fans of the franchise.

Hanmik

If you can answer this, is it more like Sly 2 or 3? I go through that stuff pretty well in Sly 2, but Sly 3 went way too far for me. Especially when it came to Sly's friends (that Dimitri segment...yikes).

I have only played Sly 1... sorry ..

but there are lots of minigames.. but I have some good news but will put it under spoiler tag, because not everyone wants to know this
Dimitri is only in the cutscenes, he is not a vital character in this game..

Evolved1

Should I play this if I've never done a Sly game before? Or should I play 1-3 first?

You could go into this not playing a sly game. But the HD collection is fantastic... and kinda cheap now.

Then again you might have Sly fatigue if your try and get through all three and then play this. Idk... I would never recommend not playing a Sly game. But you could.

Salaadin

Hanmik, youre playing a version from December, right? Im hoping that they fixed or at least reduced the load times since then.

When does it? I'm italian and I have created an account only for the Sly demo, so I don't know the american update times.
Americans dont even know the American update time. Its different every week.

Hanmik, youre playing a version from December, right? Im hoping that they fixed or at least reduced the load times since then.

It's retail code. Game has been done since late October from what I remember. So if load times are to be fixed, it will be in a day one patch, not in a new version of the game since this is final retail code.

Salaadin

It's retail code. Game has been done since late October from what I remember. So if load times are to be fixed, it will be in a day one patch, not in a new version of the game since this is final retail code.

Ahh ok. So I guess we find out next week. Thanks for the info.

graywolf323

was hoping they would spend this time polishing it further

Hanmik

Americans dont even know the American update time. Its different every week.

Yes it´s a December version of the game.. but I was told it was the final Review code.. maybe they managed to better them.. but they would bite their own ass if that is happening. Every reviewer I have heard of has the same version.. so they will all notice.

dan2026

The game is ready from September, they already polished it.

Then they did a terrible job by all accounts.

Reviews (and everybody else) are going to slate it for the long ass load times and the other issues.

This is not shit the Vita needs now. Fuck sake.

VanWinkle

Reviews (and everybody else) are going to slate it for the long ass load times and the other issues.

You have been by far the most vocal opponent of the long load times. Most of us haven't even mentioned any sort of disgust with it. Just don't get the game. I will let you know if they ever patch it and then you can consider after that.

Hanmik

ahh come on it´s not the end of the world..the game is fun and a good platformer. It´s good at what it does right.. it not a bad game. It just has some problems holding it back from being a great game. Otherwise I wouldn´t have wasted so much time collecting everything in the game.!

feli

Sure, but I think that Sony did a bad job with this game. What is the point? Why they are being this lazy with this game? They haven't released great outstanding games last winter, why they are pushing Sly so much?

I think that they don't believe in the potential of this platform game.

Salaadin

I dont understand why its load times are so long. I mean, its an issue weve seen on the Vita before but I always hoped that something like that would work itself out over time. I think the last game I played with long loads was Gravity Rush and I didnt mind that for the most part.

I love Sly so the loads dont affect me much anyways. I want this game badly.

Looks good, and can't beat that price. But something is bothering me here...I remember when that Elysian Tale game came out everyone seemed to be up in arms about how it was a furry game for furries...how come nobody is saying that about the Sly Games?

Both series are great, but im curious about this.

VanWinkle

Looks good, and can't beat that price. But something is bothering me here...I remember when that Elysian Tale game came out everyone seemed to be up in arms about how it was a furry game for furries...how come nobody is saying that about the Sly Games?

I never even knew such a thing as furries existed back when Sly 1 came out. Did it?

BioHazard

You could go into this not playing a sly game. But the HD collection is fantastic... and kinda cheap now.

Then again you might have Sly fatigue if your try and get through all three and then play this. Idk... I would never recommend not playing a Sly game. But you could.

Yeah I actually have the HD collection, but unopened! D: I'll play through it sometime but I didn't want to try and rush through it in time for Thieves in Time, because I would probably be burnt out. I think I'll get this and go back and play through the HD collection in order later, at my own leisure

Tagg9

Um wat? Who said that?

Number45

Furries? So any game that involves animal main characters and a cartoon style is for furries now? The 16/32-bit eras must have been furry heaven.

EDIT: Also, will buy. Not sure whether to YOPO or just get the Vita version (where I'm more likely to play it).

Evolved1

Furries? So any game that involves animal main characters and a cartoon style is for furries now? The 16/32-bit eras must have been furry heaven.

EDIT: Also, will buy. Not sure whether to YOPO or just get the Vita version (where I'm more likely to play it).

I used to have an avatar (on other forums) that was the Disney Robin Hood, because he was always my favorite character growing up... and then the internet ruined it for me. :(

I never even knew such a thing as furries existed back when Sly 1 came out. Did it?

That must be what it is. Maybe it's just me but it seemed like that Elysian game had a negative stigma about it and this one doesn't seem to have that, but I guess its because its a sequel to a series that started before the whole lol-furry internet stuff/memes.

But, ANYWAY...I need to wrap up sly 3 so I can be ready for this on Vita. @_@

Sure, but I think that Sony did a bad job with this game. What is the point? Why they are being this lazy with this game? They haven't released great outstanding games last winter, why they are pushing Sly so much?

I think that they don't believe in the potential of this platform game.
Not sure i know what you mean. How are they being "lazy"? They are trying their best to get a full HD PS3 caliber game on the Vita, without having to cut content or anything like that. If anything they should be commended on the effort.

I believe the change in date was due to the fact that Sony thought PSASBR would be a great way to promote Sly, similar to DmC & Revengance.

Why not push Sly? Great games like this should be made more often. Mario has like no competition in the traditional 3D Platformer genre, so it's not like there are too many for them to release one and it not be profitable.

Salaadin

That must be what it is. Maybe it's just me but it seemed like that Elysian game had a negative stigma about it and this one doesn't seem to have that, but I guess its because its a sequel to a series that started before the whole lol-furry internet stuff/memes.

But, ANYWAY...I need to wrap up sly 3 so I can be ready for this on Vita. @_@

Ive seen the label tacked onto Sly before too. Not on gaf but other forums. Its irritating to see people slap such a stupid thing onto good games.

Kambing

That seems like it will be the biggest complaint from critics, but since the games were made for a younger audience, I don't really see the big deal. It has never been about difficulty, its been about the fun, and that's what I love about the franchise.

Yeah i can definitely feel the "fun" that the game creates, so in that regard it does excel.

The first levels are historically extremely linear and pretty limited in scope design-wise. With any luck, the rest of the game should be a bit deeper. But I can see that being a valid complaint with the series as a whole.

Ah okay, this is good to know.

VanWinkle

Not sure i know what you mean. How are they being "lazy"? They are trying their best to get a full HD PS3 caliber game on the Vita, without having to cut content or anything like that. If anything they should be commended on the effort.

I believe the change in date was due to the fact that Sony thought PSASBR would be a great way to promote Sly, similar to DmC & Revengance.

Why not push Sly? Great games like this should be made more often. Mario has like no competition in the traditional 3D Platformer genre, so it's not like there are too many for them to release one and it not be profitable.

Yeah, I find what he said odd. This seems like a complete labor of love from Sanzaru. Sony should be commended on letting the game come out in an age where 3D platformers on HD consoles have all but disappeared.

Reclaimer

Although I wasn't head over heels in love with Sly 2 and 3, I was gushing with Sly Cooper love when the first released.

I'm hoping Sanzaru is able to being back some of that magic. Very much looking forward to playing it on the Vita!

Updated the FAQ section to include the ability to use the "cross-save" feature that some asked about.

I was going to play around in my HD collection a bit in anticipation, but all my saves disappeared. :( It's funny because out of all my game saves they were the only ones I somewhat cared about, but were the only ones to vanish.

wouwie

Yeah I actually have the HD collection, but unopened! D: I'll play through it sometime but I didn't want to try and rush through it in time for Thieves in Time, because I would probably be burnt out. I think I'll get this and go back and play through the HD collection in order later, at my own leisure

I would definately recommend playing them at your own leisure. Maybe leaving some time in between the different games. I played Sly 1, loved it and immediately started with Sly 2 which is a long game. After about 15 hours or so of Sly 2, i felt a slight feeling of burn-out coming up so i had to stop playing them.

However, i'd definately recommend playing at least Sly 1 at some point. Great game.

Wait, what? That's the first time I've ever heard of such a cameo, and my Google-Fu brings up absolutely nothing on it.
Apparently he, Bentley, and Murray are in it, as well as Daxter from Jak and Daxter. Hmm, don't quote me on that though, I'd have to see the movie to verify. So until I can, I think I'll edit that little detail out. Unless someone who has seen the movie can say for sure.

Also, Dax has a cameo as a treasure in Theives in Time. sogood.gif

Top Bottom