• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

Salaadin

Is this game native res on Vita? It looks pretty freaking crisp.
Im sold based on this demo. Its Sly Cooper and thats exactly what I want.

Musolf815

I want this game so bad, I loved all the other games and have been waiting for this forever. I just hope it's a worthy sequel, I really like all the nice touches and callbacks they've put in from what I've seen.

Berordn

Bentley was fun in the demo but Murray is horrid.

Yeah Murray was downright awful, worse than I remember him being in the PS2 games. Bentley doesn't seem like he's changed any and since he kind of took over in the third game at least he has a fleshed out playstyle.

Still preordered it, even though reviews seem to echo the shitty frienditis getting out of hand. hopefully Sly's portions make up for it.

Murray, Bentley and Carmelita have been there since Sly 1. People asking them to disappear after three games are just asking a lot, I feel.

And yknow, I dont know why people have so much issue with how they play. Murray is slow and lumbering but he makes short work out of mooks, Bentley isnt so slow but is more fragile than Sly and cant hide, but he has his sleep darts to help avoid trouble. Majority of the time in the Sly 2 had you playing as Sly. Sly 3 had its issues but this seems to be going back to Sly 2 style with the platforming hub (which isnt that different from Sly 1, wow now theyre not levels), having only the original trio playable (ignoring Sly's ancestors since theyre basically him), clue bottles and different heist preparations that ranged from stealth, platforming, to short minigames. If thats not your cup of tea, that sucks I guess.

tha_devil

No buy for me, i bought the hd trilogy a while ago.

I really enjoyed the first game, finished it.

I started the second game, but its really dragging on me :(

So i must try finish it and the third game first, but im afraid i will be hit with sly cooper fatigue. Is this game doing anything new?

Salaadin

The load time complaints for the Vita version are valid. These are loooong.
They arent a deal breaker but I do hope for a patch

SmithnCo

Excited, especially for cross-play.

Man, I really need to finish 2 and 3 of the collection before getting it. Maybe I'll do a marathon this weekend.

Yawnier

Banned
No buy for me, i bought the hd trilogy a while ago.

I really enjoyed the first game, finished it.

I started the second game, but its really dragging on me :(

So i must try finish it and the third game first, but im afraid i will be hit with sly cooper fatigue. Is this game doing anything new?

Same exact thing happened to me.

I beat the first Sly sometime last spring on the HD collection and loved it, fast forward to the second game and I just disliked it. The open world aspect of 2 just felt 'dead', and Murray and Bentley I found were two characters not that fun to play as. I only got a few hours into it before quitting.

If this game is more similar to Sly 1 rather to 2 or 3, than I am probably in.

The only problem I can think of for the vita demo is that the Binocucom doesn't have gyro controls. It really should. Maybe U:GA spoiled me a little by showing how useful they can be.

Plus recon photos by actually moving the Vita like a camera would have been enough to sell me on it.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I think after playing the Vita demo and being underwhelmed with the performance I'm just going to cancel my preorder instead of switching up. I know I'm not going to like this anyway so I'll save the money and wait to rent it.

dan2026

Yeah I think after playing the Vita demo and being underwhelmed with the performance I'm just going to cancel my preorder instead of switching up. I know I'm not going to like this anyway so I'll save the money and wait to rent it.

Same the initial load time was long but acceptable.

When it proceeded to load for another minute after the first minigame, it started to take the piss.

Also I didn't find playing as Bentley or Murray very fun at all.

Not for me I guess.

Sorian

Banned
Is this the right thread to say that I'm not a furry but mmmmm to Carmelita? :p

That being said though. My body is ready for this game, just got through replaying the sly collection (and playing it for my fiancee because she didn't understand and now she is as hyped as I am), and I can't even explain how long this wait is.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I didn't think the PS3 load time demo was that bad...and the Sly/Bentley demos seemed cool, except for that stupid arrow telling me exactly what to do that I forgot to shut off.

I am playing the vita demo now. Where does performance seem bad? Seems fairly consistent.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I didn't think the PS3 load time demo was that bad...and the Sly/Bentley demos seemed cool, except for that stupid arrow telling me exactly what to do that I forgot to shut off.

I am playing the vita demo now. Where does performance seem bad? Seems fairly consistent.

Yeah... about that...

Necrovex

My friend is buying this game, so I plan to borrow it from him.

Chris_C

Vita demo looks really close to the PS3 version. Some of the shaders are different/missing, and the models appear to have taken a poly count hit, but it looks and plays great. I'm not bothered by the load times, though I'm not bothered by them in Wipeout either.

I'll be getting this, it's a fun, light-hearted breath of fresh air.

VanWinkle

Yeah the load times are by far the biggest problem with the Vita version for me. Hoping for a patch. I'm not that offended by bad load times, so it doesn't deter me from wanting the game, but still.

For anyone who didn't see in the Vita thread, I posted a comparison video between the Vita version and the PS3 version. A couple little scenes from each character. First time showing the scene is PS3 version and Vita version right after: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9EE7_bVme0

Stellares

Murray felt pretty bad to play as. He doesn't even feel stronger than sly, yet he is extremely slow. In sly 2 he was stronger.

The level design in the demo was ok, I will reserve my judgement for when I finish the game.

Sly felt a little floatier, and I really dislike his new design. I don't feel like the detail they added to him was necessary.

I'm worried that this is going to be a mini game fest like the third game instead of the second, but I am still hopeful.

Pomegranate

Neo Member
The game plays really great on Vita. Now all I need to do is to find somebody to give me their Vita version when they buy it for PS3 u_u

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

maybe it's just not an option in the demo... but it's not an option in the demo. as far as I can tell.

someone said hitting R3 or something with disable it... idk. but it's not a menu option in the demo.

cyborg009

Banned
I didn't really mind the loading times but playing as Murray was bad. Everything else was good.

Vita Screens

x6eD5Fq.jpg
5bcm1lF.jpg

EeVY7rj.jpg
YIf2bbr.jpg

ij9ZjxG.jpg
3W57jGY.jpg

Is there any word on how much Murray/Bentley action there is? I'm hoping since there's a whole bunch of Sly ancestors that they'll take away playtime from those two and play more like Sly.

Is there any word on how much Murray/Bentley action there is? I'm hoping since there's a whole bunch of Sly ancestors that they'll take away playtime from those two and play more like Sly.

Don't quote me on this, but I read on the PS blog site (by a mod in the comments) that they are supposed to focus more on Sly and his ancestors than the others. Again, I don't know for sure.

Duffyside

Banned
From the demo, I thought the Bentley section was MUCH better than the Sly section. Bentley involves actual platforming, while Sly involves pressing the circle button.

VanWinkle

From the demo, I thought the Bentley section was MUCH better than the Sly section. Bentley involves actual platforming, while Sly involves pressing the circle button.

I did too, but I've seen other videos of Sly stuff that look great. I'm sure it's just because it's an introduction. The big thing for me, though, is that I actually really loved the Bentley section. His animations are amazing and smooth.

Just wanted to say the thread title is great.

The demo really felt like Sly Cooper; I'm trying to think of other sereis that have dev shifts where the new games felt like a part of the series.

VanWinkle

Question?

can I play on ps3 and it would continue on my vita? does it have the cross platform save feature?

Yup!

I was just playing the demo on Vita again, and I happened to realize that my Vita's brightness was all the way down. I felt like a nincompoop. I was wondering why the PS3 version looked so much more vivid. It was much better after I cranked that thing up.

Ridley327

Yeah, the Vita demo definitely confirmed that I'm sticking to just the PS3 version; it looks like the low settings version of the game, especially with the lack of cel-shading. 30 fps really wasn't a major issue, but with a version that runs at 60 fps with all the bells and whistles, why bother?

Top Bottom