• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

Grisby

Holy shit. The game looks amazing on the vita. And yes, the load times are just a tad too long for my liking. Oh, and the VO sounded a little low.
Man, I really need to play through my sealed copy of the trilogy.
I hear you man. I'm still gonna wait to go through mine as to not have sly fatigue. But damn, I love everything about the universe in that short demo. The jazzy music and colorful graphics. Sly's team and himself seemed really fun.

Definitely going to make my way across through trilogy this year and beat them.

Skyzard

Banned
About the Vita version, were you guys talking about Wipeout load-times before all the patches or after?

And about the fps (also on Vita), was it a solid 30 fps? Was it locked to it, did it go down at all? Periods of stutter or generally a sub-30fps? And popup...? Thanks :]

If it's not great on Vita, I may wait for some patches or a sale..or at least a demo to try for ourselves in EU..later today would be great but I doubt it since it's going to take 2 months or so to make it here.

VanWinkle

About the Vita version, were you guys talking about Wipeout before all the patches or after?

And about the fps (also on Vita), was it a solid 30 fps? Was it locked to it, did it go down at all? Periods of stutter or generally a sub-30fps? And popup...? Thanks :]

If it's not great on Vita, I may wait for some patches or a sale..or at least a demo to try for ourselves in EU..later today would be great but I doubt it since it's going to take 2 months or so to make it here.

Wish you could play the demo :( Seemed to be a steady 30fps. I was kind of surprised that I wasn't taken aback by the halved framerate going from the PS3 version to this like I thought I would. I didn't even think about it. It was very much perfectly playable. Didn't notice any popup in the demo that I can remember.

Grisby

Noticed a dip in frames during a cutscene. Nothing major. I didn't complete the demo but the parts I was playing were smooth 30 fps.

Skyzard

Banned
Wish you could play the demo :( Seemed to be a steady 30fps. I was kind of surprised that I wasn't taken aback by the halved framerate going from the PS3 version to this like I thought I would. I didn't even think about it. It was very much perfectly playable. Didn't notice any popup in the demo that I can remember.

Noticed a dip in frames during a cutscene. Nothing major. I didn't complete the demo but the parts I was playing were smooth 30 fps.

Ah that is pretty awesome thanks guys, I'm happy with 30fps these days, even more so for a platformer. Hopefully they can improve the loading like they did with Wipeout..Screenshots look good.

Grisby

So crazy that you have to hold another button after jumping in order to land on something. A staple of the sly series I take it. Kinda lessons the challenge of platforming.

Ok after trying the ps3 demo the vita version looks all the more impressive. The lack of cel shading on character models really doesn't make as big a difference as I thought it would.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So crazy that you have to hold another button after jumping in order to land on something. A staple of the sly series I take it. Kinda lessons the challenge of platforming.

There is still normal platforming stuff in Sly's games... he can jump, literally, from platform to platform, to get places. The circle button is mostly to land on pointed stuff. Or cling to things. But yeah, it's heavily used when you play as Sly. They find other ways of adding challenge. In Sly 2 you eventually have the paraglider, and a bunch of different skills you use when running around. And when you go into laser rooms, or trap rooms, those are normally traditional platforming. Many of the boss fights require you to use normal platforming, though it's got some circle jumping in there as well sometimes, depends.

A theme of this franchise is variety. Sometimes it's good and sometimes, eh... but more often than not it's pretty fun. And the characters, imo, are goddamned hilarious. Even funnier than I remember. Great writing.

"The Murray!" lol...

A theme of this franchise is variety. Sometimes it's good and sometimes, eh... but more often than not it's pretty fun.

"The Murray!" lol...

For me the only segment I ever REALLY hated is Murray in the tank. I had a hard time wrapping my head around manipulating the treads while having all kinds of shit shot at me. The twin stick shooters, the races, the turrets, the Murray beat-downs, it all feels pretty painless to me, and often really fun (love the hacking stuff).

To be sure though, Sly's platforming is the highlight and the first game is the best.

Evolved1

For me the only segment I ever REALLY hated is Murray in the tank. I had a hard time wrapping my head around manipulating the treads. The twin stick shooters, the races, the turrets, the Bentley beat-downs, it all feels pretty painless to me, and often really fun (love the hacking stuff).

To be sure though, Sly's platforming is the highlight and the first game is the best.

I just went through the tank section a couple hours ago... lol really crappy part of the game. I cheesed my way through it. Enemy tanks have terrible AI. haha

demo was neat aside from the hippo but what's up with Sly's "press X to automatically jump to nearest platform"? Was that always in the series?

I'm shocked at seeing people like Sly 1 over the rest :/. It's the most linear and dull one.

Sly 2 is like the Empire Strikes Back of videogames.

The Lamp

I'm shocked at seeing people like Sly 1 over the rest :/. It's the most linear and dull one.

Sly 2 is like the Empire Strikes Back of videogames.

They just like the platforming challenge.

I really enjoyed Sly 2's design. It wasn't perfected, but I see where they were going with it. I've never felt quite so on-my-own to infiltrate and investigate a target in his fortress in a video game than in that game. The open level design lended very well to that. But I think it'll be even better now with new hardware and a new team. Hopefully they added challenging platforming to the game, though, like Sly 1 had.

DatDude

Banned
I haven't played the demo yet...

but based on the general impressions so far how is it?

I mean I'm pretty much a fan of all 3 Sly games, so as long as it still has that general FEEL, and special ATMOSPHERE to the game than I'm still going to make this day 1.

I haven't played the demo yet...

but based on the general impressions so far how is it?

I mean I'm pretty much a fan of all 3 Sly games, so as long as it still has that general FEEL, and special ATMOSPHERE to the game than I'm still going to make this day 1.

Everything you loved about the first 3 Sly games are in this one. It's MADE for the fans. All the humor, characters, and gameplay is spot on. Sanzaru really nailed this one. This seems like the first game in a long time that will actually meet and/or exceed my expectations.

I really enjoyed Sly 2's design. It wasn't perfected, but I see where they were going with it. I've never felt quite so on-my-own to infiltrate and investigate a target in his fortress in a video game than in that game. The open level design lended very well to that. But I think it'll be even better now with new hardware and a new team. Hopefully they added challenging platforming to the game, though, like Sly 1 had.

I absolutely LOVED the concept of planning and executing a complex heist with your cronies, step by step. It's quite brilliant, really, and an even better fit for the series' theme than the first game. It's a genius take on thievery, right up there with the Thief series. And there's still plenty of "instances" of linear platforming within the hubs. Though I prefer Sly 1, I have no trouble appreciating the second and third games. The theychangeditnowitsucks trope is strong here, they're underrated.

Except that fucking tank level

RobbieNick

I just finished with the Vita demo as my PS3 is in the shop getting repaired. Now this is how you do a demo! You do a short story mode showing what the game is all about, have you play as Sly, Bentley and Murray through a short, but full first caper of the game showing off the main qualities of it. Great job!

I will agree with the others here that the load times are insanely bad. I don't know what happened here. That said, can't wait to get my hands on the full game.

Hanmik

So the demo is the whole first Paris level..? ok, that shows of a lot of the gameplay, so that is a good thing..

but this is the screen you will be watching the most.. the LOAD screen..

wzRqslR.jpg

and this is how the "Hub" looks.. where you chose which character you want to play with.

Tgv2Nt1.jpg

Yeah, that's one of the best parts about the game. It's really cool for a game to build up its boss characters to such a degree. Each heist level felt like a full story arc and felt satisfying when you actually pull off the heist/fight the boss. It's the Ocean's Eleven-type experience that made me love Sly 2. 3 went overboard with minigames and general ridiculousness, so that feel was dimished somewhat in that game.

I'm hoping for a good balance of Sly 1 platforming and this type of gameplay as well.

meta4

The demo was really good or atleast the PS3 version was. It looks gorgeous and the colors really pop. I am really looking forward to buying this now.

Yazuka

Can you find the demo (PS3) on the EU PSN? You needed PS Plus right? I have that.
But I can't seem to find a demo. I might just be blind or something, but I must have missed it if its there...

meta4

Can you find the demo (PS3) on the EU PSN? You needed PS Plus right? I have that.
But I can't seem to find a demo. I might just be blind or something, but I must have missed it if its there...

It's available for all users today. Maybe the EU store has not updated yet. Try searching by title. It's def available in the US store right now so if you have a US account download it there.

Yazuka

It's available for all users today. Maybe the EU store has not updated yet. Try searching by title. It's def available in the US store right now so if you have a US account download it there.

Thanks, I'll try my US account then. =)

Tizoc

If I download the full game from the USA PSN, will I have problems to play it on my italian account?

PS3 ver. you mean? pretty sure you shouldn't have any issues. The game isn't region locked as far as we know, and I have both EU and US accounts and can play all the games I DLed on my ME account~

Carl

Not out here yet. Full game isnt out until the end of March...

Finished the PS3 demo and had a pretty good time with it. It plays like classic Sly alright, for better or worse. Murray's section wasn't particularly enjoyable, but otherwise it was good fun, and a blast from the past to visit Paris again. And damn are those graphics gorgeous. Everything is so vibrant and pops out of the screen.

It sealed my pre-order anyway.

Berordn

I'm "spoiled" by Infamous i see... I cant climb shit in this game, only the things the dev wants/forces me too.

Sly 2 and 3 were very much the precursors to Infamous. Sly can only use his abilities on specific designated points but he can still go "anywhere" in the hub worlds. The games encourage you to stick to the roofs too.

Evolved1

So the demo is the whole first Paris level..? ok, that shows of a lot of the gameplay, so that is a good thing..

but this is the screen you will be watching the most.. the LOAD screen..

wzRqslR.jpg

and this is how the "Hub" looks.. where you chose which character you want to play with.

Tgv2Nt1.jpg

The first level in Sly games are notoriously short and easy... that said, I bet they cut content from this on for the demo. It feels abridged, even for a Sly game.

Unless they've said otherwise, I get the feeling it's just the essential bits pieced together.

rjc571

Banned
The part of the demo where you play as Murray was really fucking horrible. Hopefully he isn't used too much in the full game.

Elios83

Just finished the Vita demo.
It seems a decent game, nothing more really. Will definetly be given for free on Plus in a few months.

The Lamp

I just played the PS3 demo. So so good. And the graphics and the environment are quite impressive. Sealed purchase right here!!

Top Bottom