• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

B.O.O.M

Getting this for my vita

Now to go with a digital copy or physical hmm

Do we know how large the digital copy size is?

olimpia84

Played the demo on the Vita and thought it was fun. Game looks pretty good imo, loading times are kinda bad though

Moze

Banned
any indication on length of the game? outside of the first game i remember the old games being pretty long

any indication on length of the game? outside of the first game i remember the old games being pretty long

Since I think there are only
chapters, and each chapter seems to be sufficiently long (based on how much you are willing to do: Mask collecting, treasures, ect.) I think it varies. But Since the hub worlds are supposedly 2-3 times larger than those seen in Sly 3, I think it will make the game a bit longer.

Pikma

Banned
I hadn't heard anything about this game, at all, but after checking out this OT, I'm quite interested in it, I hope I can get it by next week. :D

Played the demo earlier. I liked it. Seemed just like all of its predecessors, gameplay wise. Graphically, looked great. Animated cutscenes looked even better. Nice and crisp. Enjoyed Sly and Bentley's part but wasn't crazy about Murray's but I've never been crazy about controlling him.

Might not be a day one pickup since I'm still playing Ni no Kuni but definitely getting it.

Sorian

Banned
Finally got through with the demo. I agree 100% with everything that I was reading here a couple days ago. Sly plays the same (which is good, don't fix what isn't broken), Bently fills much much crisper, Murray plays......well......pretty shitty (so here's to hoping that most of the Murray levels are where they feel like implementing the obligatory mini-games). I love love love the new style of graphics for the pre and post section cutscenes (dat Carmelita, also dat Penelope who grew a foot and became hot as hell). The in-game graphics definitely look much better and I think everyone got a great face lift (except Sly who still looks awkward in the in-game engine to me). My only complaint which, I understand, gets solved in the retail version is that stupid indicator under the feet.

Since I think there are only
chapters, and each chapter seems to be sufficiently long (based on how much you are willing to do: Mask collecting, treasures, ect.) I think it varies. But Since the hub worlds are supposedly 2-3 times larger than those seen in Sly 3, I think it will make the game a bit longer.

This does worry me a bit though. That seems like a small amount of chapters if they follow the same formula of 2-3 missions, plan update, 2-3 missions, plan heist, do heist. I understand the hubs will be bigger which is great but unless that formula gets mixed up, I worry that the actual length of story will suffer.

This does worry me a bit though. That seems like a small amount of chapters if they follow the same formula of 2-3 missions, plan update, 2-3 missions, plan heist, do heist. I understand the hubs will be bigger which is great but unless that formula gets mixed up, I worry that the actual length of story will suffer.

You also forgot to counter the length of the actual jobs themselves. Also I think there aren't as many plan updates as in 2 or 3. Watching the IGN livestream, there was only one, and that was literally right at the end of the 2 hour mark.

Sorian

Banned
You also forgot to counter the length of the actual jobs themselves. Also I think there aren't as many plan updates as in 2 or 3. Watching the IGN livestream, there was only one, and that was literally right at the end of the 2 hour mark.

That is fine by me, I've tried to be as dark as possible going into this game (which is why the demo was such a big thing for me), but I am completely ok with them mixing up the formula for how the story is told. I kind of got tired in the old games when I would be able to say "alright, mission done, time for bently to tell me how we do the big heist."

SykoTech

Just got around to the demo. Murray feels slower than he did in Sly 2/3. Not liking that.

Everything else seemed great though. The visuals look a lot better in person as well.

Drago

Played the demo, LOVED it. Felt Murray could have controlled better though.

I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place, this or Fire Emblem? Ergh...

Bladenic

Hmm, not crazy about the demo. Will eventually get and probably still really like the overall game, just not day 1.

I'm really bummed out about the load times. Has the developer commented on them, suggesting they might be able to improve them?

Played the demo, LOVED it. Felt Murray could have controlled better though.

I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place, this or Fire Emblem? Ergh...

no contest for me :) . i genuinely hate the bentley/murray stuff (never finished sly2&3), & was disappointed to see its return in the demo. would probably love this series if it'd remained all sly, all the time...

no contest for me :) . i genuinely hate the bentley/murray stuff (never finished sly2&3), & was disappointed to see its return in the demo. would probably love this series if it'd remained all sly, all the time...

Then the gameplay would get stale, and people would complain that every mission felt the same. The only way to remedy that would be to put in a bunch of mini games, and that wouldn't help much.

No, I think the set-up they have now is perfect. Plus, how could you complain when you get to basically play as 5-6 different "versions" of Sly? 6 Slys, 3 friends, seems like a fine trade off to me.

Then the gameplay would get stale, and people would complain that every mission felt the same. The only way to remedy that would be to put in a bunch of mini games, and that wouldn't help much.

No, I think the set-up they have now is perfect. Plus, how could you complain when you get to basically play as 5-6 different "versions" of Sly? 6 Slys, 3 friends, seems like a fine trade off to me.

i could complain because, for me, the bentley/murray sections basically are the friggin' mini-games :) . i don't enjoy'm, &, to the extent that they're mandatory in order to get through the games, they pretty much kill them for me...

i'm fine with the sly gameplay as is - but if 'getting stale' is a concern, i'd say there've gotta be be more imaginative ways of changing it up a little than simply inserting bentley/murray stuff...

I liked Sly and Bentley in the demo but didn't care for "the Murray". That puts it in the same category as sly 2 for me.

will pick it up on release day as long as I've finished Ni No Kuni by then.

Sorian

Banned
I'm excited for levels that make use of the rail sliding on lasers. I thought that was the coolest ability Sly learned and its a shame they didn't give it to him till the very end of the trilogy (with no plans for continuation in sight). The first time I got to where the game expected you to do that and it clicked with me, I gained some new respect for how badass Sly and his dad are/were. True master thief right there.

(No, I'm not spoiler tagging a 6-7 year old game :p)

Right, because Uncharted gets stale when you play as Nathan Drake the whole game. Same goes for every other franchise where you play as a main character throughout the game.

Just because the old games had these 3 playable characters does not mean you should keep all 3 playable characters for the new game. If anything you should be addressing what didn't work, and fix it. Instead it seems they just decided to repeat the same mistakes.

Sorian

Banned
Right, because Uncharted gets stale when you play as Nathan Drake the whole game. Same goes for every other franchise where you play as a main character throughout the game.

Just because the old games had these 3 playable characters does not mean you should keep all 3 playable characters for the new game. If anything you should be addressing what didn't work, and fix it. Instead it seems they just decided to repeat the same mistakes.

Worst example you could have used in Uncharted. King of stale right there.

Huge difference in genre. Totally not the same thing, platforms and 3rd person shooters can't really be compared when it comes to gameplay mechanics.

Since the game is a type of love letter to fans of the games, keeping the playable characters from the previous games is completely necessary. Also, since we (most of us) hasn't played more than 10 minutes of each character, who is to say that the gameplay of each character haven't been "fixed"?

As long as it sticks to just Sly, Bentley, and Murray I'll be fine. I just didn't like 3 because it felt like every ten minutes I was playing a different character with a new minigame.

I'm actually surprised to see manuals now, seems a lot of games just don't include them nowadays. I'm really excited for this game now, really looking forward to playing it!

Top Bottom