• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smaller PStwo coming this year in time for GTA San Andreas!

Deg

Banned
This explains lots of things.

http://www.mcvuk.com/html/news/story.jsp?newsId=1928644

16 September 2004 by Lisa Byron
The long-expected ‘nip ‘n’ tuck’ of Sony’s PS2 console looks set to be announced next week as the games giant finally unveils its slimmed down PSTwo unit – and it will be in stores in time for Christmas.
Rumours of a ‘stripped down’ version of the console have long been circulating, with the PSOne having been introduced some three years after the launch of the original Playstation console.

Sony registered the PSTwo brand name late last year and now, four years since the PS2’s launch, the new version of the console is expected to hit retail over the coming weeks.

SCEE refused to comment on the latest speculation, although president David Reeves did discuss the PSTwo earlier this year (MCV 9/4), saying: "We made a change from the PlayStation to the PSOne, so we may, in the course of time, make some cosmetic changes to PlayStation 2 too and come out with something that’s a bit sexier, but probably no changes to specs or anything like that."

However, MCV understands that briefings for both analysts and retailers are set to take place early next week, with a global announcement expected. Further fuelling the rumours, PS2 hardware is in short supply worldwide, suggesting that Sony is winding down stocks in readiness for the roll-out of the restyled console.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=109306

PSTWO TO ARRIVE AS EARLY AS OCTOBER?

Could Sony unleash the PStwo late next month?

14:50 Remember when the downsized PSone launched, and sales of the console soared through the roof? Well, while rumours that Sony is planning a similar venture with the PS2 are hardly new, America's Hollywood Reporter is strongly suggesting that the so-called new PStwo could be set for launch in America as soon as October 26, priced at $149 (roughly 84 pounds).

According to the report, the PStwo will be 30-percent smaller than the familiar console, but will still come complete with full online functionality.

Analysts are also suggesting that the company deliberately kept current PS2 stock low during the summer, and that the release date of GTA: San Andreas was pushed back one week to coincide with the machine's alleged launch.

Now that's teamwork for you.

"Sony has not commented publicly about the device but has already applied for the copyright of PStwo," one video game analyst told the Hollywood Reporter. "A new box and console design will make the system fresh."

Talk about stating the obvious.

But despite this latest speculation, Sony is predictably remaining quiet on the matter. When we spoke to a Sony UK spokesperson earlier today, we were told that: "We are aware of the PStwo stories and all the other rumours regarding PS3 and PSP. However, at this stage, we cannot comment. Official announcements will be made when the time is right."

This certainly won't be the last we hear on this matter...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
How come any time I hear about new, relevant gaming hardware, a part of me yearns to buy it the moment it's released even though I don't really need to???

SOMEONE TELL ME WHY!?!

RiZ III

Well, Ps2s should be no more than 10 dollars cause they're made like disposable contacts. Last 2 weeks before giving you problems.

And I just bought a brand new PS2 last week! Grrr...

No actually I'm not sad, the new PSTwo might have protection against HDLoader or something, which I can't live without at this point... If there's an official LCD screen for the PSTwo though, that will be extremely sexy and tempting.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't think the articles mention it or I'm just too lazy to read them, but do they say anything about the hard drive for the PSTwo?

Chittagong

Gold Member
psp_kutaragi_walkman_new.jpg

PSP, that is. So this news is confusing!

Top Bottom