• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SmartJoy FRAG kb/mouse xbox adaptor: Early impression

shuri

Banned
It fucking sucks. There's a delay between when you start shooting and when it actually does it on screen. WHAT. THE. FUC!K. This is unacceptable. The controlling/moving around is fine, but the fact that theres a small half a second delay between the time it starts shooting, and theres also a delay then you stop shooting. The gun will continue firing for 1 second.

I'm trying to find another mouse, since maybe my old mouse is the problem. If its still doing the same thing, I just cant believe that the tools who reviewed it on big sites never noticed that.

Or maybe they were too afraid to speak up about the issue, since they didnt want the flow of free goodies from lik-sang.com.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
How could you think otherwise...?

If the game(s) wasn't/weren't designed with the peripherial in mind, than the chances of suckage are quite high. I wonderd why people were getting all excited about this thing.

Just play your fps's on the PC and be done w/ it.

Seems like the problem is due to the analog nature of the face buttons/triggers. Analog buttons never play nice w/ adapters.

Why not map 'fire' to one of the non-analog buttons?

Seth C

DaCocoBrova said:
How could you think otherwise...?

If the game(s) wasn't/weren't designed with the peripherial in mind, than the chances of suckage are quite high. I wonderd why people were getting all excited about this thing.

Just play your fps's on the PC and be done w/ it.

Seems like the problem is due to the analog nature of the face buttons/triggers. Analog buttons never play nice w/ adapters.

Why not map 'fire' to one of the non-analog buttons?

Which one would that be? Back or Start? :)

You may be able to map your keyboard and mouse anyway you like, but you can't get Halo to use anything else but the right trigger for fire.

Seth C

DaCocoBrova said:
:lol You're telling me black and white are analog?!

They've got the same feel as the other four face buttons, so I'd say so. I've never seen them used that way though, so I'd have to open the controller to be sure.

shuri

Banned
Ok just did a few tests with mices i had around.

It does this weird lag effect for two ultra cheap mices (an oldschool compaq from 1995?, and another no-name one), while it works fine without any lag on some generic microsoft mouse with the scroll wheel and a logitech one I have

o_O

Anyway, the setup is pretty straight forward, and its easy to configure. I played the first level and its damn impressive how much easier it is now with the controller.

Pros:
+ easy to configure
+ pretty damn effecient once configured right.
+ the presets are pretty damn good, except that the halo1 preset has to be adjusted for halo 2's dual wielding
+ There's a XBL headset plug right on the adaptor!

Bad:
- The connection cord is like 1 foot long. Buy an adapter!
- Seems to be a bit bitchy about cheap mices, so watch out.
- Way too pricey

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Good to hear.

How's the look sensitivity?

Are you playing this at a desk?

shuri

Banned
I set the look sensivity to the highest, and its pretty damn fine that way. You can turn around much quicker now. There's a lot of tweaking you can down the deadzone settings, but as far as I can tell, setting the look sensivity to 10 is more than enough, for me

Top Bottom