• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snake has nothing to do with Nintendo

I like how when we talk about something, there's usually a Source Gaming article about it within a few days lol

Note that it never actually says they have to be important or have a history on a Nintendo platform.

We actually have articles planned for around two weeks in advanced! I just updated the Source Gaming Schelude and 70% of October is already filled. I swear it's just coincidence! (please believe me!)

Though if you have an article that you guys would like to see, feel free to contact me! So far we've only had one direct request -- and that was an explanation of what genre Smash is in Japanese; and that was one of my favorite articles to research and compile.

Richie

Hopefully not for long if that rumored Direct happens due to the Splatoon datamining.

I've been wondering, I can believe the dataminer knowing the update coming up (they accurately predicted the next Splatfest's date), but how could they be aware of a Direct in the horizon? Don't get me wrong, I like to Believe as much as any gaffer, but...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
We actually have articles planned for around two weeks in advanced! I just updated the Source Gaming Schelude and 70% of October is already filled. I swear it's just coincidence! (please believe me!)

Though if you have an article that you guys would like to see, feel free to contact me! So far we've only had one direct request -- and that was an explanation of what genre Smash is in Japanese; and that was one of my favorite articles to research and compile.
hey man, just wanted to tell you I'm really enjoying the podcast. Any chance you will make it available through iTunes eventually?

I've been wondering, I can believe the dataminer knowing the update coming up (they accurately predicted the next Splatfest's date), but how could they be aware of a Direct in the horizon? Don't get me wrong, I like to Believe as much as any gaffer, but...

Maybe they're assuming the Octoling update would be so big it would require a Direct?

I'm not really sure the details, I've just heard the rumor floating around various websites lately.

Are there male octolings? I havent gotten splatoon yet. Even so I would think they are big enough to warrant a direct, especially if they play differently from the squids.

Did you guys see the pic of the wayforward guy getting a selfie with sakurai?

No, where was it uploaded?

Octolings play the same as Inklings, they're essentially bots in single player.

Concerning the WayForward pic, I do believe that was taken at E3.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
For the next month.........god, this is depressing.

I think the waiting game shouldn't be problem! We still have several announcement trailers to go for SFV, along with beta.

Also there are many things we could do to kill our times! We will survive this! ;D

Neoxon

I think the waiting game shouldn't be problem! We still have several announcement trailers to go for SFV, along with beta.

Also there are many things we could do to kill our times! We will survive this! ;D
Most of which are becoming more & more mundane since we have nothing but SFII characters (who, in all honestly, are starting to get a bit stale) & newcomers that already got leaked left. Though you do have a point with the beta.

Why shit? Japan fans basically want what we want minus the pretentious indie peeps

waddle_dee_by_axlrosie-d4qggj0.jpg

kirby_fox

Banned
Played Brawl again today as Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer.

If only. I find it odd however that it's pokemon trainer on select screen, but the pokemon you win as on the victory screen.

I honestly do miss Pokemon Trainer as a whole too. The small things make this game.

Played Brawl again today as Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer.

If only. I find it odd however that it's pokemon trainer on select screen, but the pokemon you win as on the victory screen.

I honestly do miss Pokemon Trainer as a whole too. The small things make this game.

Charizard is so much better without Pokemon Trainer and the gimmicky swap system. The fatigue system basically crippled three entire characters.

Ryce

I still hate that transformations are gone. The mechanic was definitely a competitive handicap, but it breathed so much creative life into Zelda, Samus, and the Pokémon Trainer. Fun and character representation are more important to me than competitive viability, honestly.

Ryce

Why would you want Zero Suit Samus gimped by the her suited self? Separating them was a blessing.
Because the Zero Suit being a rare, end-of-battle transformation reflects the Zero Suit's role in the Metroid series as a rare, end-of-game transformation. I'm probably in the minority here on GAF, but I like that kind of stuff.

jph139

Yeah, I was big on the transformations. I really love Pokemon Trainer in a way that none of his parts can really represent - he was sucky, sure, but I think some tweaks could have saved him. Unfortunately I get the feeling he's gone for good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Because the Zero Suit being a rare, end-of-battle transformation reflects the Zero Suit's role in the Metroid series as a rare, end-of-game transformation. I'm probably in the minority here on GAF, but I like that kind of stuff.

You know you could just hold down L/R (GameCube/Classic) and select her straight away so even in Brawl she wasn't "rare". It was just annoying that one could never play with FS if you used Samus.

But if you must have it like a game scenario, just think of it as loading up a save state and skipping straight to the ZSS section in Zero Mission.

Tyeforce

I wish Red could have at least appeared during Charizard's Final Smash to activate Mega Evolution...I'd be content with Pokémon Trainer's absence from the roster if he could at least live on through Charizard in some way like that. But nope... =( I just loved that Pokémon Trainer captured the essence of Pokémon like none of the stand alone Pokémon characters ever could. It's sad that we don't have anything like that anymore. I'm not as concerned about the loss of the Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zero Suit Samus transformations, because nothing was really lost there aside from the direct transformation between the characters, but with Pokémon Trainer we lost a lot more, I feel...

kirby_fox

Banned
Yeah, I was big on the transformations. I really love Pokemon Trainer in a way that none of his parts can really represent - he was sucky, sure, but I think some tweaks could have saved him. Unfortunately I get the feeling he's gone for good.

A part of me still wants to see Pokemon Trainer return fighting himself. That was a suggestion from way back in Melee days, where he could use items from in game or use Pokemon for certain moves. I liked this idea, and thought this might be what we actually were getting when seeing Pokemon Trainer was announced.

Now however seeing he is all but likely not returning in Smash 4 in any way, I'm saddened by the missing element of the protagonist of Pokemon.

Transforming from one character to another felt really bad in Brawl though. And with the series only getting bigger, it was a huge problem waiting to happen.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wish Red could have at least appeared during Charizard's Final Smash to activate Mega Evolution...I'd be content with Pokémon Trainer's absence from the roster if he could at least live on through Charizard in some way like that. But nope... =( I just loved that Pokémon Trainer captured the essence of Pokémon like none of the stand alone Pokémon characters ever could.

I was so sure that Pokemon Trainer would make his appearance in his final smash and victory poses. It was quite dissapoontment that it didn't happens.

So like Doc Louis. It would be fun if more characters were added in like Doc Louis.

If that were to be added in, I hope it's only reserved to 1 animation like Chrom and Robin, and not like Doc Louis for all 3.

Victories with things like Dark Pit with Viridi taunting Pit and Palutena, Shulk with Dunban and Riki spouting out their random victory quotes, Lucina with either Morgans as a contrast to Chrom and both Robins, or Sonic with Tails.

It would make the game have more characters in a way.

If they ever add Ivysaur back, that would be a good opportunity to add Red back as well.

He could stand in the back and give orders to just Ivysaur since Ivysaur... needs a little help being an important enough character to be in Smash.

Charizard is so much better without Pokemon Trainer and the gimmicky swap system. The fatigue system basically crippled three entire characters.

Yeah but remove the stamina and it's one of the coolest characters in Smash, imo.

Managing each Pokémon's strengths and weaknesses against different opponents was really fun. Plus I miss Ivysaur and Squirtle :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeah but remove the stamina and it's one of the coolest characters in Smash, imo.

Managing each Pokémon's strengths and weaknesses against different opponents was really fun. Plus I miss Ivysaur and Squirtle :(
People would eventually gravitate to their favourite Pokémon anyway, and then you would start getting complaints about how the game forces you to switch after a KO. The removal of transformations was a good thing.

People would eventually gravitate to their favourite Pokémon anyway, and then you would start getting complaints about how the game forces you to switch after a KO. The removal of transformations was a good thing.

For you and others sure.

Plenty of people enjoyed the switching mechanic, like myself.

kirby_fox

Banned
For you and others sure.

I would rack up damage with Squirtle, easy KO them with Ivysaur and then use Charizard when my percentage got too high since he was a heavyweight and wouldn't get knocked out.

It usually worked.

I wonder how Pokemon Trainer would be like if the swap mechanic was allocated to left and right on the dpad, down special was a unique move for all 3 like Charizard's Rock Smash, you can stay or choose what pokemon you want by holding the dpad in a certain direction upon ko, and the fatigue / stamina system was reduced or removed.

Transformations on characters like Zelda and Samus being removed is nice, but the whole idea on transformation is more significant on Pokemon Trainer than the others. It made it feel like you were actually controlling a team that had to be worked with together.

Clov

I'm glad the swapping mechanics are gone, honestly. It was nothing but annoying. Like others have pointed out, it also made playing with final smashes suck if you were ZSS/Samus. The game's a lot more fun with them out.

Dr. Buni

For someone who likes Squirtle and Ivysaur, but loathes Charizard, having to switch between Pokémon when playing the Pokémon Trainer was a huge chore. I am glad the mechanic is gone, but rather sad only Charizard stayed in the roster.

There's literally no reason Wolf would not be DLC.

None

He'll be more relevant than he was when Brawl was released.

Not sure where he got Dixie from, as just last week he said the three would be Shovel Knight, Wolf and Inkling
As far as characters go, I think it’s possible we will either see Wolf, Inkling or Shovel Knight. While Star Fox Zero has been recently delayed, it cannot stop the Smash train. If Wolf was planned to be revealed and released soon, then he will still come out.

Edit: Listening more, he seems more cautious towards believing Wolf is guaranteed, rather than directly saying Wolf isn't happening.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
For you and others sure.

Wasn't Project M implementing a tag team mechanic where you could make each stock a different character? I would be in favour of something like that, but it's not something I like in traditional Smash battles.

RomanceDawn

If Dixie Kong makes it I would be oh so super duper terrifically happy! Her and Ridley are all I need for the rest of my life. Well as it stands now. Though if we only got 3 more characters and PushDustin's are it I will be convinced Sakurai made his choices long before that ballot went live or at the very least within a month of it being open.

I say casuals know who Dixie is and not K Rool. Dixie has merchandise presence and you can be her in many games thoughout the entire game. Before DK 64 you saw him once, or maybe twice if you were good enough and that was usually at the very end. Still I bet casual Smash fans don't know about the vote or don't care to vote. People who know about the vote and exercise their ability to vote want K Rool more. At least that's how I see it. I will be surprised if Dixie gets in over K Rool.

Still whether or not Sakurai and his team used this ballot to make the next and/or final characters for this game I think it's safe to assume the info gained from it will be used for Smash games to come.

jph139

Playing with the DLC stages some, I really am surprised how much I love the Smash 64 stages. I think the limitations of the console - generally forcing things to be abstract and geometric - was 100% in their favor. Peach's Castle is just... man, what a fun stage. Bumper in the middle, slopes on the sides, the sliding brick at the bottom. I think it might actually be my favorite stage DLC so far. Sort of surprised it doesn't get much love.

Also, kinda crazy that Super Mario Maker isn't the newest game represented in Smash 4... in North America, at least, since Yoshi's Woolly World still isn't out.

SG does good translation articles but not so much character spec ones

It falls into the old trap stance that Dixie has a great great chance because relevance and Brawl, almost like GAF does a little with her and Chorus Kids, and her vs. K.Rool is a horse race they actively fuel the flames of, hence the data comparison between the two in their latest poll article

Also no chance they do not put Wolf in lol, there is no argument you can use against him that is not a huge grasp at straw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom