• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

drotahorror

Anyone want to hit up some smite right now? shoot me a pm. Chillin in skype and playin w/e modes. Level 30 if possible but I don't even care.

Yay, finally got my 40 mastery badge!

Also, I'm absolutely loving the new daily login rewards. I've been racking up Favor like crazy! By playing 2-3 Arena matches a day I get enough Favor to buy a new god every week. Last week it was Zhong Kui. I mastered him pretty quickly and haven't played him since.

Today I reached 5500 Favor again so I bought Nox. I know she is considered to be one of the lowest-tier gods in the game, but she still interested me. I went 6-6-20 in Arena. Her early game seems really weak, but I found myself doing quite well mid-game. I built Gem of Iso and spammed my 3 — a 25% 2-second slow on a spell that has a 3-second cooldown is great. Her silence is also really good, though I wish they would increase the radius a little. Her ult is... ok. It only really works during crazy teamfights where the enemy isn't paying attention and doesn't notice you used it on them. Overall I enjoyed playing her and I don't regret my purchase. With her Gem of Iso spam and silence, she is a good utility mage.

Mythical mail will ensure that he can never be invisible around you. Tanks (and the solo lane depending) should be getting this against him to counter and any type of CC immunity (beads, magi, aegis) completely shuts down his ult.

He's a frontline mage, so it's really easy for a ADC to just target him down. So his teamfight effectiveness kind of drops as the game goes on since he has to put himself at such risk. The dude can still burst down an objective though.

I wouldn't place him as high-teir, but he can most likely blow up pubs and those people will cry for nerfs.

Brilliant. I had actually stopped buying Mystical Mail on Herc/Vamana because I find Witchblade to be a better first item, but that's a great counter. I did it today as Herc and the enemy Ao only used his invis to escape, which neutered a lot of his threat. After I saw you mention this, I've seen a lot of people building Mystical Mail against Ao. People are too quick to cry OP before learning how to counter. The funniest thing was that someone on my team kept complaining that Nox is OP because he kept getting killed by one.

Indignate

Mystical Mail is almost always my first items on characters like Herc and Cabrakan. While the damage is good throughout the whole game, it's better early because of the smaller HP pools.

It's also a counter towards Loki as well. Though it doesn't reveal him, the numbers will pop off over him so it helps if he's trying to escape with stealth.

alazz

What are some things you wish you knew when you started playing ranked? I've only played 3 qualifying matches, but I don't want to drag my team down due to a casual play style. According to that site that calculates ELO, the first two I was matched with golds then diamonds. I do well in casual and I did ok when we lost and ok when we won in ranked, but I feel like I'm way out of my league.

Mystical Mail is almost always my first items on characters like Herc and Cabrakan. While the damage is good throughout the whole game, it's better early because of the smaller HP pools.

It's also a counter towards Loki as well. Though it doesn't reveal him, the numbers will pop off over him so it helps if he's trying to escape with stealth.

Whoa, that is brilliant. I usually pass on MM in favor of something that seemed as if it had more utility, but I think I might be getting it more often.

Yeah, I really want to buy Ao so I can try him out for myself, but I'm worried it will be a waste of favor because they'll probably nerf him next patch.

Ao Kuang is probably the easiest god to play in the game now. I don't even play conquest but first time as Ao jungle - https://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?match=113901799

I rarely get 20+ kills and that was like my 3rd game with Ao. Their Freya didn't stand a chance vs me. Neither did Merc.

A lot of people fail with him because he dies fast but the damage he does is a lot. There is probably some power creep problem in this game and they even seem to "fix" gods like arachne or nox by just making them have more burst damage. I think that Thor is easier in the jungle though.

A lot of people fail with him because he dies fast but the damage he does is a lot. There is probably some power creep problem in this game and they even seem to "fix" gods like arachne or nox by just making them have more burst damage. I think that Thor is easier in the jungle though.

Everytime that there is an AO on my team in Siege I know we will lose. People just try and mow down all the enemy gods and end up dying.

I've seen a competent AO in maybe 2/10 games on Siege. New god, to be expected, etc, etc..

Indignate

So are people building meditation on Herc like it's new? Just has to appear in the pro scene once to become the "new meta."

The ones that I've seen do it never build the rest of his items correctly though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So are people building meditation on Herc like it's new? Just has to appear in the pro scene once to become the "new meta."

The ones that I've seen do it never build the rest of his items correctly though.
This is how things in MOBA's typically are sadly, you could have the best possible strat but if it's not what people have seen pros doing you get labeled a scrub and bad player even if you are rocking the shit out of the other team.

I've reached 5500 favor again, and this time I've got my eye on Tyr. Do any of you guys regularly play him? I looked on reddit for tips on how to play/build him, but a lot of the posts were either not very helpful or outdated. First of all, I'd like to know if Tyr is even a decent pick. I've seen some Tyrs do very well in Arena and Siege; an enemy Tyr who can consistently land his initiation combo is an absolute terror when I'm playing a squishy god like Nox. However, I enjoy playing Hercules and he also has a great initiation combo, and it seems like his is way easier to land than Tyrs. So what does Tyr bring to the table that Herc doesn't?

Other than Tyr, I have a mild interest in Janus, Geb, and Serqet. I already mastered Janus during his free rotation so I probably shouldn't buy him. He's so good in Siege though...

Indignate

And I finally bought gems.

I usually never pay for cosmetics, but that $35 pack is basically $1 per gem and I couldn't pass it up plus I want that Nu Wa skin.

And I got it on the first try!

Xyber

Gods with stance switching isn't my thing really, but I've been playing some Tyr today (slowly working my way to god rank 1 on all gods) and after about 5 games I feel pretty comfortable with him now. Need some practice with the blink > push, I miss it more than I would like.

Haven't been able to do a game with a full build so far, it's mostly been a stomp fest for either team in the games I've played and they didn't go much longer than 10 min.

But so far I like him, just need to stop accidentally pressing 3 and switch stance when I wanted to use 2. :p

Gods with stance switching isn't my thing really, but I've been playing some Tyr today (slowly working my way to god rank 1 on all gods) and after about 5 games I feel pretty comfortable with him now. Need some practice with the blink > push, I miss it more than I would like.

Haven't been able to do a game with a full build so far, it's mostly been a stomp fest for either team in the games I've played and they didn't go much longer than 10 min.

But so far I like him, just need to stop accidentally pressing 3 and switch stance when I wanted to use 2. :p

I bought Tyr a few days ago and man he's tough to play! He is really fun and mobile, but it's so easy to screw up with him. Compare Tyr to Hercules who can also push enemies out of position, but with minimal danger to himself. Tyr has to get all up in the enemy's face.

My skill build is: Max 1 > 2 > 3 and level ult when available.

My item build is:
Ninja Tabi
Hide of the Urchin
Jotunns Wrath
Void Shield
Shifters Shield
Runeforged Hammer

If I'm going up against a particularly magic-heavy team I'll sub one of the last 3 items for a Runic Shield.

Greetings, folks! I downloaded this game a couple of days ago, and I have recently begun to dig into the game. So far, I'm just sticking to training so I can get a feel on how the gods and general gameplay...plays, for lack of a better term. In spite of just sticking to training, I'm really enjoying myself! It's probably the most fun I've had playing a MOBA type of game. I've played DOTA, liked it, but got really tired of it after playing for over 200 hours.

With that said, I decided to buy the "Ultimate God Pack" or whatever it's called so that I can play all the gods. While I was able to purchase the pack, it seems that I can't play as a select number of gods. The game just isn't letting me "lock them in", so to speak. Thing is, I can play these gods just fine in "Jungle Practice", but I can't play them at all in any other mode. The gods I can't play include Ao Kuang, Chaac, Cabrakan, Nemesis and Serqet, and there may be more! It's a shame, because I really want to practice playing Chaac and Nemesis, I really dig their designs.

So, I sent Hi Rez a customer service message yesterday night regarding this and hopefully it'll be resolved soon. I'm chomping at the bit to play these "unplayable" gods.

All in all, aside from this minor bump in the road, I am really enjoying myself. After some more training I'd be interested in getting together with some of you folks for play...when I have the time, anyway. Work keeps me busy. My skill at MOBA type games is pretty meager, but I do enjoy this game more than any other MOBA I've tried.

Everyone can try every god in Jungle Practice.

Are you really sure you bought the god pack? Maybe the transaction failed just at the end.

I did not know that detail regarding Jungle Practice. However, yes I assure you I did.

I can't play as 12 of the gods, I made sure to figure out just how much. I can't play as Ao Kuang, Cabrakan, Chaac, Geb, Janus, Kumbhakarna, Nemesis, Nox, Rama, Scylla, Serqet and Ullr.

I can play as the rest just fine, just not those 12 for an unknown reason. Hi Rez customer support still seems to be looking into it. Haven't checked my game since yesterday morning, but it still wasn't fixed at that time.

I did not know that detail regarding Jungle Practice. However, yes I assure you I did.

I can't play as 12 of the gods, I made sure to figure out just how much. I can't play as Ao Kuang, Cabrakan, Chaac, Geb, Janus, Kumbhakarna, Nemesis, Nox, Rama, Scylla, Serqet and Ullr.

I can play as the rest just fine, just not those 12 for an unknown reason. Hi Rez customer support still seems to be looking into it. Haven't checked my game since yesterday morning, but it still wasn't fixed at that time.

So you can play as Osiris and Sylvanus?

Because if not, they are all the 'new' gods since the start of 2014.

http://smite.gamepedia.com/List_of_gods - arrange by release date.

Indignate

Kumba goes full attack speed in a siege game, I tell him he shouldn't do that.

I tell the Hades on our team what items to get since he wants to tank, but he doesn't listen.

In the lobby after we lose, Kumba tells me that I shouldn't tell Hades he's bad (which I didn't) based solely on the fact that he got the most kills.

The troll is real.

Kumba goes full attack speed in a siege game, I tell him he shouldn't do that.

I tell the Hades on our team what items to get since he wants to tank, but he doesn't listen.

In the lobby after we lose, Kumba tells me that I shouldn't tell Hades he's bad (which I didn't) based solely on the fact that he got the most kills.

The troll is real.
Not gonna lie, this is the main reason I stopped playing conquest and siege. I really like the modes, but people are just too bitchy and idiotic to make most games fun. ONE thing goes wrong and people just whine.

I really hate having to mute people every other match, pointlessly surrendering winnable games, or eye-rolling at "please report" tryhards post-game.

You occasionally get those people in Arena too, but most people don't really give much of a fuck because the matches are so short.

I mostly play Assault or arena anymore. It makes me upset when people buy Stone of Gia against an all physical team. Unless there are 2 or 3 MAGES, it is not a good item. Especially if you aren't a tank. Seriously, people just need to pay attention to what is going on and they will do much better.

Indignate

It makes me upset when people buy Stone of Gia against an all physical team.

But they need that HP5/MP5 because there are apparently no other items that do that.

I mean, I don't expect everybody to know what Effective Health is, but I at least would think people would know that regain doesn't matter if you die.

Xyber

GG Hirez, GG.

Finished an Assault, left the lobby and couldn't search for a new game. Restarted the game and now I have deserter status for another 5 minutes because of some reason. 0% goodwill now too.

The servers have gone to shit lately.

Liberty4all

Banned
I went 24 - 5 tonight in a conquest match with dmg Athena, did 70k dmg. She starts out slow but oh man if I get her to end game ...

Xbal was complaining I wasn't playing support properly. Bitch u MY support:)

Xyber

I went 24 - 5 tonight in a conquest match with dmg Athena, did 70k dmg. She starts out slow but oh man if I get her to end game ...

Xbal was complaining I wasn't playing support properly. Bitch u MY support:)

Why does it matter to him if you are playing support "properly" if you were wrecking shit? :p

If it works, it works!

Finally mastered Tyr and Ao Kuang, so I don't have to play them anymore. Ao is too similar to Loki, at least in Arena. He only really shines if the other team isn't paying attention. Tyr is too difficult to justify, especially when I can just play Hercules and feed enemies to my team without having to blink or put myself out of position.

I've been playing more Poseidon and He Bo lately. I found out I had been leveling He Bo's skills in the wrong order, because I was told to max my 3 first (I had been maxing 1) and it is way better. I'm still not sure how to prioritize Poseidon's skills. His whirlpool is great, but leveling his 1 reduces the CD so I've been maxing that first. I've experimented with maxing his 2 second, but I never seem to do all that well when I play Poseidon as an auto-attacker. He has no escape so I often get killed when trying to fight up close. And have to basically be point-blank in order to land his 2's auto-attacks since they spread out pretty fast.

Indignate

Well Nox just became a tad more viable.

9afdaad617.jpg

Oh man, last night was the worst. Played 2 games as Hercules, and both times I got teams that had no idea how to follow up on my initiation. I'd land my 2 + 1 combo and my teammates would either be unable to finish them off or, even worse, they would retreat and leave me for dead once the enemy team engaged. Over and over again until I felt like an idiot for even trying. So I called both teams out for not following up on my combo, and both teams ended up flaming me for being bad and "diving 1 v 5." -_- There's a big difference between trying to initiate a teamfight and diving 1 v 5. The only reason it turned into a 1 v 5 fight was because my team refused to engage! Arrrrgh.

So then I played some games as He Bo to make myself feel better. You can't go wrong when you have 3 ults.

Well Nox just became a tad more viable.

Yes and no. Definitely a huge improvement on her ult, but to balance it out they nerfed the damage of her 2 and 3.

look at awilix today on dev talk :D
B2MrxaV.jpg

Sweet, first female Mayan god! Looks sexy.
I'm a sucker for Latina women.

I didn't catch the dev talk. Is Awilix an assassin or warrior?

Also, had the best Janus game of my life last night. I decided to go #yolo Doom Orb and after surviving a few ganks from Bastet/Ao Kuang (I just dropped a portal on myself and they fell with me) they backed off and gave me the space to farm 50 stacks. After that they couldn't even get near me without instantly losing 3/4 of their HP. Janus is stronk.

Xyber

I didn't catch the dev talk. Is Awilix an assassin or warrior?

Also, had the best Janus game of my life last night. I decided to go #yolo Doom Orb and after surviving a few ganks from Bastet/Ao Kuang (I just dropped a portal on myself and they fell with me) they backed off and gave me the space to farm 50 stacks. After that they couldn't even get near me without instantly losing 3/4 of their HP. Janus is stronk.

http://www.twitch.tv/smitegame/b/598191296

Assassin. They start showing her 6 minutes in.

Top Bottom