• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

PaNaMa

Banned
Was a pretty pain free experience here. A local "mom and pop" type shop started a customer mailing list when Nintendo Switch came out, and added customers to their distro (if said customer expressed interest.) You get things like a heads up on when new products are in stock, and random specials like $3 off preorders and things like that.

Anyways, they sent out an email today saying they were taking pre-orders for SNES classic. I went over lunch time, put down my $20 (same as I did there with Switch) and they guaranteed me one on Sept 29. ** Edit -- Hardest part will be keeping it a surprise for my wife for Christmas hehe

mjc

I only snagged 1 and I feel like I pulled off a miracle.

I made it to a local gamestop about 5 minutes after they announced in-store preorders went up, and I'm with you. Feels like a miracle that I got one.

The sad part is that we shouldn't be feeling this way. At all. I'd love an insider tell all one day that explains this period of Nintendo's supply chain efforts. I bet it's bizarre as hell.

Afrocious

Was a pretty pain free experience here. A local "mom and pop" type shop started a customer mailing list Nintendo Switch came out, and added any customers to it who expressed interest. You get things like a heads up on when new products are in stock, and random specials like $3 off preorders and things like that.

Anyways, they sent out an email today saying they were taking pre-orders for SNES classic. I went over lunch time, put down my $20 (same as I did there with Switch) and they guaranteed me one on Sept 29.

I hear so much about mom and pop shops and I've never seen one before.

Dinokill

I bought 2. One from GameStop and one from Amazon UK. The UK goes directly to eBay to pay for my GameStop one and the rest in profit. Since Nintendo hates profits, I will gladly take them.

I only snagged 1 and I feel like I pulled off a miracle.

Likewise. I don't know what I expected, but I didn't realize it was going to be such a shit show. I honestly wasn't even waiting for an announcement or anything, but was just browsing GAF when the thread about the Wario64 tweet went up about the Best Buy preorders. I just popped in and bought one then went to bed. I woke up the next morning reading all over that the whole night had been a clusterfuck.

mjc

I bought 2. One from GameStop and one from Amazon UK. The UK goes directly to eBay to pay for my GameStop one and the rest in profit. Since Nintendo hates profits, I will gladly take them.

giphy.gif

Afrocious

Me too it's like they only exist in New York/East Coast or something...I've seen retro mom-and-pop shops on the West Coast but nothing catering to new consoles.

I live in the east coat and haven't seen any. The only brick and mortar places I know where you can buy games are your standard electronics stores or GameStops.

MrMephistoX

I live in the east coat and haven't seen any. The only brick and mortar places I know where you can buy games are your standard electronics stores or GameStops.

My only reference point is shops in NYC China Town that break street dates frequently; have never personally seen one either. I seem to remember a Giant Bomb episode where Brad somehow got a copy of Moder Warfare 2 early in such a place///

Ovid

People need to relax about their Amazon UK preorders.
I never had ANY doubt that mine will be delivered (internationally). I've ordered stuff from Amazon US, UK, Japan, Germany, France, and Spain, all delivered internationally and never had an order cancelled on me. You guys are just not familiar with how AmazonGlobal works... it just works, ok? Chill now :p
As a US resident I've also ordered from AUK w/o issues, however, AUK decided to add a disclaimer to the SNES Classic for US residents.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'd rather people not keep on contacting Amazon UK. There is a much higher likelihood of fucking up all the orders if the wrong person is made aware. Happens all the time at SlickDeals.

It actually makes no sense whatsover to contact Amazon and ask them. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, it doesn't. What good does having the chat person reassure you? As you say, all it does is alert them.

I don't have anything preordered at Amazon UK but, if I did, I'd be annoyed that folks are prodding the sleeping beast with all these questions :)

Ovid

It actually makes no sense whatsover to contact Amazon and ask them. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, it doesn't. What good does having the chat person reassure you? As you say, all it does is alert them.

I don't have anything preordered at Amazon UK but, if I did, I'd be annoyed that folks are prodding the sleeping beast with all these questions :)
Lol.

Afrocious

Lol basically. Though while I do like the idea of chatting with them to get expedited shipping, I'm not going to prod.

I manage to preorder 3 the week after the announcement. I'll make two happy people for Christmas (my brother and my wife's brother since they're not into gaming enough to bother looking for availability).
I'm sure they'll want one since I offered my wife's brother the NES Classic Mini last year and he was really happy even if he didn't opened it yet... he wanted to wait after he had moved
this took longer and he's only moved to his place last week (-_-)°

And yes I agree, reselling to pay your own purchase is scalping. Make someone happy around you and offer it or resell it for retail price ^^

Afrocious

Obligatory 'Don't hate the player, hate the game' post - though I do hate folks who bought a metric ton. I think that's too greedy, regardless of what one does with them.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
When I added 5 to amazon's cart and checked out without a hitch, I literally said "really, wut?" aloud. My friends all cheered me the next morning out of excitement, assuming I will get to keep them and that they each get their systems. I do not really trust Amazon in this regard though.
Crazy that they had no purchase cap. That's wild.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Obligatory 'Don't hate the player, hate the game' post - though I do hate folks who bought a metric ton. I think that's too greedy, regardless of what one does with them.

Player chooses to play the game in this case.

So yeah you and the game both kinda scummy.

maxcriden

As a US resident I've also ordered from AUK w/o issues, however, AUK decided to add a disclaimer to the SNES Classic for US residents.

FWIW, apparently this disclaimer was nothing new and has been on other items before (like amiibo), and the items still arrived in those cases to US residents. Fingers crossed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I really like the EU SNES controller. Is there any way to get that color without buying the EU console?
I don't think they've mentioned anything about controllers being sold separately yet, considering you'll get 2 with the system. Maybe some people will sell them on eBay, wanting to try & get the US colors in exchange?

Afrocious

Player chooses to play the game in this case.

So yeah you and the game both kinda scummy.

I get that. I'm not proud at wanting to get money from this, but I don't necessarily see it as a grave sin or anything - especially considering how much of this is luck.

Zen Aku

I don't think they've mentioned anything about controllers being sold separately yet, considering you'll get 2 with the system. Maybe some people will sell them on eBay, wanting to try & get the US colors in exchange?

It was a club nintendo reward for Europe a few years ago (as a Virtual Console controller). Maybe get a loose one off ebay.
I might have to order the 8bitdo version.

If anyone have a spare EU SNES they want to trade for my US one. Let's me know. We can discuss. :)

Josh5890

I just realized I should've pre-ordered a second system to trade for a Famicom mini. I'm still mad about not pre-ordering it last year.

At least I got my one SNES and I don't have to worry about the 29th.

liquidtmd

Banned
What's the general feeling about stock in the UK - many people here who want one but didn't get one?

I've got two on order for me, one from Smyth's and one from Nintendo, was only precautionary but now tempted to cancel the Smyth's one.

Im not interested in scalping. If anyone is desparate who wants one (preferably based near Chester / Manchester UK) for cost price, I'd consider PMs.

ZeroCDR

I'll say. It was up for under a minute!

I saw Wario's text while refreshing the Walmart app, didn't see it on the app, refreshed my open browser window and was able to add it, rushed through checkout all in like 15 seconds.

It was gone when I checked the order page right after the confirm.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I get that. I'm not proud at wanting to get money from this, but I don't necessarily see it as a grave sin or anything - especially considering how much of this is luck.

And you're part of the reason it's so hard for a lot of people in this thread to get one just for themselves, let alone multiple.

Glad you acknowledge the problem at least.

I don't like scalping, but I understand why people do it.

What I don't understand is people bragging about it. Are you proud you're an asshole?

It is a really shitty thing to do and it is kind of annoying when people brag about it in a thread about how people are trying to get the thing they are scalping.

Wellll nobody will listen to them in real life so they post here.

I'm just glad I got one from Best Buy. Amazon how dare you screw over us east coasters like that.

SpecX

I never really followed the NES Classic, but are there good quality wireless controller options planned for this thing?

I never really followed the NES Classic, but are there good quality wireless controller options planned for this thing?

They have the 8bitDo controllers but from what I've heard with the NES Classic, you can run into disconnect issues.

Better off getting extension cables.

I didn't get a SNES classic preordered. Hey, it is what it is. I'm not stressing myself for it.

On the other hand

When the Gamecube classic launches....

I NEED THAT! Especially if it has Gale of Darkness or Baiten Kaitos or many many other games that was released on it. I will stay up days for a pre order and beg for help on Gaf for preorder help. Gamecube is probably my favorite Nintendo home console.

I grew up on NES and SNES and love those systems to no ends but I could get those games in VC except Star fox 2.

Zen Aku

You and I can definitely talk if you want.
Sweet! Are you from US I'm assuming?

I grew up in Asia, but my father was in a business trip in Europe once and brought an EU SNES home. So that's the one I grew up with.

Edit: man I'll be all over that Game be Mini. It would be funny to see how small it might be.

Kaibutsu

I'm just glad I got one from Best Buy. Amazon how dare you screw over us east coasters like that.

To be fair both Best Buy and Amazon screwed east coasters. Best Buy putting theirs up at 1:30 AM eastern time is not much better than Amazon putting theirs up at 3 :)

Top Bottom