• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

HaL64

I once had a loose cart connection to the SNES erase my Super Metroid save. Years later that same battery still works. I just make sure it has a solid connection. So it could be the adapter...

edit: ^ Dat Super Metroid save tragedy ;_;

Yup same thing happened to me. Several times before I just bought a new super metroid cart and used a different SNES just to be sure.

It's times like that where a password system is preferable to a save system.

Krammy

iVv5NUf.png

Big thanks to Lambtron for these! They're going to get lots of play once I get these plastic pieces out of the Super Nintendo.

likewise, Stimpy's Invention for Genesis. Fire Dogs however was not good, never played Veediots but im still curious.

Ren & Stimpy: Veediots is not good. If this means anything to anyone, THQ hired the team that made the notorious Wayne's World for SNES/Genesis (Gray Matter) to do it. From what I've heard, it sounds like when THQ decided to do a SNES Ren & Stimpy game, they originally had Absolute/Imagineering do Buckeroos for it (their NES version of it did get a wide release, and they also did Space Cadet Adventures for GB, which is also terrible), THQ ostensibly weren't happy with the SNES version of Buckeroos, shelved it, and got Gray Matter to rush Veediots out the door instead (the SNES version of Buckeroos years later got a rental-only release).

Like Wayne's World, the characters look *enough* like the real thing, there are voice samples all over the place, the audiovisual and level design of the rest of the game are mostly arbitrary, and the whole thing is needlessly difficult. It was pretty much one of the first major disappointments with a licensed game I'd ever experienced. (The Game Boy version is even worse!)

IrishNinja

damn, that actually sounds worse than Fire Dogs, somehow. Stimpy's Invention stays my favorite (last level or so where you're escaping a beaker by riding exploding bubbles aside...ugh), but that still leaves Quest for the Shaven Yak (game gear) on my list!

damn, that actually sounds worse than Fire Dogs, somehow. Stimpy's Invention stays my favorite (last level or so where you're escaping a beaker by riding exploding bubbles aside...ugh), but that still leaves Quest for the Shaven Yak (game gear) on my list!

I'd argue that Veediots is indeed worse than Fire Dogs, because Fire Dogs at least wears its badness on its sleeve -- you play it for five minutes and you know exactly what you're in for, and in fact, as unfair as it is, eventually you can even get to be kind of sort of good at it once you wrap your head around the unintuitive things that it wants from you. It also gets the stock music background music part of Ren & Stimpy's character right. One interesting and often overlooked tidbit about Fire Dogs is that it was developed by Argonaut. STAR FOX. THAT Argonaut. In between making Star Fox 1 and the unreleased SNES sequel for Nintendo, they saw fit to make Fire Dogs.

Stimpy's Invention is pretty awesome, certainly the best of the R&S games. Doug TenNapel did a lot of the character sprite art on it shortly before he created Earthworm Jim, and it's all pretty appropriately bizarre. Using Ren as a boomerang feels correct.

Quest for the Shaven Yak isn't awful, but it isn't great, either. It's still probably better than the tripe that THQ unleashed on the SNES. I'm always a little disappointed when I play a game like Quest for the Shaven Yak that was developed by Realtime Associates that I'm not that into, because they're a bunch of plucky ex-Intellivision programmers who make good music, and they made my beloved NES port of Maniac Mansion.

Ok, it's time for me to get into this Universal Game Cases thing. I recently moved and I have enough space to justify it now instead of a cart shelf.

What's the best reputable place to get a bunch for a good price that ships to Canada?

Grief.exe

ebay has been the where a lot of us have gotten them. There are a few sellers that offer a decent price + shipping.

Not sure about Canada though.

Peagles

Are any of the following SFC games worth getting? Any hidden gems? I know nothing about them.

Front Mission
Megalomania
Actraiser
Populous
Shanghai 3
Super Dante
Fatal Fury Special
Sim City
Space Invaders
Yuu Yuu Hakusho
Yuu Yuu Hakusho 2
Yuu Yuu Hakusho Tokubetsu
Battle Robot Retsuden
Top Management 2
Daikokai Jidal 2

Keep in mind I don't have great Japanese so I can't really enjoy an RPG, but I can navigate through menus and stuff.

ebay has been the where a lot of us have gotten them. There are a few sellers that offer a decent price + shipping.

Not sure about Canada though.

There seems to be various resellers that look like they are selling different cases from one another, do you use any one in particular?

D-e-f-

Banned
Are any of the following SFC games worth getting? Any hidden gems? I know nothing about them.

Actraiser
Populous
Sim City

Keep in mind I don't have great Japanese so I can't really enjoy an RPG, but I can navigate through menus and stuff.

why don't you just get the English versions of those!?!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My girlfriend just came back from Japan with Final Fantasy V and VI for me, complete in box, for $5 each. Just insane.

Peagles

why don't you just get the English versions of those!?!

I could, but in New Zealand Japanese games sell for a pittance and I'm trying to grow my collection. It'd probably cost 10x as much to get the English version. I also use a Super Famicom and seldom use my PAL console. They're just a list of games I have a chance to grab for a few bucks each, but I don't know enough about them to decide whether they're worth getting or not, hehe.

Beckx

Bleh.

Took my SNES apart last night to remove the tabs on the cart slot. One of the screws holding the case together was partially stripped, and I had to fight with it a bit.

Apparently the power switch had been through hell and back before I got this system, because when I opened it up the case, the switch just disintegrated. Luckily new power switches are an easy fix.

linkboy

My girlfriend just came back from Japan with Final Fantasy V and VI for me, complete in box, for $5 each. Just insane.

Yea, that's one thing I regret not doing when I was in Japan, I wish I had taken advantage of being over there and gotten a lot more games.

Only left with a Super Famicom and a Famicom AV.

Celine

Front Mission
Megalomania
Actraiser
Populous
Shanghai 3
Super Dante
Fatal Fury Special
Sim City
Space Invaders
Yuu Yuu Hakusho
Yuu Yuu Hakusho 2
Yuu Yuu Hakusho Tokubetsu
Battle Robot Retsuden
Top Management 2
Daikokai Jidal 2

Bolded ones.

FM is a Squaresoft strategy game with RPG elements.
Looks very pretty and has great music.
Commands and items should be in english but dialogues are all in japanese.
There exists an enhanced port for DS with english script (it was released in North America).

Act Raiser is a curios mix between a (light) god simulator and a (light) sidescrolling action RPG by famed developer Quintet.
It's good and one of those iconic games for SNES but the english release would be a better choice since sometime you need to understand what the little people have to say to you.
But if you don't mind playing the god simulation parts with a guide (they are overall easy to understand once you get a few information) the go for it.
The game is also available on Wii VC.

Peagles

Bolded ones.

FM is a Squaresoft strategy game with RPG elements.
Looks very pretty and has great music.
Commands and items should be in english but dialogues are all in japanese.
There exists an enhanced port for DS with english script (it was released in North America).

Act Raiser is a curios mix between a (light) god simulator and a (light) sidescrolling action RPG by famed developer Quintet.
It's good and one of those iconic games for SNES but the english release would be a better choice since sometime you need to understand what the little people have to say to you.
But if you don't mind playing the god simulation parts with a guide (they are overall easy to understand once you get a few information) the go for it.
The game is also available on Wii VC.

Damn, they already got snagged since I posted. Thanks anyway!

Olly88

I have the German version of ActRaiser which has the Action Mode. That lets you play just the sidescrolling levels which is lucky as I can't read German. Haven't though about using a guide with it.

Cody_D165

Banned
Picked up a Super Punch-Out!! cart this weekend at a convention and the only thing that I dislike about the game is the fact that Little Mac is completely different-looking. I wonder why they changed his appearance so drastically?

kaioshade

Picked up a Super Punch-Out!! cart this weekend at a convention and the only thing that I dislike about the game is the fact that Little Mac is completely different-looking. I wonder why they changed his appearance so drastically?

Despite being called little Mac, he is actually a different person.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seems like I will be soon a member of SNESGAF.

I finally have the chance to get a relativ well aged Super Nintendo for around 15€ (with a origninal Nintendo Controller but without cables, but I heard that the SNES is compantible with the Camecube AV-Cable, so I can use this).

Very excited to have now to possiblity to play gems like Super Mario World, Super Castlevania or ALTTP on the original hardware. The Emulation in the Virtual Console always seemed kind of wrong to me and also Nintendo cares dont really about it.

Already got F-Zero and planing to buy Super Mario World an Allstars around the next days.

I hope the seller dont jumps off in the last minute, I excited for 16 Bit awesomness :D

Rich!

Aw shit. I had a good search through my parent's loft, and it's nowhere to be found.

Oh wait, you don't know what I'm talking about? Oh. It's an old SNES unofficial guide book for loads of games. It was awesome. And I have no idea if I'll ever remember what it was.

fuck that kind of feeling

Olly88

Aw shit. I had a good search through my parent's loft, and it's nowhere to be found.

Oh wait, you don't know what I'm talking about? Oh. It's an old SNES unofficial guide book for loads of games. It was awesome. And I have no idea if I'll ever remember what it was.

fuck that kind of feeling

I know that feeling. I have the boxes and manuals for Yoshi's Island and Kirby's Fun Pak somewhere, but I have no idea where. I think they might be in our shed, probably being used as homes for giant spiders.

Rich!

I know that feeling. I have the boxes and manuals for Yoshi's Island and Kirby's Fun Pak somewhere, but I have no idea where. I think they might be in our shed, probably being used as homes for giant spiders.

I have this boxed up in my parent's loft:

DSC01404.JPG

My dad can't actually get to it, but promised to before they move house. I'm purposefully not looking at how much it's worth until it's actually recovered and in my hands.

im scared

Olly88

I have this boxed up in my parent's loft:

DSC01404.JPG

My dad can't actually get to it, but promised to before they move house. I'm purposefully not looking at how much it's worth until it's actually recovered and in my hands.

im scared

Ha, that might be a good idea. I just have the regular box, I'd love to get my hands on the big box version and the guide.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
iVv5NUf.png

Big thanks to Lambtron for these! They're going to get lots of play once I get these plastic pieces out of the Super Nintendo.

oh man i want a wild guns to much. my most desired sfc game right now, but damn is it ever hard to find, even unboxed jp cart.

i just kind of splurged on an av famicom and a bunch of games, but maybe i'll bite the bullet and get it with my next paycheck.

baphomet

Woohoo! Was able to resurrect my SNES with a replacement power switch off ebay.

Now I can finally play this.

I <3 crazy sports games.

I loved playing that game when i was younger. I have a feeling its probably held up really well too.

televator

Would you guys recommend the Supaboy?

OT but I just found your post funny given your user name. It caught me off guard and I laughed too hard.

anyway I find it hard to recommend any clones. It's just not going to be accurate and the ironic thing is that SNES has a PC emulator that is probably more accurate than clones.

Krammy

oh man i want a wild guns to much. my most desired sfc game right now, but damn is it ever hard to find, even unboxed jp cart.

i just kind of splurged on an av famicom and a bunch of games, but maybe i'll bite the bullet and get it with my next paycheck.

I was worried at first because the eBay BIN prices were ridiculous, around $170-$220 (for the SFC version, more for the SNES version), but after looking at recently won auctions, I noticed the prices are closer to $130'ish. Luckily, I found a fellow GAFer (thanks again Lambtron), who had a copy they were willing to sell for that price!

Wild Guns, while short, is definitely one of my favourite Super Nintendo games. It's fun to constantly come back to it and try to beat your previous score. Likewise, it's one of the best co-op games for the system.

cafemomo

anyway I find it hard to recommend any clones. It's just not going to be accurate and the ironic thing is that SNES has a PC emulator that is probably more accurate than clones.

hmmm ok, what do you mean by accurate?
Like there is a chance of a hardware failure?

How much would you guys pay personally for a Complete in box Super Castlevania 4? In negotiations with a guy and want to make sure I'm getting some degree of discount.

The games just don't play as nice as they do on the real hardware. Graphic, sound, and control issues basically. Minor, but noticeable. Also some say that certain Super FX games don't work properly.
IMO it's worth saving up to just buy the real thing.

televator

Accuracy in terms of playing back old games in a manner that is comparable to the original SNES hardware. Sound for example, tends to be horridly butchered by clone systems. Normally the average Joe wouldn't notice or care, but the SNES has particular issues that are hard to ignore in that many game carts (including major games like Mario Kart, Starfox, and Yoshi's Island) had special chips that have a tendency to not work at all on clone machines.

Loot has begun to arrive:

Got tired of hoping to find Mega Man Soccer locally, finally just ebayed it. Never played Final Fight 2, so we'll see what that's about. Loved the first one as a kid. Super Double Dragon is, of course, fucking awesome.

I found my first ever Thrift Store finds today. I picked up Link to the Past and Zombies Ate My Neighbors for around $22 combined today. I didn't need to get LttP, having owned one for years, but I wasn't going to let it sit there. They also had a copy of NHL '97, but even at $8 I felt it was a little too expensive.

cafemomo

The games just don't play as nice as they do on the real hardware. Graphic, sound, and control issues basically. Minor, but noticeable. Also some say that certain Super FX games don't work properly.
IMO it's worth saving up to just buy the real thing.

Accuracy in terms of playing back old games in a manner that is comparable to the original SNES hardware. Sound for example, tends to be horridly butchered by clone systems. Normally the average Joe wouldn't notice or care, but the SNES has particular issues that are hard to ignore in that many game carts (including major games like Mario Kart, Starfox, and Yoshi's Island) had special chips that have a tendency to not work at all on clone machines.

ah ok. Thanks for the input!
I guess the "portable" novelty factor of the supaboy ain't worth it then.

Top Bottom