• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Teknoman

Anyone?

EDIT: Like is 64$ a good price?

That doesnt seem bad to be honest. Especially if its in awesome shape. Hell, its got more entertainment value than alot of current gen games priced the same.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/super-castlevania-iv

Also...I wonder if anyone would ever make an "NES 2" shell for an SNES.

Super_NES_designs.png

televator

In general I think someone should get into the business of creating replacement shell for all consoles.

Maybe make a sleek NES 2.0 shell so I don't have to look at an ugly toaster.

There are a few top-loading NESes with multi AV out like the AV Famicom but they're super scarce. Back when it was new, if you complained to nintendo about the RF image quality you could send it back to them and they'd send you an AV one.

Went hunting today locally. Came away pretty happy:

Never played Ninja Warriors, but everyone seems to like it. Been wanting to find a cheap Batman Returns for forever. One step closer to having all my NES Mega Man games (need 5 and 6 still).

Went hunting today locally. Came away pretty happy:

Never played Ninja Warriors, but everyone seems to like it. Been wanting to find a cheap Batman Returns for forever. One step closer to having all my NES Mega Man games (need 5 and 6 still).

Nice! How much did you land The Ninja Warriors for?

Nice! How much did you land The Ninja Warriors for?

$35 for it, $20 for Mega Man, $5 for Batman. Nothing mind blowing, but not bad at all, either. They had a Contra Force for $70, which didn't seem like that amazing of a price, and a Sunset Riders for $50 which was kind of tempting.

Ninja Warriors was pretty dirty and had a big old sticker on the label, and two more on the sides. Took a little time and patience to get it looking good.

Ninja Warriors Again is my favorite action game on SNES. Nice pickup.

Glad to hear this. I had literally never heard of it before this thread. Excited to check it out.

Peagles

Just noticed something weird...

I picked up LTTP (PAL) from my parents' house, put it into my Super Famicom via an import adapter expecting to get the old 50Hz ugly bordered shit. But to my (pleasant surprise), it's running at full screen and 60Hz. What the heck?

Fake edit: My saves are gone and I can't make a new file. Weird. Every letter I try to type as my name comes up as a little "w" and I can't seem to start a new game. Is my game haunted? T_T

Real edit: Copy protection perhaps?

Disc Replay in Champaign Illinois opened today. It was insanely packed. I got there like 25 minutes early and there was already a line forming. Must have been over 100 people there by the time the doors opened at 9.

Got some stuff, nothing amazing, but I was happy.

Already had Metroid and Mario RPG, but these were both in better condition so I'll probably just ebay my old copies.

I imagine the place is going to be fucking barren by tonight. I don't think they even expected it to be as packed as it was.

cafemomo

Disc Replay in Champaign Illinois opened today. It was insanely packed. I got there like 25 minutes early and there was already a line forming. Must have been over 100 people there by the time the doors opened at 9.

the disc replay up in hoffman estates has a weak collection of SNES games.

you are so lucky to get that Super Mario RPG......

and dem FF Adventures GB carts mang

so jelly

Rich!

Just noticed something weird...

I picked up LTTP (PAL) from my parents' house, put it into my Super Famicom via an import adapter expecting to get the old 50Hz ugly bordered shit. But to my (pleasant surprise), it's running at full screen and 60Hz. What the heck?

Fake edit: My saves are gone and I can't make a new file. Weird. Every letter I try to type as my name comes up as a little "w" and I can't seem to start a new game. Is my game haunted? T_T

Real edit: Copy protection perhaps?

If you put a PAL game into a Super Famicom, it will run at 60hz regardless. The problem however is that some PAL games do not play well with 60hz - for example, effects in Super Mario World are fucked. Zelda is one game that's particularly fucked as per my previous experience with it. Sorry - in your case the best bet is to just buy a NTSC American copy to get the english text and 60hz goodness without glitches.

Also, a huge amount of games do indeed have region protection - try playing a PAL game like Dr Mario and Tetris on your Super Famicom and it will refuse to boot, instead displaying a "This game is not designed for your Super Famicom/Super Nintendo system" message. What you need is a 50/60hz switch installed - that way you can trick it by booting in 50hz then switching to 60hz once it's loaded.

Bear in mind though, if you have any PAL games with an SA1 chip (Kirby's Fun Pak is the only one of note), it has a regional lockout. It will not work on a Super Famicom at all. Only way to get round it is to install SuperCIC, a custom BIOS for your SNES: http://consolingmyself.co.uk/post/1251747918/supercic

In fact, if you're going multi region, installing a SuperCIC chip is by far the best way to go:

- allows the region to be set+saved by holding the reset button.
- region can be set to 50Hz, 60Hz, or autodetect based on key CIC.
- selected region is indicated by LED color (uses a dual LED).
- has a ~9s timeout before switching from detected to forced region to trick most games. This feature can be enabled/disabled using a configuration pin on the lock.

Megaman X 3 is nothing amazing?

Haha, it was the big score of the day for sure. I don't like it as much as the first two, though. Granted, I haven't played it since it originally came out so maybe I'll like it more now.

They had Mega Man 7 also, but someone had already grabbed it by the time I got to the SNES section. I mainly went in for the Gameboy games. They had Mega Man 3 for GB also, but someone else had grabbed it as well.

the disc replay up in hoffman estates has a weak collection of SNES games.

you are so lucky to get that Super Mario RPG......

Each disc replay can be really hit or miss. Some are always awesome, some are always shit, some fluctuate. They actually had 2 Mega Man X3's, 3 Mario RPGS, Mega Man 7, Final Fantasy 3, two or three Super Metroids. The next couple months will be the true test to see if they'll keep having an awesome selection.

Like I said, they were crazy packed with it being opening day. Those shelves are going to be fucking empty tomorrow so they'd better hope they can get some new stock in easily. There is a smaller store that opened around here a year ago that has a ton of stuff, but sells at or above ebay prices. I'm hoping to see them crash and burn now that Disc Replay is here to save the day.

Fox Mulder

There is a smaller store that opened around here a year ago that has a ton of stuff, but sells at or above ebay prices. I'm hoping to see them crash and burn now that Disc Replay is here to save the day.

I have a small place around me like that. They have some amazing stuff, but stupidly overpriced. If I have to pay ebay prices, or even above it, then fuck your store as I go to ebay.

televator

nintendo is way ahead of you :)

Yeah but those are A) Hard to find B) More expensive C) Most only have shitty RF and D) Have shitty noticeable jail bars on their video. So while they are aesthetically more pleasing than the toaster, they are worse or impractical in other ways.

The only top loader approach I find suitable would be an AV Famicom + conversion cart or a super rare (seemingly mythical) multi AV out NES.

Are they usually pretty good on prices?

Yes. Always well below ebay prices. I got my great looking Mega Man X for $7, Secret of Mana for $25, Earthbound for $125 (back when they were going for north of $200), Soul Blazer for $8 (I think, little fuzzy on that one it was so long ago). Each location sets their own prices, though. I've heard the ones around Chicago fucking suck. The ones down here are good, and the one I go to in Indiana used to be fucking insane, though they've recently raised their prices so they aren't as crazy.

They also always have a buy five get the sixth free with no limits. So if you have the big money to spend, you can get some good deals with that.

HaL64

Already had Metroid and Mario RPG, but these were both in better condition so I'll probably just ebay my old copies.

I imagine the place is going to be fucking barren by tonight. I don't think they even expected it to be as packed as it was.

I ended up going there today too. About an hour after opening though. Below ebay prices for the most part. About 10-20% below, but sometimes 50%. Yeah Mega Man X being $7 was a steal. And they had several of them. I think Link to the Past was $20. Maro RPG was $36 or so. They had metroid for $30, which I never seen in the wild around here. Let alone for $30.
They had a lot of good stuff, but I had most of it already. I still ended up buying $80 worth of games and blu-rays.
Apparently they ship in some of their stock, so they aren't always depending on local stuff.
Yeah Live Action games is gonna go out of business, I'm afraid, if they don't change their prices. The owner always claims he is going off of a computer list supplied to him and can't change his prices from that. And yet sometimes I've seen him raise prices on more popular games. I do hope they survive though. It's a nice shop for around here.

I actually went in there again tonight just to see what was left. Still had a good amount of stuff. I noticed Perfect Dark for $3, but there was only one employee actually helping costumers and they were still pretty busy an hour before close, so I didn't feel like waiting around.

That's weird that the Live Action Games guy claims to get his prices set. I don't know how the owner is told what to price his shit at. They certainly have selection on their side, but I've never bought a single thing from them because of their bad prices. Not as bad as Exile on Main, that place needs wiped the fuck out for their prices. I've literally seen shit in there for four times ebay prices.

HaL64

I actually went in there again tonight just to see what was left. Still had a good amount of stuff. I noticed Perfect Dark for $3, but there was only one employee actually helping costumers and they were still pretty busy an hour before close, so I didn't feel like waiting around.

That's weird that the Live Action Games guy claims to get his prices set. I don't know how the owner is told what to price his shit at. They certainly have selection on their side, but I've never bought a single thing from them because of their bad prices. Not as bad as Exile on Main, that place needs wiped the fuck out for their prices. I've literally seen shit in there for four times ebay prices.

The problem is people pay those prices. They don't know any better or don't care. Just like the people who sell them stuff for 1% of the ebay price. They don't know any better, and that keeps places like that in business.

Teknoman

Ugh wish there was one in Texas instead of just stuff like Game Over.

Its a cool shop, but they never seem to have anything all that great in stock. Unless i'm just missing them...

linkboy

Ugh wish there was one in Texas instead of just stuff like Game Over.

Its a cool shop, but they never seem to have anything all that great in stock. Unless i'm just missing them...

I had a Play N Trade and I became good friends with the owner (helped that I spent a lot of money there). Her prices were pretty reasonable.

It's been over a year since the store closed up (she went through a pretty bad divorce and couldn't handle the store by herself.

Miss that place, I pretty much built my retro collection up because of that store, including my copy of Suikoden II.

Now we've got a local owned store who prices everything based off of Ebay and it sucks.

Teknoman

Have you ever been to a Game Crazy? When they were still around (part of Hollywood Video) they had classic plastic (buy 2 get 1 on anything cartridges I think) and reasonable prices on everything else.

I miss those stores...and wish I had sense enough back then to travel around to more / not wait till next weekend "because it might drop in price".

Krammy

Nothing spectacular, but I felt it was worth saying again. I was doing the usual routine of going through the Square Soft catalogue for the Super Nintendo, and it continually blows my mind that they were able to release so many quality titles in such a short amount of time.

Final Fantasy VI (1994)
Live-A-Live (1994)
Romancing SaGa 3 (1995)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (1995)
Bahamut Lagoon (1996)
Chrono Trigger (1996)
[Satellaview] Dynami Tracer! (1996)
Front Mission: Gun Hazard (1996)
Super Mario RPG (1996)

It breaks my heart to see what they've turned into today, but here's to their former glory that lives on in a bunch of cartridges!

Fox Mulder

Unfortunately, the later-revision NES consoles only support RF out for some reason. :E

the original wii mini.

The problem is people pay those prices. They don't know any better or don't care. Just like the people who sell them stuff for 1% of the ebay price. They don't know any better, and that keeps places like that in business.

yep, been in a place that overpriced everything casuals would recognize, like mario or zelda. There were deals on some hidden gem or less popular stuff, but people do pay stupid prices on common as dirt stuff like mario 3 or SMW.

Ramune

it's a habit. the later GCN models also dropped the component out.

Wow, in retrospect, its like they add features to their handheld revisions, while the console revs are gimped after a while. Later N64s are much harder to RGB mod.

Would Wii U finally break this long standing tradition by virtue of using HDMI?

OT: Some of those finds! You guys have some good eyes! I regret not checking out any of the many tag sales that were going on this summer. I should take a day and visit some of the pawn shops and this Goodwill down the street and see what they got. End the day with some pizza and hopefully enjoy any cache I collect! Mmmmmm....pizza....

Teknoman

Wow, in retrospect, its like they add features to their handheld revisions, while the console revs are gimped after a while. Later N64s are much harder to RGB mod.

OT: Some of those finds! You guys have some good eyes! I regret not checking out any of the many tag sales that were going on this summer. I should take a day and visit some of the pawn shops and this Goodwill down the street and see what they got. End the day with some pizza and hopefully enjoy any cache I collect! Mmmmmm....pizza....

Do it, always a chance you'd come out with nothing...but there is also a chance you could come away with an awesome game that just arrived / has been languishing under guitar heroes for years.

Fox Mulder

there's highs and lows. I've gone months without finding a damn thing at goodwill, then can find a jackpot of something like genesis games for $1. I keep finding random dreamcast games which is nice.

Ramune

Do it, always a chance you'd come out with nothing...but there is also a chance you could come away with an awesome game that just arrived / has been languishing under guitar heroes for years.

You know, following my intuition helped me bag a variety of Sega accessories at GameStop years ago. Especially those years I didn't have a car. Like wondering the off chance they had a Genesis Game Genie or Dreamast VGA adaptor and finding them right there and then. Ok! Doing it on my next paycheck! (Not blowing all my money or course! Ha ha!)

D-e-f-

Banned

That always happens with consoles though. Just look at the PS3 for example. All the cool stuff it had in there in the beginning got stripped down to the bare necessities (PS2 comp, a bunch of USB ports, card readers). I'm not aware of any that have gotten anything added. Well I guess aside from the 360 which finally went wireless with the 360S revision.

Ramune

That always happens with consoles though. Just look at the PS3 for example. All the cool stuff it had in there in the beginning got stripped down to the bare necessities (PS2 comp, a bunch of USB ports, card readers). I'm not aware of any that have gotten anything added. Well I guess aside from the 360 which finally went wireless with the 360S revision.

Not to mention the 360 gaining an HDMI port after its initial release. But yeah, more loss than gain overall.

it's a habit. the later GCN models also dropped the component out.

The SNES mini dropped RGB and S-Video as well.

Speaking of the new 360, it dropped optical audio, component video, and VGA video. Only video options are HDMI and composite. If you want digital audio you have to use HDMI since they dropped optical.

Not exclusively an SNES collecting question, but has anyone had any luck at recycling centers? I just stopped by my local one and they had a giant bin full of VHS, 8-track tapes that I can't help but think someone might have tossed their kids' nintendo 'tapes' in there as well at some point. Didn't have time today but I might go back and do a little digging at some point.

Not exclusively an SNES collecting question, but has anyone had any luck at recycling centers? I just stopped by my local one and they had a giant bin full of VHS, 8-track tapes that I can't help but think someone might have tossed their kids' nintendo 'tapes' in there as well at some point. Didn't have time today but I might go back and do a little digging at some point.

Never gone to one of these places, but I'm sure the number of old games that have simply been tossed into the garbage would make us all weep.

Well, I did check out the recycling center and came up empty, but I did hit the goodwill on the way back and finally hit pay dirt. Two complete in box SNES games, Street Fighter 2 and Mario All-Stars. I was shocked when I saw them lying in the DVD bin for $3 a piece. Even more shocked when I found they were all pretty much complete. The boxes are a little beat but good shape overall. Good day.

pShif8dl.jpg

Teknoman

Well, I did check out the recycling center and came up empty, but I did hit the goodwill on the way back and finally hit pay dirt. Two complete in box SNES games, Street Fighter 2 and Mario All-Stars. I was shocked when I saw them lying in the DVD bin for $3 a piece. Even more shocked when I found they were all pretty much complete. The boxes are a little beat but good shape overall. Good day.

pShif8dl.jpg

a_winner_is_you.png

IrishNinja

damn those boxes/condition in general are sexy...didnt even know goodwill would still put stuff like that up, i assumed all the retro stuff went right to their auction site? nice pulls man!

I have an incredibly nooby question: For my SNES on my HD TV (Yes I know a cardinal sin Im in colege and dont have room for a massive or even relatively small CRT alongside an Flatscreen)

What is the better for my retro systems (I DO NOT HAVE SCART on my tv unfortunately; Also there is no way im buying an RGB Converter like frameister anytime soon lol)

-S-Video (will this give me 480p?)
-or Component
(I'm Confused is component the same as S-video?)

I'm embarrassed I've been playing my SNES/GC with crappy Composite this entire time.

Also do you guys have a specific trusted brand/s-video cables (affordable please!) you can link me too? There are alot of third party s-video cables and I constantly hear horror stories about terrible Chinese cords.

Top Bottom