• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

IrishNinja

Peagles

So. I played Super Metroid for like 7 hours. Then I turned it on tonight, and my save was gone... I'm drinking away my sorrows right now...

This was back in March... I just finished it after starting again on my Super Famicom... 6:44 with 76%. Feels good :) It's definitely in my favourite games of all time!

just noticed that my new tv doesn't work with my snes.

also my snes doesn't work no more (ppu problems i think, probably rust).

do you guys know which snes clone is the best one? it would be awesome to.have hdmi and be able to play it without hauling my ctr out of storage

Thought I'd chip in with my modest collection. Still a bunch of titles I'd love to add, but I'm not forking out triple digits for the likes of Earthbound, no matter what. Most of these titles were acquired through private sellers 'getting rid of old stuff' and thrift stores. I added my two NES games Legend of Zelda and Dr.Mario( SEALED and paid $5 for at a thrift store) since these are the only two I have, and hell I don't even own a NES. I just figured they were damn cool to have. :)

The hunt goes on for more gems out in the wild......

Fox Mulder

This was back in March... I just finished it after starting again on my Super Famicom... 6:44 with 76%. Feels good :) It's definitely in my favourite games of all time!

I know the feeling of losing a save. Makes me want to go ahead and replace all the batteries but I never get around to it.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Ugh. This thread brings me sadness as much as it brings joy. The pricing of SNES games is getting dumb. There are enough copies of most of these games to go around for the small handful of people who want them. The pricing is being driven up by skittish collectors who perceieve scarcity, when there is none.

I guess the value of something is based upon how much people are willing to pay for them. But supply and demand this ain't.

We shouldn't be paying this much folks. Games that had millions printed, and a few tens of thousands who want them... This situation sucks.

Games were toys for kids. Much like baseball cards and comic books 50 years ago, SNES games were not handled with an eye towards future value. I can only imagine how many used cartridges went to landfills as kids went off to college, game stores needed space for new consoles, internal save batteries died, etc.

While a game like ALttP certainly isn't rare, it also has a much larger audience that wants to have it as part of their collection compared to most games. That's how million+ sellers can still command a decent price (see also: prices of used Zeppelin records compared to used Foghat records).

I wish I had pictures of what was basically being given away for free by game stores back in the early 2000s when I rounded out my SNES library. Games were cheap then because the demand was low; they're more expensive now because the demand is much higher.

Ramune

I wish I had pictures of what was basically being given away for free by game stores back in the early 2000s when I rounded out my SNES library. Games were cheap then because the demand was low; they're more expensive now because the demand is much higher.

Oh yeah, back in the late 90s when I was in High School, I would use my lunch money (eating? Pfft! I'm spending this $20!) and go to my local Blockbuster Video who had games they would always sell off after a while, for cheap. I'm still kicking myself for passing on a CIB? (never asked if the strategy guide was inside) Earthbound, I forgot the price but it was most likely low enough where it was a no brainer, like the others. If I had opened my big mouth back then and not assume it didn't have the guide.....aaaaarrrgh! Now that it's tag sale season (although probably winding down), there's probably games to be had for equally cheap, but you'd have to go out of your way to look for them.

Peagles

I know the feeling of losing a save. Makes me want to go ahead and replace all the batteries but I never get around to it.

Here's the real killer, the battery is fine. It just decided to erase my save for no good reason, probably because I was playing through an old region converter.

Krammy

I want to dive in and get a Super Nintendo/Super Famicom but I've run into a problem. After finding out that you can switch the game boards and the cases, I'd prefer to get a Super Famicom (love the shape of the carts and the controller design) and just switch out all the North American games with their Japanese cases. Where this becomes an issue is that a select few games I'd like to own are stupidly expensive in both North America and Japan (I'm looking at you Wild Guns) and it no longer seems viable to get two copies and switch them around. I've thought of getting a bunch of dummy cases and possibly printing new stickers for them, but I have no experience with that, so it's a pipe dream at the moment.

In short, what would you recommend someone who wants the design of the Super Famicom, but wants a (mostly) North American library?

On a side note, this thread is severely lacking in Biker Mice From Mars. Hands down one of the most fun party racers I've played, and it looks incredible to boot. Thank you based Konami!

Cody_D165

Banned
In short, what would you recommend someone who wants the design of the Super Famicom, but wants a (mostly) North American library?

That's a tough one... I personally just find it easier to deal with the North American SNES for everything, with a simple removal of two plastic tabs (or a Game Genie) you can play any cart you want. Maybe someone else will have a better idea though.

EDIT: You can use a SFC controller on an NA SNES, I believe.

I want to dive in and get a Super Nintendo/Super Famicom but I've run into a problem. After finding out that you can switch the game boards and the cases, I'd prefer to get a Super Famicom (love the shape of the carts and the controller design) and just switch out all the North American games with their Japanese cases. Where this becomes an issue is that a select few games I'd like to own are stupidly expensive in both North America and Japan (I'm looking at you Wild Guns) and it no longer seems viable to get two copies and switch them around. I've thought of getting a bunch of dummy cases and possibly printing new stickers for them, but I have no experience with that, so it's a pipe dream at the moment.

On a side note, this thread is severely lacking in Biker Mice From Mars. Hands down one of the most fun party racers I've played, and it looks incredible to boot. Thank you based Konami!

I would recommend that for Wild Guns you just get the Super Famicom version if you are going to get it at all.

Really, though, it's so much easier to just use a Super Nintendo if you are going to be playing mostly American games. Get both systems, play the SFC to get your fix, use the SFC controllers with the Super NES, get the expensive and exlcusive games for the SFC, get the text heavy games for the SNES or learn Japanese.

My Super NES collection has been dwarfed at least 5 to 1 by my SFC collection since I came to Japan.

went to japan and got a good haul of sfc games. cannot play then. itching to get a retron 5, but not sure if games like starfox will work on it.

on the other hand, i don't wanna.buy an xrgb

sigh

Peagles

Nothing beats the real hardware IMO. The Retron 5 looks cool but at the end of the day isn't it just an emulator?

I'd just get a Super Famicom. Hell I got mine for like $30 NZD in its box and everything. Can't wait to go to Japan and stock up on games!

Krammy

Really, though, it's so much easier to just use a Super Nintendo if you are going to be playing mostly American games. Get both systems, play the SFC to get your fix, use the SFC controllers with the Super NES, get the expensive and exlcusive games for the SFC, get the text heavy games for the SNES or learn Japanese.

The problem with getting two consoles is that I don't really need two (I don't need one even, but money be damned). It's an investment of love, so I don't want to spend more than I have to, and while I'm sure it'd be nice to have the original systems at-the-ready, with the tip below, it seems like I won't have to now.

EDIT: You can use a SFC controller on an NA SNES, I believe.

Wow, thank you so much, this hadn't even crossed my mind! After a quick Google, you can indeed mix and match them (even for longer cables).

Nothing beats the real hardware IMO. The Retron 5 looks cool but at the end of the day isn't it just an emulator?

An emulator that upscales to 720p,allows you to use your original controllers natively without need for adapters, and perhaps most importantly allows you to use your cartridges. It's not the 'authentic' experience as far as using the original hardware, but there probably is a market of people who would prefer this to just playing downloaded ROMS off the internet.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Picked up boxed copies of Rudra's Treasure and Treasure Hunter G. Played through the English fan translations a few years ago but its nice to own the original carts fianlly...

Gerald

I have a MASSIVE Super Famicom collection with a ton of Japanese games complete in box, etc. (Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, etc.) Also have Earthbound.

Would love to sell but no one wants to pay me more than what it would cost to ship the box. :(

I have a MASSIVE Super Famicom collection with a ton of Japanese games complete in box, etc. (Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, etc.) Also have Earthbound.

Would love to sell but no one wants to pay me more than what it would cost to ship the box. :(

Ebay 'em

Picked up boxed copies of Rudra's Treasure and Treasure Hunter G. Played through the English fan translations a few years ago but its nice to own the original carts fianlly...

Didn't Rudra have a crazy syllable-based spell system? How did they move it over in the translation?

IrishNinja

BAN THIS PIRATE FILTH

still wish i could find someone to dump the english ROM of Bahamut Lagoon onto my SFC cart for me, cheapest offer ive had is $30 or so but ehhhh

An emulator that upscales to 720p,allows you to use your original controllers natively without need for adapters, and perhaps most importantly allows you to use your cartridges. It's not the 'authentic' experience as far as using the original hardware, but there probably is a market of people who would prefer this to just playing downloaded ROMS off the internet.

I've caught the retro gaming bug and I constantly waffle between retron5 and of consoles. I think if the r5 has minimal lag and the emulation is 99% ok I might bite. The og consoles sound great but they look terrible on an HDTV.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ebay 'em

Didn't Rudra have a crazy syllable-based spell system? How did they move it over in the translation?

Yup, they actually did some major hacking to try and work the spell system (somewhat) into English, using prefix and suffix type rules. AGTP did a really awesome job with the hacking. The game itself is pretty good.. not one of the best of the 16 bit eras but definitely enjoyable (it suffers from uneven difficulty, high random encounters and a bit of backtracking/boring environments).

Example of the spell list:
http://www.fantasyanime.com/valhalla/rudra_mantra.htm

A bit more info at AGTP's site:
http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=rnh

televator

Nintendo GAF, what sort of value is there in the soundtrack for Donkey Kong games? I came a cross a couple of OSTs for DKC 1&2 but I can't find anything on them on ebay.

I'm trying to figure out if they're worth my time to post up for sale.

Teknoman

Something I snagged awhile ago just arrived today:

Man...Battletoads and Double Dragon has an incredible soundtrack on SNES! Why doesnt Rare make awesome games like this today?! I mean sure, their N64 output was pretty cool, but a Battletoads revival ala God of War with all the heavy metal music and art style trapping would be amazing.

But back to the soundtrack:

Big Blag

Abobo

Roper <-- this more so than anything else. When it kicked in, I had to post.

It just makes you feel like punching gangs of cyber mutants and dominatrices(?) through steel doors. I'm having more fun playing as the Double Dragons than the Toads though. Flying elbow drops just seem more pain inducing.

baphomet

BAN THIS PIRATE FILTH

still wish i could find someone to dump the english ROM of Bahamut Lagoon onto my SFC cart for me, cheapest offer ive had is $30 or so but ehhhh

I never did have ant luck with that either. I know i can do it, but i cant find enough information on the how to of it. If you ever have any luck let me know.

I got my SNES jr from RadarScope1 today. Looks good in place of my og one that went to the girlfriend's sister. I want a cordless controller so i was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 2.4ghz retrobit ones. Im not expecting anything amazing for $20, but i just want to know if they work.

I never did have ant luck with that either. I know i can do it, but i cant find enough information on the how to of it. If you ever have any luck let me know.

I got my SNES jr from RadarScope1 today. Looks good in place of my og one that went to the girlfriend's sister. I want a cordless controller so i was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 2.4ghz retrobit ones. Im not expecting anything amazing for $20, but i just want to know if they work.
You're welcome, fellow GAFer! Glad it went to a good home. I always prefer to sell on GAF rather than eBay.

I'd love to know about wireless SNES controllers, too. I mod of an original controller (even if it adds some bulk) would be best, but I'm not sure that's possible.

Retrobit is crap.

Do you have any PS2 wireless controllers? Surprisingly my Logitech Cordless Action Pro for PS2 works with my tototek controller PS->SNES controller adapter, and it's a decent controller too.

I haven't used it extensively so I can't speak to lag wirelessly, but it works great with my corded HRAP2 arcade stick.

Velinos

Is there a way to know if a box is legit or custom? For example:

http://i.imgur.com/qJBVnSd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bevcPXI.jpg

Is this original?

The vertical seam down the middle of the back in the shrink wrap is indicative of factory sealed NES and SNES games, so at the very least the shrink wrap is legit. So unless someone took the time to carefully slide a shrink wrap from a different game over a custom box, I'd say it is probably real.

Dizzy-4U

The vertical seam down the middle of the back in the shrink wrap is indicative of factory sealed NES and SNES games, so at the very least the shrink wrap is legit. So unless someone took the time to carefully slide a shrink wrap from a different game over a custom box, I'd say it is probably real.
I see. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna get it.

Bar81

Is there any site for UGC inserts for JP games? Outside of a few random ones here and there, I can only find SNES games. I have a bunch of JP games that never got a US release or had the name butchered on the way to America.

SO happy to finally get this game as my first CIB SNES title!

photo2_zps9f1fe7a3.jpg

I am a little curious/worried however: Did I get a reproduction box? I seriously doubt it as the cartridge/manual are definitely authentic and the box/manual shows appropriate age wear and tear, but I ask because (aside from the fact that I got it from ebay at a pretty damn good price) mine has an "Orange only for"

photo1_zpsc90de8f4.jpg

As compared to the common "Green font only for" I seem to find everywhere else online....Am I a victim lol or just paranoid?

Super_Metroid_box.jpg

Happy either way really to finally own Super Metroid!

Ramune

Wow, learn something new. Didn't know about or never paid attention to the orange "Only For" variants before! Mine has the green slime. No manual though. Might have to work on that.

Top Bottom