• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I also post this in the October pick up posts. I found this cart at Value Village for $13 which is a pretty good price. The sticker is a little torn and I had to clean a lot of crap off of it, but it's nice to have it back in my collection. I used to own this game CIB, but sold it years ago :/

tumblr_muhj8dwxyx1rxfzv8o1_400.jpg

IrishNinja

no im with rygars; i had a low bar for simpsons games and i managed to have fun with bart's nightmare, i totally intend to revisit this!

likewise, Stimpy's Invention for Genesis. Fire Dogs however was not good, never played Veediots but im still curious.

Soooo I just did a buy it now for a CIB Ogre Battle for $120.

Cart is immaculate and everything else is in decent shape. Not sure how I feel about this haha.

My thinking was, crappy looking carts go for $70-80 and this cart was perfect and came with the rest for a little bit more.

I hate spending money like this haha.

Cart is immaculate and everything else is in decent shape. Not sure how I feel about this haha.

My thinking was, crappy looking carts go for $70-80 and this cart was perfect and came with the rest for a little bit more.

If it makes you feel better, Ogre Battle had one of the smaller SNES print runs at 25,000 units. So it's actually kinda scarce unlike most of the other big ticket SNES games.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

i paid $90 for a faded cart you did fine

Krammy

So in the short time I was away, I got my hands on a Super Nintendo! I have a few questions for experienced Super Nintendo users.

One of the games I got simply doesn't work. Although the Super Nintendo appears to be in great condition inside and out, I thought it was busted at first. It got power just fine, and appeared to get Audio/Video, as the screen would give off the usual flicker that it does when you start a machine using av cables, but nothing would show up, and no audio would play. I remembered afterwards that cartridge games can be a bit finicky, and thought this might be the case, that the game is broken and not the machine, so I tried the next game and again, nothing. I'm getting a bit worried, trying the reset button, turning the machine off/on (although not too quickly), and ejecting/reinserting the cartridge. After a few tries, the game works as it should. Preemptive Edit: The issue persisted across multiple televisions, both SD and HD, so I'm sure it's down to the console or the carts.

I haven't had any issues with the second game since troubleshooting originally, but the first game still won't work. Does this sound like a cartridge issue? I don't have any other games to test it with, but I'm looking into getting some. I'm hoping to get some reassurance before putting money down on games if it's a console issue.

EDIT: Is there a surefire way to distinguish a legitimate cartridge from a pirate cartridge? If I remember correctly, Game Boy games have a Nintendo stamp on the board, so is there something similar for Super Nintendo games?

So in the short time I was away, I got my hands on a Super Nintendo! I have a few questions for experienced Super Nintendo users.

One of the games I got simply doesn't work. Although the Super Nintendo appears to be in great condition inside and out, I thought it was busted at first. It got power just fine, and appeared to get Audio/Video, as the screen would give off the usual flicker that it does when you start a machine using av cables, but nothing would show up, and no audio would play. I remembered afterwards that cartridge games can be a bit finicky, and thought this might be the case, that the game is broken and not the machine, so I tried the next game and again, nothing. I'm getting a bit worried, trying the reset button, turning the machine off/on (although not too quickly), and ejecting/reinserting the cartridge. After a few tries, the game works as it should. Preemptive Edit: The issue persisted across multiple televisions, both SD and HD, so I'm sure it's down to the console or the carts.

I haven't had any issues with the second game since troubleshooting originally, but the first game still won't work. Does this sound like a cartridge issue? I don't have any other games to test it with, but I'm looking into getting some. I'm hoping to get some reassurance before putting money down on games if it's a console issue.

EDIT: Is there a surefire way to distinguish a legitimate cartridge from a pirate cartridge? If I remember correctly, Game Boy games have a Nintendo stamp on the board, so is there something similar for Super Nintendo games?
Try cleaning the contacts.

A way to determine if he cart is legitimate is to open it and examine the PCB, reproduction carts will have wires soldered on tho them.

Grief.exe

brasso.jpg

Most likely. You could probably have gotten a second controller or a game or three for that price. And if it's yellowed, I definitely wouldn't have sprung at that price, either.

Then again, SNES prices overall are rising, so I don't know for certain.

Hey!

Is $65 USD too much for a used SNES with one controller and no game?

I got an SNES + 2 controllers and a game for 25$ at a swap meet three months ago but there's a lot of luck involved with game pickings like that so at least you own yourself a damn fine system my friend. Damn fine.

tornjaw

I've found several sites that sell replacement NES/SNES/N64 labels but they're fairly pricey considering that it's just a sticker so I was wondering if anyone knew that best site to purchase multiple labels at once that's not a gouging price.

On that, I'm also looking for a replacement label or the REAR of the cartridge. I haven't found one yet.

Lastly, general cleaning advice as far as anything that I shouldn't use on a cart?

Thanks.

Peagles

I've found several sites that sell replacement NES/SNES/N64 labels but they're fairly pricey considering that it's just a sticker so I was wondering if anyone knew that best site to purchase multiple labels at once that's not a gouging price.

On that, I'm also looking for a replacement label or the REAR of the cartridge. I haven't found one yet.

Lastly, general cleaning advice as far as anything that I shouldn't use on a cart?

Thanks.

Don't use nail polish remover. I made that mistake as a young lady and it melted my Starfox cart a bit T_T

Velinos

Lucked out and found Demon's Crest priced at $20 at my local used game store yesterday like it should be. I do not understand why this game has been going for $100+ on ebay lately.

Teknoman

Congrats on the Demon's Crest. Thats a pretty good find.

Anyone skills with making Universe Game Case cover art around? I need cover art for the Super Famicom version of Sparkster.

woodypop

I also post this in the October pick up posts. I found this cart at Value Village for $13 which is a pretty good price. The sticker is a little torn and I had to clean a lot of crap off of it, but it's nice to have it back in my collection. I used to own this game CIB, but sold it years ago :/

Reminds me of my copy

BEB9C274-949D-4F9D-B6B8-B4E95C719BF2-1119-00000105D060A432_zps00f6d110.jpg

Picked it up for $3 about seven years ago. Half Price Books has gotten wiser about their pricing since then. lol

Evenball

I got this one last week:

Value Village has come through a lot for me lately. Every month or two I find a sealed game like this for various systems. Who are these people that buy $50+ games and forget to open them, LOL.

Evenball

Probably. I can see old residue from other stickers that were once on there, but on the side is the original sticker that says $54.99

Fox Mulder

that's not wise, that's plain stupid, lol

sure, but some idiot new to the retro thing will probably walk in a buy it.

I've been in a store that was crazy over priced on everything that a common buyer would recognize from their childhood, like Mario or Zelda, and was told they actually sell at stupid prices.

sure, but some idiot new to the retro thing will probably walk in a buy it.

I've been in a store that was crazy over priced on everything that a common buyer would recognize from their childhood, like Mario or Zelda, and was told they actually sell at stupid prices.

Can't blame them, then. At the end of the day value is what someone is willing to pay.

Olly88

My Secret of Mana save file has disappeared :( I was only playing it last night too. I guess it might be the battery but I can't help but feel it's related to me playing it through an import adapter, even though it hasn't affected it before. I'm sure it probably is the battery, just seems a bit of a coincidence.

Peagles

My Secret of Mana save file has disappeared :( I was only playing it last night too. I guess it might be the battery but I can't help but feel it's related to me playing it through an import adapter, even though it hasn't affected it before. I'm sure it probably is the battery, just seems a bit of a coincidence.

That happened to me with Super Metroid. If you start a new save and see if it holds it, then you'll get your answer.

T_T

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I once had a loose cart connection to the SNES erase my Super Metroid save. Years later that same battery still works. I just make sure it has a solid connection. So it could be the adapter...

edit: ^ Dat Super Metroid save tragedy ;_;

Peagles

I once had a loose cart connection to the SNES erase my Super Metroid save. Years later that same battery still works. I just make sure it has a solid connection. So it could be the adapter...

edit: ^ Dat Super Metroid save tragedy ;_;

I started again on my JP copy on SFC and recently beat it, so I'm past the trauma now!

^__^

Olly88

Well I started a new game, saved and turned off the console. The file is there when I turn it on so I guess it was the adapter after all.

If it was the battery would it definitely not save at all? It's not like it can gradually go and last a couple of more plays before going again?

Peagles

Well I started a new game, saved and turned off the console. The file is there when I turn it on so I guess it was the adapter after all.

If it was the battery would it definitely not save at all? It's not like it can gradually go and last a couple of more plays before going again?

Yeh, as far as I understand, when it's flat, it's flat. It might still be there within a few seconds because it's still in the memory or something, but after a few minutes if it's still there I think it's unlikely to be the battery. Someone else might know better though.

Olly88

Yeh, as far as I understand, when it's flat, it's flat. It might still be there within a few seconds because it's still in the memory or something, but after a few minutes if it's still there I think it's unlikely to be the battery. Someone else might know better though.

Ok cool thanks. I'll load it again a bit later and save a couple more times and see if it still works.

Top Bottom