• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

(Cross posted from the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive thread.)

This week was great for retro reading material!

698BE4AC-2E8D-4F16-A4D5-D95967CC0DE8-10864-00000A82BDB6287E_zpsd90a9131.jpg

And the flip side of the same magazine:

D36D9AB5-EDC9-4779-849E-58B60E5546AE-10864-00000A82A6CEBCCC_zps3b1c4726.jpg

Latest issue of Retro Gamer:

DAA81BE9-09A4-4DFA-B0FA-33C914BCE36E-10864-00000A8288D3A057_zps84cd15f7.jpg

Yeah, you UK folk got this stuff a month ago, but it's new to me! =P
Any glaring inaccuracies in that book?

Velinos

On a related note, I saw WayForward did a live stream last night of them playing through Demon's Crest. I was hoping they would have announced their next game to be a sequel or remake to the Gargoyle's Quest trilogy, but no word yet.

EDIT: The stream has been posted for anyone who wants to check it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/wayforwardtv/c/3246623

Teknoman

On a related note, I saw WayForward did a live stream last night of them playing through Demon's Crest. I was hoping they would have announced their next game to be a sequel or remake to the Gargoyle's Quest trilogy, but no word yet.

EDIT: The stream has been posted for anyone who wants to check it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/wayforwardtv/c/3246623

Ohhh man...they worked on Ducktales so that makes it a lock!

New Firebrand EX Remix HD lets go!

Seriously though, I want a new G&G universe game. Maximo...something!

Velinos

I'm surprised that Capcom is letting this go at all, unless given how the Kickstarter is going they are confident that it will not meet its funding goal.

Dishwalla

Banned

Is this in bookstores right now? I might go over to Barnes and Noble later and see if I can pick one up.

Teknoman

So i've finally joined the Earthbound club. I havent played the game since...well since we rented it back in the Blockbuster days. So I know what classic RPG i'm going to tackle.

IrishNinja

^again that repro cart (as well as SMT 1 & 2) are my rainy-day JRPG's, looking forward to seeing how they rank for me after all these years

Chucker

I haven't played Lufia 2 since it came out. I really want to give it the old college try, I can't remember if I beat it or not.

I need to push through Lufia 1 one of these days. I got bored with it pretty early on. Was planning on doing Earthbound finally once I'm done with Assassin's Creed 4. Maybe I'll go back and try and finish Lufia first.

Also, randomly, got this in the mail a couple days ago. Don't think I ever played it as a kid, but saw a decent amount of it at a friends house.

So after getting into SNES collecting several months ago (I had several dozen games as a kid, but didn't buy another game until now), I'm up to 119 games (plus 2 repros and 2 SFC releases). As part of my newfound obsession with collecting, I found and read this entire thread over the last month! This has lead me to do the following:

1) Buy security bits and open and clean every single game I have (no cockroaches or spider eggs, but my Run Saber and Contra 3 had all sorts of gross crap in them...)
2) Bump up Ninja Warriors and Skyblazer on my wanted list
3) Contemplate a King of Demons repro
4) Hit up every thrift store, GW, pawn shop, and reseller in my travels. Best hauls: Super Bomberman 2, DKC 2, Goof Troop, Actraiser, and several others for $3 each; and a re-seller who (mistakenly?) had Run Saber, Liberty or Death, Final Fight 2, Super Turrican, and SOS for $8-10

Teknoman

2) Bump up Ninja Warriors and Skyblazer on my wanted list
3) Contemplate a King of Demons repro
4) Hit up every thrift store, GW, pawn shop, and reseller in my travels. Best hauls: Super Bomberman 2, DKC 2, Goof Troop, Actraiser, and several others for $3 each; and a re-seller who (mistakenly?) had Run Saber, Liberty or Death, Final Fight 2, Super Turrican, and SOS for $8-10

Off to a great start :D

EDIT: Does anyone know how to fix this problem, just got this tv from a friend:

download_zps7c545be0.jpg

download2_zps68eacc9b.jpg

I've literally tried everything I can think of from using different AV slots with different AV cables, Ive ensured no "dirty" power sources for both the tv and SNES, Ive tried messing around with the "convergence" to match up the colors but it only improves the picture marginally. Any ideas?

I was gonna say that was really impressive for the SNES, having a full-motion CGI intro like that.

Then I figured out that it was a DOS game.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Picked up my SNES today. What a gorgeous system, I played the whole afternoon Super Mario World and it made so much fun :D

I am very excited to play A Linkt To The Past after I bet A Link Between World :D

HaL64

Picked up my SNES today. What a gorgeous system, I played the whole afternoon Super Mario World and it made so much fun :D

I am very excited to play A Linkt To The Past after I bet A Link Between World :D

I am playing through LTTP right now in preparation for LBW. Just so I can get all the references.

Velinos

Picked these up from Barnes and Noble last night. It is interesting to see how things are different from a collectors standpoint for UK vs US, like how an English PAL Soul Blazer is the rarest SNES game.

metzger203

Just made the jump from composite to s-video for my SNES. It's a pretty noticeable improvement in overall sharpness, especially with text. Definitely worth the investment.

Anth0ny

Just picked up the SNES/Genesis book. Those covers are too good to pass up!

Was tempted to pick up the Wind Waker one too, but I'm broke ; _ ;

lupin23rd

Just got back from an 8 day business trip (ugh). But this was waiting for me. So good.

ljvNfw2.jpg

Nice pick up, mind if I asked what you paid?

I only saw one copy while I was in Japan for 6 months earlier this year, and it was at the overpriced Retro Game Camp shop. It may also have been sealed (it was definitely in the box). Didn't think the SFC one was as pricey as the SNES one but apparently I was wrong.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Demon Blazon has been edging up in Japan for a boxed copy, but you should be able to find it at sub 5k if you keep looking.

Though prices in Japan, as mentioned before, are a little weird right now - the rarer SFC stuff is going through the roof, whilst the other games seem to be dropping quite quickly

Demon Blazon has been edging up in Japan for a boxed copy, but you should be able to find it at sub 5k if you keep looking.

Though prices in Japan, as mentioned before, are a little weird right now - the rarer SFC stuff is going through the roof, whilst the other games seem to be dropping quite quickly

It's bizarre. Book Off seems to have jacked up most of their prices by quite a bit, but two years ago I got RockManX2 for 100 yen at a recycle shop, now even the cheaper stores seem to have all the SFC Rockman games for at least 1000, and X3 for considerably more, but the FC games have been going down. That said, I've been very lucky with the games I've found for 100-500 yen.

Unfortunately, Super Potato in Osaka is the closest place to me with really rare games, and it's a lot pricier than the stores where I get most of my games. Of course, after spending 2200 yen on Rudra there, I found it for 600 at a local shop, but I've never seen Live-a-Live for under 3400.

lupin23rd

Cheers, I only ever saw the one copy that was either 12000 or 16000 for a boxed copy (again possibly sealed). Never saw a single cart-only copy, either.

On the flip side, I only ever saw cart-only copies of Turtles in Time and Super Return of the Jedi, two games I was really hoping to find. Although I got close finding the game + instructions for Jedi in Osaka.

Musolf815

My girlfriend told me her dream gift is to get Super Metroid's original US box and manual. Looking on ebay it seems like the complete package is the only one for sale (she already has the SNES cartridge). Is there a way to get the box cheap without buying a reproduction? She won't like it if it's any kind of reproduction.

Technically only tangentially related to SNES as I traded my extra copy of Final Fantasy 3 for this via Craigslist. You guy's approve?

photo_zps7b1cb11a.jpg

-------
My girlfriend told me her dream gift is to get Super Metroid's original US box and manual. Looking on ebay it seems like the complete package is the only one for sale (she already has the SNES cartridge). Is there a way to get the box cheap without buying a reproduction? She won't like it if it's any kind of reproduction.

Its really difficult in my (granted short) eBay hunting experience to find the box selling separately - AT a reasonable price (I'd say for a good box its not gonna be below $45). Your almost always better off buying a sale of both the box and the game which you can either resell or keep as trade fodder (as I did with an extra copy of FF3 for the above pickup). But that's just one of my strategies. Best of luck!

Musolf815

Technically only tangentially related to SNES as I traded my extra copy of Final Fantasy 3 for this via Craigslist. You guy's approve?

photo_zps7b1cb11a.jpg

-------

Its really difficult in my (granted short) eBay hunting experience to find the box selling separately - AT a reasonable price (I'd say for a good box its not gonna be below $45). Your almost always better off buying a sale of both the box and the game which you can either resell or keep as trade fodder (as I did with an extra copy of FF3 for the above pickup). But that's just one of my strategies. Best of luck!

Thanks! I think I'll go with your strategy and just go for the box and game together.

Teknoman

Yeah I bet this time of year = best time for thrift.

Now if only I can come up on some Sega Saturn games in a thrift store. I've NEVER seen those.

I haven't seen old games in stores for years. I haven't seen anything other than a ps1 game in stores since the original xbox launched, unless I visited a retro game store. (I live near toronto).

Was browsing ebay just now and saw a guy selling so many wrapped games. I would buy them just cause I hate damaged boxes. I'd rather throw a box over keeping a damged one. But bidding on shrink wrapped boxes is so damn expensive. Retrogaming is such an expensive hobby sometimes :s

Top Bottom