• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

IrishNinja

So whats your personal consensus on the Retron 5 fellows? Just heard about it and (asisde from the delay due to some pin based hardware dilemmas) the prospects of this system is mighty intriguing to me. Grated only because it outputs HD image without software emulation/nor mods of any sort to my SNES itself. Also wireless controller ftw/use of hardware based emulation! Tantalizing...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So whats your personal consensus on the Retron 5 fellows? Just heard about it and (asisde from the delay due to some pin based hardware dilemmas) the prospects of this system is mighty intriguing to me. Grated only because it outputs HD image without software emulation/nor mods of any sort to my SNES itself. Also wireless controller ftw/use of hardware based emulation! Tantalizing...
Idea is cool, but I'll really need some knowledgable geeks to review the thing before I can really form an opinion.

My gut says that what is essentially an Android emulator will never be good enough for me, personally.. But I have my nerd reasons of authentic performance for that. It may be good enough for most people if it is free of real flaws, so let's wait for those reviews...

It's not hardware based though? ARM CPU with software emulation?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Thrift shop mining equivalent in Japan is basically hitting up the last few remaining mom and pop stores.

I got a good selection of mint condition SFC stuff for 500 yen a shot - including an Idea No Hi which goes for much much more - from a shop a few hundred meters away from where i live

Alas - the inevitable happens - and the store goes under.

Back in 2000-2001 the Chameleon Club chains were basically laws untu themselves so prices tended to be all over the place. They still have their moments - as do Book Off whose prices swing wildly from store to store. It's all part of the fun of the hunt, alas one that i'm actively no longer taking part in ... but i still remember the thrill of going hunting and finding something special.

... sigh. WALLET BE QUIET.

I was gonna buy that super metroid near mint sealed off ebay for my friends bday. I was thinking I would throw my best offer on the last seconds at 400 but its already past that....
Edit: it ended at 481USD

Watching donkey kong country atm
Edit donkey kong country sealed ending at 255USD

And now to see how the superior dkc2 does...
Edit 172.5USD

Idea is cool, but I'll really need some knowledgable geeks to review the thing before I can really form an opinion.

My gut says that what is essentially an Android emulator will never be good enough for me, personally.. But I have my nerd reasons of authentic performance for that. It may be good enough for most people if it is free of real flaws, so let's wait for those reviews...

Oh I have the same nerd compulsions/obsessions about the authentic hardware but never will I have the ability to authentically render SNES or GBA to HD (without breaking authenticity with mods/emulators in general or making a ridiculous investment in upscalers). The main thing that attracts me aside from the obvious visual upgrades is the fact your using actual carts so I can continue/relive my (real) saves as opposed to a emulated .SAV file. Also wireless SNES controller is a plus. If its at an affordable price (100$ max) I'm definitely interested to say the least.

It's not hardware based though? ARM CPU with software emulation?

Not entirely sure its architecture but it promises "[near lol] 100% accuracy via hardware emulation" rather than software emulation. Still I'm not sure about if its ARM based.

Teknoman

Thrift shop mining equivalent in Japan is basically hitting up the last few remaining mom and pop stores.

I got a good selection of mint condition SFC stuff for 500 yen a shot - including an Idea No Hi which goes for much much more - from a shop a few hundred meters away from where i live

Alas - the inevitable happens - and the store goes under.

Back in 2000-2001 the Chameleon Club chains were basically laws untu themselves so prices tended to be all over the place. They still have their moments - as do Book Off whose prices swing wildly from store to store. It's all part of the fun of the hunt, alas one that i'm actively no longer taking part in ... but i still remember the thrill of going hunting and finding something special.

... sigh. WALLET BE QUIET.

Its going to feel kinda strange once I hit the mark where i've got all the games i've wanted / discovered. Traveled to alot of places I wouldnt normally, just because of retro searching.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Its going to feel kinda strange once I hit the mark where i've got all the games i've wanted / discovered. Traveled to alot of places I wouldnt normally, just because of retro searching.

haha, it never ends though - there's simply too many platforms with too many games. What would make it more fun right now in Japan is the race against time - the retro games are starting to disappear.

IF i was to get back into it right now? I think i'd go clean up PS2 again. Prices are insanely low - they'll start climbing again sure enough. I topped out well on my way to 900 PS2 games - now i think i have about 10 post collection nuke.

Teknoman

Hmm didnt know jjrepro stopped doing repros. Now who will I get to translate my FF IV,V, RS3, and SD3 SFC carts at affordable prices?

Seriously though, because I still needed to do these and planned on doing Alcahest and Terranigma at some point lol.

Unless someone here would be willing to do so...ugh I shouldnt have waited so long to get these done.

IrishNinja

^say what? i thought she was back at it, coulda sworn i saw her up & running just a little while back on nintendoage...damn, never gonna get those last few ones cheap now

Hmm didnt know jjrepro stopped doing repros. Now who will I get to translate my FF IV,V, RS3, and SD3 SFC carts at affordable prices?

Seriously though, because I still needed to do these and planned on doing Alcahest and Terranigma at some point lol.

Unless someone here would be willing to do so...ugh I shouldnt have waited so long to get these done.

Damn, I didn't realize this. She is still listed on the NA list of repro makers. Looking through the thread it seems like she just got burned out, which isn't shocking. There were a few other repro makers on there warning her before she started that she was going to be absolutely flooded offering things that cheap. Looks like they were right.

In other news. I ordered a SD2SNES yesterday. Who knows how long it will take to get here from Germany, but should be cool.

Velinos

This place looks pretty good and they seem to have good reviews on nintendoage. They also sell both Alcahest and Terranigma.

http://www.timewalkgames.com/

I really want to play Terranigma, SD3, and Star Ocean on original hardware and have been going back and forth over ordering repros or just picking up a SD2SNES.

Teknoman

This place looks pretty good and they seem to have good reviews on nintendoage. They also sell both Alcahest and Terranigma.

http://www.timewalkgames.com/

I really want to play Terranigma, SD3, and Star Ocean on original hardware and have been going back and forth over ordering repros or just picking up a SD2SNES.

I'll email and ask. I like the "repro route" of getting the original SFC cart and then having the translated rom inserted intead of just transforming a totally different game (which I guess isnt really a reproduction anyway), so that way you still have the original art, cases, and possible box...just the game is now in English.

Time Walk is pretty expensive (though they did lower their prices a bit shortly after jjrepro came on the scene). There was also someone on here who ordered their red Earthbound Zero for the NES and was pretty unhappy with the results.

Both of these places are cheaper:

OCDreproductions - Ordered three things from them, 2 were great, 1 was okay. If you have the money, they give discounts on 4 games at a time.

Chip Masters - I think they're newer so they don't have a ton. They have real pictures that look good and their prices aren't insane.

haha, it never ends though - there's simply too many platforms with too many games. What would make it more fun right now in Japan is the race against time - the retro games are starting to disappear.

IF i was to get back into it right now? I think i'd go clean up PS2 again. Prices are insanely low - they'll start climbing again sure enough. I topped out well on my way to 900 PS2 games - now i think i have about 10 post collection nuke.
Wow, that's a lotta PS2 games. I was thinking about grabbing some PS2 stuff. Now IS the time. I doubt we will see a bubble the likes of the SNES, though. Something about the combo of pick-up-and-play 16 bit gameplay, the durability of carts, and nostalgia for an era when Nintendo platforms ruled makes these games so desirable. No other platform can match the breadth and depth of the niche titles on PS2, though. Those would be the games to go after.

Wow, that's a lotta PS2 games. I was thinking about grabbing some PS2 stuff. Now IS the time. I doubt we will see a bubble the likes of the SNES, though. Something about the combo of pick-up-and-play 16 bit gameplay, the durability of carts, and nostalgia for an era when Nintendo platforms ruled makes these games so desirable. No other platform can match the breadth and depth of the niche titles on PS2, though. Those would be the games to go after.

Nintendo platforms really seem like the ones that explode. Even N64 stuff is rising now.

Velinos

Damn, I didn't realize this. She is still listed on the NA list of repro makers. Looking through the thread it seems like she just got burned out, which isn't shocking. There were a few other repro makers on there warning her before she started that she was going to be absolutely flooded offering things that cheap. Looks like they were right.

In other news. I ordered a SD2SNES yesterday. Who knows how long it will take to get here from Germany, but should be cool.

Let us know how the SD2SNES works out. From what I have read the big advantage it has over the Powerpak or Everdrive, other than actively being improved, is that it can run the Star Ocean translation.

Teknoman

Sent a message to OCD repro to check, since I was pretty happy with Mother 3 GBA, and just translating carts instead of making new repro carts should be about the same amount of work aside from having to make a new label...I guess.

Chip Masters seems ok, so i'll look around their site later. If nothing bites, I guess I could just post a message on NintendoAge asking for the service.

Teknoman

Everyone I messaged that has anything to do with repro (on NA anyway), only does famicom cart translations. So now I guess i'll just wait for repro site replies, and if that doesnt pan out, i'll just do a direct request on the forum.

Bar81

Everyone I messaged that has anything to do with repro (on NA anyway), only does famicom cart translations. So now I guess i'll just wait for repro site replies, and if that doesnt pan out, i'll just do a direct request on the forum.

There's a guy on neo-geo.com that was still doing SNES/SFC stuff as of a couple of months ago.

plc268

If you're up to it, you can make your own SNES repros (including star ocean) if you buy the boards over at infiniteneslives.com (this is where timewalk gets their stuff from). They're pretty well priced. You need to buy the programmer as well, but that's a one time cost. And then, you just have to program the boards (simple) and stick them in a cart shell with a label.

Teknoman

If you're up to it, you can make your own SNES repros (including star ocean) if you buy the boards over at infiniteneslives.com (this is where timewalk gets their stuff from). They're pretty well priced. You need to buy the programmer as well, but that's a one time cost. And then, you just have to program the boards (simple) and stick them in a cart shell with a label.

Cool, i'll definitely look into that.

Velinos

Woah. I thought the only way to make repros were to use a doner cart, flash an eprom, and solder it on. If I can buy new boards, then I can easily do this myself for a lot cheaper. $20 board + $1 shitty game for the case seems very reasonable. Definitely going to get a board to test this method out.

Woah. I thought the only way to make repros were to use a doner cart, flash an eprom, and solder it on. If I can buy new boards, then I can easily do this myself for a lot cheaper. $20 board + $1 shitty game for the case seems very reasonable. Definitely going to get a board to test this method out.

I've been tempted to look into it myself, but I really couldn't find any good guides out there at all. Not that it really matters to me now since I have an SD2SNES on the way, but it'd still be cool to make your own carts.

plc268

I've been tempted to look into it myself, but I really couldn't find any good guides out there at all. Not that it really matters to me now since I have an SD2SNES on the way, but it'd still be cool to make your own carts.

I can probably make a guide... but there's a decent readme in the drivers zip for the flasher that explains the flashing process.

I can probably make a guide... but there's a decent readme in the drivers zip for the flasher that explains the flashing process.

Where I really got lost is with the wiring and bending pins. Or is that not needed any more when using new parts? I'd really be more interested in making NES stuff if that makes a difference.

plc268

Where I really got lost is with the wiring and bending pins. Or is that not needed any more when using new parts? I'd really be more interested in making NES stuff if that makes a difference.

The boards I'm talking about (that are from infiniteneslives.com) are completely prebuilt, no soldering required. You have to flash them using the flasher that is also sold on that website.

There's some other solutions to making repros using new boards (repropak at retrousb for the NES, and callanbrown.com sells one for snes) but they're more involved and may require donor parts anyway.

Velinos

Like plc268 said, they sell new pre-built boards that just need to be flashed and screwed into a cartridge case. SNES is easy because there is only one type of board and it looks like their board supports anything that did not require a custom chip. NES is a little more complex since there are several board revisions, but they seem to sell most of the popular ones.

TnK

I just ordered a SNES, and I am really planning to play lttp on it. Should I change the batteries as soon as I get one, if so, how do I do it?
Plus, is it worth getting gold label or player's choice lttp?

Velinos

I just ordered a SNES, and I am really planning to play lttp on it. Should I change the batteries as soon as I get one, if so, how do I do it?

I wouldn't worry about the battery going dead on you. Of all my SNES games, I have had only one go dead. Every other one still saves and holds a save. If it does not hold a save, then you can replace it. There are tutorials on youtube, but it pretty much involves using a soldering iron to remove the old battery and soldering the new one in.

As far as gold label or players choice, I believe they are identical so your choice.

Peagles

So, I'm a bit lost here, can I do a Super CIC mod myself? I can solder but can't really get clear on what it is I need exactly.

I believe the Player's Choice print came out in 1996 or 1997, so there's less of a risk of the battery dying on your play through since it's a few years newer.

linkboy

I still have my original AlttP that I bought in 1992 and the battery is still working great on it (kinda shocked about that too, but I'm not complaining).

Odds are the battery is still completely fine. Out of my entire collection I've only had three or four games that needed new batteries.

IF you ever need to change a battery, I use these. They're made to fit right in like the old ones. You just desolder the older one and pull it out, slide this one in and solder it. Takes like 2 minutes.

The boards I'm talking about (that are from infiniteneslives.com) are completely prebuilt, no soldering required. You have to flash them using the flasher that is also sold on that website.

There's some other solutions to making repros using new boards (repropak at retrousb for the NES, and callanbrown.com sells one for snes) but they're more involved and may require donor parts anyway.

Are they actually selling them? The listing says:

DETAILS AND PRE-ORDER

Production is just starting on these, with beta release planned for July.

And how do you know what byte size you want as there are four different options?

EDIT: Oops, double post.

plc268

Are they actually selling them? The listing says:

Yes, I've bought several boards from him (I've bought 10 total since july.) He just hasn't updated his site. You can place an order, or you can even email him if you have further questions, he's been super friendly about answering any questions I had.

And how do you know what byte size you want as there are four different options?

EDIT: Oops, double post.

In the case of Star Ocean, you want the 12mb cart (since it's a 96mbit game when uncompressed). Beyond that, the majority of repros you want to do are going to be 4mb (32mbit) or less. Of course, check your rom sizes before ordering.

TnK

Great to know that the batteries do last. Regarding the desolder, does it affect the original board?
Well, I just bought a lttp original label with manual and map (really, really good condition), but it has the name of the old user on top marked by using a permanent marker. It can be removed with alcohol, right?

Also, I am somewhat annoyed that a like new listing ended with 0 bids that had the exact same price as the one I bought. I was afraid that the price would escalate at the last minute, hence why I did not bid. I feel bad...

plc268

Great to know that the batteries do last. Regarding the desolder, does it affect the original board?
Well, I just bought a lttp original label with manual and map (really, really good condition), but it has the name of the old user on top marked by using a permanent marker. It can be removed with alcohol, right?

Also, I am somewhat annoyed that a like new listing ended with 0 bids that had the exact same price as the one I bought. I was afraid that the price would escalate at the last minute, hence why I did not bid. I feel bad...

Yea, desoldering wont hurt it, if you know what you're doing. But yea, it'll probably be fine. But if you want piece of mind, instead of just replacing the battery, install a battery holder.

And yes, rubbing alcohol will take care of permanent marker.

Lettuce

ended at $2,801.99....cotdamn
lol, what the fuck?

That is Ridiculous!!!! Does that mean my cart is worth 15% of $2,801.99.

Whats the background behind Metal Warriors anyways, i know it came out late in the SNES life cycle but it must have been mass produced and wasn't a must have game but any stretch of the imagination!

In comparison this is a bargain then....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Warriors-SNES-Super-Nintendo-NEW-SEALED-RARE-VGA-80-/121229226251

just search for Metal Warriors on eBay and loads of hits come up so its not even that rare!!

Top Bottom