• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Teknoman

Yeah I had no idea Metal Warriors was one of those expensive games. Honestly i'd rather have Wild Guns...but maybe I should look into Metal Warriors. I just kinda glossed over it since i'm trying to hang back and play some games instead of tracking em down.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just ordered a SNES, and I am really planning to play lttp on it. Should I change the batteries as soon as I get one, if so, how do I do it?
Plus, is it worth getting gold label or player's choice lttp?
20+ years of collecting here, and the only dead battery I've ever encountered was on Pokemon Gold/Silver (because it has an internal clock constantly chewing away at it).

I remember first reading a tutorial about replacing batteries in the late 90s. Thinking "this will be useful someday", and it's still yet to be....

20+ years of collecting here, and the only dead battery I've ever encountered was on Pokemon Gold/Silver (because it has an internal clock constantly chewing away at it).

I remember first reading a tutorial about replacing batteries in the late 90s. Thinking "this will be useful someday", and it's still yet to be....

What's weird is I've only had SNES games with dead batteries. Yet to have an NES game with one, despite them obviously being older. But, like I've said before, I've only had three or four out of my maybe 300 games, so it is rare.

Does anyone have an old, abused, but functional, SNES they wouldn't mind to have taken off their hands?

My sister and I were talking about a good first game system to get my nephews, and we both agreed SNES is a great starting point. They're toddlers, they don't need anything fancy.

SNES is hardy and has awesome games. We think it'd be a great fit..

Anyway, if anyone has an old thing that doesn't make a great piece in a collection, I'd be interested in it, will pay too.

PM me if you've got anything.

TnK

Batteries not dead even for NES games? That is GREAT to hear!
Which SNES games are must owns, and what should I expect the price to be (both boxed and unboxed)?

Rich!

Batteries not dead even for NES games? That is GREAT to hear!
Which SNES games are must owns, and what should I expect the price to be (both boxed and unboxed)?

I don't know about prices, but here's my definitive list of must-haves:

- Super Mario Allstars + World
- Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
- Zelda: A Link to the Past
- Yoshi's Island
- Super Metroid
- Kirby Super Star / Fun Pak
- Pilotwings
- Starfox
- Secret of Mana
- Illusion of Time / Gaia
- Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
- Super Mario Kart
- Tetris Attack
- Chrono Trigger
- Super Mario RPG

Every single one is a classic.

TnK

I don't know about prices, but here's my definitive list of must-haves:

- Super Mario Allstars + World
- Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
- Zelda: A Link to the Past
- Yoshi's Island
- Super Metroid
- Kirby Super Star / Fun Pak
- Pilotwings
- Starfox
- Secret of Mana
- Illusion of Time / Gaia
- Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
- Super Mario Kart
- Tetris Attack
- Chrono Trigger
- Super Mario RPG

Every single one is a classic.
By time, I will slowly get those and build my collection then. Some games I wont get though, like mario kart, tetris, and chrono trigger. I have CT on the DS.

Rich!

By time, I will slowly get those and build my collection then. Some games I wont get though, like mario kart, tetris, and chrono trigger. I have CT on the DS.

Chrono Trigger DS is imo the definitive version. I have no need for the SNES version either. Kirby Super Star Ultra on the DS is also the definitive version of the SNES game, with better graphics, new games, new modes and far better playability.

With Tetris Attack, you do realise it's not actually Tetris? It's panel de pon, just using the Tetris name:

tetris-attack-04.png

TnK

Zelda 1 was the first game with a battery. My early print run copy still saves. That's 26 years going strong :p
That really gives me hope. Problem is, a friend of mine just told me how their copy of lttp decided to delete their saves back in 2003-4 and stopped saving. I really don't want my save to dissapear when playing.
Chrono Trigger DS is imo the definitive version. I have no need for the SNES version either. Kirby Super Star Ultra on the DS is also the definitive version of the SNES game, with better graphics, new games, new modes and far better playability.

With Tetris Attack, you do realise it's not actually Tetris? It's panel de pon, just using the Tetris name:
That tetris game looks cool. Also, I need to track that DS kirby game.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh why must Megaman 7 and X 3 be so expensive. Just about the only 2 games I need/want.

Oh well at least I got some games back then that go for crazy prices now like E.V.O and Earthbound.

TnK

Ugh why must Megaman 7 and X 3 be so expensive. Just about the only 2 games I need/want.

Oh well at least I got some games back then that go for crazy prices now like E.V.O and Earthbound.
Wait, how expensive is MM7? It is one of the games I plan to finish on the SNES since I never played it.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it so expensive..... ='(

Solution: Buy japanese game, finish it, and read story online.

Well I already did beat both of them after borrowing them from a friend... No way he'd sell them to me if he knew the value of them haha. However I sure as hell don't want him pawning them off a used game store for 25 cents.

Still if I had X 3 I'd then have Megaman X 1-8
I want to throw X 7 in the thrash though.

Besides 7 I'm missing 1 and 5 for all of those.

Rich!

The solution to SNES game prices in most cases is to simply buy the Super Famicom version, actually. Sadly.

Unless it's a text heavy title, of course.

Rich!

Well when you put it that way that's not a half bad idea. Is it possible to put it in a USA SNES cart like this and still work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-X3...3354?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3cd9a9855a

Well...yeah. But the USA SNES can play Super Famicom games with no issues. All you need to do is open up the console and remove two plastic tabs so the SFC games fit.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Play-Super-Famicom-Games-on-an-American-Sup/

edit: lol beaten

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
That will work, or you could just remove the 2 tabs inside the cart slot and play carts from every region.

Of course I read about doing that. It would look so out of place with the rest of them though.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
But you'd be wasting money, really. And SFC artwork and cart/console design is far, far better than the American stuff:

I won't argue about the art. Oh well I have a pattern and I'm sticking with it.

Rich!

Any SNES flashcarts out there?

Only two that deserve any time.

Super Everdrive and SD2SNES. Super Everdrive is the basic kit, retails for £70. However, it has no enhancement chips. This means games like Super Mario Kart, Megaman X series, Kirby, Starfox, Yoshi's Island and many others will not play.

The SD2SNES is a beast of a flashcart which has every expansion chip soldered onto it apart from the SuperFX. This means it'll run almost every game you throw at it. It's also £120.

As far as I can tell, the SD2SNES seems to be on backorder pretty much everywhere apart from Stone Age Gamer, where you can buy it for $259.99.

Rich!

Best place to buy them is?

For anyone that bought repros, how is OCD's Song of Rudra quality?

Stone Age Gamer if you're in the USA. Retrotowers if you're in UK. emere.es if you're in europe.

$259.99 for the SD2SNES on SAG.

I bought SD2SNES (also Mega Everdrive) and it's pretty much just sitting here. Can't wait to use it so I don't have to keep switching carts. Is it user friendly?

TnK

Yes. You can get the board only for $190, but then you'll have to put it into a cart yourself.

Hmm. Seems like I will order one from stone age gamer then. I just hope it does not go out of stock in a month or so. I bought way too many things in this month.

BTW, how is the quality for OCD reproductions regarding boxed games? Would be awesome to own Treasure of Rudras boxed.

TnK

I looked at the Rudras box and it uses the fan-made Street Fighter IV font, lol.

The text above Rudras is really generic. They should have gone for something better. The text where it says Rudra is somewhat good though, reminds me of 90s anime text.

Lettuce

The solution to SNES game prices in most cases is to simply buy the Super Famicom version, actually. Sadly.

Unless it's a text heavy title, of course.

Yeah this is a valid solution, just snagged RockMan X2 & X3 for a grand total of £22 delivered to the UK. The US version would have probably ended up costing 5 times as much!!

And even then it's a fun thing to do. Here's my Mega Everdrive, made from a donor Sonic 1 cart and with a custom label I made:

Was pretty easy too.

This may be kind of a dumb question, but how do you print labels? I'm going to need one for my SD2SNES and was emailing a guy on ebay about it. He said he'd do it, but hasn't responded to my last two messages for some reason. Maybe I should just learn how to do it myself.

Rich!

This may be kind of a dumb question, but how do you print labels? I'm going to need one for my SD2SNES and was emailing a guy on ebay about it. He said he'd do it, but hasn't responded to my last two messages for some reason. Maybe I should just learn how to do it myself.

I designed it on Photoshop, printed onto decent glossy photo paper at a high dpi, and stuck it on with spray pva adheisive.

Lufia has to have the most random encounters ever. I swear you get 2-3 steps at best. Starting to grate on my enjoyment of the game. I feel like I'm a good ways in, so I'm going to keep pushing. But, yeah, annoying.

IrishNinja

Lufia has to have the most random encounters ever. I swear you get 2-3 steps at best. Starting to grate on my enjoyment of the game. I feel like I'm a good ways in, so I'm going to keep pushing. But, yeah, annoying.

that shit (only played 2) was troubling even in the day, part of why i wanted to get it but not for like $70+ at retail. i didn't care much for Breath of Fire 1 but at least i could buy items to tone down the grind.

HaL64

Crazy how many of us there are in the Champaign area. You could try bringing it to the Disc Replay that just opened, but they sell stuff so cheap, I can't imagine how little they must give sellers.

Yeah, love that place.
But selling to a reseller would be like flushing my money down the toilet.
I have contemplated standing outside of the store to pilfer customers. They get people selling good stuff there frequently.

Top Bottom