• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom:

ghPGVHG.jpg

Good, not great. Too many random battles and too drawn out for as thin as the story is.

Good enough that I'll check out the sequel whenever I find it locally someday.

Now continuing on my path of SNES RPGs I never played; on to either Earthbound or Breath of Fire.

...hero, your choice should be clear

Haha. Yeah. I think I was so shocked I loved Mother so much, there's some crazy part of my brain that is afraid I'll be let down by Earthbound, so I keep putting it off.

Kind of crazy that I've let a cart I paid $125 for sit for a year. I suppose it is time to do this.

Teknoman

Haha. Yeah. I think I was so shocked I loved Mother so much, there's some crazy part of my brain that is afraid I'll be let down by Earthbound, so I keep putting it off.

Kind of crazy that I've let a cart I paid $125 for sit for a year. I suppose it is time to do this.

Just say fuzzy pickles, and go for it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I just bought Plok and Bubsy, looking forward to try them out :) I know Bubsy gets a bad rep, but I remember when it came out it was a big deal and lot of people liked it. While Plok I think went very much under the radar (coming out pretty late), but looks pretty good from what ive seen.

StAidan

I just bought Plok and Bubsy, looking forward to try them out :) I know Bubsy gets a bad rep, but I remember when it came out it was a big deal and lot of people liked it. While Plok I think went very much under the radar (coming out pretty late), but looks pretty good from what ive seen.

I wasn't hot on Plok, but I always liked Bubsy as a kid. I sometimes got frustrated with the parallax scrolling because it made it really hard to tell how far you were traveling in the air (when the ground wasn't in view).

Bubsy doesn't get enough credit IMO. It was a lot of fun and the cheesy humor was really pretty amusing.

Morfeo

I wasn't hot on Plok, but I always liked Bubsy as a kid. I sometimes got frustrated with the parallax scrolling because it made it really hard to tell how far you were traveling in the air (when the ground wasn't in view).

Bubsy doesn't get enough credit IMO. It was a lot of fun and the cheesy humor was really pretty amusing.

Yeah, thats my impression to. Looking forward to try it out! Any other good, more obscure Snes plattformers out there? If you know and have played Plok, Im sure you should have a pretty good overview.

Picked this up at the book store in the mall by me. Its quite thick and worth checking out if your a SNES fan. When you flip it over, it becomes a Genesis book. Really cool stuff.

Ok, I need this in my life. Where can I order it?

StAidan

Yeah, thats my impression to. Looking forward to try it out! Any other good, more obscure Snes plattformers out there? If you know and have played Plok, Im sure you should have a pretty good overview.

Two more that I really liked but haven't seen a lot of buzz about would be Dinocity and SmartBall. They're both easier than, say, Plok or Bubsy, but Dinocity especially I think is worth playing through time and again.

Also, maybe B.O.B.? I haven't played that one in a very long time, so my memory might be faulty, but I remember it being decent even if it wasn't one of my favorites.

Velinos

I enjoyed Cool Spot and Rocko's Modern Life as a kid.

Ok, I need this in my life. Where can I order it?

I bought mine at a Barnes and Noble, not sure if they sell it online.

IrishNinja

Is there any place that sells it in NA?

sadly no, your best bet is to try your local barnes & noble and hope for the best...i hate doing this cause mine orders very few copies, fortunately i only need to do it for specials they put out like this cause RetroGamer subs can be cheaper than buying em newstand anyway!

D-e-f-

Banned
Two more that I really liked but haven't seen a lot of buzz about would be Dinocity and SmartBall. They're both easier than, say, Plok or Bubsy, but Dinocity especially I think is worth playing through time and again.

Also, maybe B.O.B.? I haven't played that one in a very long time, so my memory might be faulty, but I remember it being decent even if it wasn't one of my favorites.

CO-SIGNING FOR B.O.B.!

THE best music ever! (at least in a B.O.B. game :p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_tSkQ3L0Eg

SO FUNKY! I don't like the password system but whenever I play I just do so for the music, basically.

Picked this up at the book store in the mall by me. Its quite thick and worth checking out if your a SNES fan. When you flip it over, it becomes a Genesis book. Really cool stuff.

I wish I could find this. My B&N carries the monthly, but doesn't have this. Guy said they had no idea if they'd get it (or if they already had). Just suggested I keep checking back.

Beatrix

I'm extremely jealous of those who found amazing deals on games with boxes, and especially to the person who found those mint boxes in their new home. Only 9 games left in my personal SNES collection and I'll be done forever! Unfortunately they're all the expensive ones (Earthbound/X3 for example).

Morfeo

B.O.B. is good yeah, havent even heard about the two others, need to check them out. Thanks!

I enjoyed Cool Spot and Rocko's Modern Life as a kid.

I bought mine at a Barnes and Noble, not sure if they sell it online.

Yeah Cool Spot is great as well, havent heard about that other one, need to do some research I see :)

usually here from the publisher but it's currently out of stock...

Umihara Kawase! DS port is cheaper though.

Thanks both! Will see if I can get the book online, Think I am waiting before I start importing super famicom games, still a lot of western stuff I want to get. Might go for the DS one though, since that is region-free.

Peagles

Question - Do the guts of SNES consoles differ between regions to the point where they won't fit inside another regions' shell? I only ask because I want to use the insides of my SFC in a US SNES shell, but not sure if it'll fit/work.

Won't work. The mechs for the power, reset and eject are completely different, for one.

Neener, this does work! I finally got around to trying it :p

I've just acquired a very beat up PAL SNES with a bad (oxidised, bent pins) connector. I also had a (presumably working) yelled North American SNES with a presumably good connector. I would have loved to use the NA SNES as my primary console but I couldn't find a power cord here in New Zealand to fit that funky socket.

So now I have a PAL mobo inside a NA SNES, which I'm going to attempt a SuperCIC mod on when I get a programmer, then I might try that retrobrite thingy and get my purpley SNES all brand spanking new looking and voila! I should end up with a region free SNES that fits all carts and runs off NZ power!

Now to mod my spare RGB SCART cable to work with the PAL mobo, time to rip those capacitors out!

Linkhero1

sadly no, your best bet is to try your local barnes & noble and hope for the best...i hate doing this cause mine orders very few copies, fortunately i only need to do it for specials they put out like this cause RetroGamer subs can be cheaper than buying em newstand anyway!

As I said earlier, Barnes and Noble stores carry it. I have not seen it online.

Thanks. The closest one to my house didn't have it. I'll try another location. How often does that site restock?

Morfeo

Been thinking about getting Lost Viking 2, but the game is also available on next-gen, that is PS1. Does anybody know what version plays the best?

Is there any place that sells it in NA?
I live in the US, and i got it at Books A Million at my local mall. Its a huge book store. So yeah, its out there.

Also, you flip it upside down to get the Genesis side. So the spine is on the left still, and you read it like a normal book until you get to the middle. Which it then becomes a upside down SNES book. Bar code is on the Genesis cover unfortunately.

I live in the US, and i got it at Books A Million at my local mall. Its a huge book store. So yeah, its out there.

Also, you flip it upside down to get the Genesis side. So the spine is on the left still, and you read it like a normal book until you get to the middle. Which it then becomes a upside down SNES book. Bar code is on the Genesis cover unfortunately.

I almost bought that to read while waiting for stores to open on black friday, but it was over 20 bucks.

I almost bought that to read while waiting for stores to open on black friday, but it was over 20 bucks.

I actually didn't believe you, so i went and checked the price on the bar code and sure enough, its 20 bucks lol. Its worth it man, go back and get it if you can. 20 clams is about the pice of a good SNES tape!

Velinos

I actually didn't believe you, so i went and checked the price on the bar code and sure enough, its 20 bucks lol. Its worth it man, go back and get it if you can. 20 clams is about the pice of a good SNES tape!

Speaking of good SNES tapes for $20, I got Robotrek yesterday which I found for $20. The list of SNES games that I still need to find is getting smaller.

Pickups from Save Point Video Games... posted in the pickups thread as well but figured I'd share here too.

2MLJKzRl.jpg

Bahamut Lagoon, Clock Tower, Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes, King of Demons, Megaman and Bass, Super Metroid Zero Mission, Nightmare Busters, Secret of Man 2, StarFox 2, Tales of Phantasia, Terranigma, and Treasure of the Rudras

So many great games we never got to "officially" enjoy!

Linkhero1

I don't have one near me :(

Oh well. I haven't hunted for a SNES game for a while. Not sure what I want at the moment. Still don't have Dreamland 3 in my collection but I don't want to fork over the asking price.

Been thinking about getting Lost Viking 2, but the game is also available on next-gen, that is PS1. Does anybody know what version plays the best?

The basic gameplay is the same on all platforms; the main difference is the graphics. Blizzard made the SNES version. Ingame it says "1995", but for whatever reason the game doesn't seem to have been released until 1997. This version looks a lot like Lost Vikings 1, as you might expect given the platform, except with the various additions the second game has on all formats. I like the first game more, for sure, as some of those additions were not improvements in my opinion. I prefer how the first game clearly separates the characters into different types, while the second games' new characters can jump and attack which removes some of the puzzle strategy the first game had. Sure, there are new abilities, but... eh, I like the purer focus of the first game. The werewolf and dragon character can do too much. That grappling hook is kind of a pain to use, too.

Anyway, Interplay also had a PS1/Saturn/PC enhancement of the game made, which was also released in 1997. Maybe they delayed the finished SNES game until the ports were done? This version is called "Norse by Norsewest: The Return of the Lost Vikings", and the port was not made by Blizzard but by another studio. The level designs and layouts are the same as the SNES game, but the graphics are all-new, with a CG art style, competently done voice acting for all the text, and an animated CG intro cutscene as well. I like the voice acting and cutscene(s), for sure, but the ingame graphics... there I'm not so sure. Decent CG rendered sprites versus drawn art? Could go either way there.

The PC version of Norse by Norsewest should be avoided, though. The DOS PC version of the first The Lost Vikings is great, but the second game? Avoid it! Unlike the first game, the second one does not support gamepads, so you have to use keyboard or a mapper mapping keyboard keys to a gamepad, which never works quite as well as native gamepad support does. Also the Windows version was a complete pain to get to run in fullscreen even back in the '90s, never mind today. At least it also works with DOS, DOSBox makes using that easier... but just stick with the PS1 or Saturn versions, if you want to play Norse by Norsewest. If you want to try out the game and see whether the somewhat expensive SNES game is worth the money, maybe get it on PS1 first -- that version is much cheaper!

Teknoman

Speaking of good SNES tapes for $20, I got Robotrek yesterday which I found for $20. The list of SNES games that I still need to find is getting smaller.

Robotrek is next on my list of games to hunt down. Yet to see one out in the wild. Once I finish Earthbound and Breath of Fire I will hunt a copy down.

Flea markets this time of year i'd say. I actually got lucky with Robotrek a few months (July apparently) back:

Lucked up on Robotrek for 5 bucks today. We were at Trader's Village...which usually is hit or miss. Some guy had some SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox games on a table ( anything for 5 bucks) along with some in a glass case (stuff like Final Fight 1 for 15+). Everything was in great shape, but nothing I really wanted or was interested in...

We get ready to walk off, and then he pulls another small box of games from his truck, unpacks a few more games for the 5 dollar side, and I spot an enix logo on one of the games before it fell face forward. Of course I hurried back to the table and asked if these for 5 dollars too. He said sure, and now i'm the proud owner of Robotrek.

I've never played the game, but saw Enix and knew it had to be something fun. Apparently its like Pokemon but with a 2D Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter style battle system + robots?

Did anyone have luck finding games in a big city? I just started collecting but I've been having a hard time finding anything. =/

Visited practically every Goodwill in the NYC area. The electronics section always contains CD, DVDs, VHS tapes, and some gaudy looking lamps. Never any games.

The only luck I've had so far was an outdoor flea market this passed Friday. Even though there were few vendors there because of the impending storm the next day, I found this old man with a huge van and a table out in front of it with a few beat up appliances and PC games on it.

I asked him if he had any old Super Nintendo games. He very grouchily said "Yes, I have. Inside." <pointing at the van> "Do you want to look or do you want to buy?!", but I could hardly understand him because he had an accent (I think he was Korean). He asked the question a few times until I understood him. I said "I want to look and if there's something I want, I'll buy it if it's not expensive.". He waved me off and started straightening up around his van. I stood there for about a half minute wondering what the hell just happened, then he came back and said angrily "Do you want to buy or do you want to look!?". I said "Yes, yes! I'll buy."

As soon as he cracked open the door of the van open, I saw why he was so grouchy. It was filled from ceiling to floor and wall to wall with boxes. He went digging inside and all sorts of junk started falling out, including a Dreamcast VMU. He then pulled out a bin of games and put it on the table. Unfortunately, while there was like 40 games in the thing, the majority of them were all genesis sports games. However I did manage to snag a copy of Contra for NES, Super Mario Bros. (duckhunt + track version) with manual, and Donkey Kong Country. He only charged me $6, to which he cheerily said "Cool!" when I paid him.

I asked him if he had any more, but he said "Yes. Inside. Too much trouble. Come next week.".

The market is only held Friday - Sun, so now I'm going to be going crazy all week wondering what else he has in that van. Hopefully there aren't any storms next Friday or the following day, and he'll have the entire thing unpacked.

Olli128

Just put a chunk of my SNES (PAL) collection up for sale, is it ok to link it here?
On another note I'm so annoyed, I have Secret of Mana & Evermore hiding in my house somewhere, but can't find them!
My tip would be make sure you keep all your games in the same place as it's surprisingly easy to lose or accidentally buy a second copy :(

Teknoman

Did anyone have luck finding games in a big city? I just started collecting but I've been having a hard time finding anything. =/

Visited practically every Goodwill in the NYC area. The electronics section always contains CD, DVDs, VHS tapes, and some gaudy looking lamps. Never any games.

The only luck I've had so far was an outdoor flea market this passed Friday. Even though there were few vendors there because of the impending storm the next day, I found this old man with a huge van and a table out in front of it with a few beat up appliances and PC games on it.

I asked him if he had any old Super Nintendo games. He very grouchily said "Yes, I have. Inside." <pointing at the van> "Do you want to look or do you want to buy?!", but I could hardly understand him because he had an accent (I think he was Korean). He asked the question a few times until I understood him. I said "I want to look and if there's something I want, I'll buy it if it's not expensive.". He waved me off and started straightening up around his van. I stood there for about a half minute wondering what the hell just happened, then he came back and said angrily "Do you want to buy or do you want to look!?". I said "Yes, yes! I'll buy."

As soon as he cracked open the door of the van open, I saw why he was so grouchy. It was filled from ceiling to floor and wall to wall with boxes. He went digging inside and all sorts of junk started falling out, including a Dreamcast VMU. He then pulled out a bin of games and put it on the table. Unfortunately, while there was like 40 games in the thing, the majority of them were all genesis sports games. However I did manage to snag a copy of Contra for NES, Super Mario Bros. (duckhunt + track version) with manual, and Donkey Kong Country. He only charged me $6, to which he cheerily said "Cool!" when I paid him.

I asked him if he had any more, but he said "Yes. Inside. Too much trouble. Come next week.".

The market is only held Friday - Sun, so now I'm going to be going crazy all week wondering what else he has in that van. Hopefully there aren't any storms next Friday or the following day, and he'll have the entire thing unpacked.

Lol I know Ive dealt with vendors like that. Not too bad a price all things considered though, I've seen much worse.

Heh i've seen sellers like that too. I have no idea why people stack up items so high, boxes on top of everything, then you ask if you can look through anything and they flip out like you're annoying them. Or at least they sound like it.

I've run into people like that at thrift stores as well (keep all their games behind the counter, yet fact them in the opposite direction or have them randomly stacked too high).

On the bright side, that was a pretty good deal.

Umihara Kawase! DS port is cheaper though.

And better, since it also includes the PS1 game. Still great, but I wish you didn't have to finish the game in one playthrough. Only the 3DS game saves your progress, which may just be its best feature (although it has a traditional one sitting limited lives time attack through the game too).

Top Bottom