• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Mzo

That is some weird shit. If you haven't already, get some metal polish and use it to clean the contacts. It will get so much shit off it will blow your mind. I always open the cart up when I use polish so I can be sure to get it all cleaned off afterwards. Go over it with some rubbing alcohol, then of course make sure it's dry (and all the polish is gone).

If you're using a lot of metal polish and some elbow grease, all the black residue you're seeing that keeps coming off isn't layers of non-existing grime, it's the protective gold finish on your contacts being stripped away.

You should only use that stuff if the game is extremely dirty, and even then in small amounts, letting it sit and using very little force.

Anyways, did the price for Earthbound go down a bit after the VC rerelease? Wonder if I should just suck it up and get it finally.

Yes. It was about $200-250 on the regular on eBay before the release and was seemingly still climbing rapidly. Now you can get it no problem for $150.

There are definitely still people trying to push the price back up by putting up $200+ listings, but hopefully they fail.

HaL64

Yes. It was about $200-250 on the regular on eBay before the release and was seemingly still climbing rapidly. Now you can get it no problem for $150.

There are definitely still people trying to push the price back up by putting up $200+ listings, but hopefully they fail.

So the reason it went down is because the VC release?
I can't believe someone would pay $200 just to play it, and it not being that they wanted to own it in their collection. Given that, I'm not sure why the VC release would bring the price down. It's not like it came out and they were like "Oh boy now I can't finally play this game". Those same people who wanted to play it so bad could have played it on an emulator.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/earthbound

Looks to me like it did go down at the same time as the VC release, but that might just be a coincidence. As a matter of fact, as far as the trend is concerned, it hasn't changed much at all since the previous July.
But maybe pricecharting isn't very accurate.

So the reason it went down is because the VC release?
I can't believe someone would pay $200 just to play it, and it not being that they wanted to own it in their collection. Given that, I'm not sure why the VC release would bring the price down. It's not like it came out and they were like "Oh boy now I can't finally play this game". Those same people who wanted to play it so bad could have played it on an emulator.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/earthbound

Looks to me like it did go down at the same time as the VC release, but that might just be a coincidence. As a matter of fact, as far as the trend is concerned, it hasn't changed much at all since the previous July.
But maybe pricecharting isn't very accurate.

I'm only talking about Buy it Now listings 'cause that's all I ever pay attention to. They were constantly going for $200 or more before the VC release. It seemed to just keep climbing pretty rapidly. I'm sure auction prices were lower obviously.

I actually bought a copy for $120 locally. I had never played it, so I am one of those crazy people who is willing to pay that price just to play it the way it's meant to be played. Someone wound up listing one for "only" $150 on eBay shortly after which was in great condition, so I snatched it up immediately. I put my first copy up with a BIN of $250 and it was gone within the day. Prices were getting insane.

TnK

To those that have boxed games, is owning the box worth it? Looking at that earthbound title made me realize how nice it seems to have a box in near mint condition.

Don't know about anyone else, but I love owning complete copies of games.

Since I haven't posted in here for a while, here's my latest pick up:
jbcETLiq4Hkzgl.JPG

And a picture I took a few days ago with the rest of my boxed games:

They do cost more and are harder to find, though. I don't buy a lot of SNES games because of it. Most of it is stuff I got as a kid.

Sometimes I'm tempted to buy loose games just because they're easier to find and cheaper, but...I'm not a fan of loose games. The only loose SNES games I have are some sports games that a friend gave me inside of an N64 cartridge storage thing. The only really good stuff out of those are NBA Jam and NBA Hangtime, but I also own the superior Genesis and N64 versions of those...which have the boxes.

The only things I buy loose are random Atari 2600/7800 and NES games. I try to get as many boxed as I can, though, but I don't make as big a deal out of it for them. Mainly I just buy Nintendo and Capcom games with the boxes, as far as NES games go. If I find anything with a box for a good price, though, I'll usually buy it.

^

Damn, that's beautiful. That boxed Mega Man 7 has to be wroth a good chunk of change.

If you have the money to blow, the boxes are obviously awesome. No way I could afford my collection with boxes, though. I'm also constantly playing them, so the universal game cases are handier than dealing with the originals.

They are fucking awesome to see, though.

Yeah MM7 is crazy. That and Dracula X are the 2 expensive games I want most. Finding good condition copies of either that aren't $150+ is pretty impossible.

TnK

Amazing boxed collection, and my eyes instantly got locked at MM7. Kudos to you for owning it in such a great condition.

Looking at these though make me think that I should collect my old GBA collection as fast as possible before good condition ones are harder to find.

Hero, if you don't own a CRT, I suggest getting one for cheap. I have a philips that looks very similar to the sony one, and it is a charm to play SNES games on it.

I completely agree about boxed games. There's just something special about having them complete, but unfortunately, its hard to do with SNES without paying a lot of money. I only have 6 SNES games complete, two are Japanese SFC games, which are easier to find complete. I think my next purchase will be a complete Illusion of Gaia if I can find one at a decent price.

Of course when I find a good deal of cart only, its hard to pass up.

Here's my latest purchase, got both Secret of Evermore and Super R-type for $20
Haven't cleaned the cartridges off yet.

-KRS-

It's really a subjective thing. Sure it's nice to have boxes, but personally I only really care about the actual game so I'm fine with carts for most games. Especially if they're expensive. I also don't like boxes that are damaged, so if I buy CIB I want them looking acceptable to me which further brings the price up. But I agree that it is a special thing to own a box in nice condition especially with a good and expensive game that many people want.

IrishNinja

Yeah MM7 is crazy. That and Dracula X are the 2 expensive games I want most. Finding good condition copies of either that aren't $150+ is pretty impossible.

i got uncensored SFC Dracula X last year and never looked back, man! it's a good solution for several titles of mine, like Hagane, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy & Demon's Crest.

Champaign area GAF: http://chambana.craigslist.org/zip/4282772430.html

Heavy as fuck, but they are awesome.

price is right but i think people see WEGA and forget that (as i understand it) the later flat models are said to be not as sharp/good, unless it's just Trinotrons im thinking of

I ordered some of those replacement contacts for my SNES controllers and damn I haven't had this springy of a d-pad in a long time. It might be a little too hard to push in some cases.

Is there a safe way to clean the contact area on the actual PCB of the controller? A few of my buttons take a very intentional press even with the new rubber bits.

Peagles

I ordered some of those replacement contacts for my SNES controllers and damn I haven't had this springy of a d-pad in a long time. It might be a little too hard to push in some cases.

Is there a safe way to clean the contact area on the actual PCB of the controller? A few of my buttons take a very intentional press even with the new rubber bits.

I've had success in taking the controller apart and using isopropyl to gently rub the contacts with a cotton bud.

---

And fuckit, I'm just going to order those 2 Everdrives and see what happens! I've found out it's a reputable seller and they also do the AGS-101 kits for OG GBA so I think I'll grab a couple of them too!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
^

Damn, that's beautiful. That boxed Mega Man 7 has to be wroth a good chunk of change.

If you have the money to blow, the boxes are obviously awesome. No way I could afford my collection with boxes, though. I'm also constantly playing them, so the universal game cases are handier than dealing with the originals.

They are fucking awesome to see, though.

yeah its going for over $400 complete glad i picked it up complete when it was going for $50 and i thought that was expensive

price is right but i think people see WEGA and forget that (as i understand it) the later flat models are said to be not as sharp/good, unless it's just Trinotrons im thinking of

I thought these were the ones everyone liked? I know I like mine that I got for free off Craigslist. I'm not the pickiest person in the world, though. It certainly beats out the no-name brands I've previously used.

They are so beyond heavy, though. I'm going to have to stay at my current place forever 'cause I don't think I could move the 36" one again.

yeah its going for over $400 complete glad i picked it up complete when it was going for $50 and i thought that was expensive

I was talking with my wife about all the video stores we had around when we were kids that are all gone. We had four locally and a few the next town over. Every single one gone, and they all had a good amount of video game stuff. I just wonder what happened to it. You know they sold that shit for nothing, or worse yet I'm sure some just wound up thrown away because it was viewed as worthless at the time. And now, $400 for a complete MM7, $100 for cart only. Insanity.

^

Nice. Every time I see a copy of Axelay in the wild, the label is always fucked.

My gets from the last 24 hours:

AvP and Smash TV came in the mail today (thanks to eBay bucks) the other three I got last night. Battle Blaze was supposed to be free, have to go back to the store and bitch that they didn't give me my free game (they always do buy 5 get 6th free). That piece of shit isn't worth $2.99.

Can't believe there isn't a cover on the cover project for Smash TV. I thought everyone owned that game.

Something big coming tomorrow and another big item coming in however long it takes things to arrive from Mexico. Guy said it usually takes 3-4 weeks, but that seemed crazy to me since I usually get things from fucking Japan faster than that. I'm pretty spent money-wise for a bit after those two.

EDIT: Wait, Smash TV is on the cover project. It's just under Smash instead of Super. Awesome. Have 100 game cases supposed to be arriving this week to start getting my NES stuff protected. Going to fucking suck cutting them all.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Picked up a loose copy of Firepower 2000 at a flea market in Patchogue this past weekend... (among a bunch of NES games). I haven't played it yet but I hear it's quite the underrated game.

baphomet

Picked up a loose copy of Firepower 2000 at a flea market in Patchogue this past weekend... (among a bunch of NES games). I haven't played it yet but I hear it's quite the underrated game.

I actually picked it up yesterday at a thirft store myself. That along with porky pigs haunted house. Both by sunsoft oddly enough.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yea, never stack boxes. I used to have them all in a cardboard box and recently noticed that the weight started to crush the lower ones. I've since moved them to my main shelf.

My boxed games

My complete collection (except for buster busts loose! which I forgot in my SNES)

Sorry about the ipad camera shots.

I have a weird question. Do any of you keep your games in your basement? I have a furnished/finished basement, but I'm wondering if I need to get a dehumidifier to keep these things in better shape. Not only SNES games, but all of my games.

My dream is to get a house with a furnished basement that will become my game room. I would think the humidity should be completely fine down there if it's good enough for furniture and carpeting.

HaL64

Some someone decided to fill in the slot with permanent marker.
Anyone got any ideas how to get this out? So far I've tried a white pencil eraser, which got a lot off, but it's very hard to do. Especially along the inside edges.
SANY0002.jpg

Anyone got any ideas how to get this out? So far I've tried a white pencil eraser, which got a lot off, but it's very hard to do. Especially along the inside edges.
SANY0002.jpg

Had the same thing happen and used Krud Kutter. Keep it away from the sticker though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
SANY0002.jpg
Rubbing alcohol can dissolve permanent marker if you are lucky.

I once used it to clean sharpie off a gold Ocarina of Time. Looked brand new.

SANY0002.jpg

7wCvJE5.jpg

Someone on here suggested this forever ago and I've been using it since to get marker or stickers of my carts. Works great.

Use it with qtips. You absolutely do not want to get any on your label or it will be fucked.

HaL64

7wCvJE5.jpg

Someone on here suggested this forever ago and I've been using it since to get marker or stickers of my carts. Works great.

Use it with qtips. You absolutely do not want to get any on your label or it will be fucked.

Well that worked after going through about 10 qtips. However, it also changed the color of the plastic. :(
I think it will be just easier to build a time machine next time and kill the child who did this. Also I'll pick up a few copies of earthbound while I'm there.

Nice collection and I like the complete Super Star Wars but the weight is killing your boxes, especially Inspector Gadget.

I only stacked them real quick for the picture, since it was the easiest way to get them all in one picture. They're all on my desk there. I normally keep them on a shelf. Inspector Gadget has been like that since I was a kid.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well that worked after going through about 10 qtips. However, it also changed the color of the plastic. :(

Shitty. Try rubbing alcohol next time. It shouldn't have that effect.

I think it will be just easier to build a time machine next time and kill the child who did this. Also I'll pick up a few copies of earthbound while I'm there.
Stop 9/11

Finally getting around to posting this thread.

Here is my humble collection:

SNYVMTX.jpg

It's not as good as the one I had when I was a teenager, I stupidly sold it all to buy Final Fantasy 8. However, I've rebought a lot of it (and in some cases gained new stuff).

Games I'm hunting for in 2014:

- Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
- Super Metroid
- Final Fantasy 3 (a friend actual owes me this, hopefully it finally pans out)
- Harvest Moon
- Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3
- Super Return of the Jedi
- Mortal Kombat 1 & 3
- Super Street Fighter II

Two new pickups this week! Sorry for the poor image quality.

Bought a "new" tv off Craigslist for $25!
32 inch Sony Trinitron circa 2003

rhdel5A.jpg

Also I found this one locally.

xvAjRGy.jpg

HaL64

That Demon's Crest tho

This game is way over priced still.
Also someone brought up firepower 2000.
I attribute both Demon's Crest and Firepower 2000's popularity to Mike Matei's Top 10 Obscure SNES Gems video.

Noticed how both games appear to be affected by the video's release. July 2012.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/firepower-2000
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/demon's-crest

Looks like Wild Guns shot up at that time too:
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/wild-guns

-KRS-

This game is way over priced still.
Also someone brought up firepower 2000.
I attribute both Demon's Crest and Firepower 2000's popularity to Mike Matei's Top 10 Obscure SNES Gems video.

Noticed how both games appear to be affected by the video's release. July 2012.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/firepower-2000
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/demon's-crest

Looks like Wild Guns shot up at that time too:
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/wild-guns

Yeah I definitely think he has a huge influence on that. The same thing happened with Guardian Legend for the NES after he put it in the #1 spot in his Top 10 Obscure NES Gems video. I bought that game for like $8 or so but after that video it shot up to almost $20. Seems to have come down now again though.

Top Bottom