• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Picked up Buster Busts Loose and Gradius III for about $15 yesterday. What's the best way to get marker off of a SNES cart? Someone apparently went to town with an orange marker on the back of the Gradius III cartridge.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Picked up Buster Busts Loose and Gradius III for about $15 yesterday. What's the best way to get marker off of a SNES cart? Someone apparently went to town with an orange marker on the back of the Gradius III cartridge.

Try some Goo Gone. It may not get rid of all of it and you'll need to put some elbow grease into it, though.

I had to use it on a Guardian Legend NES cart I had because it had some Sharpie. It got rid of most of it, but you can still see the outline a bit if you hold it up to the light at the right angle.

TnK

My universal game cases arrived, hooray! What is the best paper to print the covers with, and also, do I need a specific printer for these things?

EDIT: Also, which site was it again to get all the covers for the games? Question mostly aimed at Hero of the Day, lol.

Mzo

If it's on the plastic itself: Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. It's like fucking magic.

It is microfiber sandpaper, so if you scrub too hard for too long you can smooth out the plastic, but I've cleaned off ancient permanent marker from games in seriously seconds.

I had an old, nasty Super Double Dragon from a rental place that I always assumed I would trade up. Cleaned off so much marker almost instantly, swapped out the back and it's mine forever.

Lighter fluid works great on the plastic, practically dissolves the marker.

If its on the label use Bestine solvent and thinner for rubber cement.

Goof-Off is really good for marker. Eat shit John Ford.

64959210550b11e3896e126b552b7add_8.jpg

I'd recommend it above magic eraser simply because it's a liquid and not rough sandpaper so you won't rub the texture of the cart off.

baphomet

I just use alcohol for permanent markers. If it's really bad I'll break out a magic eraser. Those things work awesome, but over doing it can make it look worse. I clean every console I get in and out with a magic eraser.

You really should be careful cleaning the game contacts though. Genesis games were covered with gold that wasn't shiny. Too much scrubbing can actually remove the coating from the pads, and in turn cause oxidation to happen much quicker than it normally would have. Good dust can show up black on a qtip as you're rubbing it completely off the contacts. Games that show shiny silver have had their gold coating completely rubbed off.

Mzo

Clean contacts with an art eraser, then wipe them off with rubbing alcohol. No worries.

If it's ridiculously bad I would use some glass stove-top cleaner dabbed on, left to sit and slowly wiped off.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
My universal game cases arrived, hooray! What is the best paper to print the covers with, and also, do I need a specific printer for these things?

EDIT: Also, which site was it again to get all the covers for the games? Question mostly aimed at Hero of the Day, lol.

The site is http://www.thecoverproject.net/

I've heard that legal sized paper is what you want.

TnK

The site is http://www.thecoverproject.net/

I've heard that legal sized paper is what you want.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

Also, seems like the game cases can't store manuals and maps. I don't know where to put my lttp manual and map. Really glad I got the cart and all the extras for a good price, but now I am kinda bummed out that I can't put it in the case.

Goof-Off is really good for marker. Eat shit John Ford.

I'd recommend it above magic eraser simply because it's a liquid and not rough sandpaper so you won't rub the texture of the cart off.
Poor John Ford, lol. My lttp cart has Heming written on the top. Don't know if I should remove it or not.

GloriousNL

Neo Member

Buster busts loose is a great game, very colorful.

-KRS-

There must be new shells though, because the SD2SNES comes in a newly produced universal shell that fits in both SFC and US SNES consoles. If you choose to buy it with a shell that is. They should start selling just the shells as well in my opinion because they're pretty nice.

And regarding Magic Erasers, are those things available outside the US? There must be something like it here in Sweden right? Or am I going to have to order this online?

JMPerona

Oh god... I really want a ntsc snes... but its too expensive to ship to Europe... I love this thread, I am so jealous! Keep the good work! I will stay in the shadows! :)

TnK

Oh god... I really want a ntsc snes... but its too expensive to ship to Europe... I love this thread, I am so jealous! Keep the good work! I will stay in the shadows! :)
Order a japanese snes. Much cheaper, and then buy one of those multi region enabling devices. Also a flash cart just in case. Really worth it.

JMPerona

Order a japanese snes. Much cheaper, and then buy one of those multi region enabling devices. Also a flash cart just in case. Really worth it.

DO you mean a Super Famicom? What kind of "multi region devices? Would I be able to play both PAL and NTSC games att 60hz??

GloriousNL

Neo Member
There must be new shells though, because the SD2SNES comes in a newly produced universal shell that fits in both SFC and US SNES consoles. If you choose to buy it with a shell that is. They should start selling just the shells as well in my opinion because they're pretty nice.

And regarding Magic Erasers, are those things available outside the US? There must be something like it here in Sweden right? Or am I going to have to order this online?

Yes, I meant new shells. I already murdered a game to get the shell, but it just does not look right without label. Are there no places which sell these new shells? Perhaps one of those repro sites?

Leonsito

shit, i need to make a list, then:

-magic eraser
-art eraser
-glue gone or whatever

all ive been using is q-tips, alcohol & brasso. what do you use for those rental VOID type tabs on genny carts? man they plague the shit out of my Gunstar Heroes.

For removing permanent marker from cartridges I use a normal pencil eraser, safer because there is no water or liquid involved that can damage the stickers, maybe is not that quick, but it works fantastic, I removed a name on a zelda NES golden cartridge.

-KRS-

In Japan they refer to them as melamine sponges. They seem to be quite common here.

Thanks. Hmm reading up on melamine foam it seems the foam is manufactured in Germany, so it should be available here in Europe as well. I'll have to google some more to see if I can find out what they're called here in Sweden.

-KRS-

Yes, a super famicom, and you buy one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-Super-...71033?pt=DE_Kabel_Adapter&hash=item5d47a0ad79

Not sure if they work on the SFC though.

They should work fine as a passthrough device. Not sure if it could be used to play PAL games on an SFC though. I don't see why not though if it's one of those adapters that you put two carts in so that it reads the lockout chip from the local/native cart to boot the import cart.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that a lot of those adapters do not have passthrough pins for the extra pins that some SNES games have, such as the SuperFX games. The best adapter I have is the AD-29 Universal Adapter and it does have the extra pins, so if you can find it get that one. That's also the only adapter I have that'll boot my copy of Earthbound on my PAL SNES.

Edit: Just googled and apparently there's an "Upgrade Version" of the AD-29 adapter as well. I'm not sure which games it supports that didn't work on the regular AD-29, but I guess the Upgrade Version is the one to get. But I have to say that I have yet to run into a game that my regular AD-29 couldn't boot. So if you can only find that it's still a really good adapter.

TnK

Yes, I meant new shells. I already murdered a game to get the shell, but it just does not look right without label. Are there no places which sell these new shells? Perhaps one of those repro sites?
Check all the sites that krikkz has on his main site. I remember seeing labels being sold on one of the sites.
They should work fine as a passthrough device. Not sure if it could be used to play PAL games on an SFC though. I don't see why not though if it's one of those adapters that you put two carts in so that it reads the lockout chip from the local/native cart to boot the import cart.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that a lot of those adapters do not have passthrough pins for the extra pins that some SNES games have, such as the SuperFX games. The best adapter I have is the AD-29 Universal Adapter and it does have the extra pins, so if you can find it get that one. That's also the only adapter I have that'll boot my copy of Earthbound on my PAL SNES.

Edit: Just googled and apparently there's an "Upgrade Version" of the AD-29 adapter as well. I'm not sure which games it supports that didn't work on the regular AD-29, but I guess the Upgrade Version is the one to get. But I have to say that I have yet to run into a game that my regular AD-29 couldn't boot. So if you can only find that it's still a really good adapter.
A much better answer than what I could have brought up. Thanks. Where can I find one that allows for JP games to be played on my system? I want to remove the small pins on my SNES, but my friend is highly against it. Says that it is a piece of hardware history, and is best not to be tampered with. Plus, I am kind of lazy to mod my SNES, lol.

-KRS-

Check all the sites that krikkz has on his main site. I remember seeing labels being sold on one of the sites.

A much better answer than what I could have brought up. Thanks. Where can I find one that allows for JP games to be played on my system? I want to remove the small pins on my SNES, but my friend is highly against it. Says that it is a piece of hardware history, and is best not to be tampered with. Plus, I am kind of lazy to mod my SNES, lol.

I assume you have a US SNES since you're talking about removing the tabs. I haven't seen a lot of adapters for US SNESes unfortunately, but I believe the common thing to do is to get a Game Genie and remove the tabs on that instead of the console, so you can put a JP cart in the top of the Game Genie. It then acts as a passthrough device.

Edit: Ah I just read this regarding the GG:
The Game Genie does not work with Super Nintendo games that contain a performance enhancing chip (e.g. Super FX, SA-1, and S-DD1 chip) such as Star Fox, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Doom and Street Fighter Alpha 2. It also has problems with the SNS-101 remodel SNES. When used with an SNS-101, only 2 codes can be used at a time, and they must be entered on the top and bottom lines of the Game Genie menu.
Sort of a bummer. So I guess don't try to buy Japanese games with "performance enhancing" (am I the only one who found that phrasing funny?) chips.

TnK

The JP games I have eyes on are not the ones with the enhanced chips. Plus, I own a Kunio-kun game that I have owned for more than 7 years now, and I bought it for $5.5 CIB

This game:
ShodaiNekketusKouhaKunio-KunGameFro.png

Mzo

Umihara Kawase locks up when using a Game Genie as a pass-through.

Your friend is an idiot, there are a million billion SNESs out there. Buy the shell off a junk unit if you ever want the plastic tabs back.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So I got a Pro Universal Adapter so I could play Seiken Densetsu 3, and I've a feeling my UA is faulty. I've cleaned the connector on it (at least the one that plugs directly into the SNES - I'm not sure the best way to clean the other two, as cotton buds don't fit in there) and all my carts are cleaned too. I've tried it with two PAL games connected, which in theory should work fine, but nothing.

I took a look inside at the board. I'm not entirely sure what would look faulty, but some parts of it seem rather duff to me. Does this look okay to you lot?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkli28ccaxsmbxx/adapter_sideA.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqtpno8sy7iu2k0/adapter_sideB.jpg

JMPerona

Ok, I need help now. I just bought a NTSC SNES but I need some games. I want complete games, of course, but for now I will buy the cheapest boxed game out there. The question is... which is the cheapest boxed game for the snes? Funny game, please.

And you know... If you have any game to sell to me... ;P

Ok, I need help now. I just bought a NTSC SNES but I need some games. I want complete games, of course, but for now I will buy the cheapest boxed game out there. The question is... which is the cheapest boxed game for the snes? Funny game, please.

And you know... If you have any game to sell to me... ;P

One of the cheapest, good, boxed games is F-Zero.

Teknoman

Pilotwings and Gradius 3 should be cheap as well.

Honestly its what you want to do. Personally I just go with whatever is the best alternative at the time. If you're buying NTSC stuff though, you might want to become a member of Nintendoage.com as well, just in case someone is selling something you want.

-KRS-

Is EBAY my only way to go if I live in Europe?

Depends on the country. In Sweden they have a sort of Swedish eBay called Tradera. Perhaps there's something like that in your country as well. Or something similar to Craigslist perhaps. But otherwise, yes. Especially if you want only NTSC games which can be hard to find locally in Europe. Usually ebay will be cheaper than the local websites as well.

edit: And isn't Starfox/Starwing also one of the cheaper CIB games?

Teknoman

Depends on the country. In Sweden they have a sort of Swedish eBay called Tradera. Perhaps there's something like that in your country as well. Or something similar to Craigslist perhaps. But otherwise, yes. Especially if you want only NTSC games which can be hard to find locally in Europe. Usually ebay will be cheaper than the local websites as well.

edit: And isn't Starfox/Starwing also one of the cheaper CIB games?

Should be. At some point I remember seeing whole boxes of F-zero complete on ebay for sorta cheap.

Yeah, I got my complete F-Zero off Amazon last year for around $19 shipped.

Looking at Amazon, looks like that price has jumped up to around $30-35 shipped, wow.

Teknoman

I would say check thrift stores/resale shops, but i'm not sure how that works out in Europe, especially if looking for totally different region games. Then again, Mega Drive and Super Famicom games pop up here from time to time.

JMPerona

Suicide for the prices? Well, i just want a few good one games. Im not searching for a complete collection or something. Its going to cost me a lot, but you must think that the Swedish SEK is more expensive than Dollar. I can buy snes games for the same price as a new modern game here in Sweden. And if you put it on a balance I will buy Snes games before modern games every day of the week. :)

Top Bottom