• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

IrishNinja

was going through an old-ass EGM and saw an add for a Nakitech gamesaver...save states for SNES! gonna have to look this one up.

-KRS-

Suicide for the prices? Well, i just want a few good one games. Im not searching for a complete collection or something. Its going to cost me a lot, but you must think that the Swedish SEK is more expensive than Dollar. I can buy snes games for the same price as a new modern game here in Sweden. And if you put it on a balance I will buy Snes games before modern games every day of the week. :)

Wait so you are also from Sweden then? Well as I said, there's tradera.com but the prices there have gone to shit lately for the most part. Sometimes you can get some nice deals though, but Buy-it-now prices are not worth it at all anymore. There's one guy there selling only Japanese games though and he has decent Buy-it-now prices. He usually sets the price to around what the games cost on ebay and often less. Here's his store: http://www.tradera.com/butik/Japanspel I've bought most of my recent games from him. I got Trip World for the Game Boy from him for like half the price it goes for on ebay for example.

And you can often find NTSC games on Tradera as well, although of course they're not as common. But when you do find them they're usually cheaper than the PAL counterparts.

Then there's blocket.se which is a bit like craigslist. You can make some nice deals there but you have to be fast because other collectors are also checking the site constantly like vultures lol.

Tales of Phantasia:

1PIFzpO.jpg

What is the general consensus on which is better, Tales or Star Ocean? Really hoping Star Ocean is better 'cause I was pretty much forcing myself to see this one through by the end of it.

Battles get super repetitive 'cause each dungeon only has a couple sets of monsters in them. The games difficulty pretty much only comes from enemies being cheap/annoying. So you essentially fight a monster party once, they are either super easy or you figure out what is cheap about them (teleporting into the middle of your party and rapid firing attacks that hit 2-4 of you) then you spend the rest of the dungeon spamming the same one skill per character that negates the chances of them using that cheap skill.

was going through an old-ass EGM and saw an add for a Nakitech gamesaver...save states for SNES! gonna have to look this one up.

A local place has a couple of these. One in the box, one not. Don't remember how much they want for them, I think $15 for the loose one.

Oh, also random pro tip I discovered last night.

This:

Is great at getting marker or sticker residue off of a cart.

This:

Will eat through the plastic of a cartridge like fucking tissue paper even if you dilute it with 50% water. Luckily I discovered this on the back of a cartridge so I just switched it out with the back off a worthless sports game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh, also random pro tip I discovered last night.

This:

Is great at getting marker or sticker residue off of a cart.

This:

Will eat through the plastic of a cartridge like fucking tissue paper even if you dilute it with 50% water. Luckily I discovered this on the back of a cartridge so I just switched it out with the back off a worthless sports game.

Did the second one have a warning about what kinds of surfaces you could use it on? You always have to be careful with chemicals and solvents you don't know anything about.

IrishNinja

ah, good to know! getting the spray of Goof Off, then.

A local place has a couple of these. One in the box, one not. Don't remember how much they want for them, I think $15 for the loose one.

yeah, that's about what i saw them for on amazon, just wondering if anyone had any impressions.

IrishNinja

nah...my prediction: marios, zeldas, etc & rare stuff retains its value; CIB for b/c tier stuff falls off a cliff when the bubble bursts.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
i dont know man maybe when our generation dies off but this stuff will just get more and more limited as time goes by and there are a lot of crazy people like me out there that want it all

-KRS-

I think Im just going to buy snes games on virtual console... I cant afford the prices of the games...

Ah don't be like that! A lot of games cost around as much as the VC versions for a cart only copy. And a lot of them are not significantly more expensive. Many games are expensive though, that's true. But you can always hope to find local game lots for cheap. It's getting increasingly hard to do that though.

You can also check second-hand stores for games. They usually have prices well below ebay/tradera. They do seem to know which games are more expensive though in some cases. And they mostly seem to have only sports titles and such, aka the games people leave behind when they browse for games there. But just today I was in an Emmaus second-hand store and found a cart of Banjo-Tooie for the N64. It was the only N64 cart in a pile of Mega Drive sports games. They wanted 225 SEK for it, which admittedly isn't a great deal or anything, but on Tradera it regularly goes for around 350-450 SEK for a cart so I picked it up. So you can definitely find worthwile games there for decent prices.

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking. I'm in Malmö myself.

Did the second one have a warning about what kinds of surfaces you could use it on? You always have to be careful with chemicals and solvents you don't know anything about.

Pssh. Who reads warnings?

I've used the spray stuff that comes in the plastic bottle before so I foolishly figured they were the same. I couldn't believe even after diluting it so it was half water it would still eat plastic.

The end of a page-long dream...

LOL.

i dont know man maybe when our generation dies off but this stuff will just get more and more limited as time goes by and there are a lot of crazy people like me out there that want it all

I think the higher prices get, the more people respond as above, or worse where they just download roms and emulators. I really have no prediction on how prices are going to go. But, I think at some point prices have to stop skyrocketing or most non-crazy people will just walk away.

Lol, I won't dissuade someone from going VC. That's the only way they can legitimately support the game nowadays.

Yep. No shame in realizing you can buy a WiiU cheaper than some SNES games.

Mzo

Look at old comics. People didn't make more, yet the prices PLUMMETED after the general public's interest and fly-by-night, insta-collectors (and the resellers they fed) moved along. The super rare stuff is expensive as hell and everything else is shit. It happens.

ZealousD

Look at old comics. People didn't make more, yet the prices PLUMMETED after the general public's interest and fly-by-night, insta-collectors (and the resellers they fed) moved along. The super rare stuff is expensive as hell and everything else is shit. It happens.

Wasn't there a lot if speculation with comics? Prices are going up for certain, but are they driven purely by greed or are people actually wanting to own this stuff?

IrishNinja

exactly. early 90s when motherfuckers thought they'd put their kid through college with chromium covers was a shit time. now? you can get bad girl # 1's and the amazing debut of the spider-clone for peanuts. like you said though, major first appearances/etc remain high.

Wasn't there a lot if speculation with comics? Prices are going up for certain, but are they driven purely by greed or are people actually wanting to own this stuff?

that's exactly what he's saying is happening right now, and given the state of things - resellers trying to control corners of the market & price-fix, people combing their garages after hearing about stadium events in the news or some shit, etc - i think that's precisely where we're at, SNES especially.

i'm not a huge fan of these dues (except maybe Roo) but some good points made here

Oh man, a price collapse would be glorious. I only brought up the Neo parallel since the the cardboard bozes they come in drive up the value significantly, and people are beginning to try and pass bootlegs as real.

smbu2000

Well I didn't really need it, but I picked up a SNES. My SFC (1CHIP) is my main system and I already have a SNES Mini. I didn't really need it, but it is the system I grew up with being from the U.S., so it is nostalgic. (My old one is still at my parent's house.)

It was just over 3,000 yen shipped on Yahoo Auctions JP, which is a pretty good price for being an import system. It included a controller, AC adapter and AV cables.

System is in alright condition. I gave it a quick cleaning and then cracked it open to check out the system board. I tested out a game and it worked fine. Now I have an extra SNES controller as well.

Jhriad

Comics also had long running and respected guides. Only recently have we started to cobble together pricing guides for videogames. It's no coincidence that the real upswing in price came when these were easily found by the public at large and not on some obscure forum like NintendoAge. It's unfortunate that the most popular pricing guide, pricecharting, isn't actually checked for inaccurate price records though. Because it records any sale of an item, regardless of whether or not payment is actually made, it has a lot of items listed as 'sold' that actually had to be relisted and sold for a lower value. These false sales just further inflate the prices.

IrishNinja

t's unfortunate that the most popular pricing guide, pricecharting, isn't actually checked for inaccurate price records though. Because it records any sale of an item, regardless of whether or not payment is actually made, it has a lot of items listed as 'sold' that actually had to be relisted and sold for a lower value. These false sales just further inflate the prices.

damn, that's some troubling shit i wasn't even aware of! ugh, and you get these dudes selling off that op figure constantly too.

ZealousD

It's unfortunate that the most popular pricing guide, pricecharting, isn't actually checked for inaccurate price records though. Because it records any sale of an item, regardless of whether or not payment is actually made, it has a lot of items listed as 'sold' that actually had to be relisted and sold for a lower value. These false sales just further inflate the prices.

The website will let you report prices as inaccurate. I've done it a couple times when it was clearly wrong. Never followed up though, so I don't know if the owner of the website did anything.

Mzo

Jay is such a dumb slob. Talking shit about the Genesis AND couldn't name the game he cares about the most in his collection ("Uh, you mean worth the most money?") Everyone knows the Game Chasers don't play or know shit about games themselves. They may as well be buying expensive rocks. Ugh.

Horrible.

Teknoman

Jay is such a dumb slob. Talking shit about the Genesis AND couldn't name the game he cares about the most in his collection ("Uh, you mean worth the most money?") Everyone knows the Game Chasers don't play or know shit about games themselves. They may as well be buying expensive rocks. Ugh.

Horrible.

Retro Liberty isnt so bad. I just like watching them (game chasers) since they sometimes give me some ideas where to search, Texas and all.

You know who is awesome for Sega? Strafefox.

IrishNinja

Horrible.

...yeah. they all kinda got their shots in there (even Roo!), but Roo knows gems and from what im told, Pat is a huge genesis fan. i'm okay with them saying the scene is worth beans compared to NES/SNES, that's pretty true outside of a few games here & there.

ill give Game Sack one thing: at least their Sega fan knows his shit.

Mzo

Joe Redifer is a big jerk, but he is talented and knows his shit. That puts him way higher than the Game Chasers.

I'm pretty sure the Game Sack fanboy personas are exaggerated for the show since they both own very nice libraries across all systems.

JMPerona

Well, I had a dream. I had a dream where I could find a cheap NTSC snes shipped to Sweden. I had a dream where I could find cheap games everywhere. But the "one-page" dream is broken after the last few days searchin for it everywhere.

ZealousD

Joe Redifer is a big jerk, but he is talented and knows his shit. That puts him way higher than the Game Chasers.

I'm pretty sure the Game Sack fanboy personas are exaggerated for the show since they both own very nice libraries across all systems.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's just for show. Dave is the Nintendo fanboy persona, but I remember watching their video where they show of their libraries and he's actually working towards getting a complete Genesis collection.

Just popped into the Book Off where I got Megaman X2 and several other SFC games for 105 yen a couple years ago. After a friend and I cleaned them out of the handful of good games they had, I had only sporadically checked the SFC section, as it was all sports, pachinko, horse racing, and a few Square games that I already owned. Checked last night, and the first game I saw was Majyuouh, a game I'd been looking for for a while. I also got Super Valis, Go Go Ackman 1, Super Bomberman 2, Shin Megami Tensei 1, and a couple Famicom games, Chesterfield and Raf World (Journey to Silius) for 105 yen each.

Teknoman

Just popped into the Book Off where I got Megaman X2 and several other SFC games for 105 yen a couple years ago. After a friend and I cleaned them out of the handful of good games they had, I had only sporadically checked the SFC section, as it was all sports, pachinko, horse racing, and a few Square games that I already owned. Checked last night, and the first game I saw was Majyuouh, a game I'd been looking for for a while. I also got Super Valis, Go Go Ackman 1, Super Bomberman 2, Shin Megami Tensei 1, and a couple Famicom games, Chesterfield and Raf World (Journey to Silius) for 105 yen each.

Majyuouh?!

friday-daaaamn-o.gif

I wish I could get that game for cheap. The first video I saw, I knew I wanted it...then Amazon/ebay had 0...now they're kinda top shelf pricing. I dont really want to get a repro of something that I dont need to understand japanese for either.

The Ackman series games are pretty fun too. I have no idea what there characters are saying, but Akira Toriyama character + action platforming is win win for me.

And my dream just come true!!!! I just bought a NTSC and Donley Kong Country 2 CIB!!! Now the waiting!!

Yeah, sometimes its best to just hang back from ebay, and check fan forums, this thread, or even the GAF buy/sell/trade thread.

Goly

Neo Member
Nintendoage has his own market place or only have list of Ebay ads?

I'm from Spain and I'm also interested but Ebay charges a customs service.. I hate to buy something on ebay now.

Jhriad

The website will let you report prices as inaccurate. I've done it a couple times when it was clearly wrong. Never followed up though, so I don't know if the owner of the website did anything.

Several months ago I went through a few hundred NES games and reported all the inaccurate entries. I forget the exact number but I ended up reporting over a thousand different listed sales. Unfortunately, while at the time reporting would immediately remove the entry from your browser list if you tried another browser (or, I assume, cleared your cache/cookies) you would see that the entry remained listed. For the few days I continued checking a few listings to see if they eventually were removed they continued to be listed. Another disturbing bit is that it was not uncommon to find inaccurate sale prices that were several months old, if not older. The really old listings were more often under the Complete & New tabs as only a few games sold infrequently enough to have old enough listings under Loose tab. From what I gather either no one is actually looking through very many listings to report inaccuracies, especially on games that aren't high traffic, or the site owner/staff don't really do much to correct mistakes. Really sucks to see what could be an excellent resource be pretty unreliable.

Yeah, I got my complete F-Zero off Amazon last year for around $19 shipped.

Looking at Amazon, looks like that price has jumped up to around $30-35 shipped, wow.

What the hell? I swear I checked prices last in October and it was $15. These price jumps are ridiculous.

Does anyone know if the "BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED" claims from the F-Zero Amazon listings are legit? I still find it hard to believe factory-sealed copies go for that cheap at this day and age.

Mzo

What the hell? I swear I checked prices last in October and it was $15. These price jumps are ridiculous.

Does anyone know if the "BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED" claims from the F-Zero Amazon listings are legit? I still find it hard to believe factory-sealed copies go for that cheap at this day and age.

There were a lot of boxes of Greatest Hits sealed SNES F-Zero floating around not too long ago. Like boxes that had a dozen games inside. It wouldn't surprise me to see that some are still being sold.

Greatest/Platinum/Player's Choice whatever Hits are completely worthless in my eyes.

There were a lot of boxes of Greatest Hits sealed SNES F-Zero floating around not too long ago. Like boxes that had a dozen games inside. It wouldn't surprise me to see that some are still being sold.

Greatest/Platinum/Player's Choice whatever Hits are completely worthless in my eyes.

That's sad to hear. My collection is small-ish and I wanted one factory-sealed game to kind of kick it up a notch a bit, but I don't want to waste money in a worthless sealed CIB just for the sake of having a sealed CIB.

I think I'll just stick with the bare F-Zero cart for now. Cheap enough anyway.

Teknoman

I'm from Spain and I'm also interested but Ebay charges a customs service.. I hate to buy something on ebay now.

Its more or less just a Nintendocentric fan forum, and has a pretty good buy/sell/trade forum section.

Leonsito

Being from Spain and having to buy SNES cartridges on eBay is horrible, everything is in bad shape or is expensive as hell :(

Goly

Neo Member
Being from Spain and having to buy SNES cartridges on eBay is horrible, everything is in bad shape or is expensive as hell :(

Thats the reason why I'm building mi Snes collection with NTSC games, Snes is a horrible console to collect here. The only PAL games I have are Terranigma and Illusion of Time, both costs me 80+ euros.

Sigh.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So I got a Pro Universal Adapter so I could play Seiken Densetsu 3, and I've a feeling my UA is faulty. I've cleaned the connector on it (at least the one that plugs directly into the SNES - I'm not sure the best way to clean the other two, as cotton buds don't fit in there) and all my carts are cleaned too. I've tried it with two PAL games connected, which in theory should work fine, but nothing.

I took a look inside at the board. I'm not entirely sure what would look faulty, but some parts of it seem rather duff to me. Does this look okay to you lot?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkli28ccaxsmbxx/adapter_sideA.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqtpno8sy7iu2k0/adapter_sideB.jpg

Anybody? Pretty please?

Peagles

Anybody? Pretty please?

Sounds like it's just not connecting properly. I have a similar adapter and I figured its because sometimes it's hard to get one cartridge game to work, right? But with these you have to have 3 connectors all good at once for the thing to even boot up. Just by chance, it's actually tough to get it to work. All I can recommend is to clean all connectors and carts thoroughly. Even when I did that, it'd still take a few tries, but it did get it working.

Top Bottom