• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

-KRS-

Also sometimes with my connector and certain games, it seems to not work with certain PAL games in the back. Switching to another PAL game usually works. I'm not sure if it is actually because of that or because of the connections as Peagles say, and that it just happens to work with the second cart. But I guess you can try it if you haven't.

Kainazzo

So, on a whim I decide to check out a couple of prices on eBay, just to see how the whole price explosion's going.

Holy moly, Megaman X3 is $150+ for just the cart? I got a replacement in 2007 for just $7.50, that's insane 0_o.

Demon's Crest for ~$100 is disappointing though. More people should be able to enjoy it. X3 is a fine game, but DC is a true, oft-overlooked gem of the times.

Edit: Then an actual auction like this. I remember seeing them at Gamefellas in 2006 for $20 each, and I thought they were overpriced then.

Peagles

Also sometimes with my connector and certain games, it seems to not work with certain PAL games in the back. Switching to another PAL game usually works. I'm not sure if it is actually because of that or because of the connections as Peagles say, and that it just happens to work with the second cart. But I guess you can try it if you haven't.

Some carts definitely work better than others.

-KRS-

So, on a whim I decide to check out a couple of prices on eBay, just to see how the whole price explosion's going.

Holy moly, Megaman X3 is $150+ for just the cart? I got a replacement in 2007 for just $7.50, that's insane 0_o.

Demon's Crest for ~$100 is disappointing though. More people should be able to enjoy it. X3 is a fine game, but DC is a true, oft-overlooked gem of the times.

Edit: Then an actual auction like this. I remember seeing them at Gamefellas in 2006 for $20 each, and I thought they were overpriced then.

Hehe yeah it's crazy. I've resorted to buying Super Famicom versions of some games because they haven't been as affected... yet. I got Rockman 3 for around $20 or so for a cart. And yes that last part you mention is how I think about a lot of games these days. Like Mega Man 1 on the NES. Around 5 years ago I saw a cart of it in a local game store for 300 SEK and thought to myself "lol 300 SEK?! Are you insane? Who would pay that?!". Nowadays I'd throw my money at it for that price. There's a lot of games like that which I wish I had bought sooner, because they might've been expensive before but it's just crazy nowadays.

Edit: Oh shit I meant $20 for a Rockman X3 cart, not Rockman 3. :p

IrishNinja

^absolutely. a year ago when i was filling in gaps, i bought a lotta gems on SFC to save $: Dracula X, MMX3, Demon's Crest, Hagane, R-Type 3, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, etc. the system mods so easily and some titles like Drac actually come uncensored, so it's a bit've a win-win for me.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
Someone linked a youtube vid for cleaning the yellow off carts and controllers a while back, anyone know the link? I can't find it anymore.

I started re-collecting SNES games around this time last year with the intent of reacquiring titles that I stupidly sold or lost when I was younger and to also be able to have physical copies of games that would likely never be re-released on digital platforms. And although it's been slow going, this is what I have to show for it a year later:

GeVLMrE.jpg

(*Not pictured: F-Zero)

Not terrible for a year's work, I guess. Super Metroid, Final Fantasy III (VI), and Demon's Crest are next on my list of must haves, along with Mega Man X thru X3, Mega Man 7 and a Super Game Boy. After that, I'll probably start getting around to the rest of the Capcom/Konami stuff that I haven't gotten around to, yet. Here's to another year of SNES!

Teknoman

Funny enough, Final Fight 1 is the only Capcom game I wont end up getting on SNES. Just cant see why they took out co-op.

That being said, if you like beat em ups, you should check out Rushing Beat Shura.

Linkhero1

I regret not starting my collection earlier. I actually never thought about it and was going to rely on the VC for all the older games. When I realized that the VC was shit, I started my collection. I wish I wasn't scared of online purchases at the time either. It might have pushed me to start buying earlier =/

Funny enough, Final Fight 1 is the only Capcom game I wont end up getting on SNES. Just cant see why they took out co-op.

I keep forgetting there's a lack of co-op in this game. I still enjoy it though :p

-KRS-

BTW, regarding the Super Game Boy you should just get the Japanese Super Game Boy 2. It's not that expensive even though it came out in 1998(!). The original Super Game Boy has a slightly higher CPU clock rate, so games run a little faster than they're supposed to. It's not VERY noticable in most cases though but since the SGB2 isn't that expensive might as well get that. And it also has a link cable port for multiplayer.

You'd have to get an adapter that has pass-through pins for the expansion pins though, or just take out the tabs inside the SNES so that Super Famicom games can be plugged in directly.

Is Bonkers any good?

It's decent. Not as good as Capcom's best Disney stuff (Magical Quest, Aladdin), but it's alright. Pretty much rips off the dash mechanic from Buster Busts Loose, though.

Yeah, it's pretty boring (and unforgiving, holy crud) without co-op, but it was about $5, so I figured why not.

I plan on getting the Sega CD version one of these days, though.

BTW, regarding the Super Game Boy you should just get the Japanese Super Game Boy 2. It's not that expensive even though it came out in 1998(!). The original Super Game Boy has a slightly higher CPU clock rate, so games run a little faster than they're supposed to. It's not VERY noticable in most cases though but since the SGB2 isn't that expensive might as well get that. And it also has a link cable port for multiplayer.

You'd have to get an adapter that has pass-through pins for the expansion pins though, or just take out the tabs inside the SNES so that Super Famicom games can be plugged in directly.

Didn't know that about the SGB1! Might actually spring for that, then. The tabs in my SNES are already removed for importing purposes.

TnK

Umihara Kawase locks up when using a Game Genie as a pass-through.

Your friend is an idiot, there are a million billion SNESs out there. Buy the shell off a junk unit if you ever want the plastic tabs back.

Just mod it TnK. You cant see from the outside whether or not its been modded, and it doesnt alter any NA cart gameplay.

Will think about modding it in the future, but not now. I may end up buying the JP games that I want, and simply download the game on my SNES flash cart.

Speaking of Kunio games, definitely check this one out.
Shin_Nekketsu_K%C5%8Dha_Kunio-tachi_no_Banka.jpg
Will do.

Speaking of which, I finished LttP and DKC1. I take back what I said about LttP being over rated, I actually enjoyed it immensely. Really great game. On the other hand, DKC1 was a really really average platformer. DKCR is a billion times better than DKC1, and I will never understand why my friends constantly say the original games are better. Maybe if I play DKC2 I will change my mind?

-KRS-

DKC2 is certainly better, but I also sort of agree that the SNES DKC games are a bit overrated. They do have nice atmosphere and music, but the gameplay is really kind of average. The level design is pretty good and creative at times though.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
DKC2 is certainly better, but I also sort of agree that the SNES DKC games are a bit overrated. They do have nice atmosphere and music, but the gameplay is really kind of average. The level design is pretty good and creative at times though.

Well, that depends when you played them. DKC was state of the art when it was released and I drooled all over it that Xmas.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Welp, I tried cleaning my Universal Adapter inside-out with WD-40 (the special kind for cleaning circuit connectors) and it's still not working. Guess it's a dud. Bums. :(

*Waits on eBay for another one*

Will think about modding it in the future, but not now. I may end up buying the JP games that I want, and simply download the game on my SNES flash cart.

Will do.

Speaking of which, I finished LttP and DKC1. I take back what I said about LttP being over rated, I actually enjoyed it immensely. Really great game. On the other hand, DKC1 was a really really average platformer. DKCR is a billion times better than DKC1, and I will never understand why my friends constantly say the original games are better. Maybe if I play DKC2 I will change my mind?

DKC2 is a really great game.

Get equipped with M.Collection!

Are you going to add the PS1/Saturn/PS2 games as well or just leave it at that?

Not the Saturn or PS2 ones. Don't have any interest in those systems. I have Eight and X5 already for PSX. Will definitely get the rest of the Xs, not sure about Legends. I never really cared for them. If I ever find them locally for cheaper than eBay prices I'd probably jump on them.

Teknoman

Yeah, as much as I like Megaman...Legends just doesnt feel like something i'd chase down. I do have the first game, and need to put some more time in...but the bit I played didnt seem to really grab me.

TnK

Legends 1 and 2 are really fun games, 2 much more so. The first has not aged that well, but 2 holds up.

My favorite 2 MM series' are Zero and Legends. I started out on X and the original btw.

Seems like I need to track DKC2 down.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'll probably drop the coin on the rest of the MM games myself. They're just too important to me. And now it's easy to catch up on the collection since the series is dead ;(

TnK

I love Mega Man Legends. :(

Legends 2 is better, though. I really wish 3 hadn't gotten cancelled...
X3 was released on the ps1? I thought only Japan got it. Rockman X3 was my first ever MM game. I remember when I bought Megaman X4, I went "Man these guys are totally ripping off X3, even down to the name and characters" lol. Then I got MM8, and was annoyed that he could not wall jump nor dash.

X3 was released on the ps1? I thought only Japan got it. Rockman X3 was my first ever MM game. I remember when I bought Megaman X4, I went "Man these guys are totally ripping off X3, even down to the name and characters" lol. Then I got MM8, and was annoyed that he could not wall jump nor dash.

Nah, that's the PC version, which is based on the PlayStation version. The game never got released in the U.S. on the PlayStation, though it did get a PAL release.

I also used to have Mega Man X4 on PC, but I lost it at my old house, and I could never find it. Heh.

Oh, I also have Mega Man 2 and 10 on the Wii, and 9 on PlayStation 3.

Not the Saturn or PS2 ones. Don't have any interest in those systems. I have Eight and X5 already for PSX. Will definitely get the rest of the Xs, not sure about Legends. I never really cared for them. If I ever find them locally for cheaper than eBay prices I'd probably jump on them.
Yeah, as much as I like Megaman...Legends just doesnt feel like something i'd chase down. I do have the first game, and need to put some more time in...but the bit I played didnt seem to really grab me.

You are bad people. Games were amazing adventures that while really different from the standard Megaman titles didn't hurt or let down the name. First one in particular had a fully explorable island that you gradually unlocked new areas through power ups that gave direct abilities which made it feel more than just finding keys to get in new places. Which was amazing for a console adventure game of the time. The npcs had something new to say after about every even minor event in the story, and there were a lot of them. Tons of optional events and side quests that you really have to explore to find as well.

So yeah, Legends may not be much like the mainline or X games but try not to hold that against them. As their own games I feel they stand up to the other great adventure games of their time, even OoT (while the first one even came out a full year before OoT).

Don't mind me, still massively bitter over canceled MML3.

Krelian

Man, I need to finally buy all the SNES Mega Man games. Even though I'm a fan of the series I hardly have any games anymore. All I have right now are MM1 and MM2 for Game Boy, Mega Man Anniversary Collection and Mega Man X Collection :/

Teknoman

Man, I need to finally buy all the SNES Mega Man games. Even though I'm a fan of the series I hardly have any games anymore. All I have right now are MM1 and MM2 for Game Boy, Mega Man Anniversary Collection and Mega Man X Collection :/

Unless you find good deals, go SFC for Megaman 7, X2, and X3.

Damn that's awesome.

However, you are missing one piece of the collection:

Rpdujl0.jpg

I love my Megaman 9 cart <3

It's a shame 9 and 10 aren't out on Steam. Don't have a PS3 or 360 any more so they are completely lost to time for me now.

You are bad people. Games were amazing adventures that while really different from the standard Megaman titles didn't hurt or let down the name. First one in particular had a fully explorable island that you gradually unlocked new areas through power ups that gave direct abilities which made it feel more than just finding keys to get in new places. Which was amazing for a console adventure game of the time. The npcs had something new to say after about every even minor event in the story, and there were a lot of them. Tons of optional events and side quests that you really have to explore to find as well.

So yeah, Legends may not be much like the mainline or X games but try not to hold that against them. As their own games I feel they stand up to the other great adventure games of their time, even OoT (while the first one even came out a full year before OoT).

Don't mind me, still massively bitter over canceled MML3.

I actually enjoyed what I played of the first game when it came out (I got it for my birthday right after it released). I never finished it, though. I figured they don't hold up that well these days to people who didn't have an affinity for them originally. It's not really that I don't like them, it's more that I just don't care about them.

Mzo

I know but I honestly don't see the situation improving.

I have some Todd McFarlane action figures and Beanie Babies I'd like to sell to you at a very high price.

Mega Man is way too hot right now. People will move on. People will forget.

It's a shame 9 and 10 aren't out on Steam. Don't have a PS3 or 360 any more so they are completely lost to time for me now.

It's also on the Wii, which should be hooked up to an SDTV anyway.

Krelian

I have some Todd McFarlane action figures and Beanie Babies I'd like to sell to you at a very high price.
Well, I don't plan on getting the expensive US or PAL stuff. And I'm not buying anything right now. I'll just see what I can find.

By chance, has anyone here picked up a Super Retro Trio, and if so, can it run SD2SNES/Mega Everdrive etc? Do those clone systems normally run those? I'm trying to use my actual carts as little as possible, especially since I have so many now.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Oooh Flying Hero looks neat!

Just got a bonus from work so on the hunt for some sweet ass Kiki Kakai action. Found a decent cart only auction on eBay... gonna be hard not to go over my limit on this one. Such fond memories.

Goly

Neo Member
I want to pick up a japanese Demon Crest but I dont know if there are menus or text in japanese. I would not care if there is text but if all the menus are en japanesse... Its going to be a present for a good friend... Also i can play with it too :3

Also im looking for a list of exclusive japanese videogames without text like S. Metroid but is very hard to find a good one. Have any of you a list like that?

Top Bottom