• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I want to pick up a japanese Demon Crest but I dont know if there are menus or text in japanese. I would not care if there is text but if all the menus are en japanesse... Its going to be a present for a good friend... Also i can play with it too :3

Also im looking for a list of exclusive japanese videogames without text like S. Metroid but is very hard to find a good one. Have any of you a list like that?

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but here are some pics of the Japanese version of Demn's Crest.

Start Menu:

yr5QeDT.png

Item Menu:

Dialogue:

I believe Japanese Super Metroid straight up has an English language option.

Goly

Neo Member
Not exactly sure what you're asking, but here are some pics of the Japanese version of Demn's Crest.

Start Menu:

Item Menu:

Dialogue:

I believe Japanese Super Metroid straight up has an English language option.

Sorry, mi english is very bad :(

Wat I was trying to say is if the game is playable for non japanese speakers like super metroid or platformers.

Goody

Here's a question for you guys. Not directly collecting related but I thought I'd give it a shot.

My SNES is acting up and this is bumming me out. When I turn it on cold the image is garbled. After 30 seconds or so the image stabilizes, but there's severe ghosting. Does it need cleaning? A capacitor replacement? Do I need a new control deck?

Tried all the obvious fixes. Used several different A/V adapters, replaced the frayed power cable with an official Nintendo one. Still persists. I cleaned as best I could without opening it up too.

brainpann

Here's a question for you guys. Not directly collecting related but I thought I'd give it a shot.

My SNES is acting up and this is bumming me out. When I turn it on cold the image is garbled. After 30 seconds or so the image stabilizes, but there's severe ghosting. Does it need cleaning? A capacitor replacement? Do I need a new control deck?

Tried all the obvious fixes. Used several different A/V adapters, replaced the frayed power cable with an official Nintendo one. Still persists. I cleaned as best I could without opening it up too.

What revision is your SNES:eek:ld or jr? My guess would be a capacitor replacement.

Drain You

I'm sorry if this has been talked about previously, but do any of you on here have suggestions for what to keep boxed games in for a display? I was looking into shadow boxes but I have no idea if the depth is what it needs to be for a boxed Snes game. I recently acquired the Donkey Kong Country trilogy all sealed and I want to keep it in something more sturdy than the softshell plastic cases. Message me with any suggestions as I don't always have time to check this thread

<3

Chinbo37

Question -

I want to sell my SNES collection. I need to take stock but basically it is a functioning SNES and about 30 games. Most cart only, a couple of boxes here and there.

I dont think I have any really rare games, but it would make a great starter for someone who wants to get into SNES games who maybe never played before or who want to get into collecitng and dont mind cart only.

how would you recommend I sell it? Should I sell it as one collection or shoudl I break it up and sell games separately etc? If I kept it together what would be a reasonable asking price? Obviously it depends on the games but lets imagine i have games like SMW, SFII, SSFII, Actraiser, mario RPG, Killer Instinct, FZero, etc.

Should I try ebay, craigslist or maybe GAF buy sell trade?

Question -

I want to sell my SNES collection. I need to take stock but basically it is a functioning SNES and about 30 games. Most cart only, a couple of boxes here and there.

I dont think I have any really rare games, but it would make a great starter for someone who wants to get into SNES games who maybe never played before or who want to get into collecitng and dont mind cart only.

how would you recommend I sell it? Should I sell it as one collection or shoudl I break it up and sell games separately etc? If I kept it together what would be a reasonable asking price? Obviously it depends on the games but lets imagine i have games like SMW, SFII, SSFII, Actraiser, mario RPG, Killer Instinct, FZero, etc.

It will take a little more time, but you'd make more money selling the 'big name' titles separately. Personally with all the fees I wouldn't go the ebay route, you may have better luck with craiglist. With the retro craze nowadays, you'd have no issues getting some decent cash for the really good titles in your collection.

But I should ask, do you 'really' want to sell it? I sold mine off about 10 years ago, with some really solid titles that fetch a pretty penny today. I had sellers remorse literally two days later. I did wind up getting another snes a few years later and a good portion of the games I had before, but it was hard and I paid more for it all than I had sold my collection for previously. And nowadays, finding 'treasures out in the wild' for cheap is more and more unlikely as even the thrift stores are going online and checking out prices.

Hey guys, need some advice here, i just received a list of some SNES games a guy i know is selling, is there ANYTHING remotely decent on here? :

Pac Attack

Pilot Wings

Lucky Luke

PowerMonger

StarWing (not interested)

Nigel Mansell Racing (not interested unless it's awesome?)

The Duel

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Hey guy, need some advice here, i just received a list of some SNES games a guy i know is selling, is there ANYTHING remotely decent on here? :

Pac Attack

Pilot Wings

Lucky Luke

PowerMonger

StarWing (not interested)

Nigel Mansell Racing (not interested unless it's awesome?)

The Duel

There's nothing special about the list at all, really.

Aside from StarWing, I'd say Pilotwings is the only decent game on that list, but it's not rare and you can get it cheap elsewhere so I wouldn't spend too much on it. I haven't played Lucky Luke, but it seems like a decent platformer. I probably wouldn't buy it, but if you're a fan of platformers it might be worth a shot.

Question -

Piece out the more valuable games for sale separately, then sell the worthless ones as a lot with the console.

smbu2000

Semi-SFC related, but I finally got my hands on one of those Wii SFC classic controllers. I'd wanted one since I first saw them, but I wasn't a Nintendo Club Platinum member at the time so I couldn't get one.

I've only seen them lately for 3,000 or 4,000 yen so finding this one in seemingly new condition was great for only 1,480 yen.

Fox Mulder

Drain You

Finally found a site that offered hard cases for boxed Snes games. UV protective too which is nice, only negative is that it takes 2 weeks or so to process I think. Hopefully it is worth it.

Picked up Majyuou and Gunman's proof for SFC recently, and I definitely recommend both. Majyuou feels like a simpler, shorter Castlevania without many pickups but with more moves. Gunman's Proof is totally a Link to the Past knockoff with a cowboy kid, but it seems like the puzzles have been entirely replaced by action with guns and bombs. A lot of the background graphics look ripped right out of LTTP. Neither one is an all time great, and the Japanese text tends to scroll very quickly in each, but both are loads of fun.

Shining

Picked up Majyuou and Gunman's proof for SFC recently, and I definitely recommend both. Majyuou feels like a simpler, shorter Castlevania without many pickups but with more moves. Gunman's Proof is totally a Link to the Past knockoff with a cowboy kid, but it seems like the puzzles have been entirely replaced by action with guns and bombs. A lot of the background graphics look ripped right out of LTTP. Neither one is an all time great, and the Japanese text tends to scroll very quickly in each, but both are loads of fun.

What a coincidence. Yesterday, my last and final order from Timewalk Games (so bummed they are closing) containing english translated repros of Live A Live, DoReMi Fantasy and Gunman's Proof arrived. Gonna start with GP this weekend! Seems like a nice little ALTTP clone, as you stated.

TnK

Semi-SFC related, but I finally got my hands on one of those Wii SFC classic controllers. I'd wanted one since I first saw them, but I wasn't a Nintendo Club Platinum member at the time so I couldn't get one.

I've only seen them lately for 3,000 or 4,000 yen so finding this one in seemingly new condition was great for only 1,480 yen.

I also have this, and bought it a really long time ago. I wonder how my local game store got a shipment of these controllers, lol.

I asked before how they compare with the real controller, and richisawesome answered saying that the feel is different. From my experience, the controller is really mushy. All the buttons and the D-Pad feel that way. Didn't really like it that much when I tried it.

Chinbo37

But I should ask, do you 'really' want to sell it? I sold mine off about 10 years ago, with some really solid titles that fetch a pretty penny today. I had sellers remorse literally two days later. I did wind up getting another snes a few years later and a good portion of the games I had before, but it was hard and I paid more for it all than I had sold my collection for previously. And nowadays, finding 'treasures out in the wild' for cheap is more and more unlikely as even the thrift stores are going online and checking out prices.

Thanks for your feedback and I appreciate your point. Basically I dont really care about having the physical system and games anymore. It just sits in a box, and in fact I no longer even live in the US so unless I took it over to Europe with me I wont ever use it. Also most good games you can get on virtual console or just emulate them (shrugs).

IrishNinja

As a social experiment, let's monitor Plok values over the next few weeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLqDaPmxsmg

having finally watched it: no, Roo...no. i appreciate the sentiment but reject your deposit.

it's a forgettable platformer like the rest you mentioned. as an SNES fan i appreciate your focus on Sonic as a generic 90's "attitude" platformer alone - after all, who but EAD could do masterful, non-linear level design, right? - but this is one of those case of just cause no one talks about it don't make it a classic. the game has ambition, but it doesn't fully deliver on it, and no amount of buzzwords can change that.

don't get me wrong dude; i dig Decap Attack but i don't argue that future generations should check it out. when a genre is the dominant one, only the cream of the crop should remain for the future to appreciate (including the hidden gems, of course) but Plok wasn't one of those.

having finally watched it: no, Roo...no. i appreciate the sentiment but reject your deposit.

it's a forgettable platformer like the rest you mentioned. as an SNES fan i appreciate your focus on Sonic as a generic 90's "attitude" platformer alone - after all, who but EAD could do masterful, non-linear level design, right? - but this is one of those case of just cause no one talks about it don't make it a classic. the game has ambition, but it doesn't fully deliver on it, and no amount of buzzwords can change that.

don't get me wrong dude; i dig Decap Attack but i don't argue that future generations should check it out. when a genre is the dominant one, only the cream of the crop should remain for the future to appreciate (including the hidden gems, of course) but Plok wasn't one of those.

I got another Plok review for you, Irish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv63ejjfTgU

Masterful.

smbu2000

I also have this, and bought it a really long time ago. I wonder how my local game store got a shipment of these controllers, lol.

I asked before how they compare with the real controller, and richisawesome answered saying that the feel is different. From my experience, the controller is really mushy. All the buttons and the D-Pad feel that way. Didn't really like it that much when I tried it.
Is it really like that? I haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet. From the way it looks I thought it would be like a real SFC controller. I'm going to have to test it out myself this weekend. It should at least be better than my classic controller.

Rich!

thought you caught a ban tho?

Ehhhh yes. And I've had the flu for a week and a half. Either way, ive had many sleepless nights coughing up my insides whilst browsing gaf, banned or not. Just not been able to post, of course. Still kept myself updated with everything whilst logged out though.

My games did arrive yesterday anyhow- Kirby Super Star, Yoshis Island, Super Mario Kart, Panel de Pon and Pilotwings.

They're all the JP versions (text isn't an issue for me with any of them as I know them inside out). Altogether they cost me around £25 including shipping. If I had ordered the PAL or USA copies, I'd be looking at near £70 easily.

Lets hope the console turns up today...as nice as the SFC cart artwork is to look at, it's not enough.

Teknoman

Are there any Shiren the Wanderer series repro carts out there, or does the Wii game pretty much take care of any interest there?

Rich!

Got some more games on the way today! Link to the Past USA, Donkey Kong 1-3 JP, Metroid and Super Mario All Stars. Again, these were all a fraction of the cost of the standard English price! (apart from LTTP, of course. fuck playing that in Japanese)

I also got a Super Everdrive, as shown below in a shot with a couple of JP games. I've got an SD card full of real-hardware compatible hacks and translations ready to go! Looking forward to giving Parallel Worlds Remodel a decent go - I've never actually got to the part I helped code yet (extra music coding for a couple of later dungeons), which is kinda bad. Eventually, I will!

edit: it's here!

First off, Pilotwings, Kirby and Yoshi work fine. Super Mario Kart and Panel de Pon do not work at all. I'm worrying now that I've got two dud carts. fuck. Anyway...

THIS WIRELESS CONTROLLER IS AMAZING! I can sit at the other side of the room aiming the thing at the ceiling, and it still picks up every button press! It's great to hold, buttons are excellent and there's no lag I can tell of!

Also, this console looks great via my XRGB:

Got some more games on the way today! Link to the Past USA, Donkey Kong 1-3 JP, Metroid and Super Mario All Stars. Again, these were all a fraction of the cost of the standard English price! (apart from LTTP, of course. fuck playing that in Japanese)

I also got a Super Everdrive, as shown below in a shot with a couple of JP games. I've got an SD card full of real-hardware compatible hacks and translations ready to go! Looking forward to giving Parallel Worlds Remodel a decent go - I've never actually got to the part I helped code yet (extra music coding for a couple of later dungeons), which is kinda bad. Eventually, I will!

edit: it's here!

First off, Pilotwings, Kirby and Yoshi work fine. Super Mario Kart and Panel de Pon do not work at all. I'm worrying now that I've got two dud carts. fuck. Anyway...

THIS WIRELESS CONTROLLER IS AMAZING! I can sit at the other side of the room aiming the thing at the ceiling, and it still picks up every button press! It's great to hold, buttons are excellent and there's no lag I can tell of!

Also, this console looks great via my XRGB:

I wish I could find a super Famicon :(

Top Bottom